Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BTEA

Options
  • 07-05-2009 11:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi All

I went to the local college today to check out courses for mature students who were made redundant...

I found one, and i signed up. i will know next week if i have been accepted. This course has been designed for people who have been made redundant, has 140 places and the lecturers are all giving their time for free so there is no fees.

They said they would give me a letter for the social welfare.. Will i be entitled to the BTEA? It is two days a week course for 2 years. I am currently on jobseekers benefit (the one where you have stamps)

Also sorry for sounding greedy but would i be entitled to a maintenance grant?

Thanks ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

You may be better asking this question on www.askaboutmoney.com

and apply for maintenance grant ......you never know till you apply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Clueless09

thanks for such a speedy reply-will post there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭ditmature

Hi OP,

Whether you get the grant will be largely dependent on whether the college you attend considers the course to be full-time or part-time. It could go either way, given that it's 2 days a week...

Essentially, the grant is not allocated to part-time courses, so if your college doesn't consider the course to be a full-time course you won't get the grant.

Ditto the BTEA - if the course is full-time, you may be eligible for the BTEA (if you have been claiming for 12 straight months, or 9 months with a letter of recommendation from your jobs facilitator, or have been made statutorially redundant). If you fulfil these criteria, then you should get the BTEA.

If the course is considered part-time, you should be able to take it and keep your dole - I would check with your local social welfare office to be sure about that.

What's crucial is that you determine from your college whether the course is full-time or part-time!

Bob

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

ditmature wrote: »
    Hi OP,

Whether you get the grant will be largely dependent on whether the college you attend considers the course to be full-time or part-time. It could go either way, given that it's 2 days a week...

Essentially, the grant is not allocated to part-time courses, so if your college doesn't consider the course to be a full-time course you won't get the grant.

Ditto the BTEA - if the course is full-time, you may be eligible for the BTEA (if you have been claiming for 12 straight months, or 9 months with a letter of recommendation from your jobs facilitator, or have been made statutorially redundant). If you fulfil these criteria, then you should get the BTEA.

If the course is considered part-time, you should be able to take it and keep your dole - I would check with your local social welfare office to be sure about that.

What's crucial is that you determine from your college whether the course is full-time or part-time!

Bob
    Tell me does the course have to be a hdip to be considered for BTEA, as in a Masters course isnt eligible for BTEA.

Hi Chong,

According to the latest SW70 document from the Department of Social & Family Affairs:

The postgraduate option of the BTEA scheme is only for people who wish to take:

* a postgraduate course of study that leads to any Higher Diploma (H. Dip.) qualification or
    * a Postgratuate Diploma in Education (Primary or Secondary teaching).

Other postgraduate qualifications including a Master's degree are not recognised for BTEA purposes.

You will not get the BTEA if you already hold a postgraduate qualification.

Sorry about that.

Bob

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

ditmature wrote: »
    Hi Chong,

According to the latest SW70 document from the Department of Social & Family Affairs:

The postgraduate option of the BTEA scheme is only for people who wish to take:

* a postgraduate course of study that leads to any Higher Diploma (H. Dip.) qualification or
    * a Postgratuate Diploma in Education (Primary or Secondary teaching).

Other postgraduate qualifications including a Master's degree are not recognised for BTEA purposes.

You will not get the BTEA if you already hold a postgraduate qualification.

Sorry about that.

Bob
    Yup , pretty much what I thought, it sucks :(

Hi Bob, thanks for the message. I actually got onto a different course starting in Sept. Delighted with this as it was the one i originally wanted but they did not have space at the time. The course is full time-36 hrs per week so hoepfully ill get the BTEA. I was given statutory redundancy in Nov. Is the jobs facilitator someone who works in social welfare? Only asking because i have app on 28th to talk to someone in FAS regarding courses etc. I am totally confused by the welfare system :confused:
    Can i ask one more thing of you as you seem to be pretty knowlegable on such things-would i be eligible for maintenance grant if i was getting BTEA? I am 27 and i have just moved back to my home county. I am renting a room for €250 off my sis, but my folks cant help me out with funds as my father was made redundant at xmas and is on welfare also and my mother is a homemaker? Thanks a million for the help by the way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 curious-pup

Hi all,

A friend of mine was made redundant in January, is on the dole and is looking for work every day. He has applied to a course which would qualify for BTEA, but if he gets any job between now and Sept does that make him exempt from qualifying for BTEA?? I mean do you have to be continuously on the dole up until the time the course starts to get BTEA?

Thanks for any info you can give - I have tried phoning the department dealing with BTEA and looked online as has my friend but neither of us can find the answer.

Hi Clueless09,

There's nothing to stop you from claiming the grant and the BTEA at the same time, though to check your eligibility etc, click here: http://www.dit.ie/study/mature/support/finance/hegs/

Curious-pup: Yes, you have to be in receipt of your social welfare payment for 12 consecutive months (or 9 months with a written recommendation from your jobs facilitator, unless you have statutory redundancy) prior to starting college, otherwise you won't get the BTEA. Not exactly an incentive to get a job, I know... More info here: http://www.dit.ie/study/mature/support/finance/btea/

• Registered Users Posts: 20 curious-pup

Thanks for that ditmature. Yet another ridiculous rule :mad:

He has applied for a higher education grant also, any idea how long it takes to hear back on whether or not you are successful??

