Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDMI 1080 what connection to buy?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

HI.... question as im getting a new fancy schmancy tv and im a little bit unsavvy.

The chunky grey cable going from xbox to tv currently is covering HDMI port so i cant connect both at same time.
    A, Would i be able to connect to new tv as it is? Assume this is what you refer to as 'component cable'. or can i use HDMI cable instead of the grey one but i would lose sound you say?

Think i have another Q but its gone for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Personally I definitely notice the difference between component and hdmi. When I first switched to hdmi, the colours of the image looked much more vibrant. Resolution wise, obviously they are completely comparable.
    The chunky grey cable going from xbox to tv currently is covering HDMI port so i cant connect both at same time.
    A, Would i be able to connect to new tv as it is? Assume this is what you refer to as 'component cable'. or can i use HDMI cable instead of the grey one but i would lose sound you say?

You chose one or the other, component or hdmi. The difference is that sound is carried over the hdmi cable (either stereo or surround), whereas it is split for component (either you use the red and white coaxial cable for stereo or optical for surround).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Is the HDMI cable that comes with xbox any good? i never used it and lost, i use a monster hdmi now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭andy1249

Listen to the experts , the part about picture quality is about 2 minutes in ,

http://www.avforums.com/tv/index.php?videoid=121

Theres no picture or audio difference over HDMI , its completely impossible , monster cables are a scam , if you pay more than a tenner for a cable youve been had.

betafrog wrote: »
    So the one that comes with your XBox would be just as good as the Monster cable you bought.

Bought???:D:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭budhabob

Well I did the slight modification and it works fine but I discovered something very annoying.

The Xbox reboots each time the HDMI port becomes active. I was playing Far Cry 2 over the HDMI, I paused, having not saved in a while, and switched over to Sky to watch the Ireland match, when I went back to the input for the xbox and the video connection went live again the ****in xbox reboots to initialise it again. Lost about an hours gaming.

Sickened.

Ya, i noticed this with far cry 2, was fortunate not to lose anything, was loading the xbox but noticed the controller wouldnt connect until i changed to the HDMI.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

Does anyone know how much HDMI cables should cost? And does anyone know the price of them in Xtra-Vision?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

ajeffares wrote: »
    Does anyone know how much HDMI cables should cost? And does anyone know the price of them in Xtra-Vision?

around 5-8 euro in Argos. As good as those Monster cables costing 60 euro ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Tesco value cable ftw :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 TONY T

Korvanica wrote: »
    Or if youve a vga adapter on your tv use this:

Xbox 360 Vga

I use it and picture is excellent

Pity there isnt a proper one for the playstation3

Being computer illiterate does the cable with the three coloured points not do for HDMI or do I need another cable now for better pictures

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

Originally Posted by Korvanica View Post

Xbox 360 Vga

where is the chrapiest place to buy a vga cable and how much lads? just a shop dont want to wait for postage etc

• Registered Users Posts: 40 sierraecho

docentore wrote: »
    around 5-8 euro in Argos. As good as those Monster cables costing 60 euro ;)

What, I never thought to look in Argos. Paid €30 for mine in PC world (Which was the cheapest) Will make sure to shop around more next time.
    But at least the picture looks great. :D

HDMI is a Digital connection ie: 0`s & 1`s.

So once the 0`s & 1`s are getting to and from the 360 it makes no difference, once the build quality of the cable is decent any will do.

I have a mate who is completely technology blind, doent know or care about any of it.

He has a full HD tv which he didnt know what HD was it was just "a flat tv". he still uses scart to connect everything, including the xbox, he still had the hdmi cable in the box.

"sure whats that? dont need that, have the scart cable!"

i was like.... what!!!

So i changed it up for him, best settings for the console and tv. His jaw dropped. Stuck on GOW2 to show it off.

he now has sky HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

fox007 wrote: »
    Originally Posted by Korvanica View Post

Xbox 360 Vga

where is the chrapiest place to buy a vga cable and how much lads? just a shop dont want to wait for postage etc
    ??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    I have a mate who is completely technology blind, doent know or care about any of it.

He has a full HD tv which he didnt know what HD was it was just "a flat tv". he still uses scart to connect everything, including the xbox, he still had the hdmi cable in the box.

"sure whats that? dont need that, have the scart cable!"

i was like.... what!!!

So i changed it up for him, best settings for the console and tv. His jaw dropped. Stuck on GOW2 to show it off.

he now has sky HD.

those kind of people make little technology jesus cry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 vwfox

Does an xbox 360 with hdmi on it give out better quailty than one that does not have hdmi written on the back?

and whats the difference between them?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

No.

The difference is the older 360s don't have a HDMI connection, you can connect using composite, component or VGA. The HDMI 360s can be connected using these too but also have the HDMI connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭rocco

Guys just a quick one if you attach your xbox to your HD tv with just the HDMI cable does it carry the video and audio or do you require additional cables for the audio? Not quiet sure from reading all the comments and have seen some clips like the one below which uses an additionl cables for audio.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFCmlfAm6kU&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭emrys

rocco wrote: »
    Guys just a quick one if you attach your xbox to your HD tv with just the HDMI cable does it carry the video and audio or do you require additional cables for the audio? Not quiet sure from reading all the comments and have seen some clips like the one below which uses an additionl cables for audio.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFCmlfAm6kU&feature=related

i picked one up recently - the HDMI cable carries video and audio - no need for additional cables.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

I got an Xbox 360 recently and have a 19" Philips HD television to play the games on. I've never had any cause to get up to speed on A/V terms so I tried to find out if getting a HDMI cable was worth any money. Lots of forums were talking about component and composite and I'm still confused as to what either of them are and which one comes with the Xbox. The general feeling that I left these forums with was that buying HDMI cable and connecting with that would give a small/negligible benefit, but not worth paying €50 (or $100) for the cable.

Anyway, I went looking and got myself a goldy 2m cable for €20 today and was very pleasantly surprised with what happened when I connected it and turned the Xbox on. I still have only one game, but here are some photographs of the telly screen with various stages of Call of Duty - Modern Warfare 2.

This series of photos show 3 different scenes with 2 photos of each. The first photo of each pair is with the HDMI cable and the second of each pair is with the cable that ships with the Xbox (whatever it's called!)

Hopefully this will help anybody who's wondering.

GameWindow-HDMI.JPG

GameWindow-ShippedCable.JPG

PressStart-HDMI.JPG

PressStart-ShippedCable.JPG

Ranger-HDMI.JPG

Ranger-ShippedCable.JPG

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Quickie, in Game yesterday and they had the HDMI/Optical XBox 360 dual cable pack at €12, very good for bricks and mortar

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

slave1 wrote: »
    Quickie, in Game yesterday and they had the HDMI/Optical XBox 360 dual cable pack at €12, very good for bricks and mortar

That's actually a good price, which Game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

huge difference in fifa 11 with hd cable in 1080p :D would breal my heart to play it any other way

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭denballs

For anyone looking to buy a hdmi cable, there selling 2 metre hdmi cables in the 2 euro shop at the top of talbot street across for guineys.There good quality, gold plated packaged with connecter guards.I just got one to connect my HD laptop to my 1080p 42 inch tv, works great, transfers picture/audio perfectly without any lag.

P.S...to send audio via hdmi cable you need a laptop capable of doing so, then you go to the devices section of control panel and set the hdmi device as the default audio device, and change back to pc speakers when you,ve finished using the hdmi cable.

Advertisement