Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 12 Week Blow Dry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Hi guys,

anyone know where I can buy the global keratin shampoo and conditioner online? The only sites I have seen are only selling to professionals.

I am going to the gym swimming pool most days and have to put conditioner in before swimming then wash and condition after so going thru the ones I got fairly fast!

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Yenwod

lubie76 wrote: »
    Gosh, I'm really surprised at that. Is it definitely the same keratin treatment that they are doing in all the hairdressers? My aunt is on her 4th treatment now in a year and a half and her hair is in fantastic condition. Even at the end of the 12 weeks before she gets the next one done its in great condition but takes longer to dry it. I'm about to get my second one done now but hope its not bad for my hair in the long term.

The reason you use the sulphate free shampoo and conditioner is because the sulphate in normal products strips the keratin from your hair so it wouldn't last as long. It has nothing to do with your hair been damaged. No shampoo or conditioner could stop chemical damage thats already been done.
    Wow, could have sworn I answered this...sorry about the delay!!

Yeah, it's definitely the same. When she start mentioning chemicals, I interrupted to say "no no, this is the conditoning one" and she clarifyed saying "the keratin one".

She was saying that doing it a lot would baically be overprocessing your hair. I guess kind of in the same way getting your hair dyed a lot can dry it out and almost turn it to straw...but some people wouldn't get that as bad so I gues it could all depend on the person?

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭efc67

TillyGirl wrote: »
    Hi guys,

anyone know where I can buy the global keratin shampoo and conditioner online? The only sites I have seen are only selling to professionals.

I am going to the gym swimming pool most days and have to put conditioner in before swimming then wash and condition after so going thru the ones I got fairly fast!

http://www.globalkeratin.co.uk/buildOrder.php

Or you could try these...they are both salt and sulphate free

http://www.care4yourskin.com/index.php?action=10&pk=1456&menuitem=164&manufacturer=91

http://www.care4yourskin.com/index.php?action=10&pk=1562&menuitem=165&manufacturer=91

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭jackira

Yenwod wrote: »
    Just back from the hairdressers and was asking my hairdresser if she has heard of this and what she thought of it.

She was saying that they were looking into bringing into their salon but she's actually quite weary about it. She was telling me that despite popular belief, there is actually chemicals in this product and so it will be damaging to your hair. They were in contact with a guy who has researched these products for the past couple of years (as it's been doing the rounds in America) and that there are two different versions you can by. One, it has been discovered, can actually be cancerous! The other she said was safer...but it is still chemically damaged and you have to use the speical shampoo and conditioner with it.

She said she'd seen the results of someone with it done and that it definitely did improve the managibility of the hair but she said she would be concerned about someone getting it more than once, that after two or three times it could really start to wreck your hair.

I would really trust the opinion of my hairdresser...and especially since she wasn't trying to sell it to me...so just a warning. Oh and for the DIYers, she said be very very careful with it

yenwood who is this guy that has said that it gives you cancer...would be interested to speak to him myself or see any reports that he has written and published.

I have done alot of research on this subject myself and yes i have heard and read people's views about it causing cancer but every single one of these are just comments and assumptions, i've not seen or heard of one scientific report to state any of this!!

I think it will vary from person to person the results that you get....for me i've just done my friends hair for the second time and the condition and look of her hair is better not the other way around. same with my own hair.

jackira wrote: »
    yenwood who is this guy that has said that it gives you cancer...would be interested to speak to him myself or see any reports that he has written and published.

I have done alot of research on this subject myself and yes i have heard and read people's views about it causing cancer but every single one of these are just comments and assumptions, i've not seen or heard of one scientific report to state any of this!!

I think it will vary from person to person the results that you get....for me i've just done my friends hair for the second time and the condition and look of her hair is better not the other way around. same with my own hair.
    Sorry jackira, I haven't a clue. She just said it was a guy who had done research on it for a couple of years in America because it's been around there a lot longer. As it was only a chat, I didn't really press any further.

It could be that his research was that of peoples opinions, I don't really know...but she did say that there were two similar products and that it's only one that has a risk of cancer, the other I don't think does.

Sorry I can't be more helpful than that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭jackira

I'll have to do a bit more digging and find out. All i have gotten so far is opinions, i'm waiting to hear back from a few people via email but i did find this thats intersting, so calling it formaldehyde free doesn't actually mean thats it's chemical free, they just have other chemicals in it, which are pretty much the same!! Oops!

I am a stylist in Miami who has used numerous different brands/formulas of the "Brazilian " Keratin Treatment. To tell you the truth, I (and my co-workers) have concluded that there is no perfect Keratin Treatment.

The original formaldehyde formulas were by far the best as far as straightening/de-frizzing. Period. The lower formaldehyde formulas were not as straight & didn't last as long. The Coppola Complex & other formaldehyde-free products that our salon tried were the least straight and didn't last very long. Our clients were very unhappy with CKC.

The problem is toxicity. The original formulas were highly toxic (didn't take a scientist to tell us that the fumes were not healthy to breathe) and removing the formaldehyde clearly changes the results. We also did our homework & most form-free products, including the Coppola have other ingredients with are similar and are also toxic. Coppola uses Aldehyde and another product uses Ether (Global Keratin). Both ingredients are carcinogens when heat is added.

The results from these treatments appear to make the hair healthier. but in all honesty, as a stylist performing these treatments I have not seen hair become healthier after multiple treatments. I have been performing these on clients for over 2 years & I have not seen any major difference in my clients hair, it just appears healthier because it is coated with this product. If anything I think it possibly becomes dependent on having the treatment to look healthy.

jackira, that sounds pretty much what my hairdresser was saying to me...you put it a lot more eloquently than me though, heh!

I guess any product that has chemicals in it will do some level of damage to your hair

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭lubie76

The way I see it, any product applied to your hair/skin over a long period probably isn't going to be a good thing and you might actually start to rely on it (E.g GHD's) which damages it more etc. But if it works when you are using the treatment, who cares? Hair is just a collection of dead cells and it will eventually grow out.

And as for the carcinogenic factor, two things. Firstly, it wouldn't get FDA approval if there were any serious suspicions about it in the States. That is why the original Fermaldehyde version was banned and never made it legally outside of Brazil. Secondly, everything these days is said to be carconegenic (found no proof that this treatment actually is!). It is rarely one thing that is going to make you get cancer but a build up of a number of factors over a long period of time. Its the same as saying we should all stop drinking tap water as they say its full of hormones from women excreting small amounts of the pill from their urine! The risk is too low to take it seriously!

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭lasair

jackira wrote: »
    The problem is toxicity. The original formulas were highly toxic (didn't take a scientist to tell us that the fumes were not healthy to breathe) and removing the formaldehyde clearly changes the results. We also did our homework & most form-free products, including the Coppola have other ingredients with are similar and are also toxic. Coppola uses Aldehyde and another product uses Ether (Global Keratin). Both ingredients are carcinogens when heat is added.

It is true about the Ether and Aldehyde but after a very long peroid of time... Ether is actually more dangerous as an exploding solvent than carcinogen...(im a "boffin" as they calling scientist now and use these every day). Formaldehyde is a great preserving technique, used in embalming of corpses, hence its great advantages in maintaining blow drying styles... There is a certain amount of these chemicals in hairspray and many other produnts but they are listed with different names.

FDA approval for each of these treatments takes a long time and is very tedious, each is re-examined every year when their dates are up...First the product is an idea, then it is passed to a company in which it ecomes a ptot type, then tests are carried out, then live lab test (screenings on humans mainly), results are submitted to the FDA, they go through it all and may conduct more tests and 5- 10 yrs after your idea was born it maybe a product...It costs a fortune, so they cant risk publics health!!!

Personally I would like to meet this researcher and read his papers/claims..

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

Hi guys, I got this done around three weeks ago. I think it is good but not great. My hair looks like it has been straightened, but a bit limp, it does not have that voluminous blow dry look to it. It possibly would be allot easier to blow dry my hair after the treatment- but that's the problem I can't blow dry my own hair which is why i got it done. It is def not a miracle product. And it is really expensive for what you get- bring on more hairdressers offering this service and bringing the price down. I might get it done again if that happened. As it is, if I had a big night out coming up or a wedding I think I would still go to a hairdressers with my shampoo and conditioner and get them to blow dry my hair- I expected not to have to do this after spending so much money. I guess if it sounds too good to be true it probably is:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 tinkerbell7

Hi Shello,

Would you be able to send me the phone no of the styling room in shrule as i live in kildare but would gladly travel down for the 12 wk blow dry instead of paying 250euro up here...thanks a mill

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bride09

hey , ive bn searching for ages for the no of the styling rooms in shrule for the 12 wk blowdry , anybody ave it

