Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My puppy ate rat poison this morning..help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Options
  • 13-05-2009 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

need all of your advise here, my puppy 9 weeks old ate some rat poison 6 am this morning,a small bit, maybe around 5g-10g, half a small bag. but he's fine for the whole day until his excretion into green around 5pm ( that's the colour of the rat poison). i sent him to the lissenhall veterinary hospital in swords. they give him two injections and ask me to leave the dog in there over night and might be for a few days. can anyone advise what should I do, the puppy is cute and we really love him. is that vet a good vet, will they save him? please help!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jackie.du

we also bought an insurance from allianz last thursday online and i got a email back to confrim the cover will start on Friday and they are on the way to post me some kind of form to fill in including my direct debit details and i havn't got these as of today, so i havn't pay them anything yet, can i still make a claim in this case?

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Elliee

Why didnt you take him to the vets at 9am when they opened?? :eek:

Im no experience with dogs eating rat poison but it would of been the first thing I would of done !

Anyhow, ive heard great things about the lissenhall vets, im sure they will give your puppy the best care.

In future pack your rat poison away up high!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Well now you just have to leave it up to chance, really, but if it happens again try to induce vomiting immediately, really shouldn't leave the poison in his system that long.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭kazza90210

I duno if they are a good vet but im sure they are. on the other hand you should have brought the pup in straight after he ate it and they could have given him an injection to make him vomit and it would have stopped it passing through his whole digestive system and causing damage.

All you can do is wait and see im sure the vets will try everything to save him

i just moved into this house and that rat poison was left my the last guy who lives in here.this morning he was ok, and looks full of energy, i never ever experience this kind of thing before. so i thought to leave it and see how's going until the end of today....what should i do now?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I doubt you havea valid claim OP, but your puppies welfare/life is at stake for the moment.

Get them better then worry about the money, plus many Vets understand our financial concern's so discuss the costs with your Vet when the dog is better.

well if he is still in the vets let them do there best there isnt much u can do, i doubt you will be able to claim as cover for illness starts 14 days after the insurance starts

thank you all for your advise, any one knows the chance of a dog can be survive after ate a small amount of rat poison. i'm really worried about him now, i don't care how much to spend to save his life, but if a vet know if you have a vaild insurance cover, they'll do everything they can do save his life.

this kind thing can be treat as accident injury but not treat as illness if i am understanding correct.

any good vet no matter if you have insurance or not will try there best to save any animal in there care. I do hope your puppy is ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

most poisons have an antidote written on the package.

I know that vitman K is a common antidote, but may not be correct for the poison that your dog ate.

bring the dog and the poison to the vet ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

jackie.du wrote: »
    i just moved into this house and that rat poison was left my the last guy who lives in here.this morning he was ok, and looks full of energy, i never ever experience this kind of thing before. so i thought to leave it and see how's going until the end of today....what should i do now?

I'm kinda confused - you said he ate the poison at 6am and that you sent him to the vets in swords, but you didn't say what time - but here it looks like you didn't send him in - what happened?

If he's with the vet, leave him there, he's in the best place he could be. If you see your animal eat something, you shouldn't adopt a 'wait and see' approach if it's a poison. If it's something less obvious, (object - like a tennis ball or something really weird - for instance, the pad from the inside of a whole chicken wrapper - you know the ones that sit in the bottom of a tray of meat and absorb the raw blood? Tasty for dogs apparently) call the vet up and they'll tell you what you should expect, and also how to judge when it's time to go to the vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

If your dog is already at the vets then there isn't anything you can do, except wait.
    As Kazza said, you're not covered by pet insurance for an illness til 14 days after they get your application. For an injury, the cover is effective the minute they get your application....but your dog doesn't have an injury, he has an illness induced by an accident. And because it happened as a result of lack of preventative measure by you, then they won't pay out.

I hope your dog will be ok....the poison had 11 hours to move through his system and infiltrate every organ so he has a big battle to fight. Yes, it would have been much less of an emergency if you'd brought him to the vet first thing this morning....but you didn't know. My thoughts are with you and the dog of course- this is a very tough way to learn a lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I don't think your insurance will cover it, because they haven't charged you for it yet and your kind of in the process of getting the dog covered.

