Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My puppy ate rat poison this morning..help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

Our puppy (who ended up being killed on the road ages 2 yrs) did this twice - we live in the country and so need to lay rat poison in small pipes at certain times of the year. It was the blocks of 'Storm' she chewed on - there was some caught in her teeth. My mother brought her to the vet and I think she was injected and she recovered fully - never showed any sign of illness even.

She was a gorgeous dog - such a shame some ásshole knocked her down and didnt even stop - she never even chased cars!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jackie.du

00112984 wrote: »
    Most vets (or at least one vet in any small town) operate an out of hours emergency service and this is definitely a scenario where that service should be used. At a minimum, a call should be made to ask for advice.

With anything like poison, once you know that there's even a chance that your pet has gotten near some, you should bring the animal to the vet. Sadly, symptoms like those you described often mean that the poison is working its way through the pet's system and it might be too late. By getting the animal to the doctor immediately, they can prevent a lot of damage and even death.

Hope the pup pulls through.

thank you,i believe he's ok now, just need to stay there for extra few days. i'll learn how to look after him, my wife cryed for the whole night, we only had him for a week, but just felt we can't live without him...

faigs wrote: »
    Our puppy (who ended up being killed on the road ages 2 yrs) did this twice - we live in the country and so need to lay rat poison in small pipes at certain times of the year. It was the blocks of 'Storm' she chewed on - there was some caught in her teeth. My mother brought her to the vet and I think she was injected and she recovered fully - never showed any sign of illness even.

She was a gorgeous dog - such a shame some ásshole knocked her down and didnt even stop - she never even chased cars!

do you know what does the vet injected to her? is that K10?

fxxk that ásshole. sorry to hear that.......have you report to guards?

It sounds familiar all right - was last year though. I'd be confident the pup will be fine.

Nothing we can do really its a quiet country road and a small straight stretch - our puppy and the neighbors was killed probably on purpose - the car would have had lots of time to slow down and they were easily visible mostly white dogs. Either that or someone driving way too fast for the narrow road.

Replaced her a few weeks ago with Poppy, attached to my post on this page:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=59885985

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭AngelicRaindrop

bushy... wrote: »
    Bad idea posting that as advice , only one "type " of rat poison works that way.

alright. i was always taught in poisions lectures that it was infact warfarin that was the main component in most rat poisions on the market. hence the extreme danger to any animal if ingested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Your puppy is absolutely beautiful. I really hope he pulls through.

I also hope you have learned a very valuable lesson in all this, as your little pup is relying on you to protect him when it doesn't know better. Puppies will eat anything, and you have to be so careful with what they have access to.

If all goes well, before he comes home it might be an idea to get down on all fours (this sounds stupid but trust me) and go around your home to see if there is anything else dangerous he could chew on/eat. This way you will be able to see your home from the pups level and probably spot things you normally wouldn't when standing up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭thecornerboy

At the risk of being insensitive, what on earth were your puppies doing on any public road?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

It sounds familiar all right - was last year though. I'd be confident the pup will be fine.

Nothing we can do really its a quiet country road and a small straight stretch - our puppy and the neighbors was killed probably on purpose - the car would have had lots of time to slow down and they were easily visible mostly white dogs. Either that or someone driving way too fast for the narrow road.

Replaced her a few weeks ago with Poppy, attached to my post on this page:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=59885985

Why do you think people would kill a puppy on purpose?? its up to you to make sure your dog is under control and not wandering the roads, not the drivers fault if a dog runs under the wheel, your lucky it didnt cause an accident.
    It amazes me when pet owners blame the drivers, if they are out on the roads where they shouldnt be then of course the dog runs the risk of being knocked down, but dont blame the driver.

andreac wrote: »
    Why do you think people would kill a puppy on purpose?? its up to you to make sure your dog is under control and not wandering the roads, not the drivers fault if a dog runs under the wheel, your lucky it didnt cause an accident.
    It amazes me when pet owners blame the drivers, if they are out on the roads where they shouldnt be then of course the dog runs the risk of being knocked down, but dont blame the driver.

what he is saying that asshole didn't even stoped. if i was the driver and i knocked a puppy down, i'll stop to see how is the puppy, any chance to save him. but not just drive away without even slow my car...

We live in the middle of nowhere and its impossible to completely fence off where the dogs have access to. Any dogs we had always knew the dangers of the road, Holly was just a bit careless. My aunt was watching her (she was ages 2yrs at the time) but had gone in to the house.

