Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seatbelts, do you wear them?

Options
  • 01-05-2009 10:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

Used to stroll around town (Nenagh) on my school lunchbreaks and watch people desperatly try to put on their seatbelt when they saw a garda.
    The garda station is in the centre of town. Twas the late 1990's.

I don't drive a car, only a moped :cool:
    But I get taxi's a lot and always wear my seatbelt in the back seat.
    And had taxi drivers comment on it. What, a taxi driver with an opinion??

So own up, do you wear it? Was it different ten years ago?
    And I'm guessing many wear seatbelts as a driver but maybe not in the backseat as a passenger? Is that you?

Do you wear your seatbelt (driver or passenger) 323 votes

Indeed I do, feel "naked" without my seatbelt
    0% 0 votes
    Never, just don't
    96% 312 votes
    Sometimes, probably more so as a driver then a passenger
    2% 7 votes
    Obligatory Atari option
    1% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

Always wear my seatbelt, always have, always will.

And I'll give out to the people in the car if they don't have theirs on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Only if I am in a motor vehicle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

I won't drive my own car if my passengers aren't wearing the seat belt.
    Piss off with your "It's uncomfortable" excuse, you can walk home if it's that uncomfortable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

I just don't think about it, I never bother to put it on. It's not a conscious decision not to, though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

My car belts out a warning signal if anyone in the car isn't wearing seatbelts. It knows who's sitting where too :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Yeah it's stupid not to and I make all my passengers wear them too. When I was young though we weren't made wear seatbelts in the back at all. Only when I was promoted to the front seat (at age 10) was I made wear it! So much stricter these days and rightly so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

Yes, wear seatbelt as a driver and a passenger.

And anyone as a passenger in my car are asked to wear a seatbelt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Of course I wear a seat belt in my car and I also tell whoever steps into my car to wear one.

In a bus if provided I used to wear a seatbelt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

I was in a car accident where the girl behind me broke her collar bone just from the force of the seatbelt against her shoulder. Could you imagine the speed she would have flown at if she wasnt wearing it?

Anyone who doesnt wear a seatbelt is just being a retard. And not only are they messing themselves up, but very often they kill other people with their stupidity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

It's the 21st century. Not wearing a seatbelt should count as a Darwin award waiting to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Only in the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Normster

mobius42 wrote: »
    It's the 21st century. Not wearing a seatbelt should count as a Darwin award waiting to happen.

LOL .. my reply of "Yes. Don't be stupid" is pityfull in comparison!

You ain't wearin a seatbelt, I ain't driving. You know it's the one without the seatbelt who causes all the damage!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Just after getting out of my friend's car.
    Not even the constant beeping forces him to put it on. I end up thumping him in the arm and making him put it on.

I've sat in the back seat of friend's cars and put the belt on and had them ask if I trust them.
    1. I trust my friends. It's the other ***** on the road I don't trust.
    2. It's the law and they'll be stuck with the fine and then bitch me out about it.

I've done some stupid things whilst driving, but I always wore a seatbelt.

liah wrote: »
    I just don't think about it, I never bother to put it on. It's not a conscious decision not to, though.

Perhaps you should consider thinking about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

My car doesn't move unless everyone in it is belted up, and I won't take more passengers than I have seatbelts.

Parents who don't belt their children in the backseats (and they are many) should be charged with endangerment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

I always wear my seatbelt.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Driving a bomb at up to 120kph(and possibly more) without a seatbelt is very intelligent.

Bomb being a box made from steel/aluminimum and plastic filled with a highly flammable liquid on roads where your wing mirrors nearly touch.

AHA but did you know that If you drive a delivery truck in a CBD(central business district) then you do not have to wear a seatbelt because you start and stop the vehicle so often. Its in the ROTR so dont say fvcking source.. So true is this fact that many trucks do not even have seat belts. I had a 2004 Daf that did not come with seatbelts yet the 2006 did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

This guy I knew was driving through a tiny little village one day with his seatbelt off. Next thing the Gardai pull him over at a checkpoint at one side of the village. He gets a fine and 2 penalty points, and obviously a big red face.

So anyway, embarrassment over, he heads off through this little village. About 30 seconds later he arrives on another Garda checkpoint on the other side.

And I know what your thinking: he couldnt be this stupid. But oh es he was - another fine and two more penalty points for wearing no seatbelt.

And rightly so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Perhaps you should consider thinking about it.

I put it on if someone reminds me of it. It's really just an entirely absent-minded thing. I don't spend much time in cars, though, and I don't drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Op I believe in a taxi it's the passenger that gets the fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭baglady

glad to see the high percentage of people who do wear them in the poll. I always always always wear it. Anyone who doesn't, in my opinion, is frankly a huge idiot

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

Anyone who doesn't wear a seatbelt deserves to be shot!

And I mean that.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

liah wrote: »
    Where you're going, you don't need roads.
    Everybody to 88 MPH.

Berty wrote: »
    Driving a bomb at up to 120kph(and possibly more) without a seatbelt is very intelligent.

Bomb being a box made from steel/aluminimum and plastic filled with a highly flammable liquid on roads where your wing mirrors nearly touch.

AHA but did you know that If you drive a delivery truck in a CBD(central business district) then you do not have to wear a seatbelt because you start and stop the vehicle so often. Its in the ROTR so dont say fvcking source.. So true is this fact that many trucks do not even have seat belts. I had a 2004 Daf that did not come with seatbelts yet the 2006 did.
    Funnily enough the truck I was a passenger in one day didn't have seat belts.
    I barely moved when we ploughed into a merc and sent it flying through a traffic island.

turgon wrote: »
    This guy I knew was driving through a tiny little village one day with his seatbelt off. Next thing the Gardai pull him over at a checkpoint at one side of the village. He gets a fine and 2 penalty points, and obviously a big red face.

So anyway, embarrassment over, he heads off through this little village. About 30 seconds later he arrives on another Garda checkpoint on the other side.

And I know what your thinking: he couldnt be this stupid. But oh es he was - another fine and two more penalty points for wearing no seatbelt.

And rightly so!
    Was it Horse and Jockey.
    If you're not from the area and a Garda pulls you over, you have to get away with laughing when the Garda gives out to you for speeding through there.*

*A friend about 10 years ago. I was in the back of the van cracking up laughing.
    The friend was an idiotic driver all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭leitrim lad

its like a habit once i sit in i curl the left arm around under the belt and just as im taking off i click it in.

i know one ejit who got a "letter" from his local gp to say he got a kick in the shoulder from a cow ,how belivable ,and he produces it everytime he is stopped ,

he will produce it to a pole or a lorry one day and they will give him a real shoulder problem,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, idiot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Of course I do. With no disrespect for the dead, I need no further warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭MrsMcSteamy

I always wear one, feel really weird not wearing one, even if i am just sitting in a parked car which i suppose is a good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Always wear my seatbelt, always have, always will.

And I'll give out to the people in the car if they don't have theirs on.

You took the words out of my mouth...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It's instinct at this stage, keys in, belt on, start car.

I'd be shocked to find anyone that didn't but I ran into one last year. They had my car and rather than just put on the belt and stop the car annoying them, they took the seat belt from the passenger side and plugged it into the drivers clasp. It was the most moronic thing I've ever come across.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Feels weird to not be wearing a seatbelt in a car.

The car I passed my test in was so old that they had only been added as an optional extra in the front seats, and they were fixed as well so there was no movement at all in them after you'd adjusted it. The fixings would probably have popped off though in the event of an actual crash so not a whole lot of use really.

• Advertisement

Wow, I love the poll responses.

Advertisement