Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cage Contender....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

2 Min rounds! not great for mma in fairness..
    the minute it hits the ground it would easy to spoil for a 2 mins to let the round end..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Why are they saying a one night tournament has never been done before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Drunkmonkey79

Dragan wrote: »
    Why are they saying a one night tournament has never been done before?

Has there been a dedicated tournament in Ireland before? I can't recall any, i've seen smaller 2 fight tournaments mixed in with a normal card but never a whole elimination tournament in one night.
    I know there was one scheduled about a year or so ago but had the plug pulled at the last min.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Interesting that they are going for random drug testing. Wonder how thats gonna work out.

2 minute rounds are going to favour strikers heavily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Jason Mc

never heard of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭mcdermott

I was snooping around ticket master and noticed it.

didnt hear anything about it anywhere else. interesting to see who they have fighting if no one knows about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

dunkamania wrote: »
    Interesting that they are going for random drug testing. Wonder how thats gonna work out.

It's costly for a start.

As for the tournament thing, their wording is "a unique concept never before seen in the sport" implies the entire sport. No?

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Martin Walker

Ive heard of this. Got a call from a fella looking to Rent my cage for an 8 man tourney.
    From my understanding when talking to the bloke that thinks hes gonna run this everyone gets paid £100 no matter how far they go except the winner of the tourney. And then i think its only £1000. Good luck with that:rolleyes:
    Im really not sure about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭mcdermott

Ive heard of this.
    From my understanding when talking to the bloke that thinks hes gonna run this no-one gets paid except the winner of the tourney. And then i think its only £1000. Good luck with that:rolleyes:

non runner then? lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Karatekrazy

if the rounds are only 2 mins are the fights considered pro bouts?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

Sounds a bit odd. Aren't the BMMAA fairly well regarded?

They seem to have all their ducks in a row re: medical concerns, drug tests etc. But are they maybe doing a Field of Dreams on it- if you build it they will come? Because I hear about pretty much evey show and I've never heard of this one. On another note I'd do an 8 man tourney if there was only 2 minutes per round. Concievably you could be 1k richer in 18 minutes assuming you win by decision in all your contests. That's only 3 minutes more than fighting one pro fight!

Getting to the final and only getting 100 bills would suck though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭_oveless

I think it's the open weight factor of their tourney that they're selling as unique here. Also a 900 disparity in pay is pretty good way to set the champ from the runner up IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

_oveless wrote: »
    I think it's the open weight factor of their tourney that they're selling as unique here. Also a 900 disparity in pay is pretty good way to set the champ from the runner up IMO.

Open weight has been done before also :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭John Ferguson

Hi guys,

We are only now starting to approach clubs to get fighters for this event, we didn't want to go to anyone with a half arsed proposal. Im available to answer any questions you have regarding this event at info@fight.ie

We are currently seeking applications from fighters for this contest, if anybody is interested please see details at www.fight.ie

There were a few questions regarding the unique concept: A 20kg open weighted tournament, taking place over 1 night with 3 seperate fights in one night hasn't been done before, if anyone wants to show me a previous contest with this exact criteria ill eat my groin guard.

Thanks

fightie wrote: »
    A 20kg open weighted tournament

Not sure what this means :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Karatekrazy

would u consider doing it from 60kg to 80kg? the lighter fighter talent pool in Ireland is a lot lot better!

hi sorry, the 20kg open weight means that anybody who weighs between 70-90kg may enter.

with regards to 60-80kg, our next tournament will be at a different weight level which will be decieded post this event.

Hi guys,

we have listened to what the trainers and fighters have told us and on the advice of the masses we have changed the weight range for this competition to 70-80kg. we have also increased rounds from 3x2 min rounds to 3 x 3 min rounds.

we are still seeking applications for fighters in this weight range and also any fighters wishing to fight on the undercard in a semi-pro or professional contest.

please see updated documents at www.fight.ie

we are offering £100 for getting into the cage (+ share of tickets sold) and £1000 for the winner. people also have the oppourtunity to make an extra £100 per fight if they win that fight by knockout.

again, any questions regarding this please feel free to email me: info@fight.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 MMAgic

I dont know about what anyone else thinks, but i dont think this is a "new breed" in fighting. Exactly the opposite in my opinion, this is bringing it back to the old days and not moving forward. I for one think that this event is only going to hurt the reputation of MMA in the local community. Opinions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

MMAgic wrote: »
    I dont know about what anyone else thinks, but i dont think this is a "new breed" in fighting. Exactly the opposite in my opinion, this is bringing it back to the old days and not moving forward. I for one think that this event is only going to hurt the reputation of MMA in the local community. Opinions?

It would depend on who was running it and was fighter safety the no.1 concern, if the fighters where all similar levels it might not be too bad, but if there was mismatches the weight differences would make a huge difference..Does the promoter know irish mma fighters so they dont mismatch?

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 AP75

I think that this event may destroy the good reputation that MMA has got in ireland at the moment. Whereby alot of clubs have put time and effort to enhance this reputation by putting on quality shows, whereby the weigh ins are video and all health and safety rules are adhered by.

70-80k is a big weight difference for any fighter fighting at the lighter weight. Any top fighter in Ireland fighting at 70k in my opinion would not enter this tournament as they would not give away 10k in weight. Of course you will get any amount at 80k enetring. This may entise fighters will little or no MMA experience into battle with eachother. Somebody could get seriously injured.

The promoter should make the competition be a the one weight either batam, lightweight etc.., for the safety and reputation of MMA in ireland

The above is my opinion, alot of people may agree or disagree, hopefully the former.

Not sure if you have a valid point, if 70 kg fighters are going to avoid the event because of weight disadvantages, than you dont really have weight mismatches.

My concern is with the 2 minute rounds. Very difficult to take someone down and submit them in 2 minutes. The rules heavily favour strikers.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭weemate

If possible could the promoter post the list of officials who will be present at the event?Im assuming if it was an officially sanctioned event by BAMMA the officials would have a solid background in MMA competition and experienced in judging and or reffing?
    Im not dismissing the event as there may well be changes to the weight limits etc and I do like the old tournament style events but as pointed out,fighter safety is paramount.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Martin Walker

I E-Mailed the promoters to ask a few questions i wanted answered.
    This is who the promotion agency are www.crew.ie
    They told me officials are not confirmed yet.
    The Medical team will be BMA registered. The BMA are against MMA. Anyone who seen the show on BBC NI a few months ago will know this.
    They have no experience in MMA.

I will not put fighters from our club forward. Dont get me wrong this could be the best show Ireland has ever seen. However it could set us back 5 years. Ill wait and see how it goes.
    Im just being cautious and protecting my fighters. I never put fighters into a show if i dont know anyone working at it on a personal level i.e the promoters, officials or attached clubs.

Thanks
    Marty (jnr):cool:

I would assume that all medical teams are registered with the BMA Marty,regardless of how individual members feel about mma or any contact sport........Im even sure that Wacky is registered..or at least I hope he is!!!
    Seriously though,Im reluctant myself to put anyone forward until Im sure about the officials etc.If you recall there was the same debate going on on the fighttalk website on the same issue way before this tournament was advertised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Drunkmonkey79

dunkamania wrote: »
    My concern is with the 2 minute rounds. Very difficult to take someone down and submit them in 2 minutes. The rules heavily favour strikers.
    They've changed it to 3x3 min rounds.

we have now posted the information you have requested on the fight.ie website, here is a direct link:

http://www.fight.ie/docs/CC_Update030609.pdf

weemate wrote: »
    If possible could the promoter post the list of officials who will be present at the event?Im assuming if it was an officially sanctioned event by BAMMA the officials would have a solid background in MMA competition and experienced in judging and or reffing?
    Im not dismissing the event as there may well be changes to the weight limits etc and I do like the old tournament style events but as pointed out,fighter safety is paramount.

You cant argue with that!!
    thanks for the info sir.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭crosstrainer1

ive watched a few mma matches in my time and ive seen and talked to fighters who have given it their all for a plastic trophy and a pat on the back. cage contender 100 qiud in and the chance to make it £1100 plus a chance to be the best pound for pound fighter in the country i say cage contender why not

Advertisement