Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi price query

Options
  • 10-05-2009 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭

I got a taxi from Raheny to Blanchardstown this morning (around 8:15) and was shocked at the price. I got him to print me up a receipt, here is the info.

Fare €42.25
    Extras 2.00
    Duration 31mins
    Distance 23.5km

Is this normal or am I worrying over nothing ? One things for sure, I wont be getting any more taxis from Raheny to Blanch!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

what was the extra for,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Doesn't sound far wrong. The meter ticks while sitting in traffic too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Woods Girl

sounds about right. A taxi from QBar to Celrbidge (25 mins drive at 3 in the morning) is around 40euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Sounds about right to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

mikemac wrote: »
    Sounds about right to me

It might be correct but that doesn't make it right.

:confused:
    What's wrong with my post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

The OP asked if it's normal and it is about normal depending on traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

The 2 euro extra is the call out charge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭jack90210

Call 8202020 in future and save 20%!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

"Fare €42.25
    Extras 2.00
    Duration 31mins
    Distance 23.5km"

And they earn below minimum wage how exactly..? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,851 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

on the other end of the scale, I managed to get from the city centre to greystones for €30 on Saturday night (its about €60 on the meter).

Well worth haggling with the drivers these days (not having been in town on a Saturday night for a while, I couldn't believe the amount of cabs on the street).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

loyatemu wrote: »
    on the other end of the scale, I managed to get from the city centre to greystones for €30 on Saturday night (its about €60 on the meter).

Well worth haggling with the drivers these days (not having been in town on a Saturday night for a while, I couldn't believe the amount of cabs on the street).

You can haggle with taxi drivers ?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Tusky wrote: »

You can, yeah. It's best done with a longer trip such as the one your initial post was about as it's a decent run for driver and passenger alike and it's more likely to be taken on :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭oisindoyle

Tusky wrote: »
    You can haggleall you like but the price on the meter is the price you pay ..Taxi drivers do not have any say in price structures thats the TR "job"...Im kind of sick of people thinking they can haggle with taxi drivers...
    Just to point out to you ,,,Taxi drivers have bills to pay as well so why should any taxi driver give a discounted price...If you go into a bar and your pint is 5.40 YOU PAY 5.40 ...if you go to Marks and Sparks and a jacket is 60 euro YOU PAY 60 euro .......
    Taxi drivers are indeed earing less than the minimum wage ,that fare your taxi driver for from Raheny to Blanch was probably his/her best fare all week ..given that most days drivers average fares amount to 3 to 4 on a 12 hour shift ...believe it or not ,,its dire for drivers out there

loyatemu wrote: »

The driver was a worse fool for doing it .30 euro to Greystones is ridiculous when you consider the driver comes back into the city empty...I know lots of drivers who wouldnt lower themselves .They have bills to pay

oisindoyle wrote: »
    The driver was a worse fool for doing it .30 euro to Greystones is ridiculous when you consider the driver comes back into the city empty...I know lots of drivers who wouldnt lower themselves .They have bills to pay

Whatever about a discount, but a 50% one? With you on that, Oisin.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 scooby the dog

dont know anything about taxi prices in dublin but was in city last saturday week morning
    parked van in heuston station car park mist luas next one in 9 min.. so i said f...it ill walk to georges street arcade n or round 15 #20 minutes it took

had to get a taxi back was charged 16.00 euro for 6 minutes approx

was i ripped off ( i think so )

dont know anything about taxi prices in dublin but was in city last saturday week morning
    parked van in heuston station car park mist luas next one in 9 min.. so i said f...it ill walk to georges street arcade n or round 15 #20 minutes it took

Should be around €8-€10 for that run in that time unless you were held in traffic and you have the time in the car wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,851 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

they're not going to pay any bills sitting at a rank going nowhere, or driving up and down dame st. repeatedly. Out to stones and back is about 50 mins driving - if he'd stayed in town for that 50 mins he might have picked up 2 €15 fares, or he might have picked up no fares at all - either way, a bird in the hand is better...

in a similar story, I got a cab out to Citywest a few weeks back to do a job - the cabbie offered to wait for the fare back even though I'd told him it could take an hour or more. Sure enough when I came out an hour later he was still there, with the meter off.

Tough times for cab drivers but the law of supply and demand still applies and the meter fare is only a maximum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭Terrontress

If you go into a bar and your pint is 5.40 YOU PAY 5.40 ...if you go to Marks and Sparks and a jacket is 60 euro YOU PAY 60 euro .......

The difference there is that the cashier in Marks and the barman in the pub don't have the authority to give a discount.

With a taxi driver, you are talking to the person who makes the decisions so why not haggle?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

are your sure?
    georges street to Heuston station....€16, that must be a mistake. theres no way in hell the meter would reach €16 for that journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

You can haggleall you like but the price on the meter is the price you pay ..Taxi drivers do not have any say in price structures thats the TR "job"...Im kind of sick of people thinking they can haggle with taxi drivers...
    Just to point out to you ,,,Taxi drivers have bills to pay as well so why should any taxi driver give a discounted price...If you go into a bar and your pint is 5.40 YOU PAY 5.40 ...if you go to Marks and Sparks and a jacket is 60 euro YOU PAY 60 euro .......
    Taxi drivers are indeed earing less than the minimum wage ,that fare your taxi driver for from Raheny to Blanch was probably his/her best fare all week ..given that most days drivers average fares amount to 3 to 4 on a 12 hour shift ...believe it or not ,,its dire for drivers out there

First things first, I do have sympathy for some hardworking taxi drivers however when I see one (like I did 2 weeks ago) driving a 2.3l '09 Mercedes, how do they expect to earn above minimum wage?? It doesn't take a genius to know a more economical car will be more fuel efficient and cost effective!

Not only that but another weekend gone, myself and 3 other friends (all lads) tried to get a taxi just at Christchurch to Greenhills and several taxis (with light on and no passengers in car) drive straight past despite us trying to pull him over! you might say they cannot be psychic but we weren't going to run and not pay, does that mean they cannot trust any group off lads..? well then no wonder they find it financially difficult out there!!!

then they want a barrier to entry on their Industry because there's too many Taxis out there? What do they expect? they are in an industry that requires NO education and one small qualification! Why don't we put a ban on 3rd level Education when all the jobs are gone in a particular industry too? I'm sorry but their psyche is completely ludicrous....

*takes deep intake of air :p

First things first, I do have sympathy for some hardworking taxi drivers however when I see one (like I did 2 weeks ago) driving a 2.3l '09 Mercedes, how do they expect to earn above minimum wage?? It doesn't take a genius to know a more economical car will be more fuel efficient and cost effective!

Not only that but another weekend gone, myself and 3 other friends (all lads) tried to get a taxi just at Christchurch to Greenhills and several taxis (with light on and no passengers in car) drive straight past despite us trying to pull him over! you might say they cannot be psychic but we weren't going to run and not pay, does that mean they cannot trust any group off lads..? well then no wonder they find it financially difficult out there!!!

then they want a barrier to entry on their Industry because there's too many Taxis out there? What do they expect? they are in an industry that requires NO education and one small qualification! Why don't we put a ban on 3rd level Education when all the jobs are gone in a particular industry too? I'm sorry but their psyche is completely ludicrous....

*takes deep intake of air :p

I cant sa for certain ,but i would imagine that the person could be a part timer....I know lots and lots of drivers and believe me the vast majority canot afford to buy a new car so your man MUST have a 2nd income ...
    Secondly NO taxi driver wants a barrier to entry as you put it ,,,so get your facts right ...
    Thirdly,the cars that passsed you may have been on their way to a job who knows ,,,
    but anyway your comments are off topic ......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭jack90210

Taxi's in Ireland are far too expensive supply far outstrips demand so haggling for mid distance journeys is easily done and make sure you sign the form they have and they can't charge whats on the meter. Or just ring the 20% off 8202020 (I think its 25% at the bank holiday). I think its hilarious all the taxi drivers moaning about this and that, why enter an unskilled overcrowed industry and then moan about earning no money!!

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭todolist

€1.40 a minute.Someone is having a laugh.No wonder nobody uses taxis unless they have to.Dublin is a village compared to most major cities.Taxis are way overpriced in this village.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

todolist wrote: »
    €1.40 a minute.Someone is having a laugh.No wonder nobody uses taxis unless they have to.Dublin is a village compared to most major cities.Taxis are way overpriced in this village.

Well if you think they are overpriced why dont you write to the regulator and complain. She was the one who put up the bloody fares in November last :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

todolist wrote: »

You will find the cost of Taxis is reflective of the cost of running a taxi. .How do you balance the need for a driver to run his business and make a living in one of the most expensive cities in the world with the public demand for lower prices?? If the price of fuel comes down significantly then a price decrease would be warranted. Cars coming down in price is mostly irrelevant as very few drivers could obtain the finance in the present circumstances.

Just a point about a driver with an 09 Merc. You may find that he also provides a corporate chauffeur service. This was definatly a profitable sideline for those that could afford the car, but I would imagine the demand has lessened with the current economic climate.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Taxipete29 wrote: »
    You will find the cost of Taxis is reflective of the cost of running a taxi. .How do you balance the need for a driver to run his business and make a living in one of the most expensive cities in the world with the public demand for lower prices??

Well potentially reducing costs will increase demand.

I'm sure the 8202020 crowd are getting far more business now then before.

• Advertisement

Possibly he is retired and does a few hours of taxi driving a couple days a week to earn some money and pass some time.
    Probably doesn't work nights either and certainly doesn't rely on taxi driving as their sole income.

Maybe I'm making an assumption here, it's just what I think the drivers background might be.

Advertisement