Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The car petrol and diesel thread....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Sappa wrote: »
    It's not claddagh oil supplying it,some crowd from the north.

The IRA maybe?

Come on lads seriously, if a station randomly pops up selling diesel substantially cheaper than everywhere else in the city, you can be fully sure its dodgy south armagh blend(marked argi diesel washed of the dye). Anyone thats things its legit needs their heads examined. & you've only yourself to blame when it wrecks your engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭yer man!

sentient_6 wrote: »
    The IRA maybe?

Come on lads seriously, if a station randomly pops up selling diesel substantially cheaper than everywhere else in the city, you can be fully sure its dodgy south armagh blend(marked argi diesel washed of the dye). Anyone thats things its legit needs their heads examined. & you've only yourself to blame when it wrecks your engine.

Fair enough but it doesn't explