Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[BPB] Boards.ie Photography Yearbook 2009 - Planning stage - [!! POLL ADDED !!]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I may be submitting an image.
    Having just been through the process of selecting images for the DCC Annual Exhibition, it is a really hard thing to do. It was necessary there as we only have room to hang about 250(ish) photos & there were almost 700 submitted. Sure there were a few images that had glaring technical errors that went early, but after that it was hard. I was only assisting & so did not have to make the call. There was a similar process taken to select the Boards Exhibition, on a smaller scale.

My feeling is that this book should reflect the photography of the regular contributors to this forum. It should be up to those people what they want to put forward to fill their page. Last year the idea started as being a group of us put together a book so we can see one of our images in print & have copies of others work as well. The only restriction was that if you put in a photo then you committed to buying a book. It then went on to adding a small donation to a charity & SSF was picked. That donation moved the project out for general sales more & it became a bigger project than it was originally. This follow up book will be bigger again, but I would like it to retain as much of the ideals from the first book as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

I think we had this same debate last year! I can't remember exactly, but I think the consensus was that the final contributors would be kind of self-selecting given the investment they would end up making in the book. (correct me if that's just my bad memory!)

With the success of the book last year, I hope there would be more interest in entries this year. This might mean more entries, but I would still think there would be a natural cap on numbers, since the cost rises with the number of images.

I pretty much agree with Th0nda that for me anyway, the purpose was as much to put a picture in a book and be able to say "Look what I made!", I think that was the same for a lot of people.

But maybe a compromise would be to guage the level of interest by looking for numbers, then make the decision. If 300 people put their names forward, there would have to be some whittling. But if the numbers are similar to last year, maybe there would be no need to.

Just a thought (though maybe that's just deferring the problem!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

I totally let this slide by me last year, but would certainly like to be involved this year...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

One of the genuine beauties of this forum is that it is welcoming of photographers of any ability from one post wonders to people who take up residency and squatters rights on this piece of virtual real estate. Our most successful and longest active thread, the Random photo thread, is the most excellent example of the welcoming nature of the forum.

Thinking about the book - I would really dislike an idea which would see the forum's welcoming ethos diluted. The qualification criteria of "You must buy a book" thereby effecting a charitable donation in my opinion is strong enough rationale.

I have read the opinion of those who have indicated their dissatisfaction with the quality of last years efforts. I wholeheartedly disagree given its purpose and remit. It was a self publishing initiative. It was random. There was a multitude of brands and models of cameras used. There was a multitude of people of varying photographic abilities. There was little consistent about it. It was in my opinion truly great.

Most of us who partake in the forum, regular or occasional, will rarely if ever be in a position to be published so if this gives such an opportunity to a fellow photographer and friend of the forum then I would be of the opinion that we should be facilitating and welcoming. In the run up to last years publication there was a significant number of people who came back to the forum for advice selection. This seemed to be a way familiar to the forum users in terms of assisted selection and I think worked reasonably well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

I'll help if I can.
    Was very impressed with it last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Wasnt involved in the process last year so have no idea HOW it all actaully works :o Nonetheless, I'd be happy to help out with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

Solyad wrote: »
    Count me in...

Main problem last year was the book was not a "quality product".

I mean speaking objectively, if I bought that book without being involved id be disappointed the quite a few of the photos came out poorly.

Agreed with an earlier posted blurb may not be the way to go again

This annoys me!
    The whole forum is about encouraging people to experess themselves through photography and to enjoy it. The book wasn't produced for profit and the varying quality reflected the amateur status of the majority. This is what made it more personal and more meaningful.

If we're out to reject people because you don't think they don't contribute to a "quality product", then we have lost the spirit of the project.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I've sent off a e-mail to the owner of the boardsyearbook.com domain see if I can get the ball rolling regarding getting it up and running.

On the subject of "quality product", I'd have to fully agree with City-Exile, the book is about community and a showcase of the communitys work.

Sure everyone should work towards showing their very best work but its not some professional photographers book we're making here, its a showcase.

We start taking people out of the book and its no longer about the community which I'd hate to see happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Hearvee

City-Exile wrote: »
    If we're out to reject people because you don't think they don't contribute to a "quality product", then we have lost the spirit of the project.

I took the original quote about "quality product" as referring to the printing
    of the photos in the book, not the photos themselves!
    A few of the photos in last years book were printed a lot darker than the
    owners themselves expected, thus hiding the details in them.

Once we're all aware of that issue, I thought the Blurb book last year was
    excellent quality.

There was a suggestion earlier that at least one proof copy has to be printed
    so that this can spotted earlier, and corrections made before the final
    version. There wasn't time to do this last year, but it would've improved an
    already great book by a notch or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I think the way we did it last year worked well, ie if you want a photo in the book, just buy one and you can have one.

I agree with the previous posts about the community of boards and letting members of the forum have a photo. Even if they are just lurkers, this might encourage people to become more involved within the forum itself.

I don't think it would really be a true reflection of the forum if only photos above a certain standard were allowed in, because after the great thing about boards is it's diversity, there's people of different ages, different skill levels, from different locations and if we are to call it a boards yearbook then I think all this should be shown in the book, not just images from one section of the forum.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

You got to wounder is the book better off having work from people that are actually active or somewhat active in the forum rather then people just passing through who have perhaps never posted in this forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I think people you'll have alot of people putting there names forward to putting pictures in the book, but when it actually come to submitting the shots the numbers will fall off you just have to look at last years book or the exhibition.

If the time comes and we have shots submitted by 'lurkers' hopefully they will have become more involved in the forum by then.

As I was just reminded at lunch time Christmas Day is only 7 months away.

trishw78 wrote: »
    I think people you'll have alot of people putting there names forward to putting pictures in the book, but when it actually come to submitting the shots the numbers will fall off you just have to look at last years book or the exhibition.

If the time comes and we have shots submitted by 'lurkers' hopefully they will have become more involved in the forum by then.

As I was just reminded at lunch time Christmas Day is only 7 months away.

I'd have to agree with this, we'd want to get started, perhaps start setting rough dates for one the first round of photos should be submitted

This will give us plenty of time to do proofs and ensure quality control is better then last year (though I thought last year was fine :) )

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I thought last year the pictures were breathtaking, however the print quality was darker then expected as pointed out above. This can be remedied by a quality check in advance.

I agree that we should allow all-comers, we can put an upper limit on that though if we want to control it, on a first-come-first-in basis. This neatly encourages people to get off their asses and submit in time too :):p
    (yes, I'm talking about me specifically... I think I probably had the last photo in, last year!)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

An upper limit might *have* to be imposed, purely because people not involved in the book directly are not going to pay a crap load of money for a huge book based on a charitable donation of a fiver. I think we can cross that bridge when we come to it though? We had a first come first served policy last year...

And my mention of quality was directed at Blurb! Not photos. I'd HATE to see a selection process - the democracy of last year's project was it's main asset I thought. I thought some of the photos were printed a bit on the dark side too, and the quality of the cover was a bit low (I got the matt black one, and within two seconds of opening it it was stained with fingerprints). I'm looking at mine here, and the pages have a guillotined look? I suggest looking at alternatives and if we can't find anything better then yep - Blurb again :) It *was* very handy having them in a virtual shop like that. I'd have absolutely no objection with going with them again if its found there's no better option.

My other half is a writer, and has self published books on proper (small scale) print runs in France. I'll ask him to just have a poke about and see what run/money we could get. No harm finding out...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

The limit is the number of pages & the price per book with Blurb

The page numbers go up in groups of 40. Each jump costs from €2 to €5 per book extra (mainly €4 jumps) The Maximum number of pages is 440

Pages Softcover Hardcover Hardcover - Image wrap
    161-200 €22,95 €33,95 €36,95
    201-240 €27,95 €37,95 €41,95

401-440 €48,95 €52,95 €56,95

Remember we have to add the SSF donation plus postage.

