Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 80s thread!

Options

Comments

Rebelheart wrote: »
    Time bars were the pink rectangular ones that you chewed, or were they Wham! bars?

Refreshers were great as my Dad used to lose his temper and say "Oh Boy, give me patience!" and I'd take out my Refresher sweet that said "Oh Boy!" and hand it to him. hehe.

time bars were in a yellow wrapper, a hard bit chunk of hard fudge covered chocolate stuff. Tasty. Still around too I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The Hoff before he was the The Hoff, Kitt and Knight Rider.

A Team, Remington Steele, Miami Vice, Young Ones etc.

Music was mostly crap.

Life was mostly crap.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Ahh the 80ts

Walking the mile home from school kicking a stone along the way ...and taking almost an hour to get there.

Mr Freezes at the football match..if you were lucky. Remember your mouth would turn blue?

Long hot summers (cant remember the rain), the hay, the fecking bog, flasks of tea and runny salad sandwiches.

Never being allowed to watch Dallas! Saturday night baths and being marched to mass on a Sunday.

Mullets, bad clothes and no money

2 TV channels and Atari...... Happy Happy days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

sub-x wrote: »
    Jaysus Kim Wilde was my first crush ;)

Bananarama oooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭Lirange

Goonies never say die.

Jacko wasn't so wacko.

Victoria Principal. nyom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭O.A.P

What themadchef said and then getting the bus to London because there was nothing for us here. Nevermind I enjoied London

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

The_Coon wrote: »
    They were Wham bars.
    Then you had every parent's nightmare - Stinger bars (containing the dreaded E123).

Don't forget the chomp bars!!

Funny how we are in a recession where good music is re-occurring plus those mullet hairstyles, timewarp, ironic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

deja vu.

K-9 wrote: »

Music was mostly crap.

David Bowie - Ashes to Ashes _Scary Monsters LP
    The Proclaimers - I Wanna Be -500 miles - Letter to America
    Talking Heads -Stop Making Sense -Psycho Killer -Little Creatures
    Rolling Stones in Slane - Bruce and Born in the USA
    Hothose Flowers & Dont Go at the Eurovision
    Robert Palmer -Addicted to Love the band wore black G strings -VPL free days arrive

Tom & Fitz have Hairy Arse(Tribute to Bonos Mullet) competition at the Sundial in UL when drunk after coming to the realisation that they loved U2 only when drunk after the Joshua Tree arrives. Toms arse looses.

Slade make Stadium comeback.

Best of all -the men in beards ZZ TOP - Eliminator - Gimme All Yer Lovin- if ya didnt get the Quo ya got this.

My 80s rocked.

CDfm wrote: »
    David Bowie - Ashes to Ashes _Scary Monsters LP
    The Proclaimers - I Wanna Be -500 miles - Letter to America
    Talking Heads -Stop Making Sense -Psycho Killer -Little Creatures
    Rolling Stones in Slane - Bruce and Born in the USA
    Hothose Flowers & Dont Go at the Eurovision
    Robert Palmer -Addicted to Love the band wore black G strings -VPL free days arrive

Tom & Fitz have Hairy Arse(Tribute to Bonos Mullet) competition at the Sundial in UL when drunk after coming to the realisation that they loved U2 only when drunk after the Joshua Tree arrives. Toms arse looses.

Slade make Stadium comeback.

Best of all -the men in beards ZZ TOP - Eliminator - Gimme All Yer Lovin- if ya didnt get the Quo ya got this.

My 80s rocked.

Exceptions to the rule, considering it's a decade of music.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

The Stardust.:mad:
    No explanation needed.
    RIP

Exceptions to the rule, considering it's a decade of music.

Daniel O'Donnell is that you:D

The Stardust.:mad:
    No explanation needed.
    RIP

Hillsborough, Heysel, Bradford City fire etc. Jaysus, football off the pitch has improved, if not on it. Drogba wouldn't last a sec.
    Daniel O'Donnell is that you:D

LOL. Stones hardly qualifies as 80's.

80's in Ireland, yes! :pac:

Bowie is timeless, decades don't count.

PS. I'll give you Talking Heads and the Robert Palmer Palmer video! WOW! I was 15!

Oh and who mentioned Kim Wilde! Babe!

LOL. Stones hardly qualifies as 80's.

They did Slane.

Ya had Live Aid and Phil Lynott died.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

sub-x wrote: »
    Jaysus Kim Wilde was my first crush ;)
    Oh mine too, oh what a woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

If you were a child in the 80s, this video will bring back memories:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭magenta73

:Dleg warmers and box jackets with diamond ear rings!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

The economy was healthier and people dressed better.

According to everything that I read in the newspapers this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Mullet hairstyles, perms and Pat Butcher style earrings.

American music had a stronger influence in those days, thanks to MTUSA which was replaced by Finding Fax Future in 1987/88 (anybody remember this - there was no presenter, each song would be introduced by members of the public off the streets of Dublin or Cork).
    I remember these songs in particular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIgEuZakXsc
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c3cby1M7x8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwtKgowUyfY

Jeans with turn-ups, ankle boots with folds at the top, t-shirts with loud designs.

Girl magazine and Suzy for girls aged 10-14, followed by Jackie and My Guy, then Just Seventeen.

Smash Hits for the song words, and latest info on pop stars. Waiting all day for your favourite song to come on the radio so you could tape it onto cassette, then the DJ would talk all over it!

Oh, I loved the 80s:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

kelle wrote: »
    Jeans with turn-ups, ankle boots with folds at the top, t-shirts with loud designs.

Jeans with turn-ups were a godsend for the mammies of the 80s as the trousers would last a couple of years longer!

I used to look fierce cool as I went off to me roller disco (!!!) with me hair gelled up with super cool Brylcreem and my Dingo jeans turned up at the bottom.

• Advertisement

...and if you wanted to be really cool you had to get 14 hole docmartens and put the studded belt on you, and studded strap around both of your arms underneath your geansaí sleeve. Then have another studded strap for both your fists (which you kept in your pockets) so when the fight broke out you'd be suckin' diesel and take on anybody who quipped "you and whose army?" to you. Yes, and these halcyon days were set against songs like 'I fought the law and the law won', or anything by The Clash, SLF and The Pogues. Not forgetting the "mooners" out the back of the car to traffic behind you at 2am!

Then again, not everybody had the privilege of being at this most sophisticated cutting edge of Irish youth culture in the 1980s.:)

Agamemnon wrote: »
    If you were a child in the 80s, this video will bring back memories:

Unforgettable song - but some of us didn't actually have a TV and if we did we were in an elite if we had more than two stations! My parents hired a portable TV for the day when the Pope came to Ireland and left it with us when they went off to the Phoenix Park - but that was an even earlier decade.

Although I do remember the Hype around the Genesis Land of Confusion video in 1986 which had Spitting Image faces in it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq7FKO5DlV0

Rebelheart wrote: »

I used to look fierce cool as I went off to me roller disco (!!!) with me hair gelled up with super cool Brylcreem and my Dingo jeans turned up at the bottom.

dingo jeans -whatever happened them.

Levi 501s were wot i wore

Also had some awful dayglo coloured jumpers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Aidric wrote: »
    Did Gerry Ryan have a turkey neck back in the 80's?

No, just a brass 'un.

The economy was healthier and people dressed better.

According to everything that I read in the newspapers this week.

Mar dhéa! The economy was absolutely ****e and 7 of my older brothers and sisters fled this kleptocratic hole.(Yes, we also had proper family sizes in those days!)

How apt that Brian Lenihan dedicated his recent budget to his father, also Brian Lenihan, the man who quipped "that's good; let them go" when questioned about the huge amount of people who were fleeing this country. That went down like a lead balloon with my parents.

But we did win the Eurovision - twice! (Johnny Logan rocks!)

And at 2.36pm in June 1988 Ray Houghton put the goal in the English net - for years I had the t-shirt with the time on it! That did wonders for the national spirit.

And Stephen Roche won the Tour de France in 1987!

And Dennis Taylor won the snooker world championship by beating Steve Davis in 1985 - and for that my whole remaining family were in a relation's house until it finished early the following morning. Amazing television and the tension made it one of the best sports events ever on tv.

No, just a brass 'un.

when he was one of the kids.

I saw the Ramones in the TV club during the week and the Memories (anyone remember them) down country that weekend.

Gina Dale Haze and the Champions -where are you know. I cut my elbow at a festival in Ardmore Co Waterford and Gina come off stage with the first aid kit and anticeptic put a plaster on it. :D

dingo jeans -whatever happened them.

Levi 501s were wot i wore

Also had some awful dayglo coloured jumpers

Levi 501s were definitely for posh people, especially the 501s with the buttons! Somebody had to pay for those brilliants ads - 'When a Man Loves a Woman' by Percy Sledge. Haven't heard it for years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Levi 501s, hmm....... remember this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT4DR_ae_4o

Only problem was, this followed and tarnished his image forever....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wvA96rhkIg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

The_Coon wrote: »
    They were Wham bars.
    Then you had every parent's nightmare - Stinger bars (containing the dreaded E123).

You needed to eat x number in a minute to be sure of getting cancer iirc. :D

Advertisement