Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[BPB] Boards.ie Photography Yearbook 2009 - Planning stage - [!! POLL ADDED !!]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

I may be submitting an image.
    Is it time to start thinking about this again.......?
    ie. whats the current state of play ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Was thinking about this the other day - how are people coming on with image selection. Ok, it's a little early yet but has anyone their choice done pending something better happening before the cut off date? Or is it just to early?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭rameire

Is it too late to put an image in for this book? Took some better ones this summer...

And is there a theme or it is just ones that we like?

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I got more involved in the forum this year having bought the yearbook last year. It was a little photography goal of mine to make it into the yearbook at some point.

I have a few good shots from a safari trip this summer. It'll be my first time to send one in for consideration.

Could someone remind me as to how to submit a photo? I look forward to buying this years one. I loved last years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 t00116131

just wondering when is the closing date for submission of photographs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

rameire wrote: »
    Is it too late to put an image in for this book? Took some better ones this summer...

And is there a theme or it is just ones that we like?
    t00116131 wrote: »
    just wondering when is the closing date for submission of photographs?
    Trotter wrote: »
    ...Could someone remind me as to how to submit a photo?...

No closing date yet, so not too late. Add your name to the 'definite' list I guess. Details still all have to be worked out (cmon ThOnda!!!):pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

We are into August now, we need to get things moving or it will be late for the Xmas rush.

Has anyone's inquiries come up with a better option than doing a Blurb Book again?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

CabanSail wrote: »
    We are into August now, we need to get things moving or it will be late for the Xmas rush.

Has anyone's inquiries come up with a better option than doing a Blurb Book again?

While Blurb is a pain as the costs are high unfortunately anything else will require a large enough outlay to get production started....this isn't ideal as the time we're in people are unlikely to take the risk :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

There won't be any submissions until we sort the printing.
    If you want to have picture in the book, do something for it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭dakar

I reckon print on demand is the way to go, as the logistics of organising collection of money for a print run are realistically unworkable. Even if we wanted to, we'd probably be tight for time now anyway.

I was happy with the blurb product last year although a proofing copy is a good idea. Also a test print using blurb's profile is advisable for everyone, particularly those with darker images. We could sticky a post if we hijack the Expeditions forum again with instructions as to how to go about this, along with advice on print resolution required, image resizing etc.

Design wise, again, I think the blurb layouts offer a good choice of options for us to decide on (yay poll time \o/). I personally would love a white background this year.

It would be great if we could increase sales five fold over last year and generate huge profits for our chosen charity (it'd be hard to look past SSF again) but this may not be the year to think on that scale. I think last year surpassed everyone's expectations and gives us a great target to aim for this year.

My (extended) 2c. What do ye all think? Can we get cracking on this baby?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

I'd agree with Dakar that we shouldn't over-extend ourselves this year. Last year got us what, about 200 books last year? Maybe with some more recognition and marketing we could go 300 or so, but we'd be hard-pressed to sell 1000 or whatever would be the minimum private print run.

I think the first thing to do is set a series of deadlines we should meet to get this going. How about:

August 30th - Complete gathering of print options.

Sept 14th - Complete analysis and make decision on print options

Oct 7th - Complete design competition Submissions for book layout

Oct 21st - Decide on winning book layout.

Nov 7th - Complete ordering group decisions (last year there were various groups around the country who ordered together to reduce costs) and place orders for books.

Nov 7th - Publicity launch for book

Nov 21st - Big book launch!

These dates are obviously very rough guesses. What think ye good ladies and gents?

I think mrmac was doing a serious bit of pricing at one stage so he may have options.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

An idea I had (though the thread isn't finished yet) is that we clean up the 100 tips thread and print that somewhere in the book if there's space? Maybe it's a lousy idea, but I really fancy having the tips all together on my bookshelves - if no-one else likes it I'll probably print them out and stick them in the back of my own copy at any rate :)

Thoie wrote: »
    An idea I had (though the thread isn't finished yet) is that we clean up the 100 tips thread and print that somewhere in the book if there's space? Maybe it's a lousy idea, but I really fancy having the tips all together on my bookshelves - if no-one else likes it I'll probably print them out and stick them in the back of my own copy at any rate :)

I like that idea - I was thinking about something similar for the 100 tips (a downloadable pdf) but in the book sounds good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    I like that idea - I was thinking about something similar for the 100 tips (a downloadable pdf) but in the book sounds good.

I've started tidying them up in Excel. Will put them in Word when they're ready for submission to the book, but we can PDF the Word doc as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭rameire

Thoie wrote: »
    An idea I had (though the thread isn't finished yet) is that we clean up the 100 tips thread and print that somewhere in the book

Love this idea!

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

^^ Good idea, but.......would 100 be too much, ie. cover too many pages, adding to cost ?! How about other info: like info about the Photography forum, (if its easily accesible) eg. > how many Random threads we have, how many photos have been uploaded to it, how many people have posted ! etc !!!!!

Just so people know I got an email from Blurb last week,it turns out they're raising all their prices so just to let people know the book will be a little bit more expensive than last year.New price list here:
    http://www.blurb.com/downloads/PriceSheet_Normal_0812_Pounds&Euros_A4.pdf?utm_source=Emailoffer&utm_medium=email&utm_content=081309_PricingChangeOptOut&utm_campaign=081309_PricingChangeOptOut

Looking at it though it'll probably still be cheaper than doing a print run

• Registered Users Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Hi folks, not been around for the last few months...and dont think i can handle trawling through the thread for info.

Can anyone give me a rundown of whats happening etc?

Just at the point where it all should begin happening shortly I guess. All you need to is answer on the poll "yes - definately" to be involved.

Give it til the end of the week and we'll look for status updates from people on printing etc...

Time is beginning to move on though and we'll need roles to be taken on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Just at the point where it all should begin happening shortly I guess. All you need to is answer on the poll "yes - definately" to be involved.

Give it til the end of the week and we'll look for status updates from people on printing etc...

Time is beginning to move on though and we'll need roles to be taken on.

Cool i clicked yes a while back so i guess im involved! :D

What roles do you need taken on? If i can help from outside Ireland then ill be glad to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

was just about to ask what's happening with this...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Don't ask me. It looks that my involvement this year will consist of submitting a picture. I am very sorry for that. There are different priorities now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Does anyone know of or have experience of an on-line money collection service where people could pay as they would with blurb to a central "Boards Book Santa Strike Force" account in which to gather the orders?

The "chip-in" solution I mentioned last year may still be an option.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I've added name too. I'd like to put in 2 images as it'd work smarter if your work was on the left and right page therefore looking a more complete representation.
    With that said although I've read (most of) the thread I'm a little fuzzy as to what format I've to deliver the image with and to who. If anyone could give me a bit of guidance on this it'd be greatly appreciated.

Just on adding the 100 rules; while I thought it was a good idea at the beginning I hadn't really thought about it much beyond the realms of Boards.ie. Within the realm of Boards.ie it works as we know the context from where it came. It was light, helpful and a funny long(ish) running thread. However to a broader audience it could be picked up wrong; as in "Rules" and a collective of people submitting works that have adhered to the stricture of said rules.
    It was a lighthearted run through of ideas and thoughts that viewed by people not in on the workings of Boards might not get and it could define the the overall product for some readers.
    So while I'm not against the idea I think it should be seriously thought about before adding it in, more seriously thought about than some of the rules implied.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

We really need someone to raise their hand and voluteer to co-ordinate the book very soon or else we may as well give it a miss.

Yes .... You at the back of the room ..... is that a hand I see raised?

CabanSail wrote: »
    We really need someone to raise their hand and voluteer to co-ordinate the book very soon or else we may as well give it a miss.

Yes .... You at the back of the room ..... is that a hand I see raised?

If addition to the co-ordinator we need the work horse also (designer/layout person) - I think the individuals from last year who did both of these roles are saints so this could be your way into heaven. Both also aren't in a position to do it this year (which I don't think is anything to do with the effect of the book on their sanity ;)) so we need;
    • a co-ordinator as Cabansail says to crack the whip at us all
    • a designer / layout / feed the software person to process the images when they land into book form

I'm also thinking at this point without any further info forward on publishing at a lower cost that we are in for a blurb / lulu / similar option.

Don't be shy - if you don't take one step back you could land the job before you know it :pac:

I hope people realise that with these positions comes;

- A Fully Furnished Luxury Villa in Spain. **
    - A Classic Italian Sports Car. **
    - Access to the Boards.ie BizJet **

**Some of these items may be substitued for images & descriptions instead of the actual article.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I'm more than willing to give some time and effort to any part of the process, however as my printing and display knowledge extends as far as popping in to local Spar with a memory stick, running up a few postcards and hanging them on string with clothes pegs and hairclips I'm not sure of how useful I could be in a bigger more professional set up.
    But I do have time and can make tea and I can roll fags with one hand.

As it's a long thread and people may have missed something along the way would it be possible to have a run down on what's required and what skill sets would be helpful?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Can someone explain to me what exactly is needed in terms of a a co-ordinator ?

ThOnda and others did a great job last year and I thought defined the process as to how to produce a great photobook.
    Once we have someone who can figure out the final layout what's stopping us from uploading pics to a flicker site and confirming names like we did last year?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement