Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BTEA

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 fifibibi

does anyone know how much exactly would you get if you got btea? do you not claim unemployment benefit then and would all your fees be paid?

They give you 500euro once off payment within the first month of college, its an extra payment for books and other expenses.

They dont pay fees. apply for a grant that should sort out fees.

Go to www.Qualifax.ie and they have a grant calculator on their website.
    It's very good.

My advice to anyone on this board thinking of returning to education is to be ten steps ahead of yourself, plan months in advance and save like a *(&*(*&* for a few months before you start and if you can work part time so you have some income to fall back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Lougrass

anybody know if you are claiming part time dole, like just working 3days a week, can you still claim for BTEA? Have checked out some of the links posted in this forum but nothing seems to clarify that.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭silasrat

hi all, just sharing my experience as some of you may be in a similar situation, I was made redundant iin january and have a place in college in september but would only be 8 months on the bob dole by then,but i was out of work for a month last summer between jobs and they can add that in to get you up to the nine month mark for the btea..... download the forms from www.welfare.ie and get an appointment with your local jobs facilitator and they'll sort you out........

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭B1977

You can also qualify for BTEA if you:

are aged between 18 and 20 years,
    are out of formal education for two years, and
    getting one of the following social welfare payments for at least,
    6 months (156 days) for the Second Level Option
    12 months (312 days) for the Third Level Option
    Jobseeker's Allowance or Jobseeker's Benefit, or
    One-Parent Family Payment.
    If you have been awarded Statutory Redundancy, you may access the BTEA Scheme. However, you must first establish an entitlement to a Social Welfare payment, before starting an approved course of study.

* Note:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 rocketballs

Hi All,

Wondering if somebody can help? can the job facilitator decide if u can get BTEA if he recommends you for a course. I am on job seekers since october, however FAS recommended i do industrial automation course, which i am currently doing. I have an engineering degree already, and have been accepted to masters course, engineering again this september. I will most probably by the skin of my teeth make the higher education grant from the VEC for my course fees only, and the lady on the phone from the VEC recommended i pursue the BTEA. however from more research ive noticed its only H.Dip or for teachers for a postgraduate course. Is there no other way of getting this BTEA if i wish to return to study for a postgraduate masters?

if this is the case, is there any other financial support?. Like most other people, I have bills to pay and i wouldnt be able to afford to do my masters if this is the case. i would find it bizarre that the government/social welfare/FAS would rather i collected the dole instead of furthering my education to increase my chances of coming off the live register. any help would be immensly appreciated as i am really beginning to get confused by all this sometimes misleading information.

btw, i am 26 living with parents and i graduated in 2006

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 albundy1

Hi,

Does anybody know will the Facilitator look at each case and use their own disceretion to decide on a case, depending on how strong an argument you have ie. Short days could an allowance be made or how much you want the course?? Would this be taken in to consideration.

My local Facilitator has told me he will consider letting me in if Im short on days, closer to the time depending on how strong an argument a candidate can put forward ...

Has anybody got experience of similar situation???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 tonywanda

Got my letter saying I qualified for the BTEA today. Finally!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭DenMan

I got a call yesterday (6pm ish) by the Social Welfare asking me what date I am starting back. I hope they will be contacting all you guys soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭googlehead

tonywanda wrote: »
    Got my letter saying I qualified for the BTEA today. Finally!!

Brilliant, When did you leave the form in for BTEA? I only left mine in last week.
    I really need this as I have a mortgage otherwise I will be sitting and home getting into more debt:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 tonywanda

googlehead wrote: »
    Brilliant, When did you leave the form in for BTEA? I only left mine in last week.
    I really need this as I have a mortgage otherwise I will be sitting and home getting into more debt:(

Around mid- July after I got accepted

• Advertisement
Advertisement