Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you self-actualized?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'm getting there. Some way to go though. Best I can say is I have some idea of the direction. Though Terry's beer stash is often a direction worth exploring as a detour.:)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The Maslow guys theory has a few holes in it IMHO and many things he posits as required, I personally wouldnt agree are absolute to get to that point.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Wibbs wrote: »
    The Maslow guys theory has a few holes in it IMHO and many things he posits as required, I personally wouldnt agree are absolute to get to that point.

<insert full argument here>

:p

In an effort to understand the human mind (and myself!), I went on a course. He and his theories were part of the course. Interesting stuff, and def see the idea. But people who dont conform may land in this category.

In spite of any personal problems I may have, the strive to better myself remains strong. But that depends on the depths of depression.

I think this maybe the new exception to the rule. But Maslow made some sense to me. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

People that have reached self-actualization are characterized by certain behaviors. Common traits amongst people that have reached self-actualization are as follows:

* They embrace reality and facts rather than denying truth.
    * They are spontaneous.
    * They are interested in solving problems.
    * They are accepting of themselves and also others and lack prejudice.

Dunno about that above but I am self-certified :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

Ah, good old Maslow. Nice guy but always wanting more.

-Funk

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I'm getting there. Some way to go though. Best I can say is I have some idea of the direction. Though Terry's beer stash is often a direction worth exploring as a detour.:)
    Captain's hill.
    Third right then last left.
    Then I get stabby.

In my humble of course, his esteem needs I would have most issue with I reckon;

* Recognition (external motivator) Nope. The only recognition should be the recognition of ones own traits and how to incorporate them into a better "you".
    * Attention (external motivator) Meh maybe, but plugs into the previous.
    * Social Status (external motivator) Nope, as it will never be enough if there's a hole you need filling.
    * Accomplishment (internal motivator) Only if such accomplishment is aimed squarely at oneself.
    * Self-respect (internal motivator) This one I agree with, though with the caveat that true self respect though grounded entirely within oneself needs the stimulus of extending that respect to others. The inner benefits from the outer, but it must come from the inner in the end.

I am quite quite mad though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I don't give a ****, I'm drunk.

I am quite quite mad though.

Mad is a relative term :P

• Advertisement

My relatives are all mad too though.

My relatives are all mad too though.

But that's handy when you can visit them all in one fell swoop in the asylum.

No visit required and as The Specials song* says "the lunatics are taking over the asylum".:D

*wiki should help our younger viewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

This sounds like Dr.Phil-esque psycho-babble...And AH is more in the 'Jerermy Kyle' spectrum of psychological self-analysis, in fairness...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭hurdehur

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Mad is a relative term :P

Whereas Mod isn't. :pac:

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

No visit required and as The Specials song* says "the lunatics are taking over the asylum".:D

*wiki should help our younger viewers.

Maybe that cos like me "you've done too much, much too young".
    But arkham is not with out it's charms all the same.

hurdehur wrote: »
    Whereas Mod isn't. :pac:

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

I am not a mod, I am a recovering goth.
    /sniffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭*giggles*

dade wrote: »
    now for teh science bit

Five Levels of the Hierarchy of Needs info can be found here http://www.abraham-maslow.com/m_motivation/Hierarchy_of_Needs.asp

you must fulfill the lower needs before you can achieve teh higher ones etc kinda like playing tetris

Self-actualizing Needs

This is the highest level of Maslow’s hierarchy of needs. Self-actualizing people are self-aware, concerned with personal growth, less concerned with the opinions of others, and interested fulfilling their potential.

Man I love Business Studies.....:pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I use actuators

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

found maslow quite interesting, but would agree that the theory's at least somewhat flawed. rememeber our lecturer telling us about a book written by a guy who reached self actualisation while homeless, so missing at least two of the bottom levels of it.

but yep, im pretty much there (most of the time, i fluctuate :P).
    People that have reached self-actualization are characterized by certain behaviors. Common traits amongst people that have reached self-actualization are as follows:

* They embrace reality and facts rather than denying truth. - sounds about right,unless someone i love dies
    * They are spontaneous. - oh yes.
    * They are interested in solving problems. yep. quite enjoy puzzling things out.
    * They are accepting of themselves and also others and lack prejudice. the acceping myself bit is proabably where i fall down most, but still, i am very much my own person. in the last week, ive proved that to myself, while trying to learn a new skill which could only really be learnt in public during daylight, and making a complete prat of myslef, but keeping on trying, which i couldnt have done a year ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

not even close

but i am the bombdigidy :cool:

Advertisement