Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The car petrol and diesel thread....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

A boycott of just one brand would be easier to sustain.
    At the moment I'm not sure what the brand is that I normally buy, I just know that it's the cheapest in my area.

I'll post again tomorrow when I've had a look to see what it is that I'm buying:confused:.

The obvious choice would be the dearest, but the problem there is that It might affect your local, independent filling station that is just about making a living and keeping his community supplied.

Needs a little thought and input from all concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭paulgalway

Came from the North to-day. Petrol just this side of the Armagh/Monaghan border (Mace shop) was €160.9. Saw €159.9 in another garage.

Couldn't believe it, but the prices in Galway have actuall gone UP since Monday dinner time.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

I usually rely on pumps.ie Galway isnt kept as up to date as it needs to. We are paying at least 4c/litre more than we should. I paid 161c in Kildare on Tuesday, the cheapest I've seen in Galway is 165. Ridonculous.

Just cross the border into Mayo. Ballindine and Claremorris, petrol 159.9 yesterday and has been for about a week now.

Driving an hour north to save €2.50 on petrol seems a bit crazy since it will cost at least that to get there and back...

• Advertisement

Driving an hour north to save €2.50 on petrol seems a bit crazy since it will cost at least that to get there and back...

I do believe that most people will find that that goes without saying!.

However, there are a lot of people that do travel all the way into Mayo from time to time and as Ballindine is not very far over the border I thught it worthwhile posting.:confused:

I think someone mentioned Armagh earlier. I don't expect you to drive to there either.

I do believe that most people will find that that goes without saying!.

However, there are a lot of people that do travel all the way into Mayo from time to time and as Ballindine is not very far over the border I thught it worthwhile posting.:confused:

I think someone mentioned Armagh earlier. I don't expect you to drive to there either.

Good point.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

€1.69 in Tuam yesterday.
    Was €1.66 last week.

Tuam to Ballindine - 20km.

How can anyone justify 10cents a ltr more:mad:.

This is the crap we've been putting up with in Tuam for far too long now, all filling stations charging the same price.

Exactly the same with heating oil, no difference whatsoever.

The personnel in the institution of State with responsibility for eliminating cartels need to do their jobs, for which they're very well paid.
    Just because 1 prosecution was taken against a cartel doesn't absolve the 'regulators' from taking action on a continuous basis.

Are the 'regulators' and government turning a blind eye as higher prices create more revenue for the State?
    Or am i paranoid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

That's a 40km round trip. I know my car gets about 12km/l on the open roads, so I'd want to be saving €6 a fill for it to be a break even proposition.

I think I need to expand a little more on my previous posts.

I am not advocating that people travel from Tuam to Mayo to buy fuel, that would not make sense, but there is always plenty of traffic, traveling in both directions, on the N17 and these vehicles need fuel.

I would doubt that the cost of running a filling station in Ballindine or Claremorris is any lower than Tuam.
    I would doubt that the cost of delivering fuel to Ballindine or Claremorris is any lower than to Tuam.

So why are the garage owners in Tuam being so greedy?.

I would doubt that the cost of running a filling station in Ballindine or Claremorris is any lower than Tuam.
    I would doubt that the cost of delivering fuel to Ballindine or Claremorris is any lower than to Tuam.

So why are the garage owners in Tuam being so greedy?.

You doubt. Seriously - that's what you're basing it on?

The closer one gets to the regional center, the more it costs to do business - this is a simple fact of life.

The rates in Tuam are probably higher than either Ballindine or Claremorris (almost certainly in fact)

Tuam also has more competition for employees (Galway city, the business in the area) than either Claremorris or Ballindine would have, which would make it slightly more expensive to get employees to run the shops etc.

The cost of delivering the fuel is negligible, considering when one is getting a delivery we are talking about orders in the 000's of litres.

So it's probable that they have genuinely higher costs that the smaller towns would have.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

antoobrien wrote: »

The closer one gets to the regional center, the more it costs to do business - this is a simple fact of life.

The rates in Tuam are probably higher than either Ballindine or Claremorris (almost certainly in fact)

Tuam also has more competition for employees (Galway city, the business in the area) than either Claremorris or Ballindine would have, which would make it slightly more expensive to get employees to run the shops etc.

The cost of delivering the fuel is negligible, considering when one is getting a delivery we are talking about orders in the 000's of litres.

So it's probable that they have genuinely higher costs that the smaller towns would have.

If that was the reason then by the same logic, Dublin should have the highest fuel prices, as one would imagine the larger centre would mean higher rates and employment costs. But you can buy petrol in Dublin city centre for 160.9c at the moment, while the cheapest in Galway city is 164.9c.

Zzippy wrote: »
    If that was the reason then by the same logic, Dublin should have the highest fuel prices, as one would imagine the larger centre would mean higher rates and employment costs. But you can buy petrol in Dublin city centre for 160.9c at the moment, while the cheapest in Galway city is 164.9c.

I was dealing with the question raised - there are other factors like competition (i.e. no stations in an area), whether the garages are franchises or owned by the company in question etc.

I haven't seen the 160.9c you're referring to, the cheapest I've seen ins 162.9 in Lusk, with it being 165.9-170.9 in D5/17.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I was dealing with the question raised - there are other factors like competition (i.e. no stations in an area), whether the garages are franchises or owned by the company in question etc.

I haven't seen the 160.9c you're referring to, the cheapest I've seen ins 162.9 in Lusk, with it being 165.9-170.9 in D5/17.

According to pumps.ie the Top station on Ushers Quay is 160.9c for petrol (updated 28th May).

There are plenty of petrol stations in Galway city, so there should be competition, unless they were all owned by the same chain, which they're not.
    Whether they are franchises or company-owned, the prevailing high price and uniformity in pricing across city stations leads to the fact that operators are not interested in competition, if not to the conclusion that a price-fixing cartel exists.

I like the idea of a boycott of one chain/brand in the area, might be the only way us consumers can encourage competition and get some value.

Zzippy wrote: »
    There are plenty of petrol stations in Galway city, so there should be competition, unless they were all owned by the same chain, which they're not.
    Whether they are franchises or company-owned, the prevailing high price and uniformity in pricing across city stations leads to the fact that operators are not interested in competition, if not to the conclusion that a price-fixing cartel exists.

Margins on petrol & diesel are tight around 1-3c/l to the retailer. It's a bit strange but competition can allow prices to rise when margins are so tight as it gives a bit of extra margin when another garage raises their prices due to getting a more expensive fill. It doesn't take active collusion for that to happen (especially if staff are passing by the competition and note the price changes).

Think about it for a sec, the petrol sold in Galway is all the same grade (95 octane I think). Where can the fuel manufacturers get their competitive advantage at a cheep price?

You query what I'm basing my opinions on and yet you use the words "probably" and "almost certainly".

The overall running costs might well be higher but to the tune of 10cents per ltr.? That I seriously doubt.

We are both entitled to our opinions.

You query what I'm basing my opinions on and yet you use the words "probably" and "almost certainly".

The overall running costs might well be higher but to the tune of 10cents per ltr.? That I seriously doubt.

We are both entitled to our opinions.

I can't say for definite without access to the rates costs (which I don't have) and the other points I indicated in subsequent posts. I certainly can't quantify why the differential is so large without looking at the books of the companies concerned.

I have given possible reasons for it being higher. After all why are people paid more to be shop assistants in Dublin than Galway - the general cost of living is higher, so people on't accept a lower wage. The same logic can be applied to smaller towns.

You give doubts based on apparently nothing but your belief that it should be lower.

Why should it be lower, can you give a reason why? You might want to start looking at the raw materials cost.

I can't say for definite without access to the rates costs (which I don't have) and the other points I indicated in subsequent posts. I certainly can't quantify why the differential is so large without looking at the books of the companies concerned.

I have given possible reasons for it being higher. After all why are people paid more to be shop assistants in Dublin than Galway - the general cost of living is higher, so people on't accept a lower wage. The same logic can be applied to smaller towns.

You give doubts based on apparently nothing but your belief that it should be lower.

Why should it be lower, can you give a reason why? You might want to start looking at the raw materials cost.

Like you I just voiced my opinion.
    Yes It was just a gut feeling, but based on many years of working in accounts for firms in both small towns and large cities including the City of London.

Although Tuam is larger than Claremorris I would doubt that, in the current climate, the overall cost of living is higher, excluding mortgages.
    And again I use the word doubt because, like you, I do not have any figures to support that feeling.

I would suggest that we leave it that as we have different opinions on the subject and that is all they will ever be. opinions.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Or buy non-laundered diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭PopIT

Hi All,
    I got diesel at both the Corrib Oil Depot and their Gort filling station for 149.9c per litre. They have a new (at least I never saw it before) 24hr pump at the front of the depot for when the office is closed or pumps in the yard for use when the office is open. But be warned, I bought 20e worth at the 24hr pump and my card was debited 40e. I was assured after some arguing that I would receive the balance back. I can only describe it as a deposit but be warned that there was no mention of it at the pump or in the office. The people in the office seemed unaware of it and had to talk to their Head Office in Prospect Hill to find out the full information.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭paulgalway

Passed Topaz at Carnmore airport earlier to-day. Unleaded was €160.9

Most of the Topaz garages in town are €164.9

Why the difference?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

paulgalway wrote: »
    Passed Topaz at Carnmore airport earlier to-day. Unleaded was €160.9

Most of the Topaz garages in town are €164.9

Why the difference?:confused:

There's an independent filling station beside Grealish's pub, on the other side of Carnmore Cross, who's prices have always been very competitive.

I'd say the Topaz across from the airport is setting their prices accordingly.

dilallio

p.s. The cheapest petrol I've seen over the weekend is 159.9 c/ltr at Tom Hogan's filling station on the Bothar na d'Treabh dual carriageway leaving Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

Watch the prices rise for the volvo ocean race folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Petrol 159.9 today down the docks/lough atalia road filling station. Cheapest I've paid in a while.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

149.9 Diesel / 159.9 Petrol in Topaz Silverstrand.

It can't be said enough, if you've a smartphone, get the Pumps.ie app to find out where your cheapest stations are locally and beware fly-by-night independents who have diesel a good bit cheaper than anywhere else local, if you value your engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

For anyone passing through Loughrea, petrol is now between 154.9 and 156.9 at the 4 petrol stations, not sure about diesel - think maybe 145.9 or 146.9. 2 of those are Topaz stations, one is a newly opened "Safe Fuels" and the other a reputable independent.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,822 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

finally 159.9 in tom hogans
    must have killed them

• Advertisement

Down to 161.9 in Tuam
    RIP OFF CARTELL

Advertisement