Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Where do i insure high performance car?

Options
  • 19-05-2009 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭

i am insured with quinn-direct and got a clk200. Was thinking of changing a car in to something... more sexy i guess :D.

i am 23 male 2 ncb, with misses as named driver. Full eu license.

So i called them.. they insuring me:

200sx for 16eu/month extra
    legacy b4 for 14eu/month extra

But when i mentioned skyline, i was told: we are not doing insurance for skyline alltogether...

I tryed 123.ie they insuring me a cl500 for 1.6k eu, but not insuring any scooby or skyline :(.

So which insurance companies are dealing with high performance cars in ireland lads?

I do like 200sx, but since i was a kid, mine dream was a skyline r32. I am not hoping to have a GTR, but gtst would hit mine dream spot nicely :D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

http://www.brittoninsurance.com/ do performance car insurance. High excess I think, its really hard to insure the cars you mentioned though, but it seems to me that Quinn have changed their ways recently, the other day they quoted me online on a S15 Spec R cheaper than a Spec S! They use to not quote the Spec R or a 180sx for me and now they're cheaper than a non turbo...bit strange

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Britton jewellery there Grahamo yeah :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Britton will not do jap imports tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭pmcf

Try AA insurance im with them at the minute they were the only company that would insure me most companys will run a mile when you mention a skyline or similar car but at 23 you will have a tough time to get it insured

qz wrote: »
    Britton jewellery there Grahamo yeah :confused:
    Whoops, fixed that! I'm nearly sure they do Jap imports too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I'm 25 , 4 years ncb, full Irish license 5 years + and i cant even get skyline quotes these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

draffodx wrote: »
    I'm 25 , 4 years ncb, full Irish license 5 years + and i cant even get skyline quotes these days!

Serious??? OMg :eek: like i told you, i have no trouble insuring 200sx or scooby, but the skylines are not that far from it....

So what i need to be an old 40 years old fart to be able to insure skyline? :(. By that time there wount be any left .....

Thx so far lads!

if your insured with quinn already go into there offices and ask to speak to a manager, this way is usually more productive, mention you've contacted the Irish insurance federation and you will contact the financial ombudsman if necessary, they usually give you a quote then but because of your age and low ncb its gonna be expensive

It all makes it silly... 123.ie gives me insurance on cl500 with 5.0l engine. But cant to a 2.0 turbo...

Scooby would be even more dangerouos then skyline in mine opinion... But meh

Cheers again lads...

It all makes it silly... 123.ie gives me insurance on cl500 with 5.0l engine. But cant to a 2.0 turbo...

Scooby would be even more dangerouos then skyline in mine opinion... But meh

Cheers again lads...
    It would be more dangerous but I think insurance is based on the amount of incidents a certain type of car is involved in accidents, thefts etc, I can't get a quote on a 99 Civic Type R thats about 160ish BHP but I could get quotes on S15's, 180SX's, RX7's...all turbo RWD but easier to insure!

• Advertisement

Grahamo999 is correct, insurance works on how much they've had to pay out on a certain car, so for a type R, theres lots of them, a lot of young lads got insured in them and then a lot of them crashed them or had them robbed.

So a company will bump of the risk on that particular car, the Skyline would be heavily black marked because of this.

And a 4WD Impreza would be a lot safer than a RWD Skyline! :rolleyes:

Grahamo999 wrote: »
    Whoops, fixed that! I'm nearly sure they do Jap imports too

nope.

nope.
    My bad, thought they did, strange though that they have Skyline GTR's in their list and they only came as an import, bit stupid really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

All mentioned so far except the RX7 are pretty ugly imo :pac:

Why dont you get a good looking yoke, with useable grunt like a 350Z:p

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1386379

Insurance are not too bad on them.

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    All mentioned so far except the RX7 are pretty ugly imo :pac:

Why dont you get a good looking yoke, with useable grunt like a 350Z:p

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1386379

Insurance are not too bad on them.
    But what you save on insurance, you make up on in petrol and tax! 3.5L V6, she'd be a thirsty one! Lovely car all the same, if I was going for that class of car, i'd go for an S2000

Grahamo999 wrote: »
    My bad, thought they did, strange though that they have Skyline GTR's in their list and they only came as an import, bit stupid really.

They did quote for them, but then their cover provider stated no imports to be insured, this was approx 1 month ago. Think they use prestige for cover......did for me anyways.
    So, Jap import cover with Britton afaik is an issue but hopefully that has changed.
    OP, just call them. Very friendly people there.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭martydunf

They did quote for them, but then their cover provider stated no imports to be insured, this was approx 1 month ago. Think they use prestige for cover......did for me anyways.
    So, Jap import cover with Britton afaik is an issue but hopefully that has changed.
    OP, just call them. Very friendly people there.

Was on their site yesterday and it said to call so and so on a number for jap imports so they must insure them but I reckon they'll bump up the premium if they do.

Their about the only site that gave me a quote for nearly every other "performance" car except for any form of Skyline and Mitsubishi Evo!

AXA (who I'm currently insured with) wouldn't touch me on a Scooby WRX
    and Britton gave me a quote (online) of €2683 which I think is very good as I'm only 21 with 4 years NCB and full licence 3 years.

that 350z is relly nice thing, and i really dont think petrol would be worse then twin turbo yoke( Alot of people said that 525 and 540 have allmoust same MPG... so i am really not afraid of big engines :D.).

But i will be looking for a second car for our "family". I am giving mine car to misses and getting myself something sporty... so 3++ litters for tax is not an option unfortunatly :(. Insurance for me will be allready around 1.3k eu... So tax 1.5k eu will make a second hole in mine.... you know ^^.

It would be if i could trade in this current car... But they will give me pennys for it, so i better give it to misses.

Ill Try briton Insurance,little by little ,lads, you killing mine hopes of getting skyline :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 geogan

martydunf wrote: »
    AXA (who I'm currently insured with) wouldn't touch me on a Scooby WRX
    and Britton gave me a quote (online) of €2683 which I think is very good as I'm only 21 with 4 years NCB and full licence 3 years.

Age definitely must have something to do with it but don't bother with "normal" insurance companies like Hibernian - they have so much business from bog standard crappy cars that they don't want to take any risky high performance cars on at all. I rang around a few normal well known ones and they all said NO WAY as soon as they heard the words IMPREZA and WRX and I am 33!! I was even insured with Hibernian already and because of this they HAD to quote me but they gave me quote of about €2600 a year.
    Eventually i got a great quote for €1600 from company that Subaru dealer recommended - and that is with only 1 year NCB (should be 2 but Hibernian are complete c$nts) and 1 month full licence!!!!
    Don't know how different it would be if it was an STi though...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

geogan wrote: »
    Eventually i got a great quote for €1600 from company that Subaru dealer recommended - and that is with only 1 year NCB (should be 2 but Hibernian are complete c$nts) and 1 month full licence!!!!
    Don't know how different it would be if it was an STi though...

Whats the name of that company? 1600 ain't bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 geogan

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    Whats the name of that company? 1600 ain't bad.

ARB Insurance. They ONLY go through a middleman broker - I forget the name of the broker I went through right now.

Oh and even better that's with an excess of €300!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Dirty_Diesel

@OP
    Did you ever consider getting trade insurance?
    I had it for a few years when I had various subarus, skylines, etc. I was insured as a part time trader (as I had a full time job elsewhere) and my renewal this year was around 1000 yoyo. I'm 32 BTW. It was through John Power Insurance in limerick. It was handy because I always had a second, diesel car for everyday use. I could drive anything up to 3.5 ton.

Okay lads, now i am at stage where i could cry...... seriuosly... found on carzone a perfect skyline.... 1993 r32 gtst, white, and standart.... And its just perfect price aswell...

Ill try to call tommorow to Briton insurance, AA, alliance...

Any ather companies i could try? if i am getting insurance for it, ill be all over that car then...

Try that crowd xsdirect if your willing to commit to a massive excess.

Try that crowd xsdirect if your willing to commit to a massive excess.

i dont get it, i just enter mine age, type of license, and driving exp and it says 2k eu..... do they even care about the car it self?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

try travellers

got any specific broker? As long as i heard they dont do any deals directly...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 suprasonic

Im with quinn im 25 have 2 years ncb only have my full license a year my insurance on the peugeot 306 1.4 was 700 euros i rang quinn twice before i actually changed insurance on my 3 litre na supra.Twice i rang and they wouldnt qoute me i rang them the day before i changed my insurance and again they said they dont insure the cars.rang next day and within 2 secs of me saying im actually transferring the insurance to the supra they came back with me of a excellent qoute of 1400 which i was happy with fully comp.

try www.chill.ie there good but high excess.

okay lads..... i am near mentalo brake down....

called AA insurance: We dont do sports cars
    Called Briton insurance: We dont do Jap imports, But we will call you back when we do.
    When i called quinn-direct ( i am insured with them atm): said no, we dont work with skylines...

Dont know what do now... I whant that skyline, andits not even the r33, it an standart r32gtst.....

• Advertisement

Hmmmm, Britton is having hassles with jap imports alright with their underwriter Prestige.
    My advice is to ask some Skyline owners where they get cover.
    There must be an online forum for them on the net somewhere or put up a post on octane.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement