Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toshiba 37"Regza HD LCD TV €499 Tesco

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Little A

Does anyone know if Calre Hall or Clearwater have these?

Dman (or anyone who got one) - can you clarify the issue mentioned about only getting UK channels or was that a wind up??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

I think they are referring to Freeview. The TV has a built in Freeview tuner and they were probably expecting to get Freeview channels in Ireland but you can't (well some near the border can).

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭ninty

Had 3 in Artane Castle last night

• Registered Users Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭Barr

smccarrick wrote: »
    Seriously folk- if you can afford it- pay the EUR200 extra for the Samsung.....

Why would you want to pay an extra 50% for a similar tv as a matter of interest ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Barr wrote: »
    Why would you want to pay an extra 50% for a similar tv as a matter of interest ?

The quality of the panel is on a totally different level. The Samsung is of an incredibly high quality- the Toshiba- while satisfactory- is nothing special at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Anyone have the model number of the samsung 37"?

I would think that despite the samsung being a better set, it is nowhere near worth 200€ more. These are HD ready sets that will more than likely mainly be used just for normal SD tv watching, and in that regard i cant see there being any major difference

Whats more, the tosh is a bargain at its price where the samsung is not

smccarrick wrote: »
    The quality of the panel is on a totally different level. The Samsung is of an incredibly high quality- the Toshiba- while satisfactory- is nothing special at all.

I'd agree that the Samsung is probably a better set , but you cant justify the price difference. If the Samsung was full HD , I'd say fair enough but it isn't. I actually prefer the look of the Toshiba - its very streamlined.

The Toshiba is a lovely looking Tv with a nice glossy black on the front.
    SD quality is nice, nothing brilliant but very watchable.
    The Freeview tuner might come in handy for some too.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Nanoc

does the TV not come with the stndard cable connect we use here or is it only freeview?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

Are any of these tellies compatible with our new TV system?
    They all seem to be for the UK market. A lot of people are
    going to be seriously pissed off if they find their new 'digital ready',
    'integrated digital tuner', 'iDigital' etc... sets are not suitable for the
    Irish MPEG-4 system.

• Advertisement

hbr wrote: »
    Are any of these tellies compatible with our new TV system?
    They all seem to be for the UK market. A lot of people are
    going to be seriously pissed off if they find their new 'digital ready',
    'integrated digital tuner', 'iDigital' etc... sets are not suitable for the
    Irish MPEG-4 system.

Ive only seen very expensive sets with mpeg-4 , they dont seem to be many of them about tbh.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Ive only seen very expensive sets with mpeg-4 , they dont seem to be many of them about tbh.

Not entirely true. Any of the more recent sets- are pretty much universally MPEG4 DVB-T compliant. Its more the vintage of the set- rather than the price- that is indicative of MPEG4 compatibility.

With most of the UK Freeview sets- you can plonk an MPEG4 Conax CAM in the cam slot- upgrading it to MPEG4 for about EUR50.

S.

Probabaly a silly question but when a tv has DVB-T does this mean it also has MPEG-4 ?

Probabaly a silly question but when a tv has DVB-T does this mean it also has MPEG-4 ?
    No I don't think so. Like in the UK I think it is MPEG 2 they use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 shirann

hi guys, i recently bought one of these tv's, can anyone help me with the picture settings and sound setting, i just can't seem to get it right.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

shirann wrote: »
    hi guys, i recently bought one of these tv's, can anyone help me with the picture settings and sound setting, i just can't seem to get it right.:confused:

I have a 37" Toshiba Regza from iBood - about a year ago [?]

Think its pretty much the same panel with a different model number.

Anyway got the below from AV Forums a year ago and pasted it into a Word Doc which I just found on my desktop..... Can't remember exactly which parts of the below I used but if you play around you should def. get settings to suit your own tastes.

I'm very happy with the quality; with a good HD input I think the results are absolutely stunning :D

I don't have anything specific, but typically I'd keep the Backlight low, the Contrast high, and the Brightness and Saturation/Colour near the middle. And turn most of the "value added" features off.

The settings out of the box are horiffic to say the least so do the opposite and get that backlight way down (will save your screen in the long run too ).

Try these, preferably in an almost dark room (small light on in the background)

Backlight 25-30
    Contrast 95-100
    Brightness 65-70
    Colour 40-45
    Black Stretch - OFF
    Colour Management - OFF
    MPEG NR - OFF
    Active Backlight - OFF
    Tint +20
    Sharpness -12

Works for me

I've got a 37".

Active Backlight OFF
    Backlight 50
    Contrast 100
    Brightness 54
    Colour 36
    Tint 0
    Sharpness -20
    Black stretch Off
    MPEG NR Off
    DNR Off
    Colour temp Warm

I have to say I am still playing around with it though. This setup seems to the best compromise I can come up with for watching Blue Ray discs, Standard Def discs, Freeview and playing a few games on the PS3.

My settings:

Backlight 23
    Contrast 73
    Brightness 46
    Colour 39
    Tint 0
    Sharpness +10
    Black Stretch Off
    MPEG NR Middle
    DNR Low
    Colour Temperature Cool

Active Backlight Control Off