Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To eat in Maynooth?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

For pub grub The Roost isn't bad at all. And they have a good enough veggie selection which is rare (I'm usually stuck with vegetable soup or a veggie burger if I'm very lucky when it comes to pub grub) Have eaten in the Glenroyal a good bit and the food there is lovely. Reasonable too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 clanx

has to be twist every time, brekky rocks and the selection is great yum:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭woodlands

ate there recently ,poor food +v poor service=poor pub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

I was there yesterday and it was lovely, couldn't see any faults!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

McDonalds is going to be the downfall of us all next year.

• Advertisement

Ah I dunno, as students, we're incredibly lazy when it comes to walking that far for food. I'm not a fan of McDs anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Fast food? Nah, it's too far. I can totally see this happening.

Saw it there the other day. It's pretty small, looks like it might just be a drive-through.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 splash137

Ate in Greene's last week for forst time & will definitely return. Staff were friendly and food was divine. Lasange came with chips and large salad side. Friends got sirlion steak, 'rustic' veg (small portion) & chips but options for other sides was very broad.
    Drinks slightly pricey for students... glass of wine €5, minerals standard €2.50 however.
    Desserts were large enough and delicious.
    Place was busy at time but roomy at our table. If dinign as a couple, the choice of single table may be a bit on the small side.
    Overall, a nice atmosphere, good price for what you get overall and as I said, will return!
    Still can't beat Roost's evening meals... Pan-fried chicken, mash & mushroom sauce never fails!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 sekhon_boy

Duddy wrote: »
    Any nice places? I've been to the Chineses, and Mohana, but haven't been to any of the new places (Greenes, Avenue) yet, anyone know if they're any good?

As a side note, just been to The Church restaurant with my SO,
    creme bruleé very nearly made me cry - it was that good.:p

I have been to all of the Maynooth restaurants, because i love to try diffrent foods. But i will strongly recommend Donatello's Restaurant. The best best best Stakes you can have only at Donatello's, Only problem is, you will have to book in advance because that is the only restaurant in Maynooth where you can see a long cue at the door, but it will worth cuing. Avenue is good for lunch( if you like wraps, panini , soup etc.) or if you are going with kids( you can get burgers and chips etc..:), But i did not like green's , Both chineese Royal city and Asian Cusine(beside supermax) are good. I like the one beside Supermax as there Shredded chiken, green curry, Stay , Cung pu is better than Royal City. All the noodles and soup and prwan Dishes are better at Royal City. I weent to Stone Heaven once but i came back from the door as it was smelling like an old pub and you can smell beer. I do not know what the food is like , just did not feel like sitting there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭erinn

where is Donatello's???

want to go out to eat in maynooth on thurs...just tryin to decided where!!! hmmmm....

• Advertisement

Donatellos is in one of those little laneways off Main St. on the Roost side of the road... just before the old LA I think.

However, I would recommend eating in Greene's if you've never tried it before.. i plan on goin back myself in the next week or two for a meal! It's just beside the castle! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

What about lunch on the cheap, though? I usually go to the Coffee Mill but the service can be very hit-and-miss. Any similar kind of places that ye would recommend?

I've tried more or less every place in maynooth for lunch at some point and always find myself returning to o'neills. Toasted sandwich and side salad usually around €5 if i remember correctly. Its always good quality food and a good selection for sandwiches or student special lunches (chips, burgers/sausages etc.) Staff are always friendly and the atmosphere is cosy too. I've no faults to mention! Personally I think o neills is best value for money, as you said Coffee Mill can be a bit hit or miss and often close early.
    I've heard Elite is supposed to be cheap but never ate there.
    There is a little sit down place up at the new londis on main street (by bus stop) and they have a deli counter and a few seats at the back of the shop!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Yeah, and if I remember the prices arent bad in Londis....BUT!!!

I've been there 5 times and 3 times I've been short changed by the till staff at the front from 1-2 euro. I pointed it out, got it back and they were grand about it...coincidence? Well I'll leave it at that....

Just be carefull! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Harpie

Yeah, and if I remember the prices arent bad in Londis....BUT!!!

I've been there 5 times and 3 times I've been short changed by the till staff at the front from 1-2 euro. I pointed it out, got it back and they were grand about it...coincidence? Well I'll leave it at that....

Just be carefull! :)

I can only assume you're not talking about the Londis in JH? Nearly a euro for a packet of chewing gum in there :eek: It's grand for the sandwich deals maybe but the little luxuries are waaay overpriced :mad:

hehe, no the one on main street. :)

hehe, no the one on main street. :)

Phew! Best thing about the main street Londis has to be the deli staff. One particularly grumpy lady speaks two words only..Spicy/plain? :p

Sure that isnt centra? I know the one you're talking about! I spent the whole of last year attempting to get a smile out of her... :( No dice.....

Oh centra it is, sorry! She's a great laugh that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Spar beside the newtown inn before 11am for the best breakfast roll ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭wha

efla wrote: »
    Spar beside the newtown inn before 11am for the best breakfast roll ever.

Oh so many Friday mornings heading there for my hangover/still drunk roll and coke and bag of Nik Naks...

Just don't ask the narky blonde one to put a sauage on a small roll for ya or you'll get the head eaten off ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭xochillixo

vry nice chicken wings in that place where every1 flocks at 3 in the morn on main street... cant remembr the name

Maximus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 trixybell

i have graduated from maynooth a couple of years but when i was there we used to save our money for little cafe called 'twist' it was bit on expensive side but ammmaaazzzzzingggggggg;):rolleyes::D:o:p;):D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

trixybell wrote: »
    i have graduated from maynooth a couple of years but when i was there we used to save our money for little cafe called 'twist' it was bit on expensive side but ammmaaazzzzzingggggggg;):rolleyes::D:o:p;):D

Sounds like something my ma would say. Twist is still there, bout €9 for a big full Irish breakfast I think, definitely worth it though.

The new Bistro is alright, not great if you've only got an hour for lunch though :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭~me~

i thought the bistro was a bit over priced for what it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 really reilly

stonehaven is fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Barleybooley and myself just had an amazingly delicious meal in Greene's. Pricey enough, but seriously good food. Decent portions too. Recommend it to anyone I would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

Sure that isnt centra? I know the one you're talking about! I spent the whole of last year attempting to get a smile out of her... :( No dice.....

I managed too!, girls like that respond to physical comedy rather then the verbal kind:rolleyes::D

O'Neills I went to a few times, It's probibly 15% more expencive then most of the other pubs, but the food is like 200% better, so your getting a jump from "Pricey and not worth it" to "pricey but resturant quality(and therefore bargain)"

Advertisement