Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dead Man's Knock!

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭pistonsvox

Just got home and my parents just told me they awoke with 3 loud bangs of the door knocker. Didn't see or hear anyone running away or anything. Worried now....

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭lisatiffany

pistonsvox wrote: »
    Just got home and my parents just told me they awoke with 3 loud bangs of the door knocker. Didn't see or hear anyone running away or anything. Worried now....

That's the thing though if its an external front door that leads onto a street or any area frequented by enough people it may have just been some kids. When it happens inside your house like on a bedroom door or somewhere like that its easier to rule out a human agent.

I'm not saying it wasn't what you think it might be, you even said no one was heard running away. It might all be okay, the knocks usually happen either at the point of a soul departing or within a few hours of it. My own experience is it's at the same time a person leaves this life and the knocks are like a good bye rather than something sinister. I checked the time of when I heard it to the time of someone I knew passing and the hospital pronounced them dead at the same time I heard the knocks.

We don't really know enough about the I suppose soul or astral body outside of this body to say that a few knocks on a door is impossible. I'm sure it takes a tremendous amount of energy for a spirit to interact with solid matter on this plane and to learn how to harness it but maybe at the point of death its pure concentrated energy and emotion that makes it possible. There is also the possibility that its another spirit maybe even guardian angel coming to to receive the person passing. A picture falling is another similar type of occurrence but the knocks definitely seem to be more common.

@pistonsvox - Try not to worry it may have been something completely unrelated, not all kids make a lot of noise running away. It may even been someone drunk at the wrong house then after they knocked they moved on, time seems to have a lot to do with it too. If its at night its more common and I think its because in the dark our clairvoyant and clairaudent skills are more heightened so we are more susceptible to receiving messages. It seems the veil between our world and the spirit world is at its thinnest between 3:00am and 4:00am. what time did your parents hear the knocks?

In the human concept of time it seems like from 3:00am to 4:00 our plane is at its least active in terms of physical activity, so any given place within this time frame is more than likely at its stillest. If the spirit world has any concept of time then its most likely circular and not linear so time zones are not relevant. Because the veil is not physical it can thicken or get thinner like a large collection of energy. Between 3:00am and 4:00 we are a lot more aware of the spirit world because its much closer to us at that point, its at this peak that spiritual activity is at its highest and messages from spirits, lucid dreaming and astral travel are more accessible.

My theory is when people hear those knocks a lot of the time its between those hours because the other side knows you are more in tune with what they are trying to project. When I hear of bad murders that happened between those hours my initial thought is they were more susceptible to demonic influence (not possession) and carried them out because of it. I'm getting a little off topic but do you know what time your parents heard those knocks?, it happens in the daytime too but its mostly at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭pistonsvox

@pistonsvox - Try not to worry it may have been something completely unrelated, not all kids make a lot of noise running away. It may even been someone drunk at the wrong house then after they knocked they moved on, time seems to have a lot to do with it too. If its at night its more common and I think its because in the dark our clairvoyant and clairaudent skills are more heightened so we are more susceptible to receiving messages. It seems the veil between our world and the spirit world is at its thinnest between 3:00am and 4:00am. what time did your parents hear the knocks?

In the human concept of time it seems like from 3:00am to 4:00 our plane is at its least active in terms of physical activity, so any given place within this time frame is more than likely at its stillest. If the spirit world has any concept of time then its most likely circular and not linear so time zones are not relevant. Because the veil is not physical it can thicken or get thinner like a large collection of energy. Between 3:00am and 4:00 we are a lot more aware of the spirit world because its much closer to us at that point, its at this peak that spiritual activity is at its highest and messages from spirits, lucid dreaming and astral travel are more accessible.

My theory is when people hear those knocks a lot of the time its between those hours because the other side knows you are more in tune with what they are trying to project. When I hear of bad murders that happened between those hours my initial thought is they were more susceptible to demonic influence (not possession) and carried them out because of it. I'm getting a little off topic but do you know what time your parents heard those knocks?, it happens in the daytime too but its mostly at night.

Cheers for the reply! Quite interesting! They heard them at 3.50am. Were actually having my aunts 1st death anniversary mass today, the actual anniversary isn't till next week though. Dunno if it'd be anything related! Couldn't sleep for ages after hearing about it though haha. It could have possibly been some drunk people doing nik naks, or more worryingly someone checking to see if we had a working alarm... But the fact they didn't hear laughing, running or shouting etc is just odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

Heard of the 3 knocks on a back Kitchen door recently in a County Galway Rural area that happened about 7am in the morning , people got up and no one to be seen and dog did not bark either which was unusual, no sign of anyone dying since though.

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Years ago while living with my (ex) fiancé, we were in the kitchen with our dog and we heard 3 loud knocks on front door. Dog ran barking into the livingroom and when I went to door nobody there. We had a sensor light that hadn't been turned on too. Didn't think too much of it until the following day when her mum had gotten word that fella the used to live in the house had died. Wudnt say I'm an absolute believer in these things but having that happen really made me think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

368100 wrote: »
    Years ago while living with my (ex) fiancé, we were in the kitchen with our dog and we heard 3 loud knocks on front door. Dog ran barking into the livingroom and when I went to door nobody there. We had a sensor light that hadn't been turned on too. Didn't think too much of it until the following day when her mum had gotten word that fella the used to live in the house had died. Wudnt say I'm an absolute believer in these things but having that happen really made me think.

Your story reminded me of something similar that happened at my family's home last year. I was home that weekend and was up fairly late (it was about 12:30am), when I suddenly heard what sounded like knocking using gloves on my parents' bedroom window, swiftly followed by the muffled voices of two men outside that same window.

I was in the kitchen at the time and their bedroom is about five metres down a hallway from there, but I could still hear it clearly. Then I heard my mother say something in response to the knocking and voices. Now, my father was upstairs in the bathroom at the time, but he came rushing downstairs after he had heard exactly what I heard.

Neither him, myself or my mother had a clue who or what it was, so myself and my father ventured outside to see who was there. We noticed the outside sensor light covering the perimeter of the house hadn't been activated at all, and their dog, who's as sharp as fcuk, hadn't even barked or reacted to the same racket we had heard. We couldn't see anyone around, so we were really scratching our heads in confusion. Everyone went to bed and we just left it at that.

The following morning, we found out that a young friend of my sister's had been killed in a car collision in the early hours. In fact, around the same time that the three of us had heard the knocking and muffled voices outside the window.

Also, that same morning, I noticed I had a text that had been sent at around 2am from another sister, who lives in Germany, saying she had been awakened suddenly shortly before then with a dreaded feeling that something was wrong at home (in my parents' home, where I was). She isn't in the habit of texting me about things like that, but they seem to be rare as far she's concerned anyway.

Now, I don't have the foggiest clue how those three incidents could possibly be 'connected' in any way, but I thought it was a bit of a strange coincidence all the same. I've heard that three knocks portend death, but the knocks we heard that night/morning were made so close together, i.e. quick knocking, I can't be sure how many knocks were made, tbh.

We found it all very strange anyway. If ever there was a case of things going 'bump in the night'. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭aoife1991

Similar to the knocking, a lady who worked with my mum, her mother was a very devote catholic and had a child of Prague statuette in her kitchen that she was always saying prayers to for good weather, good health and you know, general well being. Her husband had died many years before that and she was living all on her own. when the mother died, D (the daughter that worked with my mum) was in her mother's house with her sister, clearing up and sorting out her stuff when they heard a weird breaking noise in the kitchen. They went down and saw the COP statuette that had previously been on the table, in bits all over the floor. Spooky!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

The picture in the room I'm sitting in fell of the wall a few weeks ago after being on the wall for probably longer than I've been alive, scared the life out of me! But no one died. :P

My sister knocked on the window for me to let her in while I read this thread, also scared me, haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Maestro07

This thread is 4 years old & the fact that I am even typing right now at 4:10 am should tell you that I am telling the truth, It's my late father's anniversary next month he passed away after been giving 6 weeks to live, I remember being in work at about 3am looking through the internet on cancer sites praying I could find a way to stop the cancer that was killing my father, I work in a small residential bungelow with two other nurses working about 50 feet either side of me in other bungelow's, I put the laptop down to make myself a cup of coffee & just as I was doing so there was 3 very loud knocks on the front door, now the thing is the front door & the kitchen I stood in at the time are about 10 feet apart, it took me less than 3 seconds literally to open that door the knocks were loud & fast & I thought somebody was in trouble just from the loudness of them, when I opened the door nobody was there, I walked around the entire bungelow outside & nobody was there, I rang both ladies on either side & asked if it was them at my door & both said they did not leave their bungelow's at anytime. Really I knew immediately what this meant when I opened that door & nobody was there, I told my Mam about this the next day & she said the same thing happened to her the very same night. I laugh about this & have told many people what happened, people can say what they like here but like I said it took me 2 to 3 second to open a door that was being banged down to find nobody there. Alot of thing's happened after my father's passing & even now as we speak I am looking at a picture of his graveside & clear as day you can see his face to the the right of the picture, I have shown 3 or 4 of my Dad's close friends this pic & the hair's on their neck stood up, I don't know some people believe & some don't, I know for a fact that there is more after this life.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭ticklebelly7

We hear the knocks in our family - it's no big deal. Others have the banshee, or even a white blackbird in the case of one friend's family.

