Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prime Time, Tue 19 May (Immigration)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

sickpuppy wrote: »
    This whole multiculturaism is al oad of bollix if it means a scatter of nigerians taking over Moore street woohoo what a great benefit that is to us all i dont want the next generation of irish people to be a minority in our own country a halt should be put on emmigration right now we cant afford it and we really dont need it so jetison those not needed and keep ireland irish.

While I agree with you about ghettoisation, in regards to the above I have to say what????

I think multiculturalism is of huge benefit to our country. If only on sports, culinary, musical and cultural grounds. Some of the best people I've ever met and some of my best friends are immigrants. My taste in food, music, and a new interest in cricket have all been influenced by being friends with immigrants. I have been to India to visit the family of a friend, I'd never have thought of going there otherwise. All this has in turn enriched my life, my family's life and my Irish friends' lives.

And I agree with putting a stop to emigration. That way Irish emigrants won't be a problem for other countries by moving there and taking their jobs!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Irish people did emmigrate in massive numbers paddy didnt get the dole in America or Australia either we helped build these places and in general we as a nation are well liked.

Not in many Eastern European/Asian countries after the treatment meted out to some guys/girls from these areas on building sites, factory floors, in the hospitality industry etc. etc. The lack of respect and common decency that some employers showed to their workers in the last 8-10 years was nothing short of disgraceful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭markopantelic

I lived in Holland for three years in late 90s and much of it is ghettoised.
    Large tracts of cities and big towns are made up of large Turkish or moroccan enclaves.
    These really are a no go area for whitey me and you or any Dutch people that dont speak turkish or bloody arabic.

Personally id hate ireland to become like this we are to small a nation to be taking in large numbers of immigrants from far flung corners or the world.

Irish people did emmigrate in massive numbers paddy didnt get the dole in America or Australia either we helped build these places and in general we as a nation are well liked.

This whole multiculturaism is al oad of bollix if it means a scatter of nigerians taking over Moore street woohoo what a great benefit that is to us all
    i dont want the next generation of irish people to be a minority in our own country a halt should be put on emmigration right now we cant afford it
    and we really dont need it so jetison those not needed and keep ireland irish.

WTF are you talking about? Have you ever heard of what happened when the Irish first went to the USA? They undercut the black people who were working in New York and then established unions and didn't allow black people in. Thats how they came to partially help build these countries and Irish abused the welfare in the UK throughout the 80's.

And the last thing:rolleyes:

Not in many Eastern European/Asian countries after the treatment meted out to some guys/girls from these areas on building sites, factory floors, in the hospitality industry etc. etc. The lack of respect and common decency that some employers showed to their workers in the last 8-10 years was nothing short of disgraceful.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Immigants! I knew it was them! Even when it was the bears, I knew it was them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭sickpuppy

The irish undercut black people in new york when we first went there?
    irish were in America before the vast majority of black people.

The no dogs no irish signs were horrible things all right but thankfully that is in the past.

I never saw a building site here no Polish?

I agree that many workers were taken advantage of by unscrubulous bosses its a fact of life and its going to be much more prevelent now

We have no history with Nigeria besides prob sending out some missionarys so that bs excuse irish people emmigrated etc does not wash did we claim asylum in Lagos or some other corrupt kip

Personally i have worked with many mostly eastern europeans and most are good people hard working etc but it does not mean i would like my country overran by them.
    The wholesale complaints about the weather irish women etc grow tiresome so i have on occaission asked if it so bad fcuk off back home easy solution to a problem.
    Europe whould really end at the gates of Vienna.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

irish were in America before the vast majority of black people.
    You sure about that?

The first record of African slavery in Colonial America occurred in 1619. Whereas, the Irish Famine was between 1845 and 1852.

Now do I have to do the maths for you?

The no dogs no irish signs were horrible things all right but thankfully that is in the past.

I never saw a building site here no Polish?
    You're missing the point of my post about those signs. It was in response to the assertion that the Irish were well liked wherever the emigrated to.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Nelson Muntz

Aussies, Kiwis, Saffers & Americans seem to be very welcome in Ireland.

Africans, Asians & people from the middle east seem to be not so welcome.

Is it because the first lot are from places that the Irish would want to emmigrate to and the second lot is not?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Is it because the first lot are from places that the Irish would want to emmigrate to and the second lot is not?

No, the common denominator there is skin colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

To me it's not even a case of race. Scumbag / ignorant irish people are in no way tolerant to any sort of change. This applies to race issues/ gay/ bi sexual/ goth/ punk/ emo, whatever type of class you want to segregate people into. Sadly it is something that just happens but its all too easy to pull the racist card because it generally garners more public sympathy, media coverage etc.
    In regrds to the Indian friend and the government stalling and losing his paperwork etc. They display that kind of bumbling ineptitude with everyone in the country regardless of colour/creed etc

Asmodean wrote: »
    To me it's not even a case of race. Scumbag / ignorant irish people are in no way tolerant to any sort of change. This applies to race issues/ gay/ bi sexual/ goth/ punk/ emo, whatever type of class you want to segregate people into. Sadly it is something that just happens but its all too easy to pull the racist card because it generally garners more public sympathy, media coverage etc.

