Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stupid and beautiful or smart and ugly

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Silly question that, asking people to choose between 2 set options as if nothing else matters, when such a wide array of individuals exist in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

Somewhere in the middle. Brains AND beauty are generally too much to ask for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

banquo wrote: »
    My girlfriend has both, so...

Ugly annnnd stupid?!

Wow :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

My bf has both brains and hotness. Me I'd like to think I'm average in looks and above average intelligence. When it comes down to it though mind matters most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭briktop

stupid and ugly ,
    gigadee , gigadee , GIG-A-DEE !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

I'm not particularly smart nor beautiful.

I'd go with with being better looking.

The whole "chicks dig modesty" angle.
    Interesting ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭briktop

Nightwish wrote: »
    My bf has both brains and hotness. Me I'd like to think I'm average in looks and above average intelligence. When it comes down to it though mind matters most.

i would keep an eye on your BF if i was you

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Smart and ugly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

Just because someone is stupid doesn't mean they're not a nice, interesting person with an attractive personality, y'know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Smart women are more likely to be single - they are just as likely to be pretty -just because guys feel intimidated and shy.

You are more likely to hook up at an MBA enrolment day or Open University Course than a singles bar.

Lets hear it for smart women.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Intelligence is part of beauty for me. Banging someone beaufitul is overshadowed by spending the remaining time wishing they would STFU.
    Parsley wrote: »
    Just because someone is stupid doesn't mean they're not a nice, interesting person with an attractive personality, y'know.

That's not the point. You want to interact with someone who understands the things you understand and converse with you on a equal (or near to it) level.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Seems I am going to type then - I always found intelligent men attractive, their looks were secondary at best, the idea of not being able to have an intelligent conversation with a partner is foreign to me...luckily I got both with my husband. I think that there is an assumption that "beautiful" people are more stupid, have not found that to be the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Wibbs wrote: »
    Meh that survey is hardly news really, men go for looks as a primary trigger and women while attracted to looks look for other things.

Personally as a female, and not being blind, I could only go out with someone I was physically attracted to.

Men that are in the public eye and in the media when I was growing up all came in completely different shapes and sizes.
    Men grow up with a very narrow definition of what is actually beautiful in a women. They get the same body shapes and looks thrown at them all the time wether its Girls aloud,actresses or tv presenters they are all grown out of the same mould of western beauty. Hence they equate the Chantelle type as being beautiful and the 'ordinary' Gail Trimble type as ugly.

Im sure If we had tall,dark and handsome men with impossibly amazing bodies thrown in our faces all the time wether it was in our morning paper, films, tv, adverts etc then there would be a shift in what women are led to believe is desirable qualities in a man and looks would come a lot more important in picking a male partner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭monellia

yermandan wrote: »
    Its the same old argument, beauty AND intelligence are in the eye of the beholder!!!! Who would be with someone they thought was stupid anyway!!!
    73% of men, according to the news link URL posted.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

panda100 wrote: »
    Personally as a female, and not being blind, I could only go out with someone I was physically attracted to.

Men that are in the public eye and in the media when I was growing up all came in completely different shapes and sizes.
    Men grow up with a very narrow definition of what is actually beautiful in a women. They get the same body shapes and looks thrown at them all the time wether its Girls aloud,actresses or tv presenters they are all grown out of the same mould of western beauty. Hence they equate the Chantelle type as being beautiful and the 'ordinary' Gail Trimble type as ugly.

Im sure If we had tall,dark and handsome men with impossibly amazing bodies thrown in our faces all the time wether it was in our morning paper, films, tv, adverts etc then there would be a shift in what women are led to believe is desirable qualities in a man and looks would come a lot more important in picking a male partner.
    I do see where you are coming from - but what about chemistry, I have found that rarely equates to looks? A sexy voice that I could actually talk to would do a lot more for me.

I would hope that men are not shallow enough to ascribe to the tabloid version of what is beautiful in women, surely they cant? Would never want to be a trophy wife in any case. I do think that there is a lot of pressure on men too but it is from other men, not women - the same with women, there is pressure on us from other women, not men, if that makes any sense. Just as a sort of example - there is a lot of pressure on women by women to wear makeup and have tans, from speaking to men I have heard that I lot of them hate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

When you're beautiful people look at you.
    When you're smart people listen to you.

You lose your looks, but your character remains with you.

Smart and ugly for me if I had to choose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

This argument has been running since Athens was a major world player 2700 years ago (or so). It wasn't resolved then and it's not going to be resolved now.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Ash_M

As long as they're not visually repulsive, I much prefer intelligence.
    That link said something about the sex being better with a good looking one. Possibly, but if there's nothing to talk about afterwards, nah thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Ye know, it's possible to be pretty and smart, or indeed ugly and thick (poor feckers). This thread reminds of that tv show ''Beauty and the Geek"- all the women are beautiful (and therefore stupid) or and the men are clever and therefore ugly.

It would be far more interesting to have something with really good looking stupid guys and ugly smart girls.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Oh no I think there would be somewhat of a shift, but even as it is advertising and the ideal of male beauty that is pushed is above and beyond 95% of men to achieve. The rippling six pack etc. I would still be of the opinion that ignoring the small percentage at any one time that meet up with whatever the society of the time sees as "perfection" and I would still think that women will be regarded more for their looks than men. It has been that way pretty much forever. Looks in women are much more an expression of their reproductive fitness than in men, where that is less of an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Wibbs wrote: »
    Oh no I think there would be somewhat of a shift, but even as it is advertising and the ideal of male beauty that is pushed is above and beyond 95% of men to achieve. The rippling six pack etc. I would still be of the opinion that ignoring the small percentage at any one time that meet up with whatever the society of the time sees as "perfection" and I would still think that women will be regarded more for their looks than men. It has been that way pretty much forever. Looks in women are much more an expression of their reproductive fitness than in men, where that is less of an issue.

This reminds me of the South Park episode- the one where the girls made a list of the best-looking boys, with Kyle being deemed the ugliest, forcing him to investigate the real reason for the list.

Turns out any profession of interest in looks by women is all an elaborate ploy to buy expensive shoes :p

Seriously though,
    I always wonder how true the "women less interested in looks" thing is.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Oh they defo are. I would just contend that it makes up less of the overall package than for men. It varies between individual men and women of course and it's more complex and subtle than a post in AH will allow:D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

tech77 wrote: »
    Seriously though,
    I always wonder how true the "women not interested in looks" thing is.

I can only speak for myself, but if it was an either/or situation, I'd much rather be in the company of someone who was 'only' interesting and clever, than someone who was 'only' good looking.

so looks beats intellect for you. Fair enough.
    Men grow up with a very narrow definition of what is actually beautiful in a women. They get the same body shapes and looks thrown at them all the time wether its Girls aloud,actresses or tv presenters they are all grown out of the same mould of western beauty.

Anyone interested in the beauty myth should understand that you have 3 billion women in the world and only around 8 supermodels.

Great link here on media stereotypes and perceptions

http://www.medialiteracy.net/pdfs/SM_Body_Image.pdf

Really - but if you disregard modern stereotypes you have a different point of view.Marlyn Monroe would be deemed fat by modern standards but is deireable to men.

Guys are less into the beauty myth which is why stereotypes like the supermodels dont cut it and Jordan beats Kate Moss with the lads. Amy Whinehouse - shudder.

So by definition beauty depends on what most guys consider sexy is different to what women percieve it to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Abigayle wrote: »
    Im glad you didnt use her name in that post. Her name and 'goods' wouldnt work together.. I'd be all for anybody checking out the goods befor buying, tbph.

This may be a good time to bring up your avatar though ;)

but shes a racist and hes gay :D:P

Id have to say some one i can talk to :cool:

What would you say:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

CDfm wrote: »
    What would you say:rolleyes:

Suck it beautiful :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Suck it beautiful :pac:

It's "suck me, beautiful" :p

I've seen it and Superbad and unhealthy amount of times:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,335 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Inbred and brain dead

• Registered Users Posts: 17,427 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

The solution is as follows.

There was a man who had 3 girlfriends, but he did not know which one to marry. So he decided to give each 1 $5000 and see how each of them spent it.

The first 1 went out and got a total makeover with the money. She got new clothes, a new hairdo, manicure, pedicure, the works, and tells the man, "I spent the money so I could look pretty for you because I love you so much."
    The 2nd one went out and bought new golf clubs, a CD player, a television, and a stereo and gave them to the man. She said, "I bought these gifts for you with the money because I love you so much." The 3rd one takes the $5000 and invests it in the stock market, doubles her investment, returns the $5000 to the man and reinvests the rest. She says, "I am investing the rest of the money for our future because I love you so much."

The man thought hard about how each of the women spent the money.
    Finally, being a man he decided to marry the one with the biggest tits.