Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 09 is set to be a scorcher

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hmm, sunspots its all about sunspots - and right now the sun is very quiet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

not impressed with May so far, its feeling like early March for the past few weeks, im pure sick of all this rain and cool weather.:( Im not getting my hopes up for a scorching summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭markopantelic

its like a bloody monsoon out here. the sky is blue but its lashing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭*shadow*

moe_sizlak wrote: »
    off topic i know but from talking to farmers , if the last three years are typical of the kind of weather we can expect in the future , it will destroy agriculture in this country , it cannot be overestimated what the weather is presently doing to farmers , its a disaster

do you think we will see more of this relentless rain for weeks on end , each year

Countries near the equator will face increased risks of drought and water shortages. An increse of about 3degrees will not have a dramatic impact on Ireland in fact some predictions say it will help improve agriculture, however a rise in temperatures above this will be detrimental.

And can we expect more weeks of rain?
    Well yes I'm afraid it seems that way, as global temperatures increase so does the level of percipitation in countries further from the equator i.e. Ireland:(

Theres nothing wrong with living in hope though....You never know Summer 09 may be the best Irish Summer yet:rolleyes:

i was watching euronews last night and they mentioned how rainfall in netherlands will increase by 25% in the next years

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Next years? Next 10, next 100?

lol not sure. they seem to be preparing for this now tho. :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

ask them about the summer's of '86 and '87. i think you'll find those two Summers were almost as wet as last Summer

1987 wasnt such a bad summer , 86 was very bad but 85 is legendary , none were as bad however as 2008 and the last month has been twice as bad as last summer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Global warming? Where?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

*shadow* wrote: »
    Countries near the equator will face increased risks of drought and water shortages. An increse of about 3degrees will not have a dramatic impact on Ireland in fact some predictions say it will help improve agriculture, however a rise in temperatures above this will be detrimental.

And can we expect more weeks of rain?
    Well yes I'm afraid it seems that way, as global temperatures increase so does the level of percipitation in countries further from the equator i.e. Ireland:(

Theres nothing wrong with living in hope though....You never know Summer 09 may be the best Irish Summer yet:rolleyes:

while i sincerley hope you are right , even it does come good , its too late now , the damage is done , land is destroyed , farmers are nearly broke having to have bought in feed this past month which they ordinarily never do at this time of year , the last month has been cataclysmic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

thewing wrote: »
    I remember 86 especially...miserable...

@ManFromAtlantis - I don't buy the fact it's gonna be a scorcher...having played golf in the pouring rain last night for 4 hours, I'm not impressed with Summer '09 so far...

Well they're called long term forecasts for a reason. They are probably talking about July/August when the weather seems to be the "best" if you ask me. Sure we'll know all by September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭*shadow*

while i sincerley hope you are right , even it does come good , its too late now , the damage is done , land is destroyed , farmers are nearly broke having to have bought in feed this past month which they ordinarily never do at this time of year , the last month has been cataclysmic

Agreed!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭misty76

I really hope it isn't wet this summer.. its so cold this week i cant wait for it to warm up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

It's like f*cking November out there....another washout.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

i think the recession got to the sun as well

• Registered Users Posts: 16,701 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

1987 wasnt such a bad summer , 86 was very bad but 85 is legendary , none were as bad however as 2008 and the last month has been twice as bad as last summer

yes those years were not as bad as last summer but they demonstrate that very wet summers in Ireland are not a new phenomena. it will be interesting to see after the very wet May (no early turf this year!) we've had , if a polar continental airmass can get established over us during June or July

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

theres the weather forcasters again not able to forcast the weather next week but they can forcast what the weather will be like months away lol. and people believe them all the time, brainless people. the weather for june is rain rain rain and the same for july and august september will be mostly dry with good sunny spells for most of the month. enjoy the swim

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭TheGreenGiant

actually the weather is ment to be picking up very nicely from the middle of next week as high pressure is coming:D just at the right time too when my exams are over! :pac:

Advertisement