Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games of yesteryear

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Challenge Tv? Ah... Sky only :(

When was Gamesmaster on ? 6pm on a friday evening on Ch4 wasn't it ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I never liked Gamesmaster, with Sir Patrick Moore, a nerdy hero of mine, prostituting himself on that show, awful.
    Gameworld, a great format, a different show each day of the week too, excellent.

Gamesville was the worst niche show ever, if not the worst show ever, positively dreadful and more interested in getting two planks to talk "street" about gaming and reduce it to a pre pubescent waste of time than treating it as anything else.

And the "Games Guru" should be dragged out onto the street, have his eyes put out with a poker and his belly tore open and his entrails wrapped slowly around a thorny stick before being fed to wild dogs.

Or am I being a little too.....

Merciful?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

What was the shite gaming show on TCC ? I think it was like in between programs or something they had kids play games, usually fighting or sports games.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    What was the shite gaming show on TCC ? I think it was like in between programs or something they had kids play games, usually fighting or sports games.
    Oh christ. I rmember some kid on that in a captain scarlet costume :eek:
    I was only about 6 and I wanted to kill the little plank

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Let's face it, good videogame shows are so few and far between, and now, with XBLA and PSN we can simply download games for ourselves and try them, so we don't have to see some plank giving them a go.
    Not to mention the fact that there are loads of online news sources that have media content that, again, cover more than TV video game shows ever did.
    Perhaps the TV program covering Videogames is outmoded for good?

Have to say though, I quite like to watch Playr, not bad.

Anyway, games of yesteryear, lots of rose tinted spectacles have been handed out round these parts, yes?
    I mean, honestly, how can Perfect Dark compare to Fear 2, or Alien8 compare to Bioshock? How can most of the games we hold dear, especially from the 8bit era possibly compare to range of great games over the last 5 odd years?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,912 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think a lot of them compare quite well. Some games age really badly such as Goldeneye, very innovative but compared to todays FPS games it's dreadful. However can you honestly say in the last five years we have had platformers better than Super Mario World and Metroid.

Some games also offer experiences that modern games have not been able to match. Just look at Doom. It's still a very playable and excellent game and no FPS has been able to offer the same type of gameplay experience. Modern FPS games rely on processor heavy enviroments and character models meaning you only see about 2-3 enemies with good AI. And don't even compare Serious Sam to Doom because it's nothing like it. Sure it did the dozens of enemies thing but having them being mindless enemies that run straight towards you in levels that amount to nothing but a series of large arenas can't compare to Dooms excellent level and enemy design.

Some games have aged but the true classics are still as relevant today as long as you can get over the graphics.

Well now, Serious Sam was never a good example of the modern FPS, and even though a game is played from the 1st person perspective, the breadth of game types out there is almost oas broad as those games that use side on or isometric viewpoints, the difference between Doom, Metroid Prime, Bioshock, BattleField and Thief are obvious, only the point of view being in common.
    Sure the games are processor heavy, but why must this automatically be a bad thing?
    And, soon enough, retrogamers like ourselves will have to accept the likes of Descent, Doom, System Shock 2 and Deus Ex as classics of gaming as a whole,
    Great games that will stand the test of time are not just 2D sprite based titles, no way.
    Already we look upon Elite, Mercenary, Star Wars, Battlezone and evn more recent fare like Ridge Racer, Daytona USA and Sega Rally as classics, and so they are, and that list is only going to get bigger with time.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

What I love most about retro arcades in particular is that they where designed to give you 2 to 5 minutes of play before it was game over! It took real skill to complete an arcade game. Actually, never mind complete but actually play for more then 10 minutes without emptying your pockets!

When I have mates over for beers and a spot of arcade gaming, everyone gets a credit and is back guzzling your beer in quick time. I think I already mentioned in another post that myself and my mates are playing Track and Field the last few weeks... TRACK AND FIELD!!! A game released in 1983 has guys more competitive and into it then the latest PS3 Pro Evolution Soccer.
    I'm convinced that games have lost something along the way.... I'm just not 100% what that is yet.

Track and Field rocks, and it's easy to argue that the DS version is superior in every way and even MAME can provide arcade perfect button hammering at home,
    BUT
    Track and Field is a competitive game, you need to have a mate next to you hammering away too, and without the noises of an arcade circa 86 in the background the whole experience loses something essential.
    Plus there's the fact that you are spending real money on a 5 minute experience, the value, the psychology of investing in a game is lost in the home, it's just not the same.

Then again, you don't have the town pervert watching the kids play Tetris either, so you have advantages and disadvantages I guess....

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭civildefence

Alan Rouge wrote: »

If you're talkin about the one presented by the little blondie bird with the short hair, it was called Head 2 Head.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 pimpdaddypriest

ah god it has to be magicland dizzy on the speccy for me!
    excellent game!

I never got into the Dizzy games, just got rid of my Spectrum as they came out, I enjoyed the Magic Knight games though, Finders Keepers, Spellboung and Knight Tyme, there was another one, called Stormbringer, but by that time I had moved on from the 8 bit gaming world, took 4 years off of gaming, the madness, before buying a Gameboy in 90, I am better now, have no fear...

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Randy Shafter

I dont think anyone has mentioned it yet but Choplifter was great little game! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Grrrrrrr. Everytime people mention Dizzy I get flashbacks :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

anyone remember Bits that used to run late on Channel 4?
    it was presented by 3 girls who did mad cap stuff in between reviews
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6mcf9t3GFw&feature=related

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭mufc4lfe

PES 5BEST GAME EVER FACT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

Grrrrrrr. Everytime people mention Dizzy I get flashbacks :mad:

Why? did he touch you in an inappropriate manner? :p

Dizzy, wasn't a Christian Brother was he?
    I know that several alleged gaming icons seemed to fade away soon after the first couple of games, I never thought it could be down to imprisonment or possible long stay psychiatric incarceration.
    Explains where Bubsy, Sly Raccoon and Blinx went though!
    Any other gaming characters off the scene recently?
    And why do you think they disappeared?
    Maybe the ClayFighter characters were killed in a tragic bus crash whilst on a promotional tour in India?

Advertisement