Hi Shello,

Would you be able to send me the phone no of the styling room in shrule as i live in kildare but would gladly travel down for the 12 wk blow dry instead of paying 250euro up here...thanks a mill
    bride09 wrote: »
    hey , ive bn searching for ages for the no of the styling rooms in shrule for the 12 wk blowdry , anybody ave it

it is 0862080282. she is lovely, even met me in galway the other day cos I ran out of shampoo!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bride09

thanks so much x

girls, just to let you know I am 6 weeks into my 12 week blow dry. I have to say I am still not impressed, even more so as the time moves on. I washed it this evening and it is quite lank and not half as shiney as it should be. I've been looking into it and I am not alone- check out this review from the times online
    http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/beauty/article4662958.ece
    (I got the link from beaut)
    I would not waste my money again, I'd treat myself to a blow dry a week instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

Hey, Im a hairdresser and have a client who only ever used to come in for a colour/cut & blowdry every 6 weeks, she could always manage her own hair.

Then this client went and had the 12 week blowdry and now has to come to me once a week, her hair has no shine anymore and is just limp when she does it herself and only gets two days out of a blowdry now even though she used to get a full week :(

I think its bad business that your not told before you have it done that it will do this to your hair, ok maybe you have less frizz but no shine anymore? :(

And the price of it:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭lubie76

Hey, Im a hairdresser and have a client who only ever used to come in for a colour/cut & blowdry every 6 weeks, she could always manage her own hair

I think herein lies the problem. It doesn't sound is if she should have got the treatment done as its for people who have serious difficulty managing their own hair. The hairdresser who done the treatment should have asked her what her expectations were of the treatment. If she could manage to easily blowdry her own hair then she wouldn't really have been suitable in the first place.

Any person I know got it done has no problem with shininess or lankness as there hair is quite coarse and dry previous to the treatment due to natural causes, overstyling or coloring. I would say to people getting it done to don't let a few bad reviews put you off but talk the treatment over with your hairdresser first.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Ok, there is no way I would get it done at those prices but I am wondering (in case I will the lotto on Sat night) does it effect your skin? I get breakout easily (on face and neck) so would be concerned. like I'm sure many others would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 butterfly 1

:) 12 week blow dry - my friend had it done in dylan bradshaws salon and it looks fab, ive currently changed saloons myself(credit crunch) and found a little gem of a salon in the city centre (hair by mor)dublin1. my stylist is hoping to have it in before christmas(permanent blow dry) so i cant wait to try it out. Its defo on my christmas list. Not sure what their charging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 tinkerbell7

Hi Hoshi,

I was actually going to ring your salon or send you an email as i have been debating having the 12 wk blowdry, i always had lovely curly hair but 2 kids later and my hair turned horrendous, neither straight or curly just in between, so i tried out a bodywavy !! big mistake and have now been considering getting the 12 wk blowdry as i have read so much about it and also saw some very positive feedback on your salon in shrule, i live in co kildare and have decided if i have to ,i will make a day trip out of it, a day out on my own with no kids, so i guess before i book with yourselves i just wanted to give you some history, hair bodywaved in june, coloured and now cut to my shoulders and now because of all these things i have got done ,was wondering and hoping that the 12 wk blowdry would give me lovely unruly hair ,could you let me know what you think,i got your phone no and eamil from a girl on this called shello jello, she has nothing but good reports on your salon....thanks a mill tinkerbell

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 caitlin42

Hi Girls,

I am about 14 weeks into my 12 week blow dry and the effects are still evident. I was instantly impressed with the results when I initially had it done and would continue to be a supporter of it, although probably only as a once a year treat.
    I had frizzy, coarse and unmanageable hair that only looked presentable after a salon blowdry. Holidays in hot weather were a particular hair disaster. After getting the 12 week blowdy I could style my hair myself with minimum fuss and holiday hair was no longer a daily battle. I did not find that it took the shine from my hair as I didn't have any to begin with and in fact it was shinier after the treatment.
    Having said that my hair was limper and needed to be washed oftener and I would not be totally convinced that it does not damage your hair at all as the ends of my hair are dry ( this may be down to regular colouring and stying though). I would consider getting the 12 week blowdry again but I will let my hair return to its natural state for now and maybe wait until next summer if I am going on holidays.

Hi guys,

was just coming onto this to ask how everyone is getting on now and how they are feeling about their hair.

The review I left when I got it done first was true it was amazing but in the last two weeks its just gone horrible. very limp no shine cant straighten it properly at all. I dont know if its because I have been swimming but I have put conditioner in everytime before I go into the pool.

dont think I would get it done again, my hair is impossible to brush when wet since I got it done and just not happy the way it is now. I actually washed it earlier wit head and shoulders to try and get it out!

let me know how it is for ye all xx

'Any person I know got it done has no problem with shininess or lankness as there hair is quite coarse and dry previous to the treatment due to natural causes, overstyling or coloring. I would say to people getting it done to don't let a few bad reviews put you off but talk the treatment over with your hairdresser first.[/quote]'

My hair is coarse dry and over processed. And I did go to a hairdresser who I trust and who I consider excellent at everything else. But I am totally not impressed with the 12 week blow dry. Hair greasy as soon as I wash it, not shiney, def not for me. It works for around four weeks and then not so much. I think that if something sounds too good to be true then it probably is :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭eobphotography

I havent tried it but sounds great, this girl is offering it at €150

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=152381583089

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 emmsyg

Hi All,

Got the 12 week blow dry on Friday. It was brill. I arrived at Dylan Bradshaws Friday morning with my thick curly fizzy hair and came out with smooth silky straight hair!! I have been colouring my hair for 10 years now so It isnt in great condition. I didnt really expect for it to work. They were so nice to me and it was a great relaxing experience. I washed it last night for the first time after the treatment. It was fantastic... I only had to blast it with the hairdryer for 10 mins and it looked like I had just got it done in a salon.I slept on it last night and I move around in my sleep alot and normally wake up with mad curly hair. I just had to throw a brush over it this morning and it was grand. It stayed perfect all day dispite me getting caught in the rain. It is a little lank and greasy but I was told it would be like that for the first week or so. I really am very pleased with it. Totally worth the €250.00!!

I will update again soon,

Emma

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Pgibs

There seems to be alot of confusion over the 12 week blowdry.
    As a salon owner(in mayo) who has just bought in the product i have nothing but positive feedback on it.
    The company the supplies it is not giving it to all salons. i had my reservations about it at the begining.
    I charge 230 euro which includes the shampoo and conditioner.
    The reason it costs so much is that the product itself is pricey so in order to make a profit(which is why i do what i do and hope to achieve!) and the fact that it takes 2 hours to complete is all accounted for in price.
    its a natural treatment which is only designed for frizzy unruly hair. if done in straight good conditoned hair the result will be greasy limp hair. which is why consultation is so important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Holly H

Hi All,

I was thinking about having the twelve week blowdry done so I googled it which brought me to this thread. I have had a problem with thinning hair for a few years now and it's getting really bad at the top of my head and also a bit thin at my temples. I had my thyroid tested and it came back normal. Dermatologist mentioned that it was pattern baldness ( I also suffer from acne,lucky me).I'm not on any medication and I think alot to do with my hair thinning could be down to using a hair straighner as the timeline for my hair thinning and my usage of straighners coincide. This led me to thinking the twelve week blow dry might be a good option for me if I could ditch the straighners for a while. I used to have a thick head of wavy hair,it's now gone to nothing and gets seriously greasy. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Pgibs

hi holly h
    i just read ure thread and as a hairdresser i dont think the 12 week blowdry would be suited for you, at least not until the hair comes back.
    Wella professionals have a product called sp energy serum intensive.
    its a hair serum designed for thinning of hair have many clients with this problem and all have had great results from usage. but like most products its not a quick fix and most be used daily for up to three months. it works by been applied to scalp not hair and it left on not rinsed off. it strenghens the hair folice from within. I would also reccommend folic acid as this helps hair also. the 12 week blowdry is really only designed for very frizzy unruly hair. hope i have been of some help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Holly H

Thanks Krazycuts,

Last week I bought Kerastase densitive food supplement,Redken Hair advance scalp revive shampoo and Redken body full leave in conditioner. Haven't been using them for a week yet and as you were saying it's supposed to take three months at least to notice any difference. I must try that Wella product you mention. I haven't heard any reviews on any of the products I bought,they said in the salon I bought them in that they were supposed to be good,but I guess they have to say that. Thinning hair is destroying though so I hope it works.Thanks for the advice on the 12 week blowdry,doesn't sound like it's suitable for me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Hi Olivia:rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement