Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ikea Assessment - What's Involved?

Options
  • 30-04-2009 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

The GF has been called for an assessment with Ikea. Can anyone give me an idea what's involved with this? It's not a straight forward interview situation as far as I'm aware and she'll be assessed on how she interacts with other people.

What kind of tasks do they set? What's involved.

Appreciate any kind of advice you can give.

Many thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

hi, i was recently talking to someone who was called for an IKEA assesment and that person had to construct one of IKEA's flat pack products, so i'd advise she does some research on what they sell and is familiar with allen keys.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭swapple

yeah, i got mine this wednesday, i only applied for a checkout position though! :eek:
    i looked up the ikea website and it doesnt give that much info...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,798 ✭✭✭✭cormie

hi, i was recently talking to someone who was called for an IKEA assesment and that person had to construct one of IKEA's flat pack products, so i'd advise she does some research on what they sell and is familiar with allen keys.

That's a bit odd? What position were they going for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭nevey

If I was going for a job in IKEA, one thing I would do is go north and familiarise myself with the IKEA store there (the one-way layout is really confusing for a first timer) as all IKEA shops are the same. Talk to the friendly staff and try asking them about the assessment. You could also freshen up on measuring dimensions, working in mms, cms, metres, calculating areas, converting square feet to square metres etc etc. I also think that being familiar with how flat-packs work would be useful.
    Best of luck to your GF. I might see her when the store opens in July, I've been waiting years for a local Ikea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

cormie wrote: »
    That's a bit odd? What position were they going for?

working in the food hall. they were given a dvd storage rack to assemble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

Just out of curiosity, are there any part time vacancies in Ikea at the moment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 lusciouslucy

Hello Ikea assements:As I have one tomorrow I know they get a group of potential employees into a room 20/30 separate into groups of 5/6 and either ask them to make something out of the materials they give them or throw a ball at each person and ask them to talk about themselves:).. best of luck
    They only taking on Part time & yes there are vacencies but date for accepting CV's is up.
    L

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

So she's printed off the Ikea wikipedia page, looked up YouTube, studied the Ikea catelogue but......................... ahem, the guy who rang her for the assessment never mentioned where it was being held.

Does anyone know where the assessments tomorrow are being held?

btw there's no dress code, just in case you were wondering.
    i asked :)

Hello Ikea assements:As I have one tomorrow I know they get a group of potential employees into a room 20/30 separate into groups of 5/6 and either ask them to make something out of the materials they give them or throw a ball at each person and ask them to talk about themselves:).. best of luck
    They only taking on Part time & yes there are vacencies but date for accepting CV's is up.
    L

by the way i didnt look up an encyclopedia!!! I heard from the horses mouth!!!and I enjoyed my assessment today in the Ikea Store in Ballymun and it was exactly what I said it was !!!:mad: and I knew where it was!!!:cool:

• Advertisement

So she's printed off the Ikea wikipedia page, looked up YouTube, studied the Ikea catelogue but......................... ahem, the guy who rang her for the assessment never mentioned where it was being held.

Does anyone know where the assessments tomorrow are being held?

the Assessments are being held in the new IKEA Store in Ballymun the new store behind the Musgraves on the back roads!!in Poppintree,need any more info just ask..:rolleyes: its tricky to find the door to go in but its on the right to the carpark down under the staircase to the right..:D it took us ages today to find out how to get in .....:)

cool you enjoyed it?
    so i shouldn't be nervous :o
    what position are you going for?

Yeah I really enjoyed it!! Hope I get an interview now..it was fun,no need to be nervous!!:rolleyes:there very frendly ..:D...........I've applied for cashier/checkout...good luck:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 KiityKarma

Hey!

I have my assessment tomorrow for Ikea Customer Service Co-Worker. Anybody else?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 techyness

Hey, I have mine next week - any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Best of luck!

Thanks a mil Techyness, wil let you know!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 alias09

hi how was ur interview with ikea today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 pauliebhoy

I had mine today at 12:00, went pretty well i thought, apart from our windmill falling over!

hi there,

Yes i was supposed to go today but i hurt my back in work last week and have been out. What was involved. what did u have to do and did they tell u the pay. when do u know if u got the job. sorry for all the questions?

I had my assessment this morning. Had to do a couple of group activities and a solo one, was pretty relaxed. They said they will contact people for interviews in 5-10 days.

• Advertisement

i agree, i thought it was very relaxed, actually enjoyable!
    we had to 'sell' a product, build a folly :P and answer a few easy written exercises, pretty simple, nothing to stress about :)

ok thanks for the replies. its seems a bit silly for a job that is really just a warehouse that sells cheap furniture. Plus the money is not that good but they do look after there staff.

thanks again

Hi Hi ...As i passed my assessment last Tuesday.;)...I have been called for an Interview this Monday...:D:D:).....Should be fun...:rolleyes:

The other half enjoyed her assessment. She said that the Ikea folk put everyone at ease. They had to speak about themselves, construct a tall structure from basic materials and asnwer some questions.

She went for her interview today and wasn't in such a good mood afterwards. It seems the interviewers did nothing to create relaxed atmosphere, she felt quite nervous. They asked her various questions relating to retail, 'What do you do if a customers credit card is declined?', 'What's the role of a manager?'.

Hello I thought my interview went very well today!! I really enjoyed it too:rolleyes: the staff were very friendly:) and the atmosphere was fine......the interview went pretty quick, and we had a good laugh..there was 2 IKEA staff and myself!!:P..Mayb it was just her nerves!!:rolleyes:...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sixxxshot

Went today, not too bad. Lasts about 2 hours. Myself and the other fellas there were a bit bewildered by the "activities" though especially since the job we are going for is to unload lorries and move pallets from A to B. You build an object out of stuff they give you as a team and then present it to the rest of the people there. They also give you a item and you have to stand up with your team and try to market it to everyone else. While you are doing the team work IKEA staff hover around taking notes. You also have to answer 3 questions they give you on paper ("you are in this situation, what do you do.....")
    Guess its purpose is to thin down the numbers for interview and to check if you can communicate with other people normally or whatever.......
    Chap from IKEA said interviews would be a week or too later.

aw :( i had my assessment at the same time as some of you guys and i still havent gotten called for an interview so i'm guessing i didn't get it.
    oh well! good luck to the rest of yous!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Coddlemonster

did the assessment this morning 8am :pac: YAWN! for logistics dept... went very well thanks to all your great pointers!

cheers:)

swapple wrote: »
    aw :( i had my assessment at the same time as some of you guys and i still havent gotten called for an interview so i'm guessing i didn't get it.
    oh well! good luck to the rest of yous!

Sorry to hear that swapple. :(

After the assessment the GF was called the next day to arrange her interview. She had that on Monday. I know if they don't hire you they send you a letter and if they do hire you it's via phone. Does anyone know how long it takes them to phone you?

I feel really sorry for the GF, she's applied for numerous jobs, gone for interviews, spoken to more agencies than I can recall. Her confidence is low at this stage and she is finding it very difficult to remain positive. She really really needs this to boost her spirits.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 she1984

Hi Folks!I got my interview with Ikea last Tuesday and still waiting for an answer...:confused:no letter,no calls....What about you?Anybody got any respond?THX.....

Advertisement