Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happens if a TV license inspector calls, and you don't have a TV?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

I got rid of my TV early last year but got my reminder in the post (well, more of a threat than a reminder but anyhows).
    Head like a sieve as to the exact details but I did fill out a form stating that I have no TV, and sent it back into them.

There's been no contact from them since...but then again my doorbell ain't working.:)

Call up the TV licence peeps and ask for this magical piece of paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

snaps wrote: »
    Yes if you have any piece of equipment that can be used to receive tv broadcasts either satellite or aerial you need a licence. My neighbours have a uhf aerial on their chimney, they are hungarian and they dont have a tv or a tv tuner in the house, but they are now being taking to court as they refussed to get a licence for that aerial, even though they never watch tv. Ive offered to take the aerial down, but its a rented house and the landlord doesnt want it taken down. I find it all a bit rediculous, as it seems now that the licence really is a tax and every house should pay it if they watch tv or not.

I agree with Fuzzy earlier- you can anything you like on the roof. The hungarians should tell the inspector to "fcuk off" in hungarian.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

no they asked them in and they showed them they had no tv but they stated they had to have a licence for the aerial as it was capable of tv reception.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

A judge would not convict in that case.

Shure I have a wardrobe full of coat hangers capable of recieving TV signals,but I don't need a licence for them all...........what a load of old sh1te.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

How would it work on a semi detatched house then ? A single aerial on the chimney could be for either (or both) houses. And good point RE: the coat hangers

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

My aerials on roof
    roofAerials-w.png

The TV aerial is only about 7ft off ground near back door :) THe larger aerial there is 4.5m long on a motor drive. You can get TV reception from the 25MHz to 1300MHz "discone" on chimney.

Obviously the intent of the act is a Broadcast Receiver & display. Not an aerial. People on Cable TV or Fibre IPTV with live broadcast (UPC, Magnet, Smart, Homevision) or just a dish need a TV licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Bright Smile

Hello all,

Just wondering if anyone knows whether a tv licence is needed if a house is unoccupied?

Cheers
    BS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Dumb

Hello all,

Just wondering if anyone knows whether a tv licence is needed if a house is unoccupied?

Cheers
    BS

If it has a tv yes. Even if it isn't used once there is a tv in the premises a license is required. I hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭cfcj

if there is a TV there and working then probably, just take the TV out if its unoccupied then they can't do ya. Though if nobody is there they can't check :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

I would have thought a TV in an unoccupied house could be a bit of a grey area TBH. I mean who would actually to be deemed in "possession" of said TV ?

bk wrote: »
    Actually I think they might.

I believe that at least in the UK, when you buy TV equipment, they take your details at the store and pass it along to the TV licensing crowd.

My brother signed up to Sky shortly after moving into a new house. Less than a week later a TV licence inspector showed up. Luckily nobody was there because although he had a licence he hadn't transferred it to the new house yet.

I just found it very coincidental that an inspector showed up so soon after he got Sky. I also seem to remember my parents' place getting spot checked after they got Sky installed.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Karsini wrote: »
    My brother signed up to Sky shortly after moving into a new house. Less than a week later a TV licence inspector showed up. Luckily nobody was there because although he had a licence he hadn't transferred it to the new house yet.

That wouldn't have been a problem then, they won't hassle you if you've recently moved in and had it at a previous address, they'll just remind you to have it transfered over.
    Karsini wrote: »
    I just found it very coincidental that an inspector showed up so soon after he got Sky. I also seem to remember my parents' place getting spot checked after they got Sky installed.

Could just be a coincidence, is it a new housing estate, the license inspectors specifically target and call to every new home and apartment in new developments, just to remind people to get a license. In fairness they don't tend to be heavy handed about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

TV licence inspector called 2-3 days after installing Sky 2.5 yrs ago when we moved in here. We were the first people to occupy a house on the estate and installed Sky the following week. Dish was on the gable at the side, not in view and the estate didn't look like it was lived in yet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,378 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

There is a difference between the UK and Ireland. In the UK, you must be using the set without a license, hence the detector vans. In Ireland, if you have the equipment to receive the broadcast, then you must have a TV. Also, a portable TV that runs from batteries does not need a license in the UK, but it does here.

It is the receiving of broadcast that is the defining element here. A computer with broadband does not have the capability of receiving rf modulations, hence no license required. With a TV card, it does, and so needs the license.

The inspector may have the right to inspect, I am not familliar with the particular act, but many people, such as Customs or a bailiff, can enter your home.

If you refuse, they will need a Garda to enforce that right. It all depends on the act under which the power is given.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

There are no bailiffs in Ireland.

TV licence inspectors need a warrant to enter.

Only Customs and officials in pursuit of illegal Wireless Telegraphy Transmission can enter without a warrant. Everyone else needs a Warrant+ garda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    TV licence inspector called 2-3 days after installing Sky 2.5 yrs ago when we moved in here. We were the first people to occupy a house on the estate and installed Sky the following week. Dish was on the gable at the side, not in view and the estate didn't look like it was lived in yet.
    I don't think its Sky supplying the details, or at least not just Sky.
    I don't have Sky but within weeks of me moving into my new (to me) house, I received a letter reminding me to buy a licence.
    They must get details of people who move into a new address.

An Posts systems spot "new Address's and then as they are charged with the job of enforcing/collecting the Tv licence, they send out the whinging letters to pay for the talentless gimps in RTE.
    Sky do not hand over info, by law they can't.

watty wrote: »
    Only Customs and officials in pursuit of illegal Wireless Telegraphy Transmission can enter without a warrant. Everyone else needs a Warrant+ garda
    Can understand Customs.
    By "officials", do you mean Comreg?

Any instances I know of Comreg (and the ODTR + Post office before them) entering a premises to seize, they always have had a warrant (and Gardai to hold their hands :rolleyes:).

• Advertisement

In practice this will be true. In theory it's possible.

So in reality "Only Customs".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 booba

Hi,
    I received a letter from the ANPOST TV LICENCE Office telling that I have been visited in January and that I have to pay 160 euros as they pretend that I have a tv set. (my name is misspelled on the letter)
    The funny thing is that I wasn't there when this visit happened. I was my wife and me on holidays in Spain. And on the top of that I don't have tv.
    I am renting a flat, where only my wife and me are living.
    I call the tv licence call centre, they told me to send them a copy of my ticket flight. I did it, and didn't get any answers... then I decided to go to their office.
    The officer in duty was quite rude with me, he said that he doesn't believe one second my story, that if it wasn't my wife or me who answered to the inspector, it's one of my friends..."inspectors doesn't lie, they don't get any bonuses, there is no reason for them to lie".
    During this conversation the officer told me that I said to the the inspector that I was new in the building... I am living here since 2 years.
    I asked him if there is not a possible mixup with my neighbors next doors, who are new in the building. Finaly he told me that he will see the matter with the inspector.
    I received an answer 2 days after telling me that the inspector confirmed his version, "an man gave you your name, told that you were new in the building"
    After that I have been talking to my neighbors next door, they told me that they received the visit of the inspector at the same date than the inspector pretended to visit me... they didn't even open him their door, they told him that they were new in the building and having at tv set.
    They didn't receive the tv licence bill letter and I did? WTF!!!
    I mailed them back about to report them this, but no answers from them.
    Something that sounds weird for me is why in Ireland the inspector when they do such a visit don't ask for ID's of the people, and don't ask them to sign a statement dates and signed from the people who are controlled.
    So now I am considering to go to the Garda to fill a complaint, and also to call my sollicitor. I someone has any ideas... let me know

Do nothing more.
    Keep copies of any correspondence between you and An Post.
    No TV, no problem.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Stickey for all TV licence queries. Otherwise we may as well rename this forum the TV Licence forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement