Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Poker worth learning?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭gwhiz

a-k-47 wrote: »
    pretty sad oul story, buy him one of these and kiss and make up.

degenerate_poker_tshirt_lg.gif

One detects a note of sarcasim there....
    Let me know where i can get the t-shirt and I will buy him seven... one for every day of the week seeing as he doesn't have time to wash himself anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

CM is far far more addictive then poker will ever be for me.
    I remember in school, I just think about the big games to come ,formations, who I want to buy, injuries etc. During lunch I'd talk to others about what players they recommend. I'd go home and play it straight away. 4:30 to whenever my dad went to bed (computer was is parents room at that stage, such a beat) Go to bed at start again the next day. This lasted for months.

I can barely go more then 90 minutes to 2 hours at poker before I have to quit. A lot of the times sessions are shorter.

I refuse to play since bar a a lapse or 2 as I know what could happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Many a friend I have made and lost over champ mano, I don't think the same can be said over poker, not the many part any...

Can we re-name this thread "Bitter Wench of an Ex-gf moans about her ex- Also contains Championship Manager discussion"???

Just to make the content clearer to the casual reader.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

01/02 was the best imo.

• Advertisement

Moneymaker wrote: »
    01/02 was the best imo.

Agreed, it was perfection imo.

Can we re-name this thread "Bitter Wench of an Ex-gf moans about her ex- Also contains Championship Manager discussion"???

Just to make the content clearer to the casual reader.

Call me what you like cause Im not even gonna stoop to your level but im sure most of the people posting on this thread know exactly what you are......

gwhiz wrote: »
    Call me what you like cause Im not even gonna stoop to your level but im sure most of the people posting on this thread know exactly what you are......

Practically perfect in every way...

I can tell you that they all know exactly what I am, not most of them.

I am not really trying to insult you (although I admit it came off that way) as much as I am trying to show you how poorly you are coming off.

You are complaining about the habits of an addict not a poker player yet you are labeling poker players as slobs with poor hygiene and stating we cannot maintain a balance between life and poker.

On a board specifically for poker players you must admit your assertions are far more insulting than mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭BuChan

anonymous insults are one of the finest features of the internets. i'm going to throw my hat in the ring and say that your probably a crap girlfriend and seem to be somewhat naive and dimwitted. id hazard a guess at you not being attractive either.

• Advertisement

BuChan wrote: »
    anonymous insults are one of the finest features of the internets.

Unfair, like I said I didn't really mean to insult her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭BuChan

lol i know. i was just wondering why not. then decided i'd have a pop at her for no good reason really. i'm mega-ultra-supa-turbo bored and wrestling a multiday hangover, ignore me.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Icarus152

Pic's of yourself would help your case OP.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Less of the insults please. See if we can get to a 3rd page (for those with sensible posts per page) without it being locked.

5starpool wrote: »
    Less of the insults please. See if we can get to a 3rd page (for those with sensible posts per page) without it being locked.

My original "insult" is still quoted in Luke's post. Since you are on a cleaning job (admit it was funny though!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

cooker3 wrote: »
    CM is far far more addictive then poker will ever be for me.
    I remember in school, I just think about the big games to come ,formations, who I want to buy, injuries etc. During lunch I'd talk to others about what players they recommend. I'd go home and play it straight away. 4:30 to whenever my dad went to bed (computer was is parents room at that stage, such a beat) Go to bed at start again the next day. This lasted for months.

I can barely go more then 90 minutes to 2 hours at poker before I have to quit. A lot of the times sessions are shorter.

I refuse to play since bar a a lapse or 2 as I know what could happen.

It really was a sickening game. I'd play all night easily on it, it's impossible to stop as there's always something to keep you going whether it's a big cup match, the jan/summer transfer window etc etc. The new football manager is a bit of a let down, it's bloody difficult and it's fairly slow aswell.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

My original "insult" is still quoted in Luke's post. Since you are on a cleaning job (admit it was funny though!)

Cleaning? That would require effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Its action, everything else is just waiting.

Women buy high heel shoes and handbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

kincsem wrote: »
    Its action, everything else is just waiting.

Women buy high heel shoes and handbags.

Poker is action?

Lol if played right its mind numbing tedium interspersed with the odd moment of excitement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭max_power

Poker is action?

Lol if played right its lots of fun and = $$$$'s

fyp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,237 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭max_power

Good post LL

Great post Lloyd.

FWIW the best decision I ever made was to stop thinking of poker as anything other than an occasional hobby. I saw that road you speak of and where the sicko live regs end up and decided a different path lay ahead of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

I am jumping on the LL ftw bandwagon also. Well said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I just dl'd a copy of CM 01/02 with a data update from march 09. This should be fun!

I can tell you that they all know exactly what I am, not most of them.

I am not really trying to insult you (although I admit it came off that way) as much as I am trying to show you how poorly you are coming off.

You are complaining about the habits of an addict not a poker player yet you are labeling poker players as slobs with poor hygiene and stating we cannot maintain a balance between life and poker.

On a board specifically for poker players you must admit your assertions are far more insulting than mine.

Yes he is an addict.... with an addiction to online Poker and if you read one of my previous posts I did say that I never meant to offend or insult anyone of this thread. All I was doing was trying to explain how his addiction had affected MY life. If you feel I have insulted "poker players" well that was not my intention and just because I have posted in the poker forum and I am NOT a poker player means nothing. I am still entitled to my opinion.

Lucky Lloyd... you sure are "The Voice of Reason" :D
    Excellent post.

Yes he is an addict.... with an addiction to online Poker and if you read one of my previous posts I did say that I never meant to offend or insult anyone of this thread. All I was doing was trying to explain how his addiction had affected MY life. If you feel I have insulted "poker players" well that was not my intention and just because I have posted in the poker forum and I am NOT a poker player means nothing. I am still entitled to my opinion.

It must have been hard on you. I have no doubt about that. But you did lay insults at the feet of a guy who is gripped by an addiction. He needs help, not scorn.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

It really was a sickening game. I'd play all night easily on it, it's impossible to stop as there's always something to keep you going whether it's a big cup match, the jan/summer transfer window etc etc. The new football manager is a bit of a let down, it's bloody difficult and it's fairly slow aswell.

Just 1 more game....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

I must get around to learning how to play it someday.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement