Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seatbelts, do you wear them?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I have a heavy foot, so I wear seat belts always. I'm young and don't need my face modified by the windshield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

I have a heavy foot, so I wear seat belts always. I'm young and don't need my face modified by the windshield.

Funny you should mention that.
    I never wore a belt in my early driving days.
    In '93, I crashed badly & was thrown thru the windscreen & hit a wall.
    I had bad head/facial injuries.

Did I wear a safety belt after that? Emm no.

Diff world then.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭AlkalineAcid

Does anyone ever feel like they're missing a seat belt in the cinema? The seats remind me of car seats so I feel naked sometimes. Am I the only one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

The injuries to my face were no prob, cos I was not good looking to start with.:)

Later in'95 I bought a Ford Capri & somehow, I kept gettin stopped by the guards.

Usually, I would throw on the belt if I saw a checkpoint ahead, no probs.

Capris have long doors, however, So by the time I'd put on the belt I'd have killed all the cops on the checkpoint.

Solution; Wear the belt all the time!

Been doing it ever since.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Does anyone ever feel like they're missing a seat belt in the cinema? The seats remind me of car seats so I feel naked sometimes. Am I the only one?
    What? When you're watching Grand Theft Auto or The Fast and the Furious? Me too!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Of course I do. What kind of sap doesn't?

I saw a person driving a kid who was standing up in the front seat. On the motorway.

What class of utter fool would do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

stovelid wrote: »
    Of course I do. What kind of sap doesn't?
    Agreed. Question borders on the ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Strangely, you're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Don't wear a seatbelt and you deserve what's coming to you.
    It takes less than 5 seconds and it offers huge benefits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I don't even have to think about it, it's sort of a reflex, totally automatic. My mum drives me nuts though, she never puts one on, then I have to do the whole nagging "put on the belt or I'm not driving". She puts it on, then ten minutes later I look in the mirror and it's off again. And SHE gets huffy when I ask her again. "Ah but it's sooo uncomfortable)

(It's a terrible thing to say, but it's uncomfortable because she is fat...which in my book is alll the more reason to wear one, esp if she is sitting in the back.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Chocoholic84

Hagar wrote: »
    Only in the car.

Not on a bus?

I always wear my belt. My b/f is really strict about that, before I met him I rarely put it on in the back seat, but I always ALWAYS do now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I've often thought that too.

It's similar to when you walk up a stopped escalator. It just doesn't feel right and you can hardly move your legs. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

Confab wrote: »
    I was in the back of a taxi the other day, four pax in the car (my parents and brother). My mum was in the middle, she's a touch on the wide side and couldn't be bothered putting her belt on (she always wears it when driving and usually as pax).

It was a tense ride home. We were very annoyed at her for not wearing it.

Inertial reels and pyro pretensioners ftw.

What did you just say?

OT: Always wear a seatbelt, pisses me off when people don't wear one, happens in six seater taxi's a bit. Thankfully my mates are copped on and always wear them.

If someone refused to put one on in my car, they can walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

who doesn't wear a seatbelt in this day and age?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

who doesn't wear a seatbelt in this day and age?

The same people who talk on their mobiles or eat while driving. You know, idiots.

The amount of people i saw over the bank holiday weekend trying to drive while eating an ice cream was shocking. Would it kill the to wait till they got home or pull over or whatever to stuff their faces?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

blow69 wrote: »
    Anyone who doesn't wear a seatbelt deserves to be shot!

No need, they'll be taken care of soon enough
    ScumLord wrote: »
    It's instinct at this stage, keys in, belt on, start car.

Me too. Sometimes when I've stopped the car I'll take off my seat belt, then reach for some change or something and when I go for the door I automatically go to take the seat belt off again :D
    RATM wrote: »
    Its my choice to do as I do, if dont wanna wear a belt then thats my choice.....

Um, no it's not. It's the law. You can choose to break the law I suppose if you're willing to take the fines, penalty points and/or smashed skull
    Did I wear a safety belt after that? Emm no.

Diff world then.

Before momentum?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Some muppet on the assembly line forgot to install the seatbelt on my bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Me too. Sometimes when I've stopped the car I'll take off my seat belt, then reach for some change or something and when I go for the door I automatically go to take the seat belt off again :D

I open my door and press my buckle release at the same time, even if I just go in to get a CD or something out of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

I know ignorance seems to be some prized virtue for alot of Irish motorists, but surely wearing your seatbelt is up there in the common knowledge with not eating the yellow snow!?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭chief_stains

In terms of an a motoring offence, to be given 2 points for an offence which does not endanger other motorists is absolutely ridiculous. As others have said in this thread, if people in their car are not wearing a seatbelt they won't drive. You should not be forced to wear a seatbelt by a government or the police, ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭shqipshume

Always wear my seatbelt, always have, always will.

And I'll give out to the people in the car if they don't have theirs on.

Totally agree with you,Even that half seat belt in middle i hate letting anyone sit in that.
    Seat belt or you dont get in my car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I actually begin to panic without a seatbelt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Never wear one when I drive. Only as a passenger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Always, i dont think twice about it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

I feel kind of vulnerable without a seatbelt, both when I'm riving and as a passenger. When I was a kid my parents always made me wear my seatbelt. It's just become habit to wear it now an it feels wrong not wearing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

In terms of an a motoring offence, to be given 2 points for an offence which does not endanger other motorists is absolutely ridiculous. As others have said in this thread, if people in their car are not wearing a seatbelt they won't drive. You should not be forced to wear a seatbelt by a government or the police, ever.

maybe if your in the car by yourself but if there are other people and you're not wearing your seatbelt you're going to be flung around and headbutt and kill everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

I always put mine on. If I am carrying passengers then the car does not move until they all have their seatbelts on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I always wear a seat belt. I went for the 'naked option'. And on the odd occasion I forget the car promptly reminds me!

My 5 year old daughter can read the display above the rear view mirror and knows which seats don't have the belts engaged. Sometime she reminds me before the car!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Always and without fail (except when I stop and go to reverse into a spot or something).

I feel less in control of the car without a seatbelt.

Advertisement