Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three / 3 network

Options
  • 18-05-2009 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi,

I am looking at switching from o2 to 3 network. I am on bill pay and see can get better package for less on 3. I do not know anyone on 3 netwrok so just looking to see if anyone has had any good / bad dealings with them and their service.

I mostly use my phone for texting and calls, no fancy stuff.

Phone will be mostly used in South meath / North Dublin urban areas, however am interested to know what roaming is like.

Any info advise would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Their customer service is beyond the worst I have ever experienced.

The network itself is good, they are cheap.

I don't know if it still happens, they had a good habit of when you texted someone while either (or both) of you were roaming, the receiver would normally get the same text multiple times until one of you were home. This happened to me many times over 3 years in several different countries. 3 would insist it was every other network...

They have many annoying issues like that which seem unresolvable, at least they were unwilling to resolve them. For general usage in Ireland, they have no real problems though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

paulm17781 wrote: »
    I don't know if it still happens, they had a good habit of when you texted someone while either (or both) of you were roaming, the receiver would normally get the same text multiple times until one of you were home. This happened to me many times over 3 years in several different countries. 3 would insist it was every other network...

Happened to my friend in March anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Ive been with them pretty much since they 1st setup in ireland.
    Customer service is terrible but ive only had to deal with them about 4/5 times in 3 1/2 years or so.
    Coverage is pretty good, no EDGE network so interwebs dont work in some areas but it piggy backs on vodafones I think so you can still get calls/texts.
    Cheap aswell and phone selection isnt bad really. Im pretty happy overall :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Op if your just using basic calls and texts you should be ok regards customer service. The customer service does have a bad reputation as already mentioned. If you are making a considerable saving then it would be worth switching.

Their roaming can be hit and miss. The multiple texts can be very annoying. They have a '3 like home' service where you can use your minutes on there foreign 3 network for the same rate as at home. Its country dependent, see more on it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Their customer service got a bad rep because 3 are a more data-oriented service than typical call and text users on other networks. I've experienced this myself as the CS are generally clueless technically however for billing and non-technical issues I find them just as good as anyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Here's why I wouldn't pick 3 as much as their plans attract me lately
    • Their constantly poor performing customer care. I've had numerous problems with basic things such as them simple understanding me.
    • My belief (and also backed by experience) that they are unable to solve technical issues relating to my account without numerous calls and wasted time.
    • If someone texts you while you're abroad you'll get the text over and over and over, randomly (No, this isn't fixed - I witnessed it in Feb most recently)
    • Their lack of roaming abilities abroad

All in all though - their customer care still remains the major reason why I'm not their customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Random wrote: »
    Here's why I wouldn't pick 3 as much as their plans attract me lately
    • Their constantly poor performing customer care. I've had numerous problems with basic things such as them simple understanding me.
    • My belief (and also backed by experience) that they are unable to solve technical issues relating to my account without numerous calls and wasted time.
    • If someone texts you while you're abroad you'll get the text over and over and over, randomly (No, this isn't fixed - I witnessed it in Feb most recently)
    • Their lack of roaming abilities abroad

All in all though - their customer care still remains the major reason why I'm not their customer.

I have some insight to their technical issues (no, I know no one working for 3, nor do I work for them myself, I know people elsewhere in a similar industry).

Basically they don't have a network in Ireland, nor have they any plans to install one properly. Ireland is a test bed for future European expansion. The test is to piggy back onto Irish networks (Vodafone, O2 & meteor) and use existing switches in the UK to run an entire business.

The random texts, roaming and other issues (data issues are something I've seen myself time & time again) are because you're not connected to an Irish switch at any point, you're connected to a switch in the UK.

They're running a lowest-common-denominator business plan in Ireland, and only Ireland so far. Vodafone, O2 & Meteor are all pretty much praying to God that 3 don't do well over here because it ruins any real investment in the countries mobile infrastructure (at a time when mobile broadband over 3G is starting to take off seriously).

Their customer service isn't run by 3 either. It's outsourced to a company that runs a pile of other customer service lines for UK based companies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Basically they don't have a network in Ireland, nor have they any plans to install one properly. Ireland is a test bed for future European expansion. The test is to piggy back onto Irish networks (Vodafone, O2 & meteor) and use existing switches in the UK to run an entire business.

I'm pretty certain you're mistaken. They have their own 3G network, as part of their license agreement, they had to have their own network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

they're alright as long as you don't have to deal with their customer service. although i don't like their price hike all the cool kids like vodafone and Ohtue seem to be pushing up the prices so 3 probably feel they need to as well. thats what happens when you're in a cozy cartel after all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

I have some insight to their technical issues (no, I know no one working for 3, nor do I work for them myself, I know people elsewhere in a similar industry).

The random texts, roaming and other issues (data issues are something I've seen myself time & time again) are because you're not connected to an Irish switch at any point, you're connected to a switch in the UK.

They're running a lowest-common-denominator business plan in Ireland, and only Ireland so far. Vodafone, O2 & Meteor are all pretty much praying to God that 3 don't do well over here because it ruins any real investment in the countries mobile infrastructure (at a time when mobile broadband over 3G is starting to take off seriously).

Their customer service isn't run by 3 either. It's outsourced to a company that runs a pile of other customer service lines for UK based companies.

You are 100% incorrect on what you have posted about their network and customer care. 3 have their own 3g network and a roaming agreement with Vodafone where they do not yet have their own 3g coverage. Their customer care are employee directly by 3Ireland in Mumbai and is not an out sourced company working on behalf of 3. I have been with 3 since they launched with no major problems. Roaming has never been a problem for me although the website does need to be updated. I was in France last week due to work, according to their website I could not receive texts or go onto the internet on my phone both of which I could do. They do need to extend the countries in which you can roam both on bill pay and especially 3pay.

• Advertisement

Walkman wrote: »
    I was in France last week due to work
    hmmm, I wonder why 3 would be sending you to France :pac:
    or go onto the internet on my phone both of which I could do.

How much did that cost you or was it taken out of your bundle?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭DUBISAK

so is 3g and the 3 network the same thing? I thought 3 was the name of the company (like vodafone) and 3g is just a tool or device (like wifi) that allows for speedy data interchange? Do O2 and vodafone not offer 3g services?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

DUBISAK wrote: »
    so is 3g and the 3 network the same thing? I thought 3 was the name of the company (like vodafone) and 3g is just a tool or device (like wifi) that allows for speedy data interchange? Do O2 and vodafone not offer 3g services?
    3G is the network type.
    3 only deal with 3G technology so they named themselves 3 after it

3G is the network type.
    3 only deal with 3G technology so they named themselves 3 after it

Incorrect. 3 is branded as 3 as the symbol has universal recognition and the word 'three' is pronounced nearly the same how every language. In Hong Kong 3 also have a 2g network. @Sam, no the data was not cheap in France I wont be using it again.

DUBISAK wrote: »

3 is the name of the network. 3G is the technology they use. All other networks have this technology except for Tesco.

@Sam, no the data was not cheap in France I wont be using it again.

How much was it do you know? They don't even have any pricing for it do they, since it's not supposed to work at all?

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    How much was it do you know? They don't even have any pricing for it do they, since it's not supposed to work at all?

Its on their site. Go to another EU country and check the data roaming price. Its the same as that. Cost me 90. If I find exact price ill post back.

Its on their site. Go to another EU country and check the data roaming price. Its the same as that. Cost me 90. If I find exact price ill post back.

Found it :)

Data Roaming - other countries
    Now you can travel to an even greater number of countries and use your 3 Phone and 3 Broadband
    while there.
    Band 1 €4.00
    Price Band Rate per MB
    Band 2 €5.00
    Band 3 €7.00

Band 1: Belgium, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Spain, Norway*
    Band 2: Israel*, Japan*, Puerto Rico, South Africa*, Taiwan*, Thailand, Turkey*, USA, US Virgin Islands
    Band 3: Other countries

* Data roaming in these countries is only available to Pay Monthly customers

Pricey indeed

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Band 1 €4.00

Band 1: Belgium, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Spain, Norway*

Pricey indeed

I think for Europe the cap is set at €1 per MB wholesale rate, so hopefully this should drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

lol. Its like you know exactly how it works and wrote the opposite is this a level?

On top of everything others have said they're favs to get the new 900mhz license which should ease a few of their network problems when it switches from 3g to Vodafone. I was at the golf last week and they did a dam good job there and from the improvements I have seen with my modem it sure looks like things are moving in the right direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 RexBanner

Hi Folks,

I've been lurking around the boards for a long time but this topic inspired me to register.

I had the misfortune of buying a 3 phone in January and have had nothing but problems since. In the middle of February they sent me two new phone that I did not order and set-up two direct debits on my account. Canceled the DDs straight away and eventually got them to cancel one account but they are refusing to cancel the other. Looking like next step is to go to Comreg.

Would echo everything said above about the Customer Service department. Absolutely useless, probably not the staff's fault just the scripts they were provided with by 3.

Maybe I was just unlucky but my advise would be to avoid them like the plague.

jimmii wrote: »
    lol. Its like you know exactly how it works and wrote the opposite is this a level?

On top of everything others have said they're favs to get the new 900mhz license which should ease a few of their network problems when it switches from 3g to Vodafone. I was at the golf last week and they did a dam good job there and from the improvements I have seen with my modem it sure looks like things are moving in the right direction.

Im not very tech but what does the 900mhz mean (I know its a frequency band), and what will it do for them.

jimmii wrote: »
    others have said they're favs to get the new 900mhz license

Who is saying this? I didnt think the 900 or 1800 bands were even out for tender yet

Davy wrote: »
    Who is saying this? I didnt think the 900 or 1800 bands were even out for tender yet

Maybe we dont actually know as much as we all think we do posting here (me included) :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

RexBanner wrote: »

I've been lurking around the boards .

I had the misfortune of buying a 3 phone in January

In the middle of February they sent me two new phone that I did not order and set-up two direct debits on my account.

howa'ya, rexbanner, welcome to boards..

Can I just ask, how did you end up in that mess?, 3 can't set up a direct debit unless you give them your details...

Only time I've ever heard of something similar is someone already with an account been offerd a free phone (with another account) and saying yes...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Davy wrote: »

Fair few stories

all bought online or over the phone.
    there's a lot to be said for going to a shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I was with o2 for 7 years until I switched at christmas and it is the worst thing I ever did. They are cheap but their customer service consists of an chinese woman on the end of a phone. The only reason im staying is that I have a 3 branded phone. You pay for what you get.

They're indian ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

They're indian incapable of saying anything beyond what's on the script ;)

FYP

Advertisement