Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelforce West - Discussion & Afters

Options
  • 05-05-2009 4:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi there,
    Myself and 4 of my friends have signed up to the Gaelforce West challenge - no sorry, my friend somehow managed to convince me to do it!! I've never done a triathlon in my life :eek: - the closest thing I've done is the mini-marathon (a measly 10K in comparison to 65K!!)
    ANyhoo - just on here wondering if anyone has training tips or if anyone is interested in Group Training?
    :)

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

A good few off here seem to have signed up now, have a look at the fitness & cycling section or do a search.

I am sure you will get training (deathwish) partners :)

Good luck with it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Luc79

THanx a mil Yop! I know - it seriously is a deathwish - I jsut hope to finish alive!

Cheers:o

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Luc79 wrote: »
    THanx a mil Yop! I know - it seriously is a deathwish - I jsut hope to finish alive!

Cheers:o

I will be the same and I think a good few will be. Think might leave the Elite people to it ;)

These are the splits from last year if anyone is interested.

http://www.sportident.co.uk/results/2008/GF6_2008_checkpoint_times.html

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭findingfitness

Hi Luc 79.

Just wondering if you guys are from Westport? just wondering as you asked about group training?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Hi Luc 79.

Just wondering if you guys are from Westport? just wondering as you asked about group training?

I'm from westport and just signed up for this as a jogger.

I've never done anything like this, only just started running.

There are 4 of us training to do, we haven't come up with a plan of action really yet as to how we are gonna train.

At the moment, we are just building up the distance running, want to be able to run 12km easily, then train for the bikes.

Tried running up the back of the reek on saturday, it was tough, really tough, I was regretting signing up during it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Luc79

Hey Batman/Findingfitness,

I'm up in Dublin so afraid not doing the training in Westport!! See, you're at an TOTAL advantage there!! Haha, just kidding! We are hoping to get down and do the reek very soon. Though not too sure I'll be running it in fairness - sounds AWFUL!

I did a 10K run the other day in about 53mins, so was happy with that and I've started to do spin classes (I don't have a bike yet!) so that's getting me into it!

It's great hearing from others though and knowing that there's a lot of us in the same boat (or should I say Kayak!!!?? - sorry, that was AWFUL!)!

Ignoring the Kayak joke and moving right along:D

Ya, I admit living in westport is an advantage for training on the reek;), I did say "tried" running, I walked most of it, coming down was a jog, its deadly dangerous though.

Did an 8k run last night in 44 mins. Was well pleased with that.

I used to cycle loads years ago, so hoping getting back on the bike wont be too bad.

Never done any kayaking, so not sure what to expect there.

I am doing circuit training twice a week now too to build up the fitness and a bit of upper body for the kayaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

Luc79, try going to a few IMRA hill races to get used to running on hills. They're good fun in themselves.
    Never done any kayaking, so not sure what to expect there.

The kayaking section is so short that it doesn't make that much of a difference. Killary adventure centre are putting on training weekends for GF. Might be worth signing up for one of those.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭madson

I'm also doing the Gaelforce, i've start doing a bit of training but nothing too hard as of yet. I 'm cycling 30-40km a few times a week easy enough. When i'm running i'm struggling as my lower back and shin splints start to hurt after the first km most of the time the pain is too much i'm stopping after 4km. I play football twice a week and don't have any problems running for a full match without any pain, i'm starting to wonder if i'll be able for the running part at all.

madson wrote: »
    I'm also doing the Gaelforce, i've start doing a bit of training but nothing too hard as of yet. I 'm cycling 30-40km a few times a week easy enough. When i'm running i'm struggling as my lower back and shin splints start to hurt after the first km most of the time the pain is too much i'm stopping after 4km. I play football twice a week and don't have any problems running for a full match without any pain, i'm starting to wonder if i'll be able for the running part at all.

I am suffering with shin splints too. I am using an anti inflammatory rub after each run, just started using it so not sure if it is working yet.

If they don't improve, I will have to go to physio. But I don't think there is much that can be done for shin splints except for rest, which isnt an option!

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭adagio

Hey Luc79,
    I'm part of a group of 4 that have signed up for the GF6.
    Training = I would recommend that you check out the IMRA Leinster League every Wednesday evening. It will give you a good idea of how to approach C.Patrick. But be careful and take your time on descending and wear a good pair of runners (Asics or evo8's). If any of you guys have severe or repetitive ankle issues it is best that you train on the flat instead.:rolleyes:;)
    I would also recommend that you get at least one session in-in Wicklow on the bike each week.
    Forget the Kayaking... as you may train your ass off for the kayaking section and end up sharing a kayak with a horses ass... leave it to chance and don't waste your time training for this section.
    I am currently in recovery from a cycling smash while descending l'Alpe d'Huez three weeks ago therefore I cannot meet anyone for training yet. But if you require an introduction to the IMRA scene just give me a shout and I'll point ya in the right direction.
    Good on ya.:)

adagio wrote: »
    If any of you guys have ankle issues it is best that you train on the flat instead.

I would say exactly the opposite. Running proper hills will strenghten up your ankles to deal with this. No point in trying to ignore the reality that Croagh Patrick is an extremely technical hillrun that you need to have excellent off-road skills for to get anywhere near your potential.

Sorry Enduro,
    But I gotta disagree w/ya.
    Check out the original post = someone who has not run in the IMRA races before (I am making an assumption based on the tone of the post).
    If you are aware of what technical mountain/fell running consists of (sounds like you do) then you know the dangers of ankle twisting on the descent especially.
    Some people have weak ankles due to previous injuries..etc and I would recommend that anyone with such a condition be made aware of the dangers before they go near an IMRA race.
    Most people on the day of the GF6 will walk up and walk/joy down the C.Patrick.
    I would always err on the side of caution when advising that someone include hill running in the prep for any race without pointing out the reality of the most obvious danger.
    To be for warned is to be prepared.:D

If you are aware of what technical mountain/fell running consists of (sounds like you do)

I'm #4 on the IMRA list of most results recorded in the database, so yeah, I've got a fair idea alright. In all those races and all the training I do for them I've never once twisted an ankle.

I also won GF last year.

My personal experience in strenghting up my own ankles from a weakened state, and my knowledge that CP is the most technical hillrun in Ireland is where my opinion is coming from. Again, there is no point in ignoring reality here. CP is highly technical, and the best way to improve your time over technical decents is to improve your technical descending skills. For that, you need stong will, and good strong ankles etc.

Of course it can be walked. For that you need to do no training, and can wear a big pair of mountaineering boots which will provide a huge amount of protection. But if you want to train to race the event to your best potential, then you need to address the issues that the course does actually present.

Enduro,
    I agree 100% with your view on the technicality of CP and the necessity for training to reach ones potential - if the individual is starting from a clean slate (no ankle injuries).
    I mean let's be practical - if someone is looking for tips on the GF6 training that has no hill running experience, it would be irresponsible to point them to wards the IMRA races without issuing a word of caution. Both you and I know how dangerous the sport is and the potential for injury is significant.
    My word of caution (re-ankle injury) is tempered by one of my team mates having a 'bad ankle.' I was gonna introduce him to the IMRA Leinster League but I now think it not worth the risk. If he goes over on his ankle once... that's it. No GF6! So I'm gonna take him out on some easy hill running.
    Now.. I agree about reaching ones potential... but it depends upon what that person is capable of achieving - because of their natural tallent/injuries/physiology...etc. It would be highly irresponsible if I, with the knowledge I have, took him to the IMRA L.League. Therefore, I always think a word of caution is necessary when recommending such training.
    Btw.. well done on last year in the GF6... a great time.
    Question - did you use a road bike?
    Cheers.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Enduro,
    I agree 100% with your view on the technicality of CP and the necessity for training to reach ones potential - if the individual is starting from a clean slate (no ankle injuries).
    I mean let's be practical - if someone is looking for tips on the GF6 training that has no hill running experience, it would be irresponsible to point them to wards the IMRA races without issuing a word of caution. Both you and I know how dangerous the sport is and the potential for injury is significant.
    My word of caution (re-ankle injury) is tempered by one of my team mates having a 'bad ankle.' I was gonna introduce him to the IMRA Leinster League but I now think it not worth the risk. If he goes over on his ankle once...
    that's it. No GF6! So I'm gonna take him out on some easy hill running.
    Now.. I agree about reaching ones potential... but it depends upon what that person is capable of achieving - because of their natural tallent/injuries/physiology...etc. It would be highly irresponsible if I, with the knowledge I have, took him to the IMRA L.League. Therefore, I always think a word of caution is necessary when recommending such training.

You could either get him to build up ankle strength by running some LL races, or wrap him in cotton wool, which you seem to be suggesting is the better approach. One of the leading ladies at yesterdays Cloughernagh race told me she only got into hillrunning late, having had a formidable pedigree running road races. One of the reasons she gave was her Road Running coaches citing the risk of ankle injury if she was to go over coming down the mountain, a view that seems to be very common amongst road runners. In fact, she says shes never gone over, she's a suberb descender, and her ankles are a lot stronger now than before.
    Since getting into mountain running myself, my ankles can take a lot more punishment than from when I was just RR. In fact, lately I've only twisted my ankles when running on flat grass, and both times I've managed to keep running, with no damaging after affects. And this from someone who would have "bad ankles".
    I would say the reward of putting your friend through a few LL races outweighs any risk.

few of the lads were out doing the GF training day yesterday and said it was nice and tough. One comment they made was that the trainers they were wearing were very slippy and that some people were wearing "adventure" trainers which were light for the road but had great grip.
    Any ideas on what they were on about?

Also they said that from their understanding all elites, runners, joggers dont start in their individual groups but there are buses leaving every hour. Any idea of the make up of that?

Also I see you have to pay for the after event, thats a pity, thought we might get a few free pints for our efforts!! :)

Guys,
    While I agree with most of you views I stick to my 'be cautious warning' when advising someone to include the IMRA into their training when they haven't raced in this environment before.
    I too come from a R.Racing background but haven't looked back since starting to compete in the IMRA races = they are magic.
    Therefore, you're talking to the converted!
    But I have seen people limping away from races and on a regular basis with ankle injuries.
    As for my mate (i.e. wraping him up in cotton wool) - this individual has gone over on his ankle twice this year and is just out of recovery. There is absolutely no way I will be letting him anywhere near the IMRA races.
    Most who participate in any sport over a period of time will find their limit - or what they precieve to be their limit; Sometimes this is physical and sometimes it's psychological. If this is the case then the individual can push through it.
    But if a limit exists and is physiological to it's core the smart athlete will recognize this as early as possible and adapt accordingly.
    But if the same athlete decides not to face the issue and 'bulls through' an injury/recurring injury the outcome is not pleasent.
    Caution is all I am advocating not exclucion.:D
    Please see a re-edit of my original suggestion -
    If any of you guys have severe or repetitive ankle issues it is best that you train on the flat instead.
    :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

If your mate is just back from injury, then of course he needs to be cautious coming back, however
    If any of you guys have severe or repetitive ankle issues it is best that you train on the flat instead.

this is the part of your post I disagree with. Obviously, if you constantly fall, tumble, get lost, are disorientated, hill running is not for you, but if you find you are having ankle problems while consistantly running on roads, then I think its very good practice to run off-road mountains, to build up your ankle strength. I've heard this from countless hill runners who have talked of previous ankle issues from their road running careers. The idea that hill running is not for those with a history of ankle problems is a fallacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

I've never run GF races but I know a bit about ankle issues. When I was growing up I had to wear an ankle brace and caliphers on my left leg. In my teenage years I had repeated ankle problems playing football and pretty much gave up being sporty because of it.

I took up running some 6 years ago, and got into plodding around marathons. I do most of my training offroad and in the hills as the softer ground is much more to my liking. I discovered hill running 3 years ago and having run over 50 races now I have benefitted hugely from what the hills throws at you. I've never had any problems with my left foot, the hill running has toughened it up from what I can see. The strenghed calves and quads have also helped me hugely with marathon training.

Running Croagh Patrick is a savage experience. The downhill can be a bit terrifying even if you've a hill running pedigree. You need to have hills in your training to tackle this, whether you've a history of ankle problems or not.

Ok guys,
    I'm gonna have to acknowledge that you are giving your opinion based on practical knowledge and experience and take it on board.

Yop,
    three of my mates were on the course yesterday and I'm waiting to hear back from them.
    It was my understanding that the different groups would start in their respective categories. The bus every hour sound very sketchy... I'll come back on this one.
    :pac::pac::pac:

Ok guys,
    I'm gonna have to acknowledge that you are giving your opinion based on practical knowledge and experience and take it on board.

Glad to hear it. It will do your mate good to work on his ankle strenght. One thing I will agree with you on (sort of!), is that its probably better to get him training on rough ground before launching him into a racing situation. Most people take bigger risks in races...that's the nature of them. So a few good regular off-road sessions would be good preparation and get the ankle-strenghtening process under way. The more you describe his ankle weakness the more I think he really needs to do this.

Thanks for that. Yup, I used a road bike. Most of the top finishers did. I put on new brake blocks and bought more puncture resistant tyres for it to give it a bit more robustness.

yop wrote: »
    few of the lads were out doing the GF training day yesterday and said it was nice and tough. One comment they made was that the trainers they were wearing were very slippy and that some people were wearing "adventure" trainers which were light for the road but had great grip.
    Any ideas on what they were on about?

Also they said that from their understanding all elites, runners, joggers dont start in their individual groups but there are buses leaving every hour. Any idea of the make up of that?

Also I see you have to pay for the after event, thats a pity, thought we might get a few free pints for our efforts!! :)

I would guess the shoes you're referring to are either solomon or Inov8 off-road shoes. Models of both meet your description, and are worn by the lads who would have been giving the course.

Last year all the waves started together. So 4 or 5 busloads of the fast group all arrived together, made their way to the race start area and were started en-mass about half an hour later. I presume the other waves were the same.

Must look at the website about the after race party. Last year we had to pay for food and drink, but no cover charge for the event itself.

Cheers for that. What footwear did u wear yourself? Can't really afford to be spending 100's of euros on the gear. Was thinkin a pair of asics which I wear to train all the time!

It seems its 25 euro's for the after party. Bit steep I think

yop wrote: »
    Cheers for that. What footwear did u wear yourself? Can't really afford to be spending 100's of euros on the gear. Was thinkin a pair of asics which I wear to train all the time!

It seems its 25 euro's for the after party. Bit steep I think

IIRC, I wore Asics Eagle trail runners. But it's all a personal choice, and there are plenty of factors to influence the decision. If the weather is good normal trainers would be fine. You'd just need to be aware of possible skidding around on the boggier sections. If you're training off road on the shoes then you'll be used to them, so all the better.

Agree with you about the party, if that's the case. Might cut the numbers down going to it, which in itself would be a shame.

Hey guys,

I spoke to the lads that attended the training weekend and the said the following:
    The overall impression given to the guys attending the course was that the organizers have not fixed anything in stone yet (apart from the start area) and may indeed have a trial run of the course in early July....as they have received interest in this.
    Apparently 2400 have registered already.
    Getting Giddy..... :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Poncherello

did my first session of hill training today. Ran from the junction of Enniskerry and Burrow Rd(basically just accross rd from Belarmayne) through a small gate up as far as Ballyendmonduff rd took a right and rejoined the trail up another bit. Didnt go all the way clocked it at 1.5K up and 500 feet of elevation. Approx 12 mins up and 8 mins down.
    The top section is very rocky and quite difficult to descend on and I am wondering if this is they type of surface CP is ??
    Did it twice and really enjoyed it. Will go farther next time.

Advertisement