Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VW LT 40 Luton van conversion

Options
  • 21-05-2009 8:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

I just acquired a LT40 Luton Van. Thanks to all the great advice I got off these boards.

I'm flying over to the UK to pick it up on Sunday.

I will be kitting it out myself with my wife over the next couple of weeks (Not planning on hanging around).

I will keep you updated on the progress if people are interested.

I have done a few conversions in the past, but never the less Any Advice is welcome.

Once again, Thanks for all the addvice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭acein1

sol mb
    good luck with your project,always wanted to do something like that,but never got around to it,a bit to old now sadly

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

Thats a fine big van,some wip photos would be great.Good luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Nice one. That's as big as a house!! You will be easy to spot on your travels. Best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Sol_MB

Thanks.

It's not as big as it looks, I think these pictures where teken with a wide angle lense. I am told it messures 22F6Inches from bumper to bumber thats just under 7 Meters.
    It's 7 Feet wide and 10 feet tall.

As soon as I get it back in the country I will take some pictrues my self.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

If you get a chance between this and commencing building , have a look at a few race support trucks. They'd be based on the same and bigger.
    Will be a great thing to convert , space along the sides for generator and bits n pieces .

Just for an idea of size ( this is built as a workshop ,some others are built as campers ) :

740IL-boxtruck011.jpg

740IL-boxtruck010.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 gumballz

Thats a nice van! 411.jpg

Back from the UK.

After 3 extremely stressful days I am back from the uk with my van.

It's quite big, I went into a bit of shock when I first saw it.

However I'm getting used to it, it's wider than anything I have ever driven before.

It needs a bit of attention, mechanically, A good Service all round should sort most problems.

Possibly one of the injectors isn't working properly and I think the engine could do with Retiming.

I believe I saw a thread that recommended a VW mechanic?

Here are a few pictures, I might move this project to a new thread as the title of this one doesn't really suggest the content. :)

Here is a couple of photos. There will be some more intersting ones later next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Looks like there is plenty of space. Will be great when its finish. There will be a lot of work involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Sol_MB wrote: »
    I might move this project to a new thread as the title of this one doesn't really suggest the content.

As it's your thread, you should be able to edit the heading under EDIT/advanced options ...if not, I can do it for you if you wish

That would be great, I can't seem to find the Edit thread button

Something like "VW LT40 Conversion" might make a better title.

Thanks.

MODEDIT: done :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Hi Sol

Best of luck with the project, any idea yet what the fuel consumption on it is?

Btw antone have any idea on the fuel consumption of a Toyota Dyna or those small Mitsubishi/Isuzu trucks (esp with a box body). I know it depends on the shape of the box and whether it has a deflector but I just need an idea.

Used to have a Merc 608 van and then a 709 minibus, they use about 22-27mpg or 11-13l/100km.

Thanks

Hi,

Yep, I think I am getting about 22 to 27, top speed 50miles an hour.

Hoping I might get an extra mile per gallon after she is serviced, I think one or more of the injectors isn't firing properly, which would affect the consumption, As well as dirty filters and the like.

Today,

I took the sign writing off the box, nice hot day it came off pretty easy.

And cleaned the mud from under the van, it looked like it had never been done, There was a foot ball sized lump of mud behind the driver side front wheel, after chipping it away, I found at its centre part of the handbrake mechanism, No wonder it was a bit stiff!!

As I can't do any mechanic’ing for a few days so I'm planning on starting the insolating and panelling tomorrow.

I will take a few pics and post them tomorrow evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Good luck with the build Sol - keep us posted.

Sol_MB wrote: »
    I took the sign writing off the box, nice hot day it came off pretty easy.

Jizer will remove adhesive residue if there is any left.

http://truckconversion.net/

"jizer" hahaha, that’s the funniest name for something that removes a sticky residue.

Thanks you.

Nearly finished stage one of the sealing, can't go any father untill the hardware store opens.
    Will post a a picture tonight.

Lol @ jizer

Sika do decent enough sealer for car panels etc , would be better than most stuff at diy stores.

http://www.sika.co.uk/

Hi, Thanks.

Sorry I ment putting wooden panels on the roof, not sealing the roof, I'm dyslexic, and relie on the spell checker to correct my spellings sometimes it lets me down.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Nice LT. They're pretty much indestructible, and could pull down a house! Get underneath and check the points where the Luton body meets the chassis, as they often sheer off from the flexing of the top heavy body.

What plans have you got for it? Race Camper or an all out Love Den on Wheels? :p

Thanks, I have cleaned the underside and everything seems good, I will have my mechanic take a quick look to double check.

It will be 85% camper, I was thinking of putting one bed in the Luton and a second the same height at the back, this would give me a huge boot space, that I can fill with sound equipment. I think that is okay providing it is not for profit or gain (Insurance).

