Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dead Man's Knock!

Options
  • 03-05-2009 10:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭

Has anyone ever heard of the dead man's knock, it's supposed to happen late at night and then 3 loud knocks on the front door!. Now, I have'nt heard of this in years but, what's supposed to happen, My mother said to open the front door and the back door and let the sprit pass through the house:eek: then someone else said that it fortells a death!????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭pandamoanium

Family friends of hours have often told us of the story whereby their grandmother was awoken in the middle of the night one night by someone knocking at the door - went down to answer and lo and behold when they open the door there's no-one there.

So she went back to bed and the next day, or a few days later gets word that the Titanic had sunk - with her son onboard who unfortuntely died on it.

The time the knock came to the door would have been around the time the Titanic sunk at and when presumably her son died..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭magenta73

so something like the banshee maybe? I wonder does it follow family names?

A friend of mine works with a girl that leave's bowls of fruit out on Halloween night for the passing sprits,:eek: creepy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

We had a neighbour who used to visit quite often and would give a distinct knock on the door. About a week after he died, there was the same knock on the door at the normal time he would visit, of course there was no one there .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

Never heard of this as a phemomonon before, but it happened to me about 20 years ago. I was in the house on my own when I was woken up at about 2 am by three distinct knocks on my bedroom door. As I knew there should have been no one else at home I called out "who's there?" When there was no answer and I could hear nothing furher I just assumed I had dreamed it and went back to sleep. When I got up the next morning my bedroom door was bolted closed from the outside and I had to climb out the window and let myself in the front door :eek:

Go figure!

holy bejeebus.........:eek: did anything else ever happen in the house, like was this the first time anything like that happened?

• Advertisement

magenta73 wrote: »
    holy bejeebus.........:eek: did anything else ever happen in the house, like was this the first time anything like that happened?

:p

I do remember as a kid I would hear someone walking on a wooden floor, even though all the rooms in the house had carpet, it is my family home and I still live there, none of my brothers or sisters ever mentioned anything strange though!

another friend has just admitted that when her mam was very ill in hospital, she was at home alone, and it was late and she got 3 knocks on the cole house door, and she knew either her mam had just passed or was just about to , she went straight back to the hospital and her mam passed 2 hours later..............so mabe in some cases it does fortell a death?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Aysha

I havent heard of this before but the night my grandad died, some members of my family woke and heard him coughing even though he was in hospital and soon afterwards the hospital called to say he had passed away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 lexsis35

I have experienced the 3 knocks before a cousin died, a few days before she died, at about 10.30 at nite- I was sat watching the idiot box and as clear as day I heard 3 knocks to my window, of course there was no one there and my cousin died a few days later(her death although no surprise her death was not expected so soon), and maybe I am just super cool ahem lol, when my grandad was dying (many moons ago) he was very old and frail, however the at the time he was drawing his last breath I heard the banshee, have to say it was horrible and scared the bejesus out of me but I was only 12yrs old and didn't know what the banshee was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 lexsis35

Never heard of this as a phemomonon before, but it happened to me about 20 years ago. I was in the house on my own when I was woken up at about 2 am by three distinct knocks on my bedroom door. As I knew there should have been no one else at home I called out "who's there?" When there was no answer and I could hear nothing furher I just assumed I had dreamed it and went back to sleep. When I got up the next morning my bedroom door was bolted closed from the outside and I had to climb out the window and let myself in the front door :eek:

Go figure!

just read that properly - oh sweet mother of jesus!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Bee

An elderley Franciscan a deeply spiritual individual, advised me that people who hear it either have a link with a recently departed soul or are in some ways sympathetic to a soul in need. One who occasionally hears these knocks should at least say a prayer for who ever, what ever that may have knocked at their door in need.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

lexsis35 wrote: »
    just read that properly - oh sweet mother of jesus!!!

Could have been a burglar or somebody else checking if anybody home...when found out somebody was there he bolted it to stop you chasing him.

maninasia wrote: »
    Could have been a burglar or somebody else checking if anybody home...when found out somebody was there he bolted it to stop you chasing him.

I doubt it, there was nothing disturbed that I noticed and no signs of a break in, and surely I would have heard more movement, not to mention that when have you ever heard of a burgler knocking to see if anyone was home while they were in the house? :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

3 knocks on the door, you answer and no one is there? We called them "nik naks" when i was a youngster! :D

Seriously tho, this is one paranormal phenomenon that i never gave any credibility too. I only ever heard anecdotal stories so it sounded more like superstition to me.

faceman wrote: »
    3 knocks on the door, you answer and no one is there? We called them "nik naks" when i was a youngster! :D

Seriously tho, this is one paranormal phenomenon that i never gave any credibility too. I only ever heard anecdotal stories so it sounded more like superstition to me.

On my bedroom door? They'd want some neck:p

Even though it happened to me, I had never heard of it as a phenomenon either until I saw this thread.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

On my bedroom door? They'd want some neck:p

Even though it happened to me, I had never heard of it as a phenomenon either until I saw this thread.

Admittedly all the stories Ive heard up to now, were on front or back doors. Although one tale did involve the door of a caravan, buts that a different story! ;)

Your story is by far the most unique Ive heard but probably falls into another category! (such as "its time to perform an exorcism and move the hell out" :D)

faceman wrote: »
    Admittedly all the stories Ive heard up to now, were on front or back doors. Although one tale did involve the door of a caravan, buts that a different story! ;)

Your story is by far the most unique Ive heard but probably falls into another category! (such as "its time to perform an exorcism and move the hell out" :D)

I have lived there all my life and this was 20+ years ago, funny though I don't remember being the least bit scared or freaked out at the time. Though if I was in a new house and it happened to me now I think I would agree with your second statment :p

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭feelio

Leaving aside knocks, the night my grandmother passed away in hospital 2 years ago with my family along side her, just before she passed, my brother & my uncle heard sounds of a bicycle, ringing type sound in the background, can anyone answer me that?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Someone was riding by outdoors on a bicycle?

Not at 3am in the morning it was quiet as you could imagine, not funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Not trying to be funny. Surely someone riding a bike at 3am is not beyond the bounds of possibility. And I would think you'd be more likely to be able to hear it at 3am as it is so very quiet all around.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭smithcity

It's like the legend of the tommyknockers. Miners used to have stories that if you heard banging and knocking down in the mine in sections that shouldn't have people working, it would be followed by a disaster like a collapse.

But more on topic, I remember a couple of weeks before my father died, waking up to the sound of someone hammering on my bedroom door. I was dopey and drowsey and thought it was a dream.

Not trying to be funny. Surely someone riding a bike at 3am is not beyond the bounds of possibility. And I would think you'd be more likely to be able to hear it at 3am as it is so very quiet all around.

Sound, i was just told that & i agree that this is a possibility outside when it's quiet, i'll leave it at that.

feelio wrote: »
    Leaving aside knocks, the night my grandmother passed away in hospital 2 years ago with my family along side her, just before she passed, my brother & my uncle heard sounds of a bicycle, ringing type sound in the background, can anyone answer me that?:confused:

(Terrible pun alert) This does ring a bell! (Told you) Although I can't remember where I came across it, I will see if I can find anything, I think it might be along the same lines, the idea that a departed soul is letting you know that they are going or trying to say goodbye. In my own case it wasn't related to any deaths at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

Why would anyone have a bolt on the outside of their bedroom door?

Why would anyone have a bolt on the outside of their bedroom door?

What does that matter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

What does that matter?

Cos it's fecking wierd. Like a barn or something. Does your door open in half so you can stick your head out to get fed?

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Fintomiginto

Overblood wrote: »
    Cos it's fecking wierd. Like a barn or something. Does your door open in half so you can stick your head out to get fed?

:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭discostick12

I remember hearing this story from my dad. He told me that when he lived in his old flat where he grew up he was awoken one night by hearing three loud knocks on the front there, he said it was around 3 in the morning and thought one of my uncles forgot his key but when he answered it no one was there so he went back to bed, the next morning the family woke up and couldn't open the bathroom door when they finally got it to open my uncle was lying on the floor after suffering from a brain tumor.

Needless to say I don't know how true the story is but it freaked me out!!

Cool thread:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

I doubt it, there was nothing disturbed that I noticed and no signs of a break in, and surely I would have heard more movement, not to mention that when have you ever heard of a burgler knocking to see if anyone was home while they were in the house? :p

So what's more likely, a ghost locking a door than a burglar or trespasser :)

Advertisement