Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Where do i insure high performance car?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Hmmmm, Britton is having hassles with jap imports alright with their underwriter Prestige.
    My advice is to ask some Skyline owners where they get cover.
    There must be an online forum for them on the net somewhere or put up a post on octane.

Octane m8? Is that somekind of irish sports car club/forum?

btw i got a qoute on integra type-R for 1.3k eu..... Hows that is less dangerous?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ferris

Try First Ireland, they insured my 200sx no probs, its not an import however. 01 8820800

Ferris wrote: »
    Try First Ireland, they insured my 200sx no probs, its not an import however. 01 8820800

i can get insurance on 200sx no prob, just 17eu extra per month on quinn-direct.

So far i can get insured and with less then 1.4k eu are:

Integra type-r
    mr2 turbo
    200sx turbo
    legacy GTB
    c70 T5

cant get insurance on:

any skyline or celica gt-four :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Octane m8? Is that somekind of irish sports car club/forum?

btw i got a qoute on integra type-R for 1.3k eu..... Hows that is less dangerous?

A safe and solid FWD drive car versus a sideways twitchy RWD turbo thats how its less dangerous

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

i can get insurance on 200sx no prob, just 17eu extra per month on quinn-direct.

So far i can get insured and with less then 1.4k eu are:

Integra type-r
    mr2 turbo
    200sx turbo
    legacy GTB
    c70 T5

cant get insurance on:

any skyline or celica gt-four :(

The quote on the teg probably isn't for an imported type r, who gave you that quote? Think the easiest thing to do is just get something other than a Skyline! If you go for the 200sx you'll save money on tax, insurance and petrol!

• Advertisement

Grahamo999 wrote: »
    The quote on the teg probably isn't for an imported type r, who gave you that quote? Think the easiest thing to do is just get something other than a Skyline! If you go for the 200sx you'll save money on tax, insurance and petrol!

200sx is on same tax, i whant r32 gtst. i got a qoute on 123.ie for teg.

And honda integra really does not look safer then skyline. Type-r civic are even harder to insure.

I whant a skyline, becouse its mine dream car since i was a little kid. Its like a cossy for old people :D. Theres not alot of nice 200sx out there aswell....

If it was with 123 then its for a uk Teg.

The 2L 200sx costs €614 a year, the 2.5L GTST Skyline costs €935.

Or do you want the 2L non turbo?!

*EDIT Had a looky there, never knew you could get a 2L GTST

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Shadow, octane.ie, ask there.

Grahamo999 wrote: »
    If it was with 123 then its for a uk Teg.

The 2L 200sx costs €614 a year, the 2.5L GTST Skyline costs €935.

Or do you want the 2L non turbo?!

*EDIT Had a looky there, never knew you could get a 2L GTST

the r32 gtst was 2.0l if i am not mistaken m8. I would actually love to go for a UK model ( teg). Are they much harder to get ladS?

oh yeah lads i can get insured 328 for freaking less then 1.2k eu... Now thats a dodgy rear wheel drive car...

• Advertisement

a 2.0l skyline is only 130 bhp isn't it? should be incredibly easy to insure

draffodx wrote: »

2.0 turbo. r32 was with 2.0 turbo engine r33 goes with 2.5turbo engine m8.

No point driving a 2.0 skyline, its like w*nking, you got the action, but no pleasure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ferris

Lifted from Wiki:D:

R32
    • GXi Type-X - 1.8 L CA18i I4, 91 hp (67 kW)
    • GTE Type-X - 2.0 L RB20E I6, 125 hp (93 kW, 152 N m)
    • GTS Type-X, S, J - 2.0 L RB20DE I6 155 hp (115 kW, 154 N m)
    • GTS-25 Type-X, S, XG - 2.5 L RB25DE I6, 180 hp (134 kW, 231 N m)
    • GTS-t Type-M - 2.0 L RB20DET turbo I6, 212 hp (158 kW, 263 N m)
    • GTS-4 - 2.0 L RB20DET turbo I6, 212 hp (158 kW, 263 N m)
    • Autech Skyline - 2.6 L RB26DE I6, 217 hp (162 kW, Autech Version - auto only)
    • GT-R - 2.6 L RB26DETT twin-turbo I6, 276hp (280ps) (206 kW, 368 N m) also NISMO,N1, V-Spec, and V-Spec II variants.
    • NISMO S-Tune
    R33
    If the OP wants a Skyline than thats his call. Its gonna cost as they are all imports of course. Personally I think an Irish model 200sx with a few slight mods will be easier to insure and cheaper to tax (and buy) than an R32 while being as quick or quicker.

OP have you called First Ireland, I find them very good to deal with and they'll level with you whether you'll be able to insure a Skyline.

Another crowd is ARB, they quote high performance imports

cheers so far lads, i called today a few places, ill be calling tommorow again.

I know SX200 would be easyer, but like i said..... i really really have a boner for a skyline :(.

Like i said, i havent seen much of nice 200sx out there aswell..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

@OP
    Did you ever consider getting trade insurance?
    I had it for a few years when I had various subarus, skylines, etc. I was insured as a part time trader (as I had a full time job elsewhere) and my renewal this year was around 1000 yoyo. I'm 32 BTW. It was through John Power Insurance in limerick. It was handy because I always had a second, diesel car for everyday use. I could drive anything up to 3.5 ton.

+1

Im with the same crowd. 25, 3 Years NCB.
    Driving a Subaru Impreza WRX STI.
    €1700 (This is my first year with them)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Ullyz

hello while ago had the same problem as you, was very pissed off and angry about those incredible high insurance price tags. i was loking for non turbo supra 3.0 and most of the insurance companies gave me 2-3k price tag on insurance. but then i found what i was looking for..

well probably its not the most popular insurance company in Ireland, and i guess its pretty young on the market, thats why they have so low prices..
    http://www.nononsense.ie

What i liked about their website that they provide instant quote, no need for long form fill up, and finaly what you got is the message that our manager will contact you.. messages like this simply blown my brains out.

so.. about company, i didn't insure car there yet, but the quotas looks very nice.

I entered information you provided (23yo, 2ncb, engine 2.6, car value 8k, licence full eu)

Third Party €627.10
    Third Party, Fire and Theft €728.10
    Comprehensive €899.99

quote id: 32T 8MW

i guess its the best offer you can get in Ireland.

you might think that i work there, but no, simply i understand your feelings when you want a car, you have money, but you need to give away same amount of money as your price costs.
    so, enjoy! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭jackblack99

Ullyz wrote: »
    hello while ago had the same problem as you, was very pissed off and angry about those incredible high insurance price tags. i was loking for non turbo supra 3.0 and most of the insurance companies gave me 2-3k price tag on insurance. but then i found what i was looking for..

well probably its not the most popular insurance company in Ireland, and i guess its pretty young on the market, thats why they have so low prices..
    http://www.nononsense.ie

What i liked about their website that they provide instant quote, no need for long form fill up, and finaly what you got is the message that our manager will contact you.. messages like this simply blown my brains out.

so.. about company, i didn't insure car there yet, but the quotas looks very nice.

I entered information you provided (23yo, 2ncb, engine 2.6, car value 8k, licence full eu)

Third Party €627.10
    Third Party, Fire and Theft €728.10
    Comprehensive €899.99

quote id: 32T 8MW

i guess its the best offer you can get in Ireland.

you might think that i work there, but no, simply i understand your feelings when you want a car, you have money, but you need to give away same amount of money as your price costs.
    so, enjoy! ;)

it quotes you on that alright but as soon as you enter in the car details it says they are unable to quote you. Its the same as all the rest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Ullyz

As i mentioned, i didnt try to insure there yet, you did?

as jackblack says no nonsense will quick quote you a price as it means that on comparison sites they always offer a quote or the lowest quote, as soon as you go further and fill in the exact car details you'll get the we cant quote this car message

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 suprasonic

Yup thats true they will quick qoute you but then further down they wont qoute you when you enter all the detials.i spent 8 hours in work getting qoutes for my supra and i think only 2 qouted me online out of around 20 ha.The best thing ye can do there is ring them and say your transferring it give them the reg and they will come back with a qoute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭pablosd

one of the lads da works wif me is 19, 1yr NCB, and he got his r32 turbo insured wif quinn for 2100e if i can remember rite...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

^^ I doubt that somehow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 mtechdrukan

pablosd wrote: »
    one of the lads da works wif me is 19, 1yr NCB, and he got his r32 turbo insured wif quinn for 2100e if i can remember rite...

are u on about that ronan buck??? yeah dats rite, he even has his skyline advertised on adverts.ie hence his nickname roncon90... around 2k he said neways

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

912e for me with Quinn for Third party fire and theft and windscreen cover.

22m, 2yr ncb, full lic.

Fabia VRS with remap declared.

Previous insurer Axa wanted 1700e :pac:

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    912e for me with Quinn for Third party fire and theft and windscreen cover.

22m, 2yr ncb, full lic.

Fabia VRS with remap declared.

Previous insurer Axa wanted 1700e :pac:
    Thats bloody good!

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

What you need to do is ring the insurance company you are with and told them you have just bought a car and want to transfer your insurance onto it, then they will tell you how much it is. They are obliged to cover you on ANY car you buy.. I just sold a skyline recently, when i was buying it i rang up to get a quote because they had quoted me on it before, as the person started to tell me that they wouldnt quote me on it i interupted him and then hungup, then rang back the next day telling them i had bought it, there was a note put on the computer saying how i had been half refused coverage and they had to go talk to teh manager, i insited that i hadnt heard anything like that and they eventually agreed to it. Thats the way to do it though, just tell them you bought what you want a quote on, you might find its less transferring the cover than an actual quote too, with quinn anyway.

another option is to get garage insurance, for me with britton its about 1500 euro and means i can drive anything fully comp up to a value of around 100k i think, doesnt need a policy on it, doesnt need to be owned by anything specific etc.

edit, also my insruance on an r32gtst was 700 a year, im 28 full bonus, i find all cars are about that, i got a quote before on an m5 and it was expensive, about 1500 i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭jmck87

rowanh wrote: »
    ...another option is to get garage insurance, for me with britton its about 1500 euro and means i can drive anything fully comp up to a value of around 100k i think, doesnt need a policy on it, doesnt need to be owned by anything specific etc...

Do you not need to be registered as a trader to get trade insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭jackblack99

jmck87 wrote: »
    Do you not need to be registered as a trader to get trade insurance?

I think you do alright. If you didn't sure then everyone would be getting garage insurance for their performance cars.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 SpinIt

sideways twitchy RWD turbo thats how its less dangerous

Skylines originally are Awd, most people pull the awd fuse which makes them rwd

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement