Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banking

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Answer private numbers. Don't worry, if you don't like the caller then hang up.
    Some people have their landlines set to private for a reason.

OT:
    I've got a call or two from my bank before asking to double check some transactions. I've asked them to tell me all the info because I already know it. They need the conformation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

If you have any doubts, I'd say to the person on the phone "I'm unsure about doing this on the phone, I'll call into the bank and get the matter sorted."
    If they are genuine, they should have no problem with you doing just that.

I have got similar calls myself - but I'm still careful still about giving out facts that they should know already.
    That bit makes me a bit uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭MadgeBadge

Stee wrote: »
    Fair enough if they call to verify something you have done/applied for, but a call out of the blue, i'd be very wary.

It may seem out of the blue for you but surely they explained that
    it's the time of year when banks are trying to find out if you're going onto further study or not so they can up-grade you to a graduate account, or keep you on a student account accordingly.

Also, there are no transaction fees with a graduate account also. So no worries! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

keezer wrote: »
    Hi, today i got a call from the bank on my mobile it was a private no by the way. They said they where calling to update my details and that had i time to talk to them. I said ok and she begab to ask security questions ie the first part of my adress etc, then she said that she sees i am finishing up college soon and do i hope to continue on at 3rd level etc and then she askes for my last transaction etc and i told her that i cant remeber as its been awhile. Then she asked had i my card on me so that could i give her the first 5 digits for more security but as i hadnt the card on me she said she would call me back next week and what day dose it suit.

Dose this sound normal and the fact they ring on a private no makes me suspicous

Why are you asking such a potentially important question in AH?
    Would you not ask it in the banking forum?

If a stranger pulled up on a car beside you and asked you to get in what would you do?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Why do banks do this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭johnny_knoxvile

SEX IS LIKE BANKING...

...you only lose interest when you withdraw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭omyatari

you could have screamed *YOU'll never take me alive!!!* and hang up the phone.

but really, i wouldnt trust it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

Banks generally have to use private number tbh. It's due to the fact that we can only speak to the customer... If your wife answers we have to say it is a 'private business matter' we cannot say where we are calling from. Data protection is a pain!

So private is ok, but they usually should only check name/address/d.o.b./mobile/4 digits from card...

If unsure don't give anything obviously, the staff will understand and should be happy for you to call back to the bank!

Edit: note that most forms you sign should have a section 'permission to contact in work/during the day etc.'

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Zadkiel

javaboy wrote: »
    It's very bad practice if it is legitimate.

Unfortunately its true, I used to work for AIB and I was shocked the first time they rang me for this type of stuff.
    The best thing to do is ring back to your branch or 24hr Banking ( or the equivalent for another bank) and ask them if someone was to call.

This way you know who your talking to and if its legit.
    Its a VERY bad way of doing business imo but they don't really give enough of a toss about the average branch customer to change procedures for them.

If you won the lotto they'd be all over you like a hot snot offering you Private Banking. cnuts tbh

Advertisement