Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retraining ?

Options
  • 06-05-2009 2:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭

Hey..

not really shore weather this is the right place i thought about mature students then jobs but then I thaught may be after hours cause there's a lot of people who appear to be on the dole and possibly could gain an insight to...

I'm currently researching online course's I can do.. Now there's a nice availability out there of all sort's of course from web design to childcare
    I'm going to be doing an English grammar course with the V.E.C in the near future..

But I'm looking at course to suit me and what I want to do and also expanding on my qualifications to make me the stronger person for the job or give me the best chance of getting the job...

For instance

I could go web design and project management, followed bye a photo shop course to and a small graphic design course eventually giving me some strong qualifications and back ground's in booth creative aspects as well as technical side to the job and holding some strong leadership qualities tide up with my past.....

Is that the way you approach retraining ?

Never done anything like this as it's a bit over my head...
    So pointer's ideas all welcome :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,888 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

tl;dr.

EDIT: oops half of that was your sig.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Do a spelling course before the grammar course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

You need to figure out what area interests you most, then go and do interviews for that particular area. Employers will always look favourably on someone who is willing to develop themselves on their own time, out side of work.

Only problem nowadays is that there are people with proven experience and qualifications that will be ahead of you. Its a cut throat market out there at the moment for positions. The more you do in terms of courses cant be bad for you though.......

Best of luck to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

What does tl;dr mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

Jigsaw wrote: »
    What does tl;dr mean?

too long: didn't read

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

Jigsaw wrote: »
    What does tl;dr mean?

too long; didn't read

I died a little looking that up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭omyatari

You need to figure out what area interests you most, then go and do interviews for that particular area. Employers will always look favourably on someone who is willing to develop themselves on their own time, out side of work.

Only problem nowadays is that there are people with proven experience and qualifications that will be ahead of you. Its a cut throat market out there at the moment for positions. The more you do in terms of courses cant be bad for you though.......

Best of luck to you!

thank you Darling :)
    how nice of you.

and yes good luck on finding something you like doing :)

Smart Bug wrote: »
    too long; didn't read

I died a little looking that up.

If the OP puts as much effort into retraining, as ye crowd did looking up tl;dr, he'll go places.

omyatari wrote: »
    thank you Darling :)
    how nice of you.

and yes good luck on finding something you like doing :)

No problem at all, that may actually be my first serious post in this forum eva!

No problem at all, that may actually be my first serious post in this forum eva!
    Yea I'd get that looked into.

You could have a tumour or something. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Mr.Lizard

Hey..

not really shore weather this is the right place i thought about mature students then jobs but then I thaught may be after hours cause there's a lot of people who appear to be on the dole and possibly could gain an insight to...

I'm currently researching online course's I can do.. Now there's a nice availability out there of all sort's of course from web design to childcare
    I'm going to be doing an English grammar course with the V.E.C in the near future..

But I'm looking at course to suit me and what I want to do and also expanding on my qualifications to make me the stronger person for the job or give me the best chance of getting the job...

For instance

I could go web design and project management, followed bye a photo shop course to and a small graphic design course eventually giving me some strong qualifications and back ground's in booth creative aspects as well as technical side to the job and holding some strong leadership qualities tide up with my past.....

Is that the way you approach retraining ?

Never done anything like this as it's a bit over my head...
    So pointer's ideas all welcome :)

Good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

Fair play OP. Im looking at doing the same so that I can start on a different career. Yes, someone with experience will probably get the job ahead of you, but dont let that deter you. The more you know about your chosen career/subject the better it is for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Best of luck to you!

Cheers:)... well here's an idea of the type of job I would like it busy you have to be 6 places ahead of you while thinking out side the box, Its something I would enjoy and could excell at its tough Im expected to think on my feet and come up with salutions at moments notice.. Aswell as motivate people and make shore the job is done...

Only thing is my experence in this sort of sector is very little and lack the know how to get into that position to a degree other then emailing the hr office everyday untill they get so anoyed with me they give me a job as the mail boy and i work up from there :)

Core responsibilities include:

•Management of multiple projects relating to MSG games and infrastructure
    •Production and maintenance of status reports
    •Project planning with key stakeholders, internal and external
    •Creation of reporting process for multiple projects across western markets
    •Produce strategy for management of online analytics and research materials, working with the Market Analyst

Experience and attributes:

Outstanding communication skills

International and action-orientated perspective

Experience in project management dealing with multiple stakeholders, internal and external

Understanding of project management methods, eg ******

Key Skills:

-Experience in Project Management for large organizations
    -Broad understanding of online production (games or web sites)
    -Proactive, 'can-do' mentality
    -Delivery focus with exceptional attention to detail
    -Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment and manage multiple projects to completion
    -Can demonstrate integrity and professional etiquette in dealing with business partners (internal/external)
    -Strong presentation skills
    -There will be the need for occasional travel to Europe and US

Behaviours/ Competencies
    •The candidate should be passionate, smart and confident of their own ability to really make a difference.
    •Exceptional organizational and communication skills.
    •Achievement driven; action and results orientated.
    •Good business acumen is beneficial.
    •Excellent conceptual and problem solving skills.
    •Strategic and innovative thinking
    •Must have ability to prioritize and meet aggressive deadlines.

References will be sought and must be provided prior to employment / contract commencing.

Please note that the nature of our business may require that certain aspects of this job description may be subject to modification and change during the individual's period of employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

Cheers:)... well here's an idea of the type of job I would like it busy you have to be 6 places ahead of you while thinking out side the box, Its something I would enjoy and could excell at its tough Im expected to think on my feet and come up with salutions at moments notice.. Aswell as motivate people and make shore the job is done...

Only thing is my experence in this sort of sector is very little and lack the know how to get into that position to a degree other then emailing the hr office everyday untill they get so anoyed with me they give me a job as the mail boy and i work up from there :)

Perhaps you could ask to speak to someone already in a role in the company you like? Maybe ask what kind of courses you should do? Or ask HR for a meeting? Its chancing your arm, but it shows a genuine interest.

Puddleduck wrote: »
    Perhaps you could ask to speak to someone already in a role in the company you like? Maybe ask what kind of courses you should do? Or ask HR for a meeting? Its chancing your arm, but it shows a genuine interest.

The company I want to work with are pretty difficult to get into as in every door is closed, There's only two ways in send my cv in for a job and hope they pick it up through the filters which is difficult enough as it is the other is through a networking sight which I have found hopefully that could open doors... Its like twitter but aimed at the industry i want to crack into... :)

Also the company are based in the uk but i dont mind traveling...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Insurgent wrote: »

Ooh... burn!

Considering the OP is dyslexic I think some ethiquette training might be more suited to you.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Considering the OP is dyslexic I think some ethiquette training might be more suited to you.

Can you tell me where in the opening post it refers to the OP being dyslexic?

Apologies if they are.

Apologies if they are.

common knowledge :rolleyes:

Apologies if they are.
    Its common knowledge. OP has never hidden the fact.
    Although granted you weren't to know his history.

Apologies if required.

• Advertisement

common knowledge :rolleyes:

Not to me it isn't. I don't follow your posts around boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

There are quite a few dyslexics (or people who claim dyslexia) on boards. Generally wouldn't know it from reading their posts though.

Not to me it isn't. I don't follow your posts around boards.

so what i should have Im dyslexic in my sig ?because people like you are all to happy to jump in feet first and say o a spelling course to .....

so what i should have Im dyslexic in my sig ?because people like you are all to happy to jump in feet first and say o a spelling course to .....

No but don't spout it's common knowledge when obviously it isn't.

No but don't spout it's common knowledge when obviously it isn't.

excuse me you said something stupid not me don't even attempt to turn this around..:)

excuse me you said something stupid not me don't even attempt to turn this around..:)

I'm not. To me it's not common knowledge so I would have replied with that response to any thread. And if you care to read my posts on this thread I have already apologised :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

No you dont need to put it in your sig but it would be very much appreciated if you used spellcheck. Throwing the dyslexic card around for being lazy is a cop out tbh.

Kiera wrote: »
    No you dont need to put it in your sig but it would be very much appreciated if you used spellcheck. Throwing the dyslexic card around for being lazy is a cop out tbh.

For your information I do, not even spell checker can understand some of the words I spell due to the fact I spell phonetickley but off course you already knew that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

do get someone to proofread your CV/application letter etc. The poor spelling makes a very unprofessional impression and the person reading it isn't going to think "poor lad he's dyslexic" but rather "why don't we hire someone who actually went to school".

• Advertisement

RoundTower wrote: »
    do get someone to proofread your CV/application letter etc. The poor spelling makes a very unprofessional impression and the person reading it isn't going to think "poor lad he's dyslexic" he'll think "why don't we hire someone who actually went to school".

That goes with out saying :), I get my old man to check my spelling grammar and punctuation and then some one else to proof read it that way i get a flip side of the coin which has always worked well in the past.... :) but thansk for the tip

Advertisement