The middle section will be the living room and kitchen, on family holdays some of the boot may be turned into a bit of a kids room, for when the weather is bad. The rest of the time we hope to be travelling with another couple (The kids go to stay at their fathers house at the weekend, complicated won’t go into it now) this should make those trips across Ireland a lot cheaper.

I was up half the night worrying about money, somehow I am running €1000 over budget and it's leaving it very tight.

I have three options If I want to keep it on the road this summer.

1: Finish the camper conversion and import straight as a camper. Test, Tax and Insure it. This is the most expensive. But also the cheapest in the long run.

*I just about have enough cash to do this but it would leave my bank account at €0

2: Import it now as a Van, Test and Tax it (my Current insurance will cover me to drive). This is the cheapest for now, but in the long run will cost more.

*I can afford this, but it means paying out an extra €300/€400 Euros, long term. Also not really supposed to be using a commercial vechel as a camper but probably won’t get hassled providing everything else is in order.

3: Keep it on English plates, convert it, leave my van insurance on it and hope I get through the summer without being hassled.

*I like this option, it would mean we got the use of the van for the summer without costing me too much. But, I don't think the Garde would like it too much. It says on the tax web site that you have to import the vechle the next day, but Most people seem to think you have three months (Unofficially).

Any thoughts and experiences on this?
    My dad has his jeep confiscated, but then he had no insurance, and had been driving the jeep in Ireland for 6 months.

Of course the thing I should do is take the van off the road for the summer, tip away at it then import tax and insure it as a camper at the end of the year. The problem there is that I have to tell my wife and children that, I’ve effectively spent all the money and we won’t be going on holiday this summer. L

Still to be honest, everyone I know is in debt, I am in credit and have just brought a massive toy. So things are good.
    Any thoughts?

• Advertisement

Since all you need is

a fixed bed
    permanently fixed sink unit
    hob with 2 rings ,

could you just install them , register it as a camper and still be on budget ?

The ones you install don't have to be the ones you will have in it forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

legally speaking, you have to register any imported vehicle within 24 hours (or the next working day) ...so you'd have to register it now as a commercial and re-register it as a camper once you're done.

Thanks.

Things are back on track, Sat down and figured out costs and a plan of action for coming up with the money, extreme budgeting for one month.

Going to import it as a Van and do the mechanicing and then put it through a DOE and tax it (approx 2 weeks). Then I will put in the windows, side door and the door between the box and the cab.

I have small cooker and Gas Fridge (Old but still working), for the rest we will use some spare furniture that we can use. That will get us through the summer, come the autumn I should be able to finish the job properly. Change it to a camper and bobs m uncle.

Do you know, for importing, do I have to have the V5 registration document in my name to import the van?
    I have the document but it is in the Name of the previous owner. I also have the bottom part of the change of ownership form that says I am the new owner.

NO Sol, just bring the whole V5 with you - they'll take it off you and you'll get a nice new irish document in the post.

Cool.

I will do that so.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Sol_MB, you'll probably need a weight docket for your van as well before the DOE. I got mine from closest Roadstone site at cost of approx €25.

So the order of things to do to get it registered:

1. Insure with UK reg.
    2. Go to VRO, give them your V5, pay the fee (less than €100). Slap on your new Irish plates.
    3. Get the van weighted and get a weight docket from Roadstone etc.
    4. Pass the DOE, you need to show DOE people your temp Irish registration docs and the weight docket (needed for brake efficiency test).
    5. Go to the motor tax office with DOE cert, they exchange this with a CRW cert and allow you to tax the van (around €300 for a year) and they will then post you the VLC form.
    6. Convert the van, show it to the tax office who inspect it and if it passes they'll take your good vehicle VLC and will post you the camper VLC.
    7. Get your van tested by any suitable garage for road worthiness.
    8. Tell your insurance company your van has transformed into a camper.

Good luck with your conversion! Make sure you're not building too much of a load space as there are limitations. I think even something with a space under the bed for motorbikes etc. is not permitted.

Edit: typo

Thanks, Very helpfull.

Hi.

Thought it might be time for and update.

I have finished the first stage of panelling the roof, still got a lot more work to do on it though.

My mechanic friend came around today, He replaced the front brakes and had a good look around the engine.

So we found the oil leek, Hopefully it is coming from the crank shaft, bit of a job to fix, have to replace the timing belt (I wanted this done anyway). If it is not this there is a small chance there is a leak in the front of the head gasket, which would be a bigger job to fix, but he said he was up for doing it.

Apart from that the one of the injectors needs fixing, again not an expensive job, in terms of parts.
    So defiantly more work than I was expecting but he seems to think it's worth it and that he wouldn't charge me too much. This is handy because these are time consuming jobs.

Unfortunately I seem to have contracted the Swine Flu so I don't think I will be getting much done over the next few days.

Not Much to tell at the moment, Trying to find a Eninge Manaul.

Does any one know if this enigne is a Turbo Diesel?

• Advertisement

Hi Sol,
    When getting the Tb done, change the waterpump - standard practise and small money to do.

Advertisement