Thanks

• Advertisement

The closing date for grant applications is not until the end of August, so I can't imagine he would hear before that...

Bob

Thanks for all the help Bob:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5 withnail83

Hi All,

I just say the above posts today and I am in a similar situation. I have been searching for work over the last few months without success and am considering going back to college in September but it would be difficult without the btea. I'll be on Jobseeker's Benefit for 11 months at that stage. How strict are they on the 12 months? How do you apply for the 9 month aspect? I haven't been registered at Fas yet. I thought they were supposed to get in touch with me after 3 months but havent gotten anything from them, and havent gotten in touch with them due to the negative reputation they have. Should I join them and will this be the only way that I could apply for btea?

Hi withnail83,

Right now, I would be more concerned with getting a place in college, as the closing date for late applications to the CAO was the 1st of May. Most colleges will not accept an application at this late stage; you may have to wait until next year. The advantage of that is that you'll have plenty of time built up on Jobseeker's Benefit by that time...

Bob

• Registered Users Posts: 5 withnail83

Thanks Ditmature,
    I have identified a course I want and went up to the social welfare to see whether I was entitled to receive the btea and was passed from pillar to post. First I went to get information and to be honest they knew less about it than I do. They actually sent me to Fas because they said that they would be paying it. I knew that was ridiculous but went over anyway to sign up while I was at it. Luckily the woman in Fas knew abit more and told me to make an appointment with the social welfare facilitator and I'd find out for sure whether I was entitled to it or not. I have an appointment for next Thursday. They don't take applications for btea until June/July apparently.

Hi Guys-Im back again.
    Spoke to girl in SW office yesterday (not jobs facilitator as i couldnt get app) and she told me i would not be entitled to BTEA as I was going into 2nd year of a course. She said i had already done 1st year (in 2001) and dropped out and the system is not there to encourage people to drop out and wait a few years so they can go back and get paid!?
    I have been working full time since 2001 and given statutory redundancy before xmas so im not sure if she thought i had some elaborate plan to scam the system or something! ( be a long plan though 8 years in the making!!)
    I am not going into 2nd year of the same course if that makes a difference.
    Does anyone have any advice?
    Many thanks

Hi Clueless09,

I'm going to have to say that I've never heard of that happening before, and must assume that whoever gave you that information was misinformed.

You are not eligible for the BTEA if you have COMPLETED a previous third level programme, but in cases like yours (where you didn't complete the programme), the slate should be effectively "wiped clean" once you have been out of full-time education for 5 years or more.

For example, if you have failed to complete a programme of study, leave college and return 5 or more years later, you ahould qualify for the Higher Education Grant, and many colleges will consider you eligible for the Free Fees Initiative also.

Why this person told you that you wouldn't get the BTEA is beyond me, especially considering that you will be studying a different programme to the one you previously attended.

If you look at page 4 of the BTEA application form (available here: http://www.dit.ie/media/images/study/maturestudents/Back%20To%20Education%20Form.pdf), you will see that if specifically asks for information on any 2nd or 3rd level study that you have completed, not attempted.

If you are entering 2nd year of your new programme, how are you doing it? An advanced entry process because of work experience? Either way, what you were told at the SW office makes no sense to me.

I would apply regardless; worst case scenario is that they deny your application and then you can ask for a written review of your case by the officer in charge of your local SW office.

More information here: http://www.dit.ie/study/mature/support/finance/btea/

And here: http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Publications/SW70/Pages/ABacktoEducationAllowanceBTEA.aspx

Best wishes,

Bob

Hi Bob-thanks for the reply-as always your extremley helpful. i am entering yr 2 of business degree in accountancy.

i am eligbile due to work experience and also I completed IATI-its a two yr night course to be an accounts technician. i paid for this myself at a local VEC. I hope they dont stop me over that.

I will check out all the links you sent me there.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭indiana jones

does anyone know how much exactly would you get if you got btea? do you not claim unemployment benefit then and would all your fees be paid?

Hi Indiana jones-btea is same as jobseekers benefit €204.30 per week. no you cant claim unemployment benefit and go to college. unemployment benefit is jobseekers allowance or jobseekers benefit. If you are in college than you are not job seeking as you are not available to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭indiana jones

thanks for that , im just starting to wade through all the info out there about this.
    i just recently found out that i am being made redundant in july and just trying to decide what to do. i really want to do nursing as a mature student but the application process means it will be september 2010 before i can start. the only way i could do it is by getting some sort of grant so that means i would have to stay on the dole for a whole year in order to qualify. even so i might not qualify as i have already a certificate and diploma. i think i would crack up if i though i would be on the dole for a year but i really want to do it. any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

hi there,

i applied for college, hoping to get accepted. i signed on welfare back in janurary this year.
    i recieved a letter the other day all about btea etc. it says i should contact my local colleges etc to find out about courses. since ive already applied i ignored that part.
    i was wondering, i counted the dates and ill only be on welfare for 8months 2 weeks come the first week in september.
    have they ever bent the rules for this type of situation? or does it have to be exactly 9months+?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Clueless09 wrote: »
    Hi Guys-Im back again.
    Spoke to girl in SW office yesterday (not jobs facilitator as i couldnt get app) and she told me i would not be entitled to BTEA as I was going into 2nd year of a course. She said i had already done 1st year (in 2001) and dropped out and the system is not there to encourage people to drop out and wait a few years so they can go back and get paid!?

Clueless, I think they are taking the proverbial tbh. I've referred people to DFSA to do what you are doing and get they have received the BTEA.

Maybe you should contact the SW section that deals directly with BTEA instead of the local office staff. They're based in Leitrim afaik and the number is 071 96 72698. If its clarified that you can get BTEA let the local office know as they are giving out misinformation.

Good luck.

hi there,

i applied for college, hoping to get accepted. i signed on welfare back in janurary this year.
    i recieved a letter the other day all about btea etc. it says i should contact my local colleges etc to find out about courses. since ive already applied i ignored that part.
    i was wondering, i counted the dates and ill only be on welfare for 8months 2 weeks come the first week in september.
    have they ever bent the rules for this type of situation? or does it have to be exactly 9months+?

Afaik they dont bend the rules but see if you can talk to a local Job Facilitator, it might be done on a set number of consecutive days instead of nine calendar months. This might reduce the length of time you need to be in receipt of payments prior to applying for BTEA.

thanks paperclip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭LordOctane2009

Hi All,

I am in my 2nd year of a PhD and I am an independent mature student. I started my PhD and I looked for the BTEA. I rang up and I was told that "the mistake I made was that I was working for the last year".

When the hell did it become a mistake to work:mad: I then said that I am not working now and she said that I had already started and was therefore already back at education - I had to hang up the phone before I exploded. Why is it that country keeps punishing people for working? What is worse is that I would be better off sitting on the dole and working on my PhD as an independent student. Instead I am killing myself working and trying to study and the same time. I am also not entitled to benefits because I am student. It is impossible to win!!

So the best advice for those going on to education is to take a year off on the dole - get ahead on your studies and then start claiming but for the love of God don't think of working. Ridiculous!!! End of Rant Thanks:)

Hi All,

I am in my 2nd year of a PhD and I am an independent mature student. I started my PhD and I looked for the BTEA. I rang up and I was told that "the mistake I made was that I was working for the last year".

When the hell did it become a mistake to work:mad: I then said that I am not working now and she said that I had already started and was therefore already back at education - I had to hang up the phone before I exploded. Why is it that country keeps punishing people for working? What is worse is that I would be better off sitting on the dole and working on my PhD as an independent student. Instead I am killing myself working and trying to study and the same time. I am also not entitled to benefits because I am student. It is impossible to win!!

So the best advice for those going on to education is to take a year off on the dole - get ahead on your studies and then start claiming but for the love of God don't think of working. Ridiculous!!! End of Rant Thanks:)

Hi Lord Occtane,
    Afaik the BTEA isn't available for postgraduate courses except for H.Dip or Post grad Diplomas in Primary or Secondary Teaching so if you are beyond that stage in your PhD then you wouldnt qualify for BTEA anyway. Cold comfort I know but it might take some of the sting out of it. You can have a look at the regulations here: http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Publications/SW70/Pages/ABacktoEducationAllowanceBTEA.aspx

Yes you are right about the restrictions. The lengths of time you need to be claiming before being entitled to apply for BTEA, 6, 9, and 12 months, are just too long especially in the current climate.

Best of luck in your studies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭LordOctane2009

Thanks Paperclip2 for the info. That wasn't even mentioned when I was talking to the woman even though I told them all my details. Typical.

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 fifibibi

withnail83 wrote: »
    Hi All,

How strict are they on the 12 months? How do you apply for the 9 month aspect? I haven't been registered at Fas yet. I thought they were supposed to get in touch with me after 3 months but havent gotten anything from them, and havent gotten in touch with them due to the negative reputation they have. Should I join them and will this be the only way that I could apply for btea?

When you are on the dole, no one runs after you to make sure you get all you are entitled to, you have to go out and get things done yourself.

Fas don't contact anyone, if you want to register you call into their office. Its up to you and down to you to try eveything you can to find work.
    I have never heard any negative comments about fas' reputation. Only the bloody politicians who stole money out of the budget.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 fifibibi

thanks for that , im just starting to wade through all the info out there about this.
    i just recently found out that i am being made redundant in july and just trying to decide what to do. i really want to do nursing as a mature student but the application process means it will be september 2010 before i can start. the only way i could do it is by getting some sort of grant so that means i would have to stay on the dole for a whole year in order to qualify. even so i might not qualify as i have already a certificate and diploma. i think i would crack up if i though i would be on the dole for a year but i really want to do it. any ideas?

You wont qualify for btea if you already hold a diploma

Advertisement