Two examples:
    - we live in London. Me Ma worked as a cook in a student hall of residence back in the 70s. She was in the cloakroom getting ready to go home when bang! bang! bang! came from the back door which was beside the cloakroom. She opened the door. No-one there. She came home and told me about it. In the early hours of the morning my uncle called round - they were the only ones with a phone - and he'd come to tell us that they'd had a call from Ireland to say my grandfather had died. We went up to tell me Ma. She was sitting up waiting for the news. She hadn't been asleep all night because she knew what was coming.

- several years later we'd moved house. We were now in a place where my bedroom was beside the front door. I heard a knocking one night. I went and opened the door. No-one. I also heard footsteps walking up and down outside my bedroom window. I opened the door again but no-one was there. (We're not on the street, you need to come in through a gate, down some stairs and walk along a path to the front door - you can't just knock and run away). I knew exactly what it meant. Next morning my aunt came over to say they'd had a call during the night to say that my granny had died.

It wasn't scary. It was quite reassuring to know that someone was taking the time to warn us of what had happened so we'd be ready when the news came through from Ireland.

I don't know what is going on. Most things have an explanation. But I don't understand everything. And on Halloween I leave a candle burning in the window to light the way home for those who might want to visit me. Does no harm to anyone and at the very least, it commemorates those who've gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭oceanman

We hear the knocks in our family - it's no big deal. Others have the banshee, or even a white blackbird in the case of one friend's family.

Two examples:
    - we live in London. Me Ma worked as a cook in a student hall of residence back in the 70s. She was in the cloakroom getting ready to go home when bang! bang! bang! came from the back door which was beside the cloakroom. She opened the door. No-one there. She came home and told me about it. In the early hours of the morning my uncle called round - they were the only ones with a phone - and he'd come to tell us that they'd had a call from Ireland to say my grandfather had died. We went up to tell me Ma. She was sitting up waiting for the news. She hadn't been asleep all night because she knew what was coming.

- several years later we'd moved house. We were now in a place where my bedroom was beside the front door. I heard a knocking one night. I went and opened the door. No-one. I also heard footsteps walking up and down outside my bedroom window. I opened the door again but no-one was there. (We're not on the street, you need to come in through a gate, down some stairs and walk along a path to the front door - you can't just knock and run away). I knew exactly what it meant. Next morning my aunt came over to say they'd had a call during the night to say that my granny had died.

It wasn't scary. It was quite reassuring to know that someone was taking the time to warn us of what had happened so we'd be ready when the news came through from Ireland.

I don't know what is going on. Most things have an explanation. But I don't understand everything. And on Halloween I leave a candle burning in the window to light the way home for those who might want to visit me. Does no harm to anyone and at the very least, it commemorates those who've gone.
    very well put, good post.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭echo.lima

I've experienced the "dead mans knock" before. Here's a bit of background.

My Father was diagnosed with severe cancer in 2007 and was rushed in for an operation, he spent two weeks in hospital and was then sent home to recuperate and prepare for his chemo treatment, given the nature of the operation he was on a liquid diet for the time he was in hospital and was gradually re-introducing solids. I remember coming home from the gym late one evening in late may and my dad was in good form and was taking the whole operation in his stride, he'd had some dinner and quickly became unwell. I live a few doors down from his place and was just about to turn in for the night when he called telling me he was in severe pain. I legged it up to his house and found him literally doubled up on the floor and roaring with pain, I'd never heard anyone roar like that before. We called the ambulance and a fire tender, but about 5 minutes before they arrived myself and my uncle heard three knocks at the door, it was surreal three sharp thumps, I didnt know anything about the dead mans knock at the time but I went down stairs and not a sinner in sight. I went back up to my uncle who was trying to calm my old man down and he just looked at me.. Anyway the DFB arrived and carted my dad off to hospital, it turned out there was a complication with the surgery and he had some kind of intestinal blockage/bleeding and came pretty close to deaths door, He's still with us today, stronger than ever. But that was my brush with the paranormal. It wasn't his time to go but if we had of delayed calling for help I reckon he would have went on us.

Advertisement