Rats don't need to eat much of a rat poison for them to die and the pup at that age would be still very small the fact you left it so long means that the poison would have worked it's way through the pups system but seeing as the pup is still alive now is a good sign fingers crossed there's not any permanent damage done.

Puppies are terrible and will find the tiniest thing on the floor to eat accidents do happen but I would throw out any mouse or rat poisons lying around even if there is some left in a box in a cupboard.

Seeing as your pup is so young especially you cannot take risks with them, being so small when they become ill or if you even suspect they ate something that could harm their health treat it as an emergency. It's better to look like a paranoid pet owner than risking the dogs health.
    I've looked a right fool plenty of times with concerns about pets but I prefer to be safe than sorry.

Slightly off topic seeing as it's that time of year for gardening..same goes for people using slug pellets in the garden etc. cats and dogs may have a go at eating them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭spiderdog

this is very sad and indeed a very tough lesson to learn, for such a young pup and so long in his system,.....only time will tell:(
    your vet will do all they can for your pup wether you`re insured or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭AngelicRaindrop

rat poison works by thinning the blood to the point any small breakage in a vessel can cause massive internal bleeding. leaving him so long after ingesting wasnt the best thing you could have done but thats the past now

they will be trying to get his blood back to normal. if they are able to get it to clot properly before any serious internal bleeding is caused then he should be ok, and lead a normal life. but it all depends on how long the poison had to work, how thin his blood is now and if he had any small trauma afterwards which normally would clot fine but in this case wont.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

Any word on the puppy?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

You have to act quick with anything like this, I hope the poor little tyke is okay.

When one of mine was a pup, we brought her over to someone else's house, and anti-freeze had been left out in the garden (I had no idea). She licked some of it, not sure how much but got a couple of good licks. We rushed her to the vet when we realised, and even that quickly it was still unsure if she'd even make it. She was in the vets for nearly a week on a drip, I was worried sick, but she came out right as rain, she's a big healthy happy dog now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Most vets (or at least one vet in any small town) operate an out of hours emergency service and this is definitely a scenario where that service should be used. At a minimum, a call should be made to ask for advice.

With anything like poison, once you know that there's even a chance that your pet has gotten near some, you should bring the animal to the vet. Sadly, symptoms like those you described often mean that the poison is working its way through the pet's system and it might be too late. By getting the animal to the doctor immediately, they can prevent a lot of damage and even death.

Hope the pup pulls through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭tormented

When my kitten was sick Lissenhall wouldn't let me bring him inbecause.....they were on lunch!!! How nuts is that! Ended up bringing him to O'Scannalls in Swords and they were amazing. Not saying your vet won't look after your puppy but I didnt have insurance yet and O'Scannalls didnt even charge me full whack, probably felt sorry for me!
    But Im getting off the point, apologies, how is the puppy any update?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭stephens770

your obviously thick in some sort of way,waiting around to see what happens, christ sake come on would you wait around to see if you ate rat poison.hope you really know what it takes to look after a puppy and not just because its cute and you love it

I'm kinda confused - you said he ate the poison at 6am and that you sent him to the vets in swords, but you didn't say what time - but here it looks like you didn't send him in - what happened?

If he's with the vet, leave him there, he's in the best place he could be. If you see your animal eat something, you shouldn't adopt a 'wait and see' approach if it's a poison. If it's something less obvious, (object - like a tennis ball or something really weird - for instance, the pad from the inside of a whole chicken wrapper - you know the ones that sit in the bottom of a tray of meat and absorb the raw blood? Tasty for dogs apparently) call the vet up and they'll tell you what you should expect, and also how to judge when it's time to go to the vet.

i was anxious to post this, sorry about the confusion, the pup ate that bloody thing 6am yesterday morning and i was in work for the whole day, until my wife called me back, i went to the vet in balbriggan and they told me i need to bring him to the hospital asap. and so lucky i made it. they removed some hair on the puppy's arm and injected some vitamin K10( if am right) into his vein. and i left the puppy in the hospital over night yesterday.

If your dog is already at the vets then there isn't anything you can do, except wait.
    As Kazza said, you're not covered by pet insurance for an illness til 14 days after they get your application. For an injury, the cover is effective the minute they get your application....but your dog doesn't have an injury, he has an illness induced by an accident. And because it happened as a result of lack of preventative measure by you, then they won't pay out.

I hope your dog will be ok....the poison had 11 hours to move through his system and infiltrate every organ so he has a big battle to fight. Yes, it would have been much less of an emergency if you'd brought him to the vet first thing this morning....but you didn't know. My thoughts are with you and the dog of course- this is a very tough way to learn a lesson.

i made to the hospital twice today, morning and after work, the nurse told me he passed the worse time which is last night, and the veterinarian told me he'll be very disappointed is he can't save the puppy. so that's the good sign, ya? i'll call the insurance company up tomorrow monirng to find out if they will cover this kind of thing, all they meant for that 14 days illness is to prevent people who know their dogs are ill or even at cricital conditions and still trying to insure their dog and make a claim. that's is not the situation I am faceing at the moment. indeed it's my fault to didn't checked out everywhere in the room, but it's still an accident which caused the dog got internal injury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

rat poison works by thinning the blood to the point any small breakage in a vessel can cause massive internal bleeding. leaving etc

Bad idea posting that as advice , only one "type " of rat poison works that way.

I don't think your insurance will cover it, because they haven't charged you for it yet and your kind of in the process of getting the dog covered.

Rats don't need to eat much of a rat poison for them to die and the pup at that age would be still very small the fact you left it so long means that the poison would have worked it's way through the pups system but seeing as the pup is still alive now is a good sign fingers crossed there's not any permanent damage done.

Puppies are terrible and will find the tiniest thing on the floor to eat accidents do happen but I would throw out any mouse or rat poisons lying around even if there is some left in a box in a cupboard.

Seeing as your pup is so young especially you cannot take risks with them, being so small when they become ill or if you even suspect they ate something that could harm their health treat it as an emergency. It's better to look like a paranoid pet owner than risking the dogs health.
    I've looked a right fool plenty of times with concerns about pets but I prefer to be safe than sorry.

Slightly off topic seeing as it's that time of year for gardening..same goes for people using slug pellets in the garden etc. cats and dogs may have a go at eating them.

thank you Guineapigrescue. i don't think he ate lots of them, but the vet said even one teaspoon of rat poison is enough to kill a puppy,

it's a big joke you'll need a prescription to buy a antibiotic which will NOT kill the dogs and cats, but everyone can get rat poison which will kill the dogs and cats everywhere.

spiderdog wrote: »
    this is very sad and indeed a very tough lesson to learn, for such a young pup and so long in his system,.....only time will tell:(
    your vet will do all they can for your pup wether you`re insured or not.

really a tough lesson, i did pray alot. and the puppy passed the worth time now. thank you.

kildara wrote: »
    Any word on the puppy?

thank you kildara, he seems to be fine now, not for 100% sure, but he survived. here is picture of him which i took before he's sick.he's lovely, ah?

DSC03086.JPG

DSC03138.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

You wont be covered on your insurance with this, cover only starts so many days after you take out the policy, so anything that happens before then will not be covered.
    I really hope the puppy pulls through, you will be lucky if it does.

koneko wrote: »
    You have to act quick with anything like this, I hope the poor little tyke is okay.

When one of mine was a pup, we brought her over to someone else's house, and anti-freeze had been left out in the garden (I had no idea). She licked some of it, not sure how much but got a couple of good licks. We rushed her to the vet when we realised, and even that quickly it was still unsure if she'd even make it. She was in the vets for nearly a week on a drip, I was worried sick, but she came out right as rain, she's a big healthy happy dog now.

good to hear that, this will give me a lot of confidence. i am going to leave the pup there over the weekend just for observe as many vet closed over the weekend.incase something will happen. The Saddest Thing is you see the small little thing is struggleing to live, and you can't do anything...

• Advertisement

tormented wrote: »
    When my kitten was sick Lissenhall wouldn't let me bring him inbecause.....they were on lunch!!! How nuts is that! Ended up bringing him to O'Scannalls in Swords and they were amazing. Not saying your vet won't look after your puppy but I didnt have insurance yet and O'Scannalls didnt even charge me full whack, probably felt sorry for me!
    But Im getting off the point, apologies, how is the puppy any update?

One of my co worker called tara bring her cat to O'scannalls in swords as well, and her cat stay in there for three days, only charged for 65 euros. she's shocked.... but lissenhall so far so good, i went to the vet twice today and every time i go in, they'll bring the puppy out and let me see him...maybe it's just a bad guy you met at the time??

Advertisement