Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it good to set oneself a limit?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 HibsAreIt

6-7 hours hours a day for $100? Sounds like a wee grind tbh.
    Setting yourself that limit could be holding you back realy but if its working for you and you enjoy it GOOOOOD LUCK MAN!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Limit is the wrong word, i'd say target would be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭bantee

wyndham wrote: »
    Limit is the wrong word, i'd say target would be better.

I prefer to play "no target" texas holdem (NTTH) :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭SpencerJames

in fairness, your opening post smacks of someone that hasnt a clue about the game.

Im surprised no one has been honest so far in this thread. Not only is it ludacris to "limit" yourself to $100 a day, its arrogant and shows your inexperience.

While making and setting targets is a good idea, they should only be loosely followed.

You will never be a good winning player if you dont maximise +ev games by winning as many buy ins as you can.

You are almost certain to break even or lose in the long term with this masterplan.

If you must put a limit on something, put a limit on the amount of buy ins you can lose in a day or the hours you play but for god sakes not the amount you can win!

Rethink and im sure you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭bantee

in fairness, your opening post smacks of someone that hasnt a clue about the game.

Im surprised no one has been honest so far in this thread. Not only is it ludacris to "limit" yourself to $100 a day, its arrogant and shows your inexperience.

While making and setting targets is a good idea, they should only be loosely followed.

You will never be a good winning player if you dont maximise +ev games by winning as many buy ins as you can.

You are almost certain to break even or lose in the long term with this masterplan.

If you must put a limit on something, put a limit on the amount of buy ins you can lose in a day or the hours you play but for god sakes not the amount you can win!

Rethink and im sure you'll be fine.

Ya this is true and exactly why he got a good few smart replies (including mine TBH). OP listen to the honest replies like this one and you will be grand.

You will obviously drop a few buyins as you go along and may even go bust at some stage. Read the theory threads on playing cash at the top of the main page and invest in some software to help you as you get more experienced.

I'm a total cash donk so can't add anything in the line of great advice to you.

Good luck at the tables chief :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

bantee wrote: »
    Ya this is true and exactly why he got a good few smart replies (including mine TBH). OP listen to the honest replies like this one and you will be grand.

You will obviously drop a few buyins as you go along and may even go bust at some stage. Read the theory threads on playing cash at the top of the main page and invest in some software to help you as you get more experienced.

I'm a total cash donk so can't add anything in the line of great advice to you.

Good luck at the tables chief :)

your SN would help him alot... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 billysbones

I started to play .10/.20 no limit cash (6 handed) ten days ago. I loaded up with $50 and my aim was to win one full buy in per session. When I achieved this I would end the session and bank it. ie have a break. I quickly built up momemtum and moved up to mutitabling 4 tables. By the tenth day which is today, I have banked $750 and I hope to move up to .25/.50 in a few days. I found this syetem worked well and I hope I have the same success at the next level.[HTML][/HTML]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭robinblinds

I started to play .10/.20 no limit cash (6 handed) ten days ago. I loaded up with $50 and my aim was to win one full buy in per session. When I achieved this I would end the session and bank it. ie have a break. I quickly built up momemtum and moved up to mutitabling 4 tables. By the tenth day which is today, I have banked $750 and I hope to move up to .25/.50 in a few days. I found this syetem worked well and I hope I have the same success at the next level.[HTML][/HTML]

Well done.

If I was you I'd play at least another 40k hands at the level you are playing now though. Then check the graph and move up if its good.

ty rob, that is probably good advice to stay safe, especially when i am enjoying this level where there is little pressure

Well done.

If I was you I'd play at least another 40k hands at the level you are playing now though. Then check the graph and move up if its good.

Just to let you know, against all good advice I went up the blinds and lost everything in one hand of $5/$10(heads up), LOL but I wasnt laughing at the time. Anyhow, no matter how good my game was at the micro level, I ended up getting wiped out by my impatience and greed. If only one had self-control over emotion in dealing with what is a beatable game! Its back to .10/.20 grind for me, where its real !

• Advertisement
Advertisement