Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ubuntu causing lots and lots of problems

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

I've been looking at Mint 7 in Virtualbox, another awesome impressive release, it looks great and the menus and package management are greatly improved.

Mint is definitely a step ahead of Ubuntu in terms of ease of use - but I think the only reason Ubuntu don't ship with codecs is some legal ficiton they have to maintain.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

yes, i believe so. i think it's to do with the fact that for ubuntu to remain 100% free and totally legal with no grey areas things like codecs and restricted drivers etc. have to be disabled by default, leaving the onus on the user to re-enable them.

mint seems to take a much more free and easy approach to the whole thing though and whilst it may not be 100% above board it's nothing ubuntu users wouldn't re-enable themselves anyway 5 minutes after installing it.

by throwing everything in that most users would want to set up, they save us a lot of time ourselves and i know a lot of the geekier *nix guys like nothing better than manually tweaking configs in the terminal, but i think the majority of us ex-windows heads just like things to work out of the box whenever possible. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

vibe666 wrote: »
    by throwing everything in that most users would want to set up, they save us a lot of time ourselves and i know a lot of the geekier *nix guys like nothing better than manually tweaking configs in the terminal, but i think the majority of us ex-windows heads just like things to work out of the box whenever possible. :)

I think this is a myth.
    Yes they are comfortable and have no fear of doing such things, but from what I have read, most like it when things work out of box, just like the rest of us. ;)

Personally I have serious problems with the way Ubuntu is portrayed as 'new user friendly', yet whenever there is a small problem the first thing posted to fix it is some CLi command or other, which gives a completely false picture of what modern Linux is like.
    Other distros have GUIs for most things, even Mint which is Ubuntu based, and to that add Mandriva, Mepis, PCLinuxOS etc.

It seems to me that 'big bucks' is winning out again while not giving what most desire .... GUI tools for most everything.

I would never recommend Ubuntu to a new user moving from Windows. I believe Mint, Mepis and PCLOS are much more suitable for the task.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭corkie

yet whenever there is a small problem the first thing posted to fix it is some CLi command or other, which gives a completely false picture of what modern Linux is like.

The reason why most techie's or experienced linux users will give helpful instructions to fix things with CLI commands, is because it can be quicker and easier to type up instructions that way.

Than having to give instructions for navigating through a set of GUI instructions.

Regards,
    J.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Not only that, it can be copied and pasted to ensure you are doing it exactly right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Blowfish wrote: »
    Not only that, it can be copied and pasted to ensure you are doing it exactly right.
    yes, but i think that can put a lot of people off, if they think they're going to have to get their hands dirty. i know it's just a bit of copy and paste, but it's not exactly conducive to learning new things. (i already know how to copy/paste:)).

2 years full time at home with linux and it's still the case that every time something goes wrong i have to google it and end up copy/pasting something in the terminal to fix it and am still none the wiser to what I've done when i'm finished. :(

by comparison, approx. 2 years ago my (wintel server support) job changed slightly to include a lot of exchange admin and backup stuff which i didn't have much experience of at all at the time and i had to learn most of that on my own in a similar sort of way and i'm an old pro at both now. :)

i think it might just be, that despite my best intentions i'm a windows head whether i like it or not. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

corkie wrote: »
    The reason why most techie's or experienced linux users will give helpful instructions to fix things with CLI commands, is because it can be quicker and easier to type up instructions that way.

Than having to give instructions for navigating through a set of GUI instructions.

Regards,
    J.

You missed the main point of my post ........ for a new exWin user HAVING TO (as it appears to them) use a text console shows them that Linux is so far behind that they may promptly dump it.
    The majority of those new users expect to be able to make changes through GUI.
    Even if it is a very simple GUI like Zenity or such, that is what they want. Yes they may comment on the bad looking zenity boxes and prompts and complain about it not being a 'proper' GUI, but they can use it, remember it, and use it again later if required.

The impression given by all the command-line instructions to new users is that Linux is still lacking proper GUI tools. Impressions count, particularly in the first days of use.

That is why I recommend other distro, as mentioned, to new users -- it shows them a familiar environment where things CAN be done with GUI, and if they then wish they can learn that it is much quicker/better (if I dare :) ) to do most things from command line.
    For best experience most new converts IMO should get the opportunity to use a distro with a good GUI control centre ... comparable to Win Control Panel.
    Which distro they choose afterwards is immaterial ... its all Linux. :)

regards.

Haven't got a chance to look deeply into the documentation, but if people want to get familiar with ubuntu. This course material might be of benefit.

Click here for more info

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Total noob to this, did a live cd with Knoppix, it went without a hitch. Just faffing around with it. found it very easy. Just downloaded Mint 7, so will give it a try out. Would any of the above need an antivirus program? firewall?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

mad m wrote: »
    Total noob to this, did a live cd with Knoppix, it went without a hitch. Just faffing around with it. found it very easy. Just downloaded Mint 7, so will give it a try out. Would any of the above need an antivirus program? firewall?
    Nope. :)

They'll have netfilter/iptables by default. If you want a GUI to make life easier configuring it, you can install something like firestarter.

• Advertisement

mad m wrote: »

Mint 7 / Ubuntu should have "ufw" installed by default, install "gufw" for gui.
    No need for antivirus in Linux, unless your sharing files with window's users.

Regards,
    J.

Advertisement