Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cage Contender....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

ive watched a few mma matches in my time and ive seen and talked to fighters who have given it their all for a plastic trophy and a pat on the back. cage contender 100 qiud in and the chance to make it £1100 plus a chance to be the best pound for pound fighter in the country i say cage contender why not

what horse crap, all pro fighters in ireland get payed, and 100 would be the minimum, 100 for doing 2-3 fights is nothing,, the trophys are an extra..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

ive watched a few mma matches in my time and ive seen and talked to fighters who have given it their all for a plastic trophy and a pat on the back. cage contender 100 qiud in and the chance to make it £1100 plus a chance to be the best pound for pound fighter in the country i say cage contender why not
    lol the best pound for pound fighter????
    I'm guessing people like Taz Mccombe would have something to say about that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

While I don't agree with crosstrainer's comments, I also have to admire the standard of officials that this show has. They're obviously trying to get the best show they can and I for one say good luck to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭John Ferguson

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Jason Mc

Any fighters signed up yet?

• Advertisement

Jason Mc wrote: »
    Any fighters signed up yet?

Deadline for applications is 1st July 2009. Feel free to contact us by telephone for a full update or to discuss a possible entry on the undercard
    028 90 998720

Kind Regards

John

Just off the phone from the organisers and they seem to be doing everything right, good refs and judges in place and are willing to listen to feedback given..

I'll have no problem supplying fighters if i have any available, and dont see why other clubs would not do likewise, the more promoters we have that are willing to help build irish mma the better..

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭David Jones

Apart from the obvious lack of quality referees ;) I would definitely prefer 5 min rounds even if its a tournament style. If need be do a 2 x 5 min a la TUF and then a decider rounnd if need be. But 3 mins isnt a great amount of time for Pro MMA.

COMPETITION UPDATES : 03/06/2009

We have now received conformation of our list of officials for the cage contender event taking place on the 22/08/09 along with details of the weigh in and after-fight party. Please find the required information below.

REFEREES

Mr Grant Waterman

Grant Waterman is without doubt the best known, most respected and most active MMA referee on the UK circuit. An absolute pillar of the UK MMA community, it seems that his smiling face can be seen at the vast majority of events in the UK and he is widely recognized as one of the most active contributors to the scene. Grant has experience in refereeing over 500 contests and has been involved in almost every major event in the UK including Cage Wars, Cage Rage and Cage Warriors.

Mr Alex Owen

This fighter needs no introduction in the UK MMA circuit, with a total of 51 fights under his belt before his retirement in July 2007 and having defeated some of the biggest names in the Featherweight category; Alex Owen is one of the country’s most successful fighters. Since his retirement Alex has been involved heavily in promoting, referring and judging MMA events all over the UK including recently the Angrrr Management and House of Pain Events.

JUDGES

Mr Paul James

Paul James is a Black belt in Kick Boxing and Jiu-Jitsu and an Orange Sash in Capoeira he holds an 08:04:00 kick boxing record and has been training MMA since 2005 he last competed at Extreme Brawl 11 where he won by GNP in Round 1. Paul concentrates his time more on promoting now but still trains and teaches twice a week. Paul is the man behind the FX3 fighting brand which is one of the most highly regarded in the UK.

Mr James Fear

James Fear is one of the UKs most in demand judges. Having been a successful Submission Wrestling judge for a number of years, James was invited to judge in MMA events at the end of his amateur fighting career. James is an active Mixed Martial Artist and has most recently judged at the House of Pain and Angrrr Management Events in the UK.

Mr Alex Owen

See Above

MASTER OF CEREMONIES

Andy ‘Sledge’ Laverty

In the last 10 years MMA has become a major part of his life. He began training Thai Boxing and Brazilian Jui Jitsu at the Tokei Academy in London Bridge under Ronaldo Camposs (a student of Ze Marcallo) and never looked back. He has trained with some of the best including Chuck Liddell, Frank Shamrock, Paul Daley, Robbie Olivier and Lee Doski. Sledge started his MC career on 27th July 2003 in the Cage Warriors 4 show in Portsmouth and this has snowballed into a “hobby” that takes up 30 weekends a year. He has worked for Cage Rage, Angrrr Management, Ultimate Force, FX3, Cage Warriors, FCFN, AMMA, ZT Fight Night and Cage Rage Contenders among others.

MEDICAL STAFF

Ambulance

Two ambulance crew will be in attendance to provide any emergency medical care that may be required to the fighters and any attending spectators.

