Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should we leave Cork to its own devices?

Options
  • 04-05-2009 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭

So they think they are superior and don't recognise Dublin as the capital.
    Should we let them go their own way and allow them to be a republic of hteir own making?

The have a certain disdain for anyone from the capital, so should we just allow them to run their own country and leave them to it?

Republic of Cork? 80 votes

Great idea.
    0% 0 votes
    Silly idea.
    41% 33 votes
    They need supervision.
    11% 9 votes
    I don't care.
    47% 38 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Should have to say whether they're from Cork in the poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Terry wrote: »

The have a certain disdain for anyone from the capital, so should we just allow them to run their own country and leave them to it?

Could be talking about any one of thirty-one counties there I think.......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

If Ireland was a bottle of wine:

Kerry is the demure wrapper with the beautiful foil underside around the top of the bottle.

Once past that, Cork sits proud and safe in it's harbour...firm, solid and unrelenting until the last bitter screw of the cork opener nudges it out.

And slowly, each county is poured out in turn.

Until finally, we see the grim gunky drippings of Dublin ooze out the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

We should pack them all into a large bottle, cork it and set them off to sea...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

The options are too complicated. A simple nukage would be far more straightforward...

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote: »
    A simple nukage would be far more straightforward...

Yes, it looks like the best way to get rid of that smelly kip called dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

If they need supervision, I presume it will be someone in Dublin who will end supervising them!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Waterford is CLEARLY the best city for being the capital. With the motorway, university campaign, viking history, two bridges, derlict hotels... we have it all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

With the new ice age around the corner we might (hopefully) see Cork brancing off from the republic as a little tiny island.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Itself and Dublin should do a barrel roll, tbh.

Leave the rest of us to it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,917 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Ohhhh the United Ireland crowd is going to be none too pleased to read this..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Should we let them go their own way and allow them to be a republic of hteir own making?

And while we're at it can we collapse the jack lynch tunnel just for good measure :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

I'd love to see a breakdown of relative tax taking and expenditures county by county. I'd imagine very few counties would be able to support their current levels of expenditure, however pitiful, without subsidies.

All seriousness aside, dig a moat around Cork and push the f@#kers out to sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Cork versus dublin, the final battle? Lets ****in hope so! It's getting old now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Let the Dubs and people from Cork thump each others skulls in. We'll all win. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭markok84

ye're all just jealous......

runs and hides.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

I'm personally against the idea. I prefer to have someone else to blame when things go pair-shaped, like in times of recessions etc. Bertie(Dub), Cowen(Offaly) etc. It just makes me feel better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I propose that Dublin and Cork should be floated off into the sea, join up somewhere in the Atlantic and fight off against each other to see whose best. Hopefully they'd kill each other off and leave the rest of us to it. Damm when I think of it what better way to get rid of all those idle office blocks, property developers, krystal etc. Could be a scene from "28 weeks later" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Sully wrote: »
    Waterford is CLEARLY the best city for being the capital. With the motorway, university campaign, viking history, two bridges, derlict hotels... we have it all!
    Apart from the university campaign, you just described Leixlip. Except we have 3 bridges (and an aquaduct) and our once derelict hotels now have guests.

Apart from the university campaign, you just described Leixlip. Except we have 3 bridges (and an aquaduct) and our once derelict hotels now have guests.

Technically Athlone should be the capital of Ireland as it's right bang in the middle. Those Cork folk must be real jealous :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Overheal wrote: »
    Ohhhh the United Ireland crowd is going to be none too pleased to read this..

Cork is different. They dont want to be part of Ireland. If you cut it off from the rest of Ireland, the people of Cork would actually prefere it. Since 90% of Corkonians are self loving a-holes. (I btw am a Corkonian who escaped Cork sh!tty!):D:D

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Cork is different. They dont want to be part of Ireland. If you cut it off from the rest of Ireland, the people of Cork would actually prefere it. Since 90% of Corkonians are self loving a-holes. (I btw am a Corkonian who escaped Cork ****ty!):D:D

Self love isn't a bad thing at all <drops the hand> haw haw haw lol

stepbar wrote: »
    Technically Athlone should be the capital of Ireland as it's right bang in the middle. Those Cork folk must be real jealous :P

Where's that scumbag video again? Subtitles had to added in the end. And people talk about the Cork accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭recycle

Nevore wrote: »
    All seriousness aside, dig a moat around Cork and push the f@#kers out to sea.

Fully agree with Nevore.

But before we go ahead we must ensure the full and safe repatriation of all fellow Dubliners lost to this toilet by the Lee through bouts of decentralisation and what not down thru the years....

In summary

Cork: The Irish Examiner

Dublin: The Irish Times

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

markok84 wrote: »
    ye're all just jealous......

of Dublin? Think your right.

stepbar wrote: »
    Self love isn't a bad thing at all <drops the hand> haw haw haw lol

Haha V good:D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Dubs are just as much if not more arrogant than Corkonians.

Anyone who calls everyone from outside of Dublin a "culchie" or refers to areas oustide of Dublin as "in the sticks" is seriously delusional/not well travelled/thick.

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Cork is different. They dont want to be part of Ireland. If you cut it off from the rest of Ireland, the people of Cork would actually prefere it. Since 90% of Corkonians are self loving a-holes. (I btw am a Corkonian who escaped Cork sh!tty!):D:D

Maybe you just had/have a crap sense of humour..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭corkie

tech2 wrote: »
    With the new ice age around the corner we might (hopefully) see Cork brancing off from the republic as a little tiny island.

Cork City Centre is already a little tiny island on the river!

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Advertisement

kraggy wrote: »
    Dubs are just as much if not more arrogant than Corkonians.

Anyone who calls everyone from outside of Dublin a "culchie" or refers to areas oustide of Dublin as "in the sticks" is seriously delusional/not well travelled/thick.

As a Corkonian that lived in Dublin, I can honestly say, that I prefered trying to walk my newborn son arouns Grafton Street than Patricks Street in Cork. Cork is full of arrogant and self centred people.

In Dublinia if an elderly person gets on the Luas/Bus people give them a seat, In Cork tough sh!te, they dont care if your elderly/diabled!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement