Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 80s thread!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I remember my mums golf gti good wood :cool::D
    I remember my dads golf gti :D:cool:
    I remember my mums renult 5 turbo.....:D:cool:

i remember that mad storm we got, live aid, dogey cloths
    seeing these two kids walking past fiat in blanch in shorts and it pissing rain :pac:

I remember walking out my dad old house on merrion square :)...
    i remember my mum whiping are faces with a tissue that she licked :mad: drove me nut's....

Oh and the snow we got in 82... :cool:
    i remember the first song I ever heard pinkfloyd another brick in the wall...
    bosco :mad:, bmx's and all that sort of stufff :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

• Snorkel jackets.
    • Sprints runners from Dunnes Stores - who needs Nike.
    • Soda-stream - worst invention ever, got screwed out of proper Coca-Cola for years over that piece of junk.
    • By the power of Grayskull!
    • Care Bear Stair
    • Fortycoats, Slightly bonkers, etc.
    • The Magic Door - Knock, knock open wide, see what's on the other side.
    • Being brought to that old ice cream place in the Ilac Centre as a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

gurramok wrote: »
    Don't forget the chomp bars!!

Smiley bars were much better. Good times when you could buy a packet of frosties for 10p.

Who framed Roger Rabbit?

Oh the memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

The 1984 Dublin earthquake that shook us to the core :D

and the guy on o connell bridge the next day selling t/shirts with "I survived the Dublin earthquake"on them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

pebbles21 wrote: »
    The 1984 Dublin earthquake that shook us to the core :D

and the guy on o connell bridge the next day selling t/shirts with "I survived the Dublin earthquake"on them

You are joking? Never heard of that. Anybody else hear of it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

"Northside, Northside, the great great shopping centre!"

The Greatest American Hero ("believe it or not I'm walking on air...": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9Q3orQhEcA)

Jim Diamond 'I should have known Better' from 1984

Wall Street, the movie

Glenn Close as Michael Douglas's bunny-boiling (?) stalker in the classic Fatal Attraction

Hurricane Charlie and the red faces of the TV weathermen who said it was going to be a great day!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Rebelheart wrote: »
    "Northside, Northside, the great great a dangerous shopping centre!"

fixed that for you Rebelheart ;)

Spike Island and the prisoners driving around on the diggers with one of them quipping when interviewed for Today Tonight : "much better than the beemers back in Dublin"

Ben Dunne's kidnapping

Dessie O'Hare, the "border fox", cutting off the dentist John O'Grady's finger and sending it when he was not given the ransom money he demanded

The Birmingham Six and Guildford Four being released

Nelson Mandela being released

Thatcher & the war in the Malvinas/Falklands

marcsignal wrote: »
    fixed that for you Rebelheart ;)

hehehe ;)

• Advertisement

The snow!

Who remembers the massive snow in January 1982? I think every kid in Ireland was sick of it after the first week. Everybody old enough was saying it was even worse than the big snow of 1947 (there's one for you).

A scene from it is now on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Afss7QL4wAc

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Plastic raincoats with fish sealed in the pockets, I cant be the only one who had one of these?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Atlantic 252

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

You are joking? Never heard of that. Anybody else hear of it?

yeah its true think it was bout 2.1 on the richter scale lasted bout 10 seconds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭magenta73

Adam and the ants!!!!!!!!!!!!
    prince charming!!!!!!!!!!
    I knew the whole dance!!!!!!!!!

I am sad:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭dny123456

The Macintosh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

magenta73 wrote: »
    Adam and the ants!!!!!!!!!!!!
    prince charming!!!!!!!!!!
    I knew the whole dance!!!!!!!!!

I am sad:D

Goody too shoes! *points repeatedly at magenta73*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

I was born in 1980, so I remember very little. I have vague memories of the Miner's Strike (not even sure if they're real memories). I remember Margaret Thatcher tearing apart the country, a boom and bust economy, terrible fashion (shell suits, ffs), and being a Liverpudlian, I remember the Hillsborough Disaster very clearly, despite only being 9 years old.