Doctor

A British Medical Association registered Doctor will oversee fighter safety before, during and after each fight. The doctor will be responsible for pre-fight medical, random drug testing, in-fight care and post-fight medical. The doctor’s details will be provided to the promoters at a date closer to the event.

OTHER INFORMATION

WEIGH IN

The weigh in for all fighters will now take place at 17:00 on the 21st August 2009 in the St Patrick Suite at the Denvir's Hotel Complex in Downpatrick.

AFTER PARTY

The exclusive after-fight party will begin at 11:30pm at the Denvir’s Hotel Complex in Downpatrick.

Competition format, rules or venue may be subject to change at any time by the promoters, while every effort will be made to contact effected parties, the promoters accept no responsibility for changes made. Please see www.fight.ie for the latest information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 joeicta

hi lads im new to this web lark im just tellling how great that these guys are putting on the mma competion in downpatrick. newcastle downpatrick and the rest of east and south down are looking forward to the competion. I teach Muay Thai and kickboxing in downpatrick with over 30 students and there is a great buzz about the place. Ive been talking to theses guys and they are pulling all the stops out for this cage contender contest.I can honestly say this will be a great event for this area.mma has had a bad press in the local towns due to certain individuals miss repersenting the sport to boost there own egos as cage fighters. im sure that the martial artists who enter this event will be great amabassadors for the sport.
    cherrs joe

• Advertisement

joeicta wrote: »
    mma has had a bad press in the local towns due to certain individuals miss repersenting the sport to boost there own egos as cage fighters. im sure that the martial artists who enter this event will be great amabassadors for the sport.
    cherrs joe

Joe!
    How do you know the fighters will be great ambassadors for the sport?

Who is misrepresenting the sport?
    the reason i ask is the only negativity i hear from MMA is occasionally in the press and is unrelated to any bad people in MMA,
    Also Joe, why would the organisers be talking to a Kickboxing coach?

Although probably well intended your post appears to smack of ignorance.

your welcome to defend yourself, and clarify the questions.

hi lads im new to this web lark im just tellling how great that these guys are putting on the mma competion in downpatrick. newcastle downpatrick and the rest of east and south down are looking forward to the competion. I teach Muay Thai and kickboxing in downpatrick with over 30 students and there is a great buzz about the place. Ive been talking to theses guys and they are pulling all the stops out for this cage contender contest.I can honestly say this will be a great event for this area.mma has had a bad press in the local towns due to certain individuals miss repersenting the sport to boost there own egos as cage fighters. im sure that the martial artists who enter this event will be great amabassadors for the sport.
    cherrs joe
    Speaking from personal experience, All the shows I've taken part in up north or one the top pro guys have taken part in have been very well run, be in EFR, Spartan, Ultimate conflict of cage wars.
    All have had very good crowds who appreciate the crowds, even more so than some of the crowds in the republic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭_oveless

The only reason there would be red flags if they didn't listen to the experienced voices of the Irish mma circuit, which they seem to have. Overall it sounds like a good premise to grab attention, and a feather in the cap of whoever wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭crosstrainer1

mma is a sport not a matial art it is an avenue to express your martial arts training all knowledge is self knowledge so if the guy is a kickboxing coach ay least he has done his time in his choosen art

Maybe back in the day one art is enough. Having just kickboxing these days just means your going to be taken down

Hi Guys!!! hope you are all well.

Applications are now coming in for the main contest, so thanks to all the clubs who have put fighters forward.

We still have some space on the under card to fill, so if anyone has fighters available let us know the details asap

Thanks

john

www.fight.ie
    info@fight.ie

MMA_v7_3.jpg

Hi Guys

We need 1 person to fill the main 8 man contest and we have a couple of spaces on the undercard to fill. Also we need a match for 95kg class B

Could anyone interested let us know

Cheers

John

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Martin Walker

any sign of a fight card yet?

any sign of a fight card yet?

Fight card should be finished early next week!!! Will you be putting any fighters forward for the contest or undercard? We have had a good response and alot of help from the lads in the south but very little from the north. Could do with a few local fighters!!!

• Advertisement

MMA is a sport not a martial art it is an avenue to express your martial arts training all knowledge is self knowledge so if the guy is a kickboxing coach ay least he has done his time in his choosen art

Mixed Martial Arts. MMA is far from this now, Fighters like GSP have revolutionised MMA because they don't train in one discipline, They train in a lot of different disciplines.

fightie wrote: »
    Fight card should be finished early next week!!! Will you be putting any fighters forward for the contest or undercard? We have had a good response and alot of help from the lads in the south but very little from the north. Could do with a few local fighters!!!

