Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to draw the line...?

Options
  • 21-05-2009 7:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Drinking alone...
    When and how much is too much....?
    Does age come into it? as in- if a 70 year old guy sits at a bar for a night not sayin a word compared to a 20 year old? :confused:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i drink alone every now and then but i would draw a line at talking to myself

• Registered Users Posts: 81,995 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

A drink in the evening is fine. But then it turns into a session. Then no. If you cant stop yourself after you make your first drink tbh I dont think you should make a first at all.

For me yesterday I had a double JD and coke and just went back to water after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Funkyspunkball

i drink alone every now and then but i would draw a line at talking to myself
    Depends how good of company you make i suppose :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

YOu dont know me *hic*

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Drinking alone...
    Does age come into it? as in- if a 70 year old guy sits at a bar for a night not sayin a word compared to a 20 year old? :confused:

Are you saying that the 20 year old guy doesn't say anything either?
    Are they both conscious?
    :confused:
    /I'm confuzzled

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Draw the line at recording yourself singing along to YouTube vids

It's a line I know all too well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Overheal wrote: »
    For me yesterday I had a double JD and coke and just went back to water after that.

Thats about as useful as half a ****, tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Nothing wrong at all

Oh the hours I wasted in Limerick Colbert Station waiting for connecting buses. To be fair Bus Eireann were very punctual
    Manys the times I had a drink on my own on my way to/from college in the station bar

No big deal and screw anyone who laughed at me on my own. Not that I noticed anyone....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

There is a saying...

When you take a drink,
    a drink takes a (further) drink and then the drink takes you...

...thats when you know you have a problem!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Usually when I start trying to get off with myself. The people in the pub usually start staring then.

• Advertisement

Are you saying that the 20 year old guy doesn't say anything either?
    Are they both conscious?
    :confused:
    /I'm confuzzled

No I am wondering if the two would be looked at differently by someone else in the bar. From workin in a pub i've seen oul fellas sittin there for hours without sayin a word other than to order their pint. If a young fella done the same would he be looked upon differently?
    I know imo they wouldnt, just wanted to know if it matches up to other peoples. *hic*

• Registered Users Posts: 81,995 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Abigayle wrote: »
    if youre used to metabolizing 15 pints a day, sure. I drink rarely however and I can get a good unwind out of the dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

No I am wondering if the two would be looked at differently by someone else in the bar. From workin in a pub i've seen oul fellas sittin there for hours without sayin a word other than to order their pint. If a young fella done the same would he be looked upon differently?
    I know imo they wouldnt, just wanted to know if it matches up to other peoples. *hic*

No I don't see a difference.
    I'd reckon they just wanted their own company and would think no more about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Why all these threads seeking approval from After Hours posters lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Dudess wrote: »
    You Alt&Indy forumers are just jealous :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

'Cos they're the cool crowd, duh.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Because we are obviously an inspiration to the masses.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭smiley girl

Drinking alone...

I never think anything is wrong with a man drinking alone, 20 or 70, you see if in every pub, but if a woman were to drink alone its an entirely different story.... I'm female and I wouldn't even dream of doing that!

I never think anything is wrong with a man drinking alone, 20 or 70, you see if in every pub, but if a woman were to drink alone its an entirely different story.... I'm female and I wouldn't even dream of doing that!

That's true...its not a common thing, cant say ive seen a woman drinkin alone in a pub before....A few used to come in (to the bar i worked in) and lash the rum out of it...draggin their kids along wit em

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

That's silly and sexist. How come men can do something and then women can't do it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

That's silly and sexist. How come men can do something and then women can't do it?
    I'm guessing she's not the brightest spark!

Sure look at me!!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭rmchmufc

I don't see a problem with a person drinking alone. I have done it myself on a good few occassions when i'm waiting on buses or trains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

I dont see a problem having a drink when on your own. Getting pisshed at home on your own is rarely a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

There is always a list to 'warn you' about the danger signs of drinking.

What are ten warning signs of alcoholism? Here are alcoholism signs that are listed in no special order:

1. Drinking alone
    2. Making excuses, finding excuses to drink
    3. Daily or frequent drinking needed to function
    4. Inability to reduce or stop alcohol intake
    5. Violent episodes associated with drinking
    6. Drinking secretly
    7. Becoming angry when confronted about drinking
    8. Poor eating habits
    9. Failure to care for physical appearance
    10. Trembling in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

User are all banned from PI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I never think anything is wrong with a man drinking alone, 20 or 70, you see if in every pub
    Exactly - once you see it in enough places, it's ok. ;)
    but if a woman were to drink alone its an entirely different story.... I'm female and I wouldn't even dream of doing that!
    LOL - you're funny :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Craigsy

Abigayle wrote: »

which half

• Registered Users Posts: 18,911 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Shannonsider

Perhaps, the reason men drink alone is facilitate entering the 'nothing box'. (I'm no expert but the 'nothing box' is the psychological place where men can go and actually think of nothing- which is very relaxing but women don't have a 'nothing box' - something to do with the wiring of the brain and so probably don't understand the need to just sit there and think of ABSOLUTELY nothing).

As for drinking alone, I'm a 26 yr old male who likes nothing more than 2 or 3 quiet pints and a paper.

• Advertisement

likes nothing more than 2 or 3 quiet pints and a paper.

Kindred spirits :rolleyes:

Advertisement