Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games of yesteryear

Options
  • 07-05-2009 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭

:)Anyone remember quick draw mcgraw? just talking with someone today and this game came to mind i had hours of fun with this anyone have any real classics they miss

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Played this in the very early 90s on the Amstrad CPC. I remember it being feindishly difficult!

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭civildefence

The best games on these consoles:

Commodore:
    Arnie
    Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles
    The Last Ninja
    Exile
    Operation Wolf
    Wonder Boy

Mega Drive:
    Sonic Series
    Street Fighter
    Flashback
    Streets Of Rage
    Ghouls & Ghosts
    FIFA Soccer

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

:)Anyone remember quick draw mcgraw? just talking with someone today and this game came to mind i had hours of fun with this anyone have any real classics they miss

Good old hi-tec software! If it had anything to do with hanna barbera these guy's released it. Sadly I don't think they were all made to the
    highest standards ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The best games on these consoles:

Mega Drive:
    Sonic Series
    Street Fighter
    Flashback
    Streets Of Rage
    Ghouls & Ghosts
    FIFA Soccer

Look man, I'm not sure if you understand the rules in these here parts, but if you are going to rattle off a list of fave megadrive games, you'd better consider including GUNSTAR HEROES in there as well.
    I know it's not very good, gods know Edge thinks so too, but Retrogamer is liable to get rather....

anxious if it doesn't get represented.

Just so as you know,
    wouldn't want anything, well, unfortunate to happen,

that's all I'm saying...

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭civildefence

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Look man, I'm not sure if you understand the rules in these here parts, but if you are going to rattle off a list of fave megadrive games, you'd better consider including GUNSTAR HEROES in there as well.
    I know it's not very good, gods know Edge thinks so too, but Retrogamer is liable to get rather....

anxious if it doesn't get represented.

Just so as you know,
    wouldn't want anything, well, unfortunate to happen,

that's all I'm saying...

In fairness it wasn't great, but it was one of the first you'd remember. What I find unbelieveable is that although the games on the likes of the PS3 and 360 can't be beaten for graphics and interactivity, they still never seem to have the playability or simple enjoyment you got from games like Gunstar Heroes.
    By the way I forgot to add Midnight Resistance to the Commodore 64 list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,302 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Creatures/Creatures 2.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Dammit, Retro is adapting, no longer rising to the bait, must change strategies.....

ANYONE ELSE THINK IKARUGA AND PANZER DRAGOON SAGA SUCKS?

and now the trap is set, we need only sit, wait and watch.......

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,914 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You're only lucky I'm in a hoop from last night :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

anyone know where or if i can get a download link for the gam GORILLAS on the system DOS

this is a pic of it
    http://www.oddsim.com/other/images/gorilla2_b.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

kick off 2, daley thompson decatalon, operation wolf +1, and another i think was called clumsy colin action biker

• Advertisement

Fave games of yesteryear,

On Speccy anyway,

Tau Ceti and it's sequel Academy

Elite (natch)

Chase HQ

Uridium

Quazatron (superior remake/sequel to Paradroid)

3D StarStrike (brilliant Star Wars clone)

Manic Miner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Manic Miner
    What a title! That must surely be a DOS game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

I liked PaperBoy and Rampage on the Commodore and Probotector for the MegaDrive.

Kevster wrote: »
    What a title! That must surely be a DOS game?

You're kidding, right?

You're kidding, right?

Play nice! ;)

Manic Miner was written for the Speccy but was released on many other systems.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,914 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    Probotector for the MegaDrive.

This game gets far too little love. In my opinion it's the pinnacle of the series and far better than the overrated Contra 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Gadge

I didn't know Probotector came out on the Mega Drive. It was definitely out on the SNES anyway.

And I'm sure Probotector on SNES was just Contra 3, apart from the name change and the clothing the 2 guys wore (metal suits instead of jeans & t-shirts).

Probotector on the SNES and Megadrive were too completely different games. Probotector/Contra 3 on hte SNES was 3 excellent levels of run and gun, a final level of rehashed bosses from the series and 2 dreadful tech demo overhead levels. Probotector/Contra: Hard Corp on the Megadrive was a bastard hard Boss fest featuring dozens of levels and multiple paths through the game.

I think everyone hates the gay robots europe got shafted with, at least the games still rocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Gadge

Sounds good, I might seek that one out.

Be warned that the megadrive probotector is legendary for how tough it is. It's definitely beatable but there's a lot of bosses that will have you stuck on them for a good while such as the 3rd level last boss and jungle level last boss. Took me a few weeks of dedication to get through it. Might be worth playing the japanese version which is much easier since you get 3 hits before you lose a life whereas it's only 1 hit per life on the megadrive version.

• Advertisement

I think I have Probotector for the Nes somewhere, is it any good? My NES is toast a the mo, awaiting replacement.

I used to love, and still do really, Starblade, the arcade version had me addicted, not that I was any good, and the superior 3DO version kept me smiling.
    Although quite limited by todays standards, an onrails space shooter, it looked fab and played great, with great camera swoops and nice changes of enviroment.
    The atmosphere was perfect too, with little music only the thruming of your weapons fire and the sounds of the cruisers zipping past, lovely!

The NES version is quite good but it's dated a little. It's a bit different to the arcade version though with some new stages, some extended ones and one or two new bosses.

For me the series only got good with Contra 3, although for their time Contra and Super Contra were excellent. Contra: Hard Corp, the Gameboy contras and Contra: Shattered Soldier are all awesome.

Just pretend the PS1 and GBA games never happened.

I remember a mag doing a freezeframe run through of the Mode 7 bombing run early on in Contra on the Snes and I remember being well impressed, of course when I actually bought the thing I was shocked at how unforgiving it was, bugger!
    They were the days, the days of that great games show on Sky, remember Big Boy Barry and all the rest, great days lads and lasses

Contra 3 is probably the easiest of the series :) I remember that show as well, it was supposedly really good but i never had sky. They brought out a really good mag as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

jesus forgetting game shows lol please bring em back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gaming now is huge compared to late 80s early 90s why is there no proper gaming shows?

and before someone says it (player is not great its terrible lol)!

anyways long live gaming, fellow addicts lol

Ah yes... We had GamesMaster, Bad Influence, Gamesworld and When games attack. All of them pretty good shows. I think the less said about Gamesville the better. It probably set back Video game shows a decade....

Hmmm... Dominick Diamonds comment on Gamesville was spot on if a little risky.

"I have more respect for suicide bombers than I do for the people who are involved with Gamezville... it's all ****ing 'Yo mate...' I mean these guys can't even speak ****ing English"

• Registered Users Posts: 34,581 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

LoGiE wrote: »
    Hmmm... Dominick Diamonds comment on Gamesville was spot on if a little risky.

"I have more respect for suicide bombers than I do for the people who are involved with Gamezville... it's all ****ing 'Yo mate...' I mean these guys can't even speak ****ing English"

Funny, but then sad as it's all too true :(

I've been watching through series 1 & 2 of Gamesmaster again recently. It really was a great show. Would love to see a DVD boxset released.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Zerroth

They were the days, the days of that great games show on Sky, remember Big Boy Barry and all the rest, great days lads and lasses

I remember that show! I think it was called Gamesworld. And Big Boy Barry was one of the videators. :P I think i recall him being the one weakest gamers out of the videators as he lost most frequently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

o1s1n wrote: »
    Funny, but then sad as it's all too true :(

I've been watching through series 1 & 2 of Gamesmaster again recently. It really was a great show. Would love to see a DVD boxset released.

Where are ye watching them ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,581 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

ChallangeTV (At least I think it was them anyway?) reran a lot of the old series a few years ago. As far as I know it's the only time they were ever broadcast digitally. Apart from that, everything else will be from VHS.

The guys over on the www.Gamesmasterlive.co.uk forums have taken on a fairly huge project in trying to compile them all. I think someone a while ago found loads of VHS tapes in an attic in Germany which contained a lot of the lost stuff.

They have a download section for forum members. But there's a minimum post count you have to meet before you can access any content.

That's the only option really until they are released on DVD. Which by the looks of things will never happen.

Advertisement