Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Advice for Nursing Interview

Options
  • 12-05-2009 8:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Passed written test for nursing. Would love some good advice from anyone who attended interview last year. All this waiting is nightmare

Jessica

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sdonal

i also have the interview next week, just trying to write up answers for the 6 areas....... its quite difficult to try and write a suitable answer........... have you done the application form ? if so ,then all you can do is keep reading it and know answers well......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 dollfacex

Wow thank god im not the only one... So hard trying to write out 6 reasons... Like wats right??? Have my interview tomorrow!!! Did any of u go yet???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

One of the best things you can do in the nursing interview is to listen very carefully to what is being asked and then answer that specific question in a concise manner. You only have 25 mins afaik and many people go off topic in their answers which can count against them.

Know your scenarios very well, relate them to the core competencies, skills and attributes required for nursing and be able to reference these in your responses. If you havent seen them already there are some very good 'day in the life' stories on the Board Altranais website on all aspects of nursing., e.g. general nurse http://www.nursingboard.ie/en/day_life-general_nurse.aspx

These can be useful to give you an idea of the qualities a nurse needs that you can relate to in your scenarios.

Best of luck.
    :)

Edit: I have an example sheet of responses based on last years questionnaire if anyone wants to PM me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 dollfacex

Hiya... Yep if you could send me notes that be great!!! Thanks a million!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 baba09

hi guys, it's nice to hear other people are biting their nails over this interview! could i get someone to send me the past notes aswel, thanks a million and best of luck to everyone with your interviews......:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sdonal

yea i had my interview this morning..... went ok, but yes very fast and maybe i babbled in the wrong direction to what was been asked.... its farely quick so no time for waffling on about non relevant stuff.....

its hard to tell, the interviewers were nice, but who knows what they say once you close that door behind you :-)

well will find out in few weeks, out of my hands now.....what college are you trying to get into ? think im going for trinity, anyone the same ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭trio

Am bashing out the 6 skills in "Arial Narrow, Font 11" as we speak. I'd rather a bigger font to make what I've done fill up the pages a bit more!!!

Interview tomorrow morning. Pooing it entirely. Am normally good in job interviews but this is a whole different ball game.

I've been realising that with 6 skills to go through, that's not even 5 mins to talk about each one! God it's going to whizz by! Scary!

Just want to get the bloody thing over with now....

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭estreet girl

Hi,I had my interview today as well.Not quite sure how it went:eek:! Just one thing for anyone still to go,have other examples besides the ones you have written down which can throw you! The interviewers were very nice.I was in room 8.
    I'm glad it's all over,now all we have to do is sit back and wait:)
    Good luck to you all

I had mine this morning, and came out shaking!

It went fine till the last five minutes when she asked me to describe the course!

I had NOTHING prepared and went completely blank. She had to prompt me!

So I think I'm a goner. Shame as I actually have tons of care experience but I think I underestimated how much they were going to ask about the "studenty" part of it.

But there are so few Mature places that part of me wonders why I bothered. Apparently only 5 in Sligo this year for example, as a girl was saying to me this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭hotredhead

Don't be so hard on yourself Trio,you have lots of experience in your favour.These interviewers will know we would have all been a bag of nerves.I stumbled a lot as well.All any of us can do now is play the waiting game.I think the places for midwifery are pretty thin on the ground but there should be a fair few for the other courses.You've done it now,hopefully it will work out for you:):)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭hotredhead

Got my letter in the post today...and I passed!!!
    Now all I have to do is hope I get an offer:eek::eek:
    Places are extremely low this year with only 129 for General,90 for ID and 96 for Psych according to my figures.Not sure about Midwifery.
    Can anyone clarify this?

Hi,I got my letter yesterday saying I had passed.Looks like I'll be biting my nails for the next few weeks.Can't seem to understand the breakdown of places for mature students for the different colleges though.
    When are the offers made does anybody know?
    Best of luck to you all.:)

Yeah I passed too. :D

I think the letter said the offers are July 3rd.

Seems to be about a 1 in 7 chance of getting a place, so I'm not too optimistic.

BUT at least I didn't mess it up - it's up to the CAO now and my attitude is, I've done all I could.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 SandraD77

Hey what and where did you guys apply for! I passed my interview and am now hoping to get into TCD Childrens & General! But will be some big competition! Roll on the 4th of July! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 carla30

i just got my letter today to say i passed the interview so that is good news and congrats to everyone that did:D the offers are posted by the cao on friday 3rd july and are on the cao website from 6am on 4th july. another round of offers are posted on 30th july to. Where have yous applied to? what did ye think of the aptitude test and the interviews?

Hey Carla30,

Applied a few different places, but TCD top choice! Didn't think i'd done well in apptitude test, so was shocked when I got some decent points! Interviews, like any interview for civil service, interviewers give no indication good, bad or indifferent, so was very hard to gauge whether i'd pass or not! But I did *happy days*... so now it's just a waiting game eh! Where and what did you apply for?

hey sandra i applied to both sligo and athlone. I keep checking the internet every day in case the results are out a bit earlier cos the interview results were, but i think its just wishful thinking!!:rolleyes::p i dont think that i will get offered a place as i think my score is not enough:mad:. how about you?

i forgot to say that my score was 166 and thats why i dont think it enough. cant believe the highest score was 215. wow thats some score!!

Hiya C!

I got 179pts and like you I'm checking all the time, but the CAO are pretty rigid with dates for stuff, so if they say the 4th, it won't be before that :(

Last year I woulda had NO problems getting Childrens & Gen, but this year I reckon i'll be relying on getting just General... and can't even count on that! With top score of 215 (16 more than last year) and less places available, it means that the points will be pretty steep this year!

What course are you hoping to get? General??? 166 is a great score and any other year you woulda walked in, it's such a shame that this year has so many applying for so few places! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! I really hope you get offered a place!!! Let me know how you get on!

S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Neils7

I only got 148 points, I'm hoping for Psychiatric Nursing in Trinity... fingers crossed...

• Advertisement

Hi Neils,

I would imagine that 148 would be enough to get your Psych in TCD! Historically the highest it's ever gotten to (in TCD anyways) is 142, and I imagine it may be about that, maybe a point or 2 higher, again this year! Couldn't see it going beyond that! So i'll have my fingers crossed for you!

S

Hi SandraD77

I am hoping to attend TCD, so that makes me feel a little better...

Well I have my fingers crossed for everyone, good luck all, only a day and a half left...

Neil

Carla, I got 166 too, snap!

I'm applying for NUIG though. Not sure if it'll be enough.

I got a letter this morning and almost got a heart attack thinking it was the offers, but it was just the stupid summary of points letter! I almost dropped opening it. Now I have to go through that all again next week!

I got that letter too and had the same reaction!! Just had a look at the Cao site,would I be correct in assuming that the offers(if any:eek::))will be online from 6am in the morning??
    Good luck to you all with your choices.

Hey estreet!

Yep offers available from 6am tomorrow on cao.ie! Just checked there a moment ago and the site has changed in preparation for offers... there's now an offers tab, but nothing going to be posted until tomorrow morning! Starting to feel sick! *lol* Seriously need it to be tomorrow now!!!

:)

I know that feeling!! Best of luck to you
    Don't forget to set your alarm:)

Only 12 hours 38 mins:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Hi All

I got Offered Psychiartic Nursing in Trinity College and have already accepted it...

Now maybe I can get some sleep...

Hope you all got what you wanted!! And best of luck with your prospective degrees!!

Neil

Congrats Neil and well done to you!!:D Best of luck!!you must be delighted:) I wasnt offered a place this morning, but i kinda thought that would be the case as the competition was very high this year. How did everyone else get on? Did ye all get what ye wanted? I hope so. xxx:D:D

Oh my God,I got my first choice of midwifery in Trinity.
    I can not believe I got that on 169 points,I am in genuine shock:eek:

Carla,I am surprised you did not get an offer on those points.Is the competition really high where you are?
    You may find you will still get an offer in the next round at the end of July.
    Ireally hope you do.Best of luck.

• Advertisement

Congrats Neils7:) You must be thrilled!

Advertisement