Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registered AITI Tax Qualification Info and Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭SligoL

Smiles here also. So relieved to have passed. Hope everyone here did similarly!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Anneb158

Managed to get all 4 ,, am so thrilled and relieved

• Registered Users Posts: 8 snapcracklepop

Thank god. Passed all 4. The relief. Really thought professional would be the end of me. Hope everyone did ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

How difficult are these exams? They sound like a bloody nightmare. Are they that bad?

Part 3 Is the hardest, due to sheer volume of stuff to retain an understand as opposed to being un understandable
    Part 2 is tough, , Part 1 is grand but if you study the minute you start and keep head down you will get through them.

• Advertisement

Anneb158 wrote: »
    Part 3 Is the hardest, due to sheer volume of stuff to retain an understand as opposed to being un understandable
    Part 2 is tough, , Part 1 is grand but if you study the minute you start and keep head down you will get through them.

Cheers. I guess there's no substitute for hard work! Getting started early is very often the key. It's easier said than done though.

I've a general query for everyone: I've just finished my law degree. I'm interested in a career in tax. But I just feel under-qualified. It seems that many people that are doing these exams are already qualified accountants, solicitors, etc. Or people that are already working in top 4 firms. I'm a qualified tradesman. I went back to college when the recession first began to kick in. And now I'm considering these exams. Ideally I'd pick up some relevant work, but at the moment I'm unemployed. Basically, I'll be going into these exams on a wing and a prayer. I also never sat my Leaving Certificate, and I know that's a biggie. All in all I feel like a very unorthodox candidate. I'm hoping that a CTA qualification, coupled with my degree, will be enough to create an opportunity somewhere. Am I day-dreaming or does that sound like a viable plan? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm honestly interested in tax but I feel like a fish out of water. Thanks.

As you have passed the law degree, you are not under qualified, lots of people do the law degree and then go onto do tax, as the CTA is really the legislation which is the tax law. In Part one you would be exempt from the law subject, so would only have to do accounts which is not that bad, personal tax and capital gains tax, the capital gains is really interesting, it easy to learn, I did not work in tax before I started this and was less qualified than you and I have passed them , also lots of firms look for tax trainees especially in Dublin so you would get work and there are firms out there who offer training contract so look up tax jobs and you will find opportunities, if you want it go for it

That's great Anne. Thank you for the vote of confidence. I guess it's the fear of the unknown. I felt the same way when I stated studying law. It's good to know that it's not only professionals that are sitting these exams. I guess I need to just back myself and go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭trg

Hi folks,

Crashed and burned to a large extent here. Passed AIT but failed the others. Dont mind about ABT as had sacrificed it due to lack of time but disappointed about the others. Really big step up from Part 2 to Part 3 that I noticed but its obviously doable as I see plenty passed and fair play to you all.

My dilemna that I would appreciate any views on is that I still just wont be able to dedicate enough time to do all 3 in August and coupled with the fact that my CA results were poor I'm a bit lost as to what way to go at it.

I'm happy to pass one at each sitting but mostly interested in your views as to whats best way to approach it....tempted to go after ABT as its my best topic but the poor continuous assessment means I'm on the backfoot and may be better to wait for 2015 to do CA again but then that means I'd need to go hard for PATAE now but IMO thats easier when your knowledge of the other modules is good.

I really dont want to do exams next year at all as we'll have a new arrival at busy study period and it'll be banana's around here, I speak from experience as no. 1 arrived at much the same time last year hence the dire CA results!

If Business is your best, then why not get it out of the way , as you know the ca takes up so much time, so why would you want to do it again. Even though you may not have high marks going in, you can still pass it. Also once you know business and go over and over audits in previous papers of professional there is a good chance you could get professional also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭noveltea

I think the best way to go about doing the 3 exams in August, is questions questions and more questions. This is what I was told to do by a work colleague who was placed and its how I went about my study. I found that by doing the questions with only the ledge in front of me I picked up things faster. I would really make a go at them in August, as there nothing worse then doing exam with the new ledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 coolaboola14

Hello, just wondering did anyone attend the revision lectures for the Part 2 exams last weekend? Re-sitting Business and Indirect in August but unfortunately was unable to attend the revision lectures. Any help would be greatly appreciated ! TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 42 crazylikeme

just registered for part 3 . Noticed the new syllabi. Anyone worried about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 stormpiper

Hi,

New here. I'm sure that people have asked and gotten these questions answered a billion times before on this thread, but I have read a lot of it and can't find the answers I seek.

I'm more or less ACCA qualified (my PER is causing me trouble) and am currently in a try new things phase. I've always been interested in tax and was thinking about doing some tax exams. My questions start with; is it worth doing the tax technician? (I am working in industry currently and am a little rusty - amazing how fast tax disappears from your brain) and I haven't done any exams in quite a while. Or should I go for the full thing straight off - part 2 I assume since I did pass the ACCA advanced tax. Obviously I know that they're not easy, I was just wondering if they're worth doing?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭NewApproach

stormpiper wrote: »
    Hi,

New here. I'm sure that people have asked and gotten these questions answered a billion times before on this thread, but I have read a lot of it and can't find the answers I seek.

I'm more or less ACCA qualified (my PER is causing me trouble) and am currently in a try new things phase. I've always been interested in tax and was thinking about doing some tax exams. My questions start with; is it worth doing the tax technician? (I am working in industry currently and am a little rusty - amazing how fast tax disappears from your brain) and I haven't done any exams in quite a while. Or should I go for the full thing straight off - part 2 I assume since I did pass the ACCA advanced tax. Obviously I know that they're not easy, I was just wondering if they're worth doing?

Thanks.

Whats your objective? There's no point doing them for the sake of it. Do you think it will meaningfully increase your earning power with that qualification given you already have an industry role?

Stormpiper, I think that any specialization is worth it. If you are serious about tax, then go for CTA, don't waste your time with technician, since it will not provide you with any exemptions towards CTA anyway. You would get exemption for CTA from part 1, so would only have to sit 8 exams in total to become AITI qualified. I'd say go for it.

Anyone doing the P3 repeats? Found yesterdays ABT ok-ish. Not on again til Friday now.

Was Purple Ltd allowed surrender losses to Yellow Ltd?

I cant stomach the thought of opening the book and checking for myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭dustyrip

trg wrote: »
    Anyone doing the P3 repeats? Found yesterdays ABT ok-ish. Not on again til Friday now.

Was Purple Ltd allowed surrender losses to Yellow Ltd?

I cant stomach the thought of opening the book and checking for myself!

Was that Q5? I was repeating ABT (final attempt), found it a much better paper than the May sitting.

Ya, q5. It was my 2nd time around and like you found it better than May.

Still haven't checked up, I may forget about it. I surrendered the loss anyway so fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭otterj

What exemptions are available for AITI exams If youre a qualified ACCA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭dustyrip

otterj wrote: »
    What exemptions are available for AITI exams If youre a qualified ACCA

Part 1 as far as I am aware. So you have to sit Part 2 and Part 3.

Hi all, Just about to register for the Part 3 exams - as far as I know these are held in Dublin, Cork & Athlone. I am about the same distance from all three so was wondering if there is any one in particular ye might recommend from past expierences? TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭butterly.john

Does anyone know when the AITI Conferring ceremony on?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭butterly.john

Hi all, Just about to register for the Part 3 exams - as far as I know these are held in Dublin, Cork & Athlone. I am about the same distance from all three so was wondering if there is any one in particular ye might recommend from past expierences? TIA

I did part one and 2 in Dublin and 3 in Athlone, Classes smaller in Athlone. I found the tables very small in Dublin when the lecture was on the the theater lecture hall. If u choose to do Athlone or Cork then the recorded lectures are the Dublin ones so if u could always look at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭gerrykeegan

Does anyone know when the AITI Conferring ceremony on?

27th November

you will get exemptions for whole of part 1 if you are ACCA qualified

you will get exemptions from whole of part one

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭prettyrestless

Has anyone here sat part 2 and part 3 in the same year? I was reading on the AITI website that it's possible to take Autumn and Summer courses.

Is this actually doable or would I insane to consider it?

Although they say it's possible - there dates tell a different story.

The Part 2 exams are held from the 13-17 April & Results are out June 10th.

However the Part 3 course commences April 25th & assignment is due June 8th with the interim exam being held on June 27th.

It seems pretty tight to me considering you wouldn't have your Part 2 results and you would have submitted your Part 3 assignment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭prettyrestless

Yeah I thought their dates seemed a bit off. I suppose if you were halfway through part 3 then found out you'd failed one of the part 2 you'd be screwed and you'd end up spending two years doing it away...

Advertisement