Agreed, but it's not just "pulling the race card". If X has an issue with an immigrant (because, I dunno, they didn't pay for a Luas ticket or the alcohol they took from Centra) to immediately resort to screaming something like "go back to your country" is racist. And ignorant, and a bunch of other things, but mostly it's racist and deserves public sympathy.

As for gay/bi... current research indicates that gay people are born gay, just as Nigerians are born black. Ergo, there is no difference between homophobia and racism. (tell this to the pope)

PS- as for punks; old punks need to realise it's not 1975 any more, and young punks need to listen to more stuff from 1975.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Where's sickpuppy's post gone? I was just about to reply to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,833 ✭✭✭✭Basq

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Where's sickpuppy's post gone? I was just about to reply to it.
    It was deleted for a good reason!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Mena wrote: »
    No, the common denominator there is skin colour.

Unfortunately that's what it comes down to. My cousin was born to a Zambian father and lived over there til the age of 13 (17 years ago) and moved here. She was half cast and more on the whiter side of the line. She did encounter racism down through the years though she was as odd as it sounds a novelty because of her skin colour.

Her father who is very dark was abused a number of times.

Having worked in Ireland with people from Africa, India, Middle East and Far East, Oz, USA/Canda, South America there is a subtle hostility in most Irish people of different skin colour. An example.. My gfs friends sister is going out with a guy of Indian descent, his parents are Indian (both doctors) moved here 25 odd years ago, he was born here has an Irish accent but is obviously Indian, he has been abused several times.

The same with a greek friend of mine, he just looks like he enjoys the sunbeds too much but has been on the end of racist abuse.

However friends from Oz, NZ, USA and even the auld enemy are all fine.. aslong as there white.

A sad state of affairs.

i was told to 'go back to my 'own country' when i was working in spar, by two bumbling ****ing knackers wearing celtic jerseys. the indian chap i was working with looked on in amazement. i'm white and born in ireland.

bumbling ****ing knackers wearing celtic jerseys

Surely you were mistaken;)

i was told to 'go back to my 'own country' when i was working in spar, by two bumbling ****ing knackers wearing celtic jerseys. the indian chap i was working with looked on in amazement.

Was is this guy?

No+to+Foreign+Games+RSF+style.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 43,833 ✭✭✭✭Basq

eightyfish wrote: »
    No+to+Foreign+Games+RSF+style.jpg
    I think we all need to start heeding the advice of someone with a sign-post for a head! :pac:

I'll bet the only intelligent thing that he has ever done is cover his mug with that sign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭esharknz

I'm a kiwi (4 of 8 great grandparents were Irish), but I also have darker skin as my grandfather was rather dark. I've been subjected to this "go home" rubbish too. Ah well. I wonder when people will get over seeing a skin colour or race before they see the person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭paddyboy23

veronica wrote: »
    because of our welfare state which is more generous then any other in Europe non-nationals for the want of a better word are staying here having children and say 20 years or so the will be the majority and us the minority!
    fair play to u your talking sence

• Advertisement

whose 'we'?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

In fairness the trouble started with Mary Robinson inviting Africans to come and live in Ireland and that stupid law whereby you could get Irish citizenship by having a baby here; we're far too soft and lax in this country.. it's been going on for years here that non-EU people have been claiming asylum here when they are supposed to claim asylum in the first EU country they land in.
    How many EU countries must you pass to get from Nigeria or Zimbabwe to Ireland? This matter should have been sorted but the powers that be gave they old 'a sure it'll do' attitude we're so famed for.
    We have every right to be pissed off at the way things are going seeing as less than 10 years ago there were only a couple of hundred foreigners here.
    Immigration is hard enough on the host country spread over decades, let alone 7 years- and that's including liberal countries such as Sweden, Denmark and Holland.
    Whoever's working here, grand, but too much is being spent towards social welfare; more than on health and education in fact, so it's time to make some tough decisions. It's also time to give priority to Irish people for FAS courses- at the very least it's time to look after our own on that front.

In fairness the trouble started with Mary Robinson inviting Africans to come and live in Ireland and that stupid law whereby you could get Irish citizenship by having a baby here; we're far too soft and lax in this country.. it's been going on for years here that non-EU people have been claiming asylum here when they are supposed to claim asylum in the first EU country they land in.
    How many EU countries must you pass to get from Nigeria or Zimbabwe to Ireland? This matter should have been sorted but the powers that be gave they old 'a sure it'll do' attitude we're so famed for.
    We have every right to be pissed off at the way things are going seeing as less than 10 years ago there were only a couple of hundred foreigners here.
    Immigration is hard enough on the host country spread over decades, let alone 7 years- and that's including liberal countries such as Sweden, Denmark and Holland.
    Whoever's working here, grand, but too much is being spent towards social welfare; more than on health and education in fact, so it's time to make some tough decisions. It's also time to give priority to Irish people for FAS courses- at the very least it's time to look after our own on that front.

WRONG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Ok, according to the Dublin Regulation the first EU member state that a migrant enters should be the one to examine his or her asylum application.
    Is that different to what I originally said? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭paddyboy23

WRONG
    i think u mite b rite dear friend

Advertisement