Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PPP sack the Big C

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

"I shalln't associate..."
    Nice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

Conbro wrote: »
    Can't say I'm too fond of the guy to be honest. His nauseating, attention seeking commentary of the IO last year was pretty difficult to endure, stage Irishness at its stomach churning best. Choosing a nickname thats a euphanism for cancer I also find to be distasteful. Probably a good decision by PPP as Im sure Im not the only person he has deterred from their brand.

I don't know Ciaran but from what I remember reading on PPP it was people in America who couldn't pronounce his name that gave him this nickname. You can't do much about the nickname you're given unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

Don't think I've met anyone in poker more approachable and laid back than Ciaran. From what I know of him I like him a lot.

I would say this is a bad move on PPP's part. To me he seems like the ideal ambassador for them, but I'd imagine there is more to it than a simple case of PPP just deciding to not renew his contract.

There is always more to the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

lol @ the idea that it is the economic recession as quoted in the article why things have been discontinued. PP are actually growing their profits and even expanding into Australia at the moment. Not a bad recession for them!

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601081&sid=afzmafgveatA&refer=australia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭HIVeindhoven

I doubt sponsoring players is +EV for many poker sites tbh. Dont see what they get out of it, who a site sponsors isnt even on my radar when considering whether to deposit. I doubt its on the radar of anyone who isnt a complete retard.
    Most sponsorship deals from what i can see involve site owners staking their degen buddies into Donkaments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭YULETIRED

he won a bracelet got a deal, he hasn't done much since, they are a poker site, you need to back winners, your brand needs to be associated with winners. It's quite normal if you show no real form you can't expect to be picked, any monies should be redirected to current next best thing, that's how it works in general. Likeable chap but busines is business

good luck to him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

I doubt sponsoring players is +EV for many poker sites tbh. Dont see what they get out of it, who a site sponsors isnt even on my radar when considering whether to deposit. I doubt its on the radar of anyone who isnt a complete retard.
    Most sponsorship deals from what i can see involve site owners staking their degen buddies into Donkaments.

true in most cases but not always, a good example is Marty Smyth. He has massively increase the profile of Boyles. Also Full-Tilt have made massive use of there pro's.

I do believe having loads of online qualifiers at events and wearing your brand is just as good. I've been asked about different site names at loads of events and always notice one I've not seen before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Jayminator

jbravado wrote: »
    To be fair he seems a very genuine and approachable guy who represented Paddy Power well.

Leave BCB outta this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭kennyrsb

his soul patch is crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭SpencerJames

I dont usually feel the urge to get into these thread where people are talking about things the havent a scoobies about. BUt this time, considering how strongly I feel on the issue I have to get involved.

Ciaran is a top guy. Anyone here that is giving out about him clearly doesnt know the man. its important to remember its his job to get tv time and be a public figure of Irish poker.

Its also to remember that this deal was the first one of its size and scale in irish poker. It was always going to be a trial period. PP obv just feel that the juice wasnt worth the squeeze and didnt reknew his contract. Its a business after all. Im sure PP would be the first to say what a great job Ciaran did.

On a personal level, he has been nothing but great to me. Offering advice and encouragement. A great guy to go for a few beers with and has no problem giving his time to anyone.

GL to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Donkathon

watch he'll make the final table in this years wsop and then pp will be sick, they should have waited till after the wsop imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

YULETIRED wrote: »
    he won a bracelet got a deal, he hasn't done much since, they are a poker site, you need to back winners, your brand needs to be associated with winners. It's quite normal if you show no real form you can't expect to be picked, any monies should be redirected to current next best thing, that's how it works in general. Likeable chap but busines is business

good luck to him

The guy made a final table of the Poker Million, finishing 3rd for 175K which was televised on sky sports. You can probably count the number of Irish players with bigger live cashes than this in the last year on one hand. Not sure what more PPP could want considering they didn't wait for the WSOP.

Just to add, of all the Irish poker sites, PPP are the ones with least to gain from sponsorship, given the already huge brand awareness and especially given the huge amount of free airtime and free press they get. (I know a lot of that is in relation to retarded novelty bets (Stuff like PP offering 500/1 on Bono to be next Pope. "Insert cheesy wisecrack from Paddy Power here" Ho.Ho.) as opp0sed to Poker but it all helps keep PPP to the fore in punters minds.

NickyOD wrote: »
    The guy made a final table of the Poker Million, finishing 3rd for 175K which was televised on sky sports. You can probably count the number of Irish players with bigger live cashes than this in the last year on one hand. Not sure what more PPP could want considering they didn't wait for the WSOP.

I'm not sure many people care about this kind of thing anymore. Most peoples interest in a tourney begins and ends with their involvement in it.(or maybe freinds and aquaintances also) There is so many tourneys on TV and far greater awareness of the variance involved, I dont think random Punters assign much significance to a guy finishing 3rd in an event like that. I play quite a few tourneys online, used to play live and read this forum most days.I have watched all of HSP. However the only EPT winner i could name from the last two years is Fintan Gavin (purely because of this forum) and i have no idea of the name of the guy who won the irish open this year. I just dont care and i suspect its the same for a lot of players.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭BigCityBanker

i had a big long reply written out and my browser crashed :( instead of writing it out again I will summarise.

Ciaran is as genuine a person and as proud an Irishman as you will meet on your travels. Anybody who thinks otherwise simply just is not a good judge of a person or their character. I can share stories much like Rory and Chubs above about just how nice a guy he is.

Our parting was amicable, there was no row, nothing sinister and there certainly isnt any more to it as somebody suggested above in the thread. The PPP staff would be the first to count him as a friend and wish him well done on his fiture achievements.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,213 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

So?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

I'm not sure many people care about this kind of thing anymore. Most peoples interest in a tourney begins and ends with their involvement in it.(or maybe freinds and aquaintances also) There is so many tourneys on TV and far greater awareness of the variance involved, I dont think random Punters assign much significance to a guy finishing 3rd in an event like that. I play quite a few tourneys online, used to play live and read this forum most days.I have watched all of HSP. However the only EPT winner i could name from the last two years is Fintan Gavin (purely because of this forum) and i have no idea of the name of the guy who won the irish open this year. I just dont care and i suspect its the same for a lot of players.

Fintan didn't win a EPT, he finish 2nd. Just to prove your point more.

Also most of the advertisement people want from a sponsor player is not for the Irish market, mostly for UK and Europe. Brand awareness there is very weak for most Irish companies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

the only EPT winner i could name from the last two years is Fintan Gavin (purely because of this forum)

Fintan finished 2nd.

I'm pretty sure sponsorship deals with players is mostly about brand awareness and if there's one site who probably don't 'need' a sponsored player it's Paddypower.
    From my perspective he did very well for them,never missing an opportunity for tv time,commentating and also an excellent result in the poker million.

Good luck to him.

just to add , i wasnt jumping on the "Big C" bashing bandwagon, just musing on the EV of sponsorship for the sponsor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭nicnicnic

top bloke, ppp loss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Whyno

Big C is a sound man. Always had time to talk to anyone who wanted to listen to him :D
    We`ll hear lots more of him but in this age its not suprising hes been dropped by PPP. In fairness PP is more worried bout the IO and lining their own pockets that giving money away.
    I reckon its PP loss and whoever (bs) pick him up cos i reckon hes a worthwhile guy to front a pokerroom. Gift of the gab an all that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

Am I the only cashgame player who finds all this donkaments stuff impossible to take seriously? I haven't a bloody clue who any of these alleged donkament zuperstars are. I feel like such an outsider (yeah baby!). I obviously need to spend less time staring at my bloody PokerStove and more, I dunno, buying sunglasses or something.

But I'm just kidding really. Boards.ie Poker is so donkamentcentric it's a great place to come to unwind and just get the hell away from poker. It's good to get away now and then and just think about lighter, funner stuff. Tx for that lads!

NickyOD wrote: »
    You can probably count the number of Irish players with bigger live cashes than this in the last year on one hand.

You could use up the thumb and index finger with the 2 players who finished ahead of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Jayminator

IPP obv just feel that the juice wasnt worth the squeeze .

So cliched for one so young is our DJ Rory B...

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭lillou

Ciaran is a great guy and I'm sure he'll be picked up by someone else soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭karpov33

he ia a very popular guy ppp might just want a new face

Advertisement