Not this time. Many of our fighters are on holidays in the next few weeks so we are looking after the newbies for the summer. Next time perhaps.

Good afternoon,

As promised we are now proud to announce the Cage Contender 2009 line up:

Each of the fighters is between 70-80kg and the tournament will take place over 1 night. With 8 Fighters appearing in the first round, the winner of each of the 4 bouts will fight in the Semi-Finals with the winning 2 participants fighting in the Cage Contender Final.

Each fight will be 3 x 3min rounds and the referee in charge of the action will be Mr Grant Waterman.

THE FIGHT CARD

Fight Card: (All Fighters 70-80kg)

Lee Doski
    Tsunami Gym
    Reading, England

(12-14-0)

http://www.mmauniverse.com/fighters/SS856

Nigel Whitear
    FX3
    Reading, England

(7-15-0)

http://www.mmauniverse.com/fighters/SS10669

Kevin Moran
    Point Blank
    Galway, Ireland

(2-0-0)

http://www.mmauniverse.com/fighters/SS33882

Barry Oglesby
    Informed Performance
    Dublin, Ireland

(0-1-0)

http://www.mmauniverse.com/fighters/SS28691

Yasubey Enomoto
    Enomoto Gym
    Zurich, Switzerland

(3-1-0)

http://www.mmauniverse.com/fighters/SS26056

Junior Barata
    Europe Top Team
    Geneva, Switzerland

(5-2-1)

http://www.mmauniverse.com/fighters/SS10938

Chris Galagher
    Strabane Fight Team
    Strabane, Ireland

(2-2-0)

No Online Profile

Andy Walsh
    Next Gen MMA
    Liverpool, England

(0-0-0) (MuayThai 29-1-0)

No Online Profile

Tickets are still available to purchase from ticketmaster:

http://www.ticketmaster.ie/event/180042ABCBEF4CB5?artistid=993010&majorcatid=10004&minorcatid=742

Undercard will be released within the next 24-48 hours, any questions email us at info@fight.ie

THE UNDER CARD

Graham Ochiltree (0-0-0)
    ICTA Newcastle

VS

Steve McCann (0-1-0)
    Rush Fight Academy

Aaran Devlin (0-1-0)
    Strabane Fight Team

VS

Alan Kerslake (2-3-0)
    Rush Fight Academy

Paul Delany
    Point Blank Galway

VS

Steven Finlan
    Informed Performance

Paddy McColgan
    Strabane Fight Team

VS

Bernard O Connell
    Point Blank Galway

Lucas Globinski (0-0-0)
    ICTA Newcastle

VS

Brian McGillan (0-0-0)
    Omagh Fight Team

Amanda English
    Informed Performance

VS

TBA

Matty Hyndes (0-0-0)
    ICTA Newcastle

VS

Paul O Brien (0-0-0)
    Downpatrick Fight Team

Ronnie Brennan (0-0-0)
    Strabane Fight Team

VS

TBA

Change of judge!!!!
    Unfortuneatly Alex Owen will not be able to come to Downpatrick on the 22nd of August as agreed.

He will be replaced by David Jones from Next Generation Ireland. We would like to thank David for his help in this matter

Cheers

John

Hi Guys

Tickets for Cage Contender are now almost sold out we have held back about 30 cageside tickets and 40 general tickets. If any clubs require tickets can they contact us asap.

cheers

John

James Fear will not be able to make it to the event as planned. He will be replaced by Peter Lavery (kyoujin). We would like to thank peter for his help in this matter.

John

What are the classes and weights for the fights on the undercard?

Hi Guys

we have had a few pullouts from the undercard.

We now need: 1 x 84kgs
    1 x 70kgs
    1 x 56kgs
    These are all class c fights

could any clubs able to help let me know

Cheers

John

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dendog1

cherrs joe
    hi, comming from roughly this area, i would like to know wat bad publicity u are talking about. i have only ever seen good stuff about local mma fighters written in the press n talked about on forums etc, with alot of good up an comming fighters from reputable clubs ie dog pound, elite, chum sut, competing in good shows like ultimate conflict,cage wars, etc its comment like that( if not backed up, u understand) which damage to the reputation of local mma and cause unnessary politics, hope you can justify or clarify your comment as if you cant it jus sounds like you have a personal grudge, looking foward to your reply.

Advertisement