Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Boards Cool Wall.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

Biro wrote: »
    Really? You'd only pull a pompus old geezer who worked on the production line. Fair enough if you like that kind of thing. I prefer girls myself. No girl I ever met uttered the words "you know what's cool? A bristol!".

I think you will find that a Jag XJ or a S-Class Merc is an old geezers car.

The fact that most women and most men (even so called car enthusiasts) wouldn't know a Bristol if it ran them over makes them somewhat cool. Also the attention to detail that goes into the design and layout of the cars, also makes them interesting and cool. They do not court the limelight either unlike virtually all other (vain and pretentious) motor manufacturers, that also makes them cool.

A car doesn't have to be a babe magnet to be cool. In reality the person themselves has to be cool and the car merely complements same (and good taste), not tries to compensate for the lack of it. And anyway a classy lady would be far more impressed with a car that is wonderfully understated and reeks of old-money, than any of todays generic supercars driven by the nouveau-riche. Most modern Ferraris, Lambos et al would only impress chavs, ladettes, hairdressers and beauticians.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

Dodge Charger is NOT cool.
    Ford Fiesta is NOT cool.
    NO SKODA is cool.
    Dodge Viper is kinda cool...
    Jag E Type is cool.
    A-Team van is cool.
    Seat Cupra not cool.
    Old Auto Union car is cool.
    Smart car (in that example) NOT cool.
    A-Team VW van is cool. Because it's a VW van of that generation moreso than anything.
    **** Lancia posted by SaabEd NOT cool.
    Mercedes GL not cool, just obscene.
    Ferrari (that an F50?) - eh ya got me, don't like ferrari but it's cool.
    Jag XK8 - ~98-02 generation, don't know why but I guess it's cool. Last of the true british jaguar before Ford dug out the Vaseline...
    BMW 507 cool.

Stratos10.jpg
    Lancia Stratus, group B rally car. Fookin hardcore, seriously cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Is that in Belgard?

Nope. On my road in Lucan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

Cool..... Sub Zero

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

TomMc wrote: »
    I think you will find that a Jag XJ or a S-Class Merc is an old geezers car.

The fact that most women and most men (even so called car enthusiasts) wouldn't know a Bristol if it ran them over makes them somewhat cool. Also the attention to detail that goes into the design and layout of the cars, also makes them interesting and cool. They do not court the limelight either unlike virtually all other (vain and pretentious) motor manufacturers, that also makes them cool.

A car doesn't have to be a babe magnet to be cool. In reality the person themselves has to be cool and the car merely complements same (and good taste), not tries to compensate for the lack of it. And anyway a classy lady would be far more impressed with a car that is wonderfully understated and reeks of old-money, than any of todays generic supercars driven by the nouveau-riche. Most modern Ferraris, Lambos et al would only impress chavs, ladettes, hairdressers and beauticians.
    You see there's the thing. I agree with the principal on why there's appeal to the Bristol. But cool is shallow. Thats why we have to throw away our petrol-headedness when we quantify what's "cool".
    The Bristol is interesting, and cool to a group of people who know what it is. But unfortunately those people are in a subset of a bigger group called "uncool". That's why the Bristol is uncool.

• Advertisement

So by your rationale been well informed or having discernment makes you uncool. Cool only applies to a small section who are somewhat unknowing and superficial.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭Blue850

ei5rmw.jpg

So by your rationale been well informed or having discernment makes you uncool. Cool only applies to a small section who are somewhat unknowing and superficial.

Let me put it another way. Neil Armstrong is cool. He walked on the moon. Mr. Joseph A. Bloggs who re-engineered some weird part of the Saturn rocket in order to make it actually work better so that Neil could go to the moon unfortunately isn't cool. He might be a genious, but cool he isn't.
    James Webb isn't cool. He has a telescope in the making that'll be put into orbit that'll show us new and fantastic things, but that doesn't matter to poor old James's coolness. For some reason Bruce Willis is cool. I don't like Die Hard, I'm not much of a fan of his, but that doesn't make him any less cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,148 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Drummerboy, a Skoda Superb? A 5 door Fiesta?

Man, you've completely lost the plot :p

Lancia_01.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Fiat%20850%20Spider.jpg

Fiat 850 Spyder :cool::cool::cool:

1970_Fiat_Dino_2400_Spider_Red.jpg

Fiat Dino spyder :cool::cool::cool:

I used to own an 850 spyder, same lights as a Miura, mega bucks:rolleyes:

AbarthRohner.jpg

proper small Fiat Abarth

800px-Renault_Alpine_A110_Berlinette_1600_SX.jpg

800px-Renault_Alpine_A110_Berlinette_1600_SX.jpg

Oh yes :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭smokingman

Always thought the Karmen Ghais were one of the coolest ones ever made. That's a sweet one above too!

smokingman wrote: »
    Always thought the Karmen Ghais were one of the coolest ones ever made. That's a sweet one above too!

Thats not a karmen Ghia its a renault Alpine ;)

514925.jpg

Yes, the KG were nice too although the Alpine would leave even a highly tuned one for dead on a back road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭smokingman

Thats not a karmen Ghia its a renault Alpine ;)

Always thought the Alpines were one of the coolest ones ever made. That's a sweet one above too!

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,148 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The Hyena is indeed very cool :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

Yes, actually. That's the whole point behind the cool wall as I see it!
    Case study - the BMW 850ci is an overpowered monster which hasn't a hope in hell of putting the power down properly, even for it's day it was a bit disappointing - but it's still seriously cool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Howitzer

Cool:

maseratigranturismos02.jpg

Not Cool at all: (bring back Corrado instead!)

vwscirocco0520x351.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

unkel wrote: »
    Drummerboy, a Skoda Superb? A 5 door Fiesta?

Man, you've completely lost the plot :p

Hey, i think the Skoda is cool, in an organised, economical way.......:o

The Fiesta? Well, it wasnt one of my finest moments.....

752471405_4f483e84ec.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

steve06 wrote: »
    corvette stingray
    i609720_vette1.jpg
    i609721_vette2.jpg

^^^^^^^^^
    Really cool car :cool::cool::cool:

PHOTO CREDIT= steve06 - HWIST thread
    Hope you don't mind me posting it steve06.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

:rolleyes: Only the previous generation A8 makes the cool wall and thats thanks to its staring role in Ronan ..I dont think the current one cuts it to be cool
    Any proper petrol head should know the correct name for that film! :D
    eoin wrote: »
    Well, that probably assumes that Jeremy Clarkson is cool himself, which I definitely don't!
    Jeremy Clarkson is an absolute legend! :cool:
    Of course he is - I'd sleep with him!
    2-24audi_silver_arrow_recon.jpg
    You pull up to Kirstins house - then you remember that she won't fit in! So you have to go on the date on your own and then back to your bedsit and go it alone!
    Fail!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

i think we can all agree on a few things , the following cars can never be cool no matter what

smart cars
    Merc a-series
    Toyota Yaris
    Renault anything

i think we can all agree on a few things , the following cars can never be cool no matter what

smart cars
    Merc a-series
    Toyota Yaris
    Renault anything

Eh!!!!!! :confused::confused::confused:

renault-avantime-produccion.jpg

and

Renault5.jpg

and

Floride.jpg

but admitedly this is not very cool at all :(

renault_twingo.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

smart cars
    Merc a-series
    Toyota Yaris
    Renault anything

No, I dont think we can agree!

smart, yaris, a class yes ok.

Renault?! No way! Yes they make some awful ****e, but I think the renaultsport meganes and clios are awesome.

I LOVE the megane R26R and the fact that it isnt really a looker makes it cool too. Its ALL about the driving. How can a carbon fibre bonnet, ultra lightweight philosophy, plastic windows, semi slicks and a half roll cage NOT be cool?

Its a focus RS with all the chav dialled out.

renaultsportmeganer26rd.th.jpg

1432621876_01d12dfe49.jpg
    DCP_4450.JPG

They're Renaults, they're cool :cool:

• Advertisement

kbannon wrote: »
    Any proper petrol head should know the correct name for that film! :D

And know that it was an S8, not an A8!

Advertisement