If we could find a printer that would handle a small run then it would be worth looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

I'd like to be involved in this somehow. Even if it's just submitting a photo. Misse dout on last eyars and am raging!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

I would love to get involved again this year. If there are more people involved all the better surely the more people commited to buy a book the lower the cost of printing.
    I totally disagree with the idea of setting a limit on the amount of pages and selecting images to be incorporated in the book. This I feel would damage the forum. It is after all a site for novice and professional alike to meet and learn.

What better way to encourage a novice by letting them showcase there works.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

Can I suggest that the first two things we can do are:

1. Begin to gather a list of people who wish to submit an image? Me First! Me First!

2. Gather options for publishing the book. Sineadw is finding out about doing a small private print run, Cabansail has posted the cost of using Blurb again.

I'd suggest as part of the publishing options that we get opinions on past experiences for publishing, eg:

a) Blurb
    Price: X for 40, Y for 80, Z for 120.
    Type: Online Self-publisher
    Opinions: Some prints a bit dark.

b) Lulu
    Price: ???
    Type: Online Self-publisher
    Opinions: ???

c) Paddy's Printing Ltd
    Price: ??? per 100 units for 80 pages....?
    Type: Small Private Printer
    Opinions: Good quality, distribution issues

... or some such?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

The way we did it last year for numbers was polls... lots and lots of polls, I suppose for the first general number we could set up a poll and then decide where to go from there. If a mod or the OP can add a poll to the thread for people who are intereseted?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i dont think a vetting process would undermine this forum. It will be voted for by members, so surely thats fair? The book standard will increase, quality over quantity usually is good, I never considered the book a free for all like the random photo thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

1. Begin to gather a list of people who wish to submit an image
    Good idea, lets sticky a poll to get definites, ie. if you wish to submit a photo you must buy the book. The poll could end at the end of August (that should be enough time to catch everybody). If there is a huge response, then maybe 2 books could be done, where entries are done alphabetically ! (....maybe a white book and a black book, or a portrait book & a landscape book) !!

i dont think a vetting process would undermine this forum. It will be voted for by members, so surely thats fair? The book standard will increase, quality over quantity usually is good, I never considered the book a free for all like the random photo thread?

The problem with this is you tend to get niche voting, same people voting for the same people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭cooligPhoto

I'm back !!!

Don't get much time to visit this forum nowadays (photography taking over my life).

I got a mail from Cabaal while I was in Portugal last week, hopefully the weather will follow me. I have the boardsyearbook.com registered and will be happy to either point it to a hosted site somewhere or even transfer ownership.

I have a habit of buying domain names (I have an account so it only takes a few seconds) to make life easier so just bought it on a whim last year. I've no intention of holding onto it - if somebody else wants to take over it and build a website, I'd be only too happy to pass it on to them.

Hopefully I'll find time to get back to being more active here soon.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Cabaal wrote: »
    The problem with this is you tend to get niche voting, same people voting for the same people

ayee I guess thats a good point :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

You can count me in for this, last year was a great success. It'll get me out shooting some new stuff too!

I will add a Poll to this thread.

There will be two options.

1 - I will DEFINITELY be submitting an image.

2- I am saying I am submitting an image (but will drop out at the last minute)

Seriously it will be a Definite list & a maybe list. Please only place your name on the definite list if you are 100% sure you will contribute an image to the book & purchase at least one copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

I've been reading this thread with great interest. I'll definitely submit an image and will definitely buy the book (wish i'd been around her this time last year) but the question is, will it be good enough to be considered. Surely there will be a process to weed out the weaker contributions i.e. maybe the likes of mine, who are noobs?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

No Longshanks that's the whole point :) There's no 'entry level' :D

• Advertisement

You put in the image that you like the best. There will be plenty of time to post your photo & get C&C to refine it. The idea of the book is a showcase of this forum from all levels.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement