Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Merged) RC Child Abuse Issues/Comments

Options
  • 20-05-2009 6:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭

Just listening to Drivetime's report on the systematic child abuse by Catholic clergy.

It seems to me that the church that protected serial rapists and murderers (there are graveyards of children in those 'reformatories') for decades could not possibly believe the words of Jesus.

If anyone really believed them, they would immediately say: "Quick, let us sell everything we have and put every resource at our command into healing the harm done to helpless children."

The Catholic Church has done the opposite. It has threatened and bullied anyone who tried to make it face its responsibilities, and it has slithered out of paying for its employees' rapes, beatings and torture.

Discuss.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

I am deeply offended by anyone stupid enough to think that protecting serial rapists and murderers is something that an atheist would do because he doesnt believe in Jesus. You, sir, are a moron.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,134 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Im not sure business laws apply. Hence clergy arent employees are they.

edit: and that ^ just because someones an Atheist does not make them immoral. We've been doing this dance for decades if not centuries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I am deeply offended by anyone stupid enough to think that protecting serial rapists and murderers is something that an atheist would do because he doesnt believe in Jesus. You, sir, are a moron.

You, sir, have misunderstood what I said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Ho ho! Try to rile up the Catholics in the Christianity forum and end up upsetting the atheists. Classic!

luckat wrote: »
    You, sir, have misunderstood what I said.
    im not sure he has.

• Advertisement

Indeed he has.

Of course I'm not saying "to be an atheist is to be a child abuser".

I'm saying that if Catholic clergy believed the reported words of the person they have pledged to follow, they would immediately pull out all the stops to heal what has been done by their church.

Since they don't do that, obviously they don't believe a word of what Jesus said.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

Yes, I too am sickened at what I heard.

The correct charge to level at the perpetrators is that they are hypocrites.. that they stand up and say sex is bad, homesexual sex is worse, taking advantage of a minor is worse, and yet they have colluded to do all three simultaneausly. And the bishops etc don't seem to care, and have covered it up as best they can.

It is sickening, completely sickening. I have detested the hyprocrisy of the Catholic Church for a long time, the scale of it just makes it worse. I can hardly stand the sight of your man Benedict.. .and I, as a cynic, don't accept that knowledge of these horrible events didn't go a long way up the ladder.

It's the hypocrisy that really kills me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Since they don't do that, obviously they don't believe a word of what Jesus said.

Or they are sick twisted freaks.

That's too easy. That suggests that they're 'not like me' and gives them a get-out.

But these are people who taught children that if they 'sinned', they must have 'a sincere desire for repentance' and must make reparation if they were to have God's forgiveness.

Where is that repentance? Where is that reparation?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭homer911

In the interests of not bashing Catholosism(?) I'm quite sure other established churches have had their "fair share" of abuse cases but have been better at covering them up, simply because of their minority status

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

homer911 wrote: »
    In the interests of not bashing Catholosism(?) I'm quite sure other established churches have had their "fair share" of abuse cases but have been better at covering them up, simply because of their minority status

If there has ever been an institution in power that has not abused that power I will eat a live ferret. The abuse has nothing to do with the teachings of the Catholic church as a whole. Revered men were put in positions of power without any supervision. They were never checked up on and did monstrous things.
    The only place blame can be assigned to the church is the cover up of it. That part is still horrendous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭bluecell99

The catholics who did this and their protectors are dirty,filthy ,stinking scum.

Their supporters are also sick scum and will eventually face justice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

While the subject of child abuse makes everybody understandably angry let's observe the Forum Charter please.

bluecell99 is taking a holiday from this forum.

Yes, I'm sure there was abuse in Protestant institutions. But saying "yes, but" isn't adequate to the revelations today. It is so sickening.

And it is not in the past until reparation is made.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Indeed he has.

Of course I'm not saying "to be an atheist is to be a child abuser".

I'm saying that if Catholic clergy believed the reported words of the person they have pledged to follow, they would immediately pull out all the stops to heal what has been done by their church.

But plenty of people dont believe the word of Jesus: Jews, Buddhists, Hindus, Muslims etc. But you didn't title this thread: "Is the Irish Catholic Church Jewish?" or "is the Irish Catholic Church Buddhist?" Or even "Is the Irish Catholic Church Christian?". Your titled implies that its an atheistic view of Jesus that leads people to rape, murder, bullying and the protection of those that do, and its that view which is moronic.

I agree thats its hypocritical and wrong for the Catholic Church to protect those of its members who abused their power, which i believe is your point, but your thread title is awful.

bluecell99 wrote: »
    The catholics who did this and their protectors are dirty,filthy ,stinking scum.

Their supporters are also sick scum and will eventually face justice.
    Im sure you dont mean catholic followers but rather those in the church that facilitated them/covered it up? I dont see anyone else supporting their actions.
    But plenty of people dont believe the word of Jesus: Jews, Buddhists, Hindus, Muslims etc. But you didn't title this thread: "Is the Irish Catholic Church Jewish?" or "is the Irish Catholic Church Buddhist?" Or even "Is the Irish Catholic Church Christian?". Your titled implies that its an atheistic view of Jesus that leads people to rape, murder, bullying and the protection of those that do, and its that view which is moronic.
    Though he misconstrued that, the OP has gone on to explain the titling was unintentional as it stands. cut him a break already.

I agree thats its hypocritical and wrong for the Catholic Church to protect those of its members who abused their power, which i believe is your point, but your thread title is awful.

Sorry about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

I was very unfortunate to listen to a victim of these atrousities on RTE 6 O'Clock news (Christine Buckley) and it sent shivers down my spine.It was so unbelievable as I listened to the horrific and horrendous actions that took place (and most probably taking place till today in our society today,albeit in a more organised fashion).

As a Christain ( and proud to be one),I was mortified by some of the allegations that were made against these Catholic institutions.Initially I thought the allegations were exaggerations and I would beg for the forgiveness of the victims as no one can properly comprehend the effects these actions must have had on their lives and I think it is about time the Catholic church takes ownership and responsiblity for these despicable crimes,it is very apparent that even the leadership of the church was somewhat culpable as they could have investigated this allegations and should have the taken neccesary actions at the time rather than let it degenerate into the present messy situation.

One poster mentioned he hoped that this report would eventually lead to Godless Ireland..I completely disagree.Despite all these we cannot make blanket judgements and imply that the country as a whole has not benefitted from Christainity,a lot of homeless,poor,and vulnerable people who have been aided by the church in their hour of need would certainly disagree.

Yes some elements in the Catholic church have been disgraceful and utterly unbecoming in their behaviour but they should not used as a yardstick for judging the entire church...that would simply be very myopic.One of the fundamental tenet of the Christain religion is that everyone has a free will and as such cannot and should not be coerced to believe in God ( unlike a lot of other religions).Out of every 12 ,there is a Judas and it is absolutely impossible to police every person to examine if they are adhering to the rules and regulations of the Church.

In recent times,I have come to the conclusion that peodophilism has been very prevailent and endemic in Europe (although we dont like to hear or acknowledge that fact) and it has eaten very deep to the fabric of the society.I had a discussion with a friend of mine who was researching on this topic and he told me that it is common practise in some places in Ireland ( although it is never talked about or mentioned for fear of stigmatisation).

The honest truth is that if we could pursue with the same vigour in which the Catholic Institutions were scrutinized ( and I totally agree it was neccessary) and try to investigate everyone who has been abused physically ,emotionally and sexually by family members,the results would be shocking!!! and probably a lot more .

Christine Buckely made an interesting statement today when she said the girls in her school were been offered to outsiders for sexual purposes, so essentially I would not be surprised that a lot of the people that carried out some of this violations were people on the outside and that would explain why this was covered up for so long.

In summary,I think we should look at this as a systematic failure as a country and not just take swipes at Christains...as we have heard of Judges,gardai,teachers,lawyers,doctors,bricklayers,Christains,Atheists etc that have been guilty of the same.It is more of a social problem than a religious one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭waves

KINGVictor wrote: »
    In summary,I think we should look at this as a systematic failure as a country and not just take swipes at Christains...as we have heard of Judges,gardai,teachers,lawyers,doctors,bricklayers,Christains,Atheists etc that have been guilty of the same.It is more of a social problem than a religious one.

Yes, in a society that was influenced by the Church.

I could never understand how parents of children who were abused went to the bishops rather than to the police but that was what they were brought up to believe...

And sure the police and the Govt were in thrall to the church as well and they weren't going to rock the boat.

And maybe there is such a problem with incest and abuse due to the way sex was taught, or not taught, in our schools over the last number of decades.

Remember, there were victims complaining about the abuse - I can't imagine that it was the non Catholics who were holding up reporting it, getting it dealt with and covering it all up.....

The Catholic Church spent 40 years

* moving abusers on, after complaints, to new parishes where they continued to abuse
    * hiding documentation of complaints
    * denying the evidence of people who had been abused
    * refusing to give compensation
    * denying any responsibility

The knowledge and the responsibility goes right up to the Vatican, where papers were found revealing many years of abuse.

Muddying the waters with "oh, but it happens in lots of places" is not good enough. The Catholic Church is responsible for fostering the abuse that was revealed in todays 2,500-page series of testimonies.

When with the Church make reparation?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭waves

When with the Church make reparation?

And when will the ordinary Catholics of this country demand action against the members who perpetrated these crimes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭O'Coonassa

The Catholic Church is responsible for fostering the abuse that was revealed in todays 2,500-page series of testimonies.

TBH the Irish Nation as a whole is to blame. If people hadn't generally been such fawning craven sycophants to those in 'holy orders' then this could never have happened. It's all very well to palm it off on the Church alone but the entire rotten social fabric of Dev's Ireland is what really lies behind it all IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭postcynical

This was anticipated and there was little shock in the announcement today. Even the initial anger is gone. It's almost routine now.

How could God let this happen?

How could people do this who were ostentatiously acting in the name of Christ?

How could God let them do this?

As a Catholic, how could Christ let this happen to His Church?

How could our bishops cover up these horrible acts. This part still angers me. Everything should come out into the open. What motivated the bishops to act in this way? Was it evil? Naivety? Laziness? The cowardly belief that by hiding a problem it would go away? Everything comes to light. Even this darkness will lead to light. But a lot of innocent people suffered. The weakest, the most vulnerable. Why did they get such a cross to bear?

As a Catholic I'm very upset today. But I'll get over it without any psychological trauma unlike those who were abused in the name of the one I follow.

The Church is not atheist, nor is it evil which is probably what you meant. The beating and kicking which the Irish Catholic Church has been getting and will continue to get will improve it. The same treatment does not work on a child.

Until the Church brings all the facts to light it cannot be repentant and cannot be forgiven. The past cannot be undone but Catholics are now charged with an extra mission to prevent such horrors today and tomorrow in our society.

May the Lord's healing touch come to those who are hurt.

O'Coonassa wrote: »
    TBH the Irish Nation as a whole is to blame. If people hadn't generally been such fawning craven sycophants to those in 'holy orders' then this could never have happened. It's all very well to palm it off on the Church alone but the entire rotten social fabric of Dev's Ireland is what really lies behind it all IMO.

O'Coonassa, I don't think you're right, with respect.

Let us not try to share the blame that belongs to the 800 abusers and those who actively sheltered them, their bosses in the Catholic Church.

To do so dilutes their guilt.

But if you want to do something, you - and all other Catholics - could write a letter of protest to your bishop, cardinal and pope, cc-ing it to the heads of the religious orders, demanding - not asking, demanding - that land and goods be sold immediately, without bargaining or wriggling or lying - and the money be given to the fund to compensate the Church's victims.

And if you want to feel comfortable that this has ended now, forget it. Many children go missing each year from the care of the Health Boards; it is thought that many are trafficked into brothels. There's a whole new can of worms waiting for us.

O'Coonassa, I don't think you're right, with respect.

Let us not try to share the blame that belongs to the 800 abusers and those who actively sheltered them, their bosses in the Catholic Church.

To do so dilutes their guilt.

But if you want to do something, you - and all other Catholics -

Er..I totally despise the Church that the Normans brought here. It made me not believe in God for a long time. But if it was entirely the RC Church that was responsible for this horror then why has it not happened to this extent in any other country?

And if you want to feel comfortable that this has ended now, forget it. Many children go missing each year from the care of the Health Boards; it is thought that many are trafficked into brothels. There's a whole new can of worms waiting for us.

Sorry, but if that's true, it kind of proves my point about the problem not being with the Church per se but with the nation.

Sorry, but if that's true, it kind of proves my point about the problem not being with the Church per se but with the nation.

It's true. What are you going to do about it, O'Coonassa?

It's true. What are you going to do about it, O'Coonassa?

Point my finger in the right direction I guess instead of trying to palm it all off on the RC Church.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,971 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Just listening to Drivetime's report on the systematic child abuse by Catholic clergy.

It seems to me that the church that protected serial rapists and murderers (there are graveyards of children in those 'reformatories') for decades could not possibly believe the words of Jesus.
    I've received infractions in this forum for saying a lot less than what you've just said and implied in your thread title.

You're a disgrace.

• Advertisement

Point my finger in the right direction I guess instead of trying to palm it all off on the RC Church.

You're absolutely right - the State was the employer of these people, and paid them, and failed to inspect the schools and reformatories, and supplied them with their baby victims.

When Henry Moore (a priest, I think?) made a report to the Department of Education on the conditions in Artane, the Department colluded with the Church in rubbishing it.

But the rapists and tormentors of the children were employees of the Catholic Church - oh, I know they don't use that word, but they were and are employees.

And the Church did - and does - suppress information, and refuse to compensate its employees' victims.

If this were a worldwide computer firm, say, you wouldn't be able to hear yourself for the howls of rage and demands for it to be stripped of every penny. The Catholic Church is just another employer, and should be forced to compensate for its employees' actions, and for its own actions in backing its employees rather than its victims.

Advertisement