Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi price query

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

bk wrote: »
    Well potentially reducing costs will increase demand.

I'm sure the 8202020 crowd are getting far more business now then before.

You will only increase demand with industry wide reductions, otherwise companies are, in the short term getting a slighlty larger slice of the same pie.

I would have no problem with a total fare reform which brought the cost right down if it meant I was alot busier and could compete with other methods of public transport. This would probably serve to rid some of the cowboys form the industry also.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

oisindoyle wrote: »
    I cant sa for certain ,but i would imagine that the person could be a part timer....I know lots and lots of drivers and believe me the vast majority canot afford to buy a new car so your man MUST have a 2nd income ...
    Secondly NO taxi driver wants a barrier to entry as you put it ,,,so get your facts right ...
    Thirdly,the cars that passsed you may have been on their way to a job who knows ,,,
    but anyway your comments are off topic ......

You might wanna put your money where your mouth is! they were protesting outside the regulators' office in town about there being so many taxis on the streets and that they want it stopped, one driver saying "they are handing them out like jelly babies." If they want the regulator to stop handing out taxi licenses they are CREATING a barrier for entry into the taxi market which is ridiculous, so you'd might wanna wise up and get your facts straight.

As for the '09 Merc driver he'd have been about mid 30's and was out at about 2.45 am! As i said he could do the same job with a more efficient punto 1.3l but that's neither here nor there, and his choice but i can't understand his logic when i'm sure he would have been protesting outside the regulators!

By the way, if you are a taxi driver my points aren't a swipe at you personally or anything, but when i see things that these people should ask themselves and take into account before protesting, it infuriates me!

I can't agree with most of your points, but your bang in the bell about this being off topic so if there's nothing more to add to this i'm audi!
    (get it? heh heh!) :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭lost marbles

bk wrote: »
    Well potentially reducing costs will increase demand.

I'm sure the 8202020 crowd are getting far more business now then before.
    just a little pointer on this 820 company .
    ive been picking up passengers on their way home over the last week [two different people who pointed this out ] .they rang for a taxi from 82020 when going out ,the first got the taxi from their house to the exact same spot i picked them up . the fare turned out to be €3 cheaper from my end bring them home thats without me giving any discount or having a call out charge .
    the second was the same except the guy said that his fare into town was nearly €5 dearer than what i asked for on the meter .[same exact journey ,route,]
    if some here think that its just me ." wingeing "then give it a try and see .
    i know the tricks some of these drivers are pulling ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭oisindoyle

You might wanna put your money where your mouth is! they were protesting outside the regulators' office in town about there being so many taxis on the streets and that they want it stopped, one driver saying "they are handing them out like jelly babies." If they want the regulator to stop handing out taxi licenses they are CREATING a barrier for entry into the taxi market which is ridiculous, so you'd might wanna wise up and get your facts straight.

As for the '09 Merc driver he'd have been about mid 30's and was out at about 2.45 am! As i said he could do the same job with a more efficient punto 1.3l but that's neither here nor there, and his choice but i can't understand his logic when i'm sure he would have been protesting outside the regulators!

By the way, if you are a taxi driver my points aren't a swipe at you personally or anything, but when i see things that these people should ask themselves and take into account before protesting, it infuriates me!

I can't agree with most of your points, but your bang in the bell about this being off topic so if there's nothing more to add to this i'm audi!
    (get it? heh heh!) :cool:

The facts of the matter is (and its been said on here ad nauseum that drivers are asking for a moratorium for a period of approx 3 years.(This has also been said and requested by many politcians includeing members of FF..) so that the Gards and others can go and have a proper look at the business and weed out all the illeagal drivers/ cloned cars/ ect ect ....amongst other things..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭jack90210

oisindoyle wrote: »
    The facts of the matter is (and its been said on here ad nauseum that drivers are asking for a moratorium for a period of approx 3 years.(This has also been said and requested by many politcians includeing members of FF..) so that the Gards and others can go and have a proper look at the business and weed out all the illeagal drivers/ cloned cars/ ect ect ....amongst other things..

How very thoughtful of the taxidrivers to be so concerned about illegal drivers etc. :rolleyes: They are only worried about their cash flow and are trying to create a barrier to entry to an unskilled industry. Theres no limit on the amount of window cleaners why should there be on taxi's? The market will find the correct amount.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

jack90210 wrote: »
    How very thoughtful of the taxidrivers to be so concerned about illegal drivers etc. :rolleyes: They are only worried about their cash flow and are trying to create a barrier to entry to an unskilled industry. Theres no limit on the amount of window cleaners why should there be on taxi's? The market will find the correct amount.

I thought we might actually get a civil debate on fares from this thread. Instead more of the same bull****. Thats me out again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭oisindoyle

jack90210 wrote: »

I have to agree with Taxipete ,its the same old Bull sh*t ,,,,Perhaps Jack you should RE READ what I said .......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭Terrontress

i know the tricks some of these drivers are pulling ;)

Tell us what they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭lost marbles

Tell us what they are.
    EH ! i think ill leave it to the likes to find their tricks out for yourselves [the hard way ;)]
    now i dont use any of them myself but as this thread has decended into another taxi bashing exercise .i am not going to make any furter comments
    same old ,same old ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The price on the meter is the maximum you have to pay. You are free to haggle with the driver and the driver is free to accept anything below the fare indicated on the meter. That is up to him. He cannot charge over what is on the meter.

Even the taxi regulator has advised people to haggle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

Yeah the taxi regulator advised people to haggle and she was the one who gave the go-ahead for the fare increase.