I don't understand all this nostalgia for the '80s. My memories are pretty bleak, despite it being my childhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭johnny_knoxvile

Lots of helicopters in the 80's, Blue Thunder & Air Wolf... Does anyone else remember Street Hawk (a dude in bondage gear driving a motorbike)?

Over gassing your drink with the Soda Stream and generally getting busy with the fizzy.

Tape decks and ghetto blasters (for thoughs of you in D4, thats not a weapon for defending yourself if you accidently stray as far as the Ilac Centre).

Manaquin, Ghost Busters, Gremlins, Supergirl, Back to The Future. Fame, A-Team, Different Strokes.

Well thats what i remember of it.

Oh and i nearly forgot, does anyone recall the RADIO WATCH crazy, a wrist watch with ear phones you plugged into it, Awsome.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Over gassing your drink with the Soda Stream and generally getting busy with the fizzy.

Soda Stream were legend! We never had one, but everybody else seemed to have them and filled the fizzy bottle up. Sandwich makers were also a gift of the 1980s. Also, Easi Singles Smoked cheese slices which have not been on the shelves since about 1988!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

I will be eternally bitter that I was only alive for about 5 months of the '80s.

Just as well the music is timeless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭Disease Ridden

Something I was pondering earlier on...when the lotto first started in 1988, how big did the £250,000 jackpot seem to people? Compared to a good wage back then, was it still massive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

whopper hoppers and space hoppers id love a space hopper now...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Almost everything on this web page. Along with classic films like The Goonies (last time I saw it on RTE, they censored Mouth's drug references!), The Dark Crystal, Willow etc. There's a shop near me which still sells refresher bars, frosties etc. :D

Edit: Can't believe I forgot The Neverending Story, Flight of the Navigator and The Last Starfighter!

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭conor-mr2

Does anyone else remember Street Hawk (a dude in bondage gear driving a motorbike)?

Yup classic! And Manimal!

I know its still around but I remember having lots of Lego and always wanting the red electric train and an automatic level crossing. Never got one.

I also remember me talking about wanting a transformer and my uncle turning up one day with a transformer for me.. oh the joy I thought but the b*stard brought me a proper electric transformer. OH how my dad and uncle laughed. I've never forgiven him.

Im off to look at brickset.com!

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

Sizzlers runners from Penneys
    Roms, beetle crushers, Docs
    Parkas
    Orange double decker buses
    CND
    Top of the Pops, Non Stop Pop
    Supercans
    Big Ed loves Mona ads - pre-curser to Mona yoghurt drinks
    Bazooka Gum, Bubble Yum, Bubbleicious
    Loop the loops, Golly Bars, Chilli willis, Wibbly Wobbly Wonders, Brunches, That-A-Ways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Tea Spoon

I don't understand all this nostalgia for the '80s. My memories are pretty bleak, despite it being my childhood.

That's perhaps why then.

On the subject of Soda Streams, I can still hear that noise of the gas filling the bottle in my head to this day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

The snow!

Who remembers the massive snow in January 1982? I think every kid in Ireland was sick of it after the first week. Everybody old enough was saying it was even worse than the big snow of 1947 (there's one for you).

A scene from it is now on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Afss7QL4wAc

I don't remember it (only 2) but aparently we moved house the second week and the heating didn't work in the new house. My mam was traumatised with two babies going blue!! :)

On the Met Eireann Website, they say the coldest temperature of the 20 century was that January, -19 in Kilkenny!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Summer in 1987 - homebrew wine - a tenner made gallons of the stuff and it took 3 weeks. You also had hopsacks for homebrew beer.

The 87 - pretentuious little gutrot.

Ah the memories -naht. Cant remember a thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Wanting a BMX but getting a Grifter.
    Going to the cinema to watch Popeye, starring Robin Wiliams.
    The Goonies / The Untouchables.
    Where in the world with theresa lowe. I wonder how she looks now?
    The muppet show / wackey races.
    George the animal steel / macho man randy savage and the lovely miss elizebeth.
    Atari 2600. Moon Patrol / Pole Position / Dig Dug.

Advertisement