We like to give our dogs the freedom to run around our garden and into the field - hate the idea of dogs not being able to run around or living in housing estates. They also act as guide dogs so need to be free. They usually never wander out the gate though and stay to their territory. We've never had problems with that before.

Holly never ever chased cars - ever! She would always stay clear of them. Unfortunately there are people around that would hit dogs or speed up on purpose - some real ássholes use our road. Not saying that definately happened though.

And the real point is they never stopped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

W

We like to give our dogs the freedom to run around our garden and into the field - hate the idea of dogs not being able to run around or living in housing estates.

All my families dogs lived on..*gasp*... housing estates, lived long eventful lives and died of natural causes, the poor things. :rolleyes:

I hate the idea of dogs being run over because it didn't occur to someone that leaving them unsupervised near a road might be breathtakingly stupid.

Well all of our dogs lived long eventful lives too except for that one. Sorry I just prefer to see dogs living mostly outdoors and having freedom in a large garden and thankful that we can give them that. Nothing wrong with dogs living in smaller spaces but I prefer to see them with more space. I'm not getting into a debate on how we keep our dogs it's off topic and we have never had problems until then. Yes it was a lesson learned but sometimes its better to let the dogs lie in the sun while we're out for an hour rather than stay cooked up in the shed. And the road we live on is tiny, any neighbours here who have dogs also let them roam their territory and they would on occasion be seen on the road. It's country living! And they have on several occasions chased would-be intruders, as I said, gaurd dogs are invaluable when you live in the middle of nowhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

its a quiet country road and a small straight stretch -

narrow road....

the road we live on is tiny

Has it occurred to you that since the road is so small, perhaps the drivers were unable to swerve around your dogs without going into a ditch?
    our puppy and the neighbors was killed probably on purpose...

Unfortunately there are people around that would hit dogs or speed up on purpose - some real ássholes use our road. Not saying that definately happened though.

This is only speculation. The only thing I can see that was done on purpose was you being careless and allowing your dog onto a road. What if there was ice on the road and you decided to let your dog out, would you expect someone to jam on the brakes and possibly skid just to avoid your dog?
    And the real point is they never stopped.

This is your only blessing. You know you're responsible for any damage the dog did to the car, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭spiderdog

i live in a rural area and NEVER let my dogs loose on the road..........in fact i cant understand people who do:confused:
    loose dogs while im driving and walking are dangerous, i`ve see lots of near misses involving loose dogs and owners dont seem to realise that they are responsible if their dog causes an accident.
    we have a small field safely fenced off for our lot to play in, done quite cheaply.........if you own an animal, you are responsible for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭thecornerboy

Well all of our dogs lived long eventful lives too except for that one. Sorry I just prefer to see dogs living mostly outdoors and having freedom in a large garden and thankful that we can give them that. Nothing wrong with dogs living in smaller spaces but I prefer to see them with more space. I'm not getting into a debate on how we keep our dogs it's off topic and we have never had problems until then. Yes it was a lesson learned but sometimes its better to let the dogs lie in the sun while we're out for an hour rather than stay cooked up in the shed. And the road we live on is tiny, any neighbours here who have dogs also let them roam their territory and they would on occasion be seen on the road. It's country living! And they have on several occasions chased would-be intruders, as I said, gaurd dogs are invaluable when you live in the middle of nowhere.

The point is that leaving your dogs to roam on a public road is totally irresponsible and stupid. 2 year old's are still very immature. You said yourself you knew there were idiots speeding up and down it. It's totally ridiculous to leave them unsupervised. Blame yourself, not the driver, another driver might have been killed had he swerved to avoid the dogs you've let roam on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭*Lees*

hate the idea of dogs not being able to run around or living in housing estates.

I live on a housing estate (shock horror:rolleyes:) my back garden is just under one third of an acre! At the moment we're putting up secure fencing around the garden as we are planning on getting a puppy in the next few weeks!! He will have plenty of room to run around and he won't be roaming around near roads!!
    Jackie.du your puppy is gorgeous. I hope it makes a full recovery!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 petangels

I know of 2 dogs in the same situation, they were all taken to the vets and put on vitamin K for a month. One of them was lethargic and feeling ill for the first couple of days but fine after that. Very scary to have a sick puppy. I wish you the best of luck and keep your spirits high...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

your obviously thick in some sort of way.....

I lol'd at that :D

Advertisement