I am a taxi driver and I work in the west of Ireland. I have people trying to haggle with me over fares that when put up on the meter can come to anything between 15 and 20 euros and they want it for a tenner. I politely tell them to get lost. Pay whats on the meter and I do round down a bit but no way now am I rounding down fares by a fiver or more.

Remember this regulator wants a top class service. With the way things are going and people out of work taxi driving in the west has become a weekend job and nobody is going out during the week. By 2012 we are all supposed to have no less than 03 cars. Dont know where we are going to get the money to pay for these newer cars.

EH ! i think ill leave it to the likes to find their tricks out for yourselves [the hard way ;)]
    now i dont use any of them myself but as this thread has decended into another taxi bashing exercise .i am not going to make any furter comments
    same old ,same old ,

Taxi drivers are constantly stating that they want to remove the bad apples from the barrel, improve the industry as a whole etc.

You claim to have information which will help consumers see that they are being taken for a ride but you refuse to pass it on?

Even if you don't wish to help strangers on a public forum you could look at it from a selfish point of view and say that you will enable the people on here to see that other drivers can offer as good service as 202020, thereby increasing your own business.

So will you tell us their tricks?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Taxi drivers are constantly stating that they want to remove the bad apples from the barrel, improve the industry as a whole etc.

You claim to have information which will help consumers see that they are being taken for a ride but you refuse to pass it on?

Even if you don't wish to help strangers on a public forum you could look at it from a selfish point of view and say that you will enable the people on here to see that other drivers can offer as good service as 202020, thereby increasing your own business.

So will you tell us their tricks?

wouldnt it be slander if he started to post what he thinks the 8202020 guys get up to????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭jack90210

The guy who is saying the 8202020 crowd are overcharging is lying I think, trying to slander them on a public forum by laying seeds of doubt with nothing to back it up. I've got a good few journeys with them and it is always cheaper.

As regards people haggling, ALWAYS do it before you get in the taxi and make sure you sign the piece of paper they have. My trick is to go to the end of the rank and hail a taxi who looks like there about to join it (and face at least an hour wait) and they are way more likely to take a discount fare then the guys at the top.

kceire wrote: »
    wouldnt it be slander if he started to post what he thinks the 8202020 guys get up to????

I'd say 202020 themselves would be keen to know what they are up to if their drivers are using tricks to undermine the discounts they have spent fortunes in promoting.

In stating some of them are acting in an underhand manner he has already defamed them enough anyway.

But I would have thought he'd do his best to ensure boardsies do not get caught out by unscrupulous taxi drivers working for 202020 or any other firm.

I'd say 202020 themselves would be keen to know what they are up to if their drivers are using tricks to undermine the discounts they have spent fortunes in promoting.

In stating some of them are acting in an underhand manner he has already defamed them enough anyway.

But I would have thought he'd do his best to ensure boardsies do not get caught out by unscrupulous taxi drivers working for 202020 or any other firm.

yeah suppose, but the main points to watch out for are the same as using any other taxi :
    1. make suire they go the most direct route or a route that you specify.
    2. make sure the enter the correct amount on the meter at the start and end of the journey to include extras etc etc

thats the only way they can really screw you to be honest, its the only manual input the drivers have, route, extras and initial charge.

kceire wrote: »
    yeah suppose, but the main points to watch out for are the same as using any other taxi :
    1. make suire they go the most direct route or a route that you specify.
    2. make sure the enter the correct amount on the meter at the start and end of the journey to include extras etc etc

thats the only way they can really screw you to be honest, its the only manual input the drivers have, route, extras and initial charge.

Yeah, you are right there.

I just thought when he says he knows tricks that he refuses to pass on that it may be something more interesting like fitting different sized wheels or reprogramming the meter.

Who knows, maybe he is up to the same game himself, which is why he won't give it away!

Yeah, you are right there.

I just thought when he says he knows tricks that he refuses to pass on that it may be something more interesting like fitting different sized wheels or reprogramming the meter.

Who knows, maybe he is up to the same game himself, which is why he won't give it away!
    Fitting smaller wheels will make the journey longer on the meter. Very sneaky.

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Fitting smaller wheels will make the journey longer on the meter. Very sneaky.

the meter is wired into your gearbox sensor or speed sensor....would that make a diference?

Yep the size of the wheels would determine the rate of rotation of the gears. It would cause the gears to rotate faster for a given distance.

• Advertisement

Yep the size of the wheels would determine the rate of rotation of the gears. It would cause the gears to rotate faster for a given distance.

It would also increase the mileage of the car, making it worth less!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

When you go to get rid of a taxi they are to all purposes worthless anyway....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭tv3

Oh and remember taxi drivers dont make a weeks wage...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Meters are not wired to gearboxes; they are connected via a sensor to the driving wheels at the front. The meter is programmed to react to amounts of pulses from the sensor; if the wheel turns over a set amount then the fare raises on distance while when it falls below a certain speed the meter reverts to time. There is a few tricks out there to fiddle the sensor but be assured, they are rare

Hamndegger wrote: »
    Meters are not wired to gearboxes; they are connected via a sensor to the driving wheels at the front. The meter is programmed to react to amounts of pulses from the sensor; if the wheel turns over a set amount then the fare raises on distance while when it falls below a certain speed the meter reverts to time. There is a few tricks out there to fiddle the sensor but be assured, they are rare

Is putting on a larger than average wheel for your test and a smaller than average for normal work one of them?)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Is putting on a larger than average wheel for your test and a smaller than average for normal work one of them?)

If you were to do that, you compromise road grip (and hence safety) as well as fuel usage; this would jump with incorrect wheels and tyres fitted.

changes in grip and fuel economy have hardly put off the half a million other people who have changed to wheels different to those which the car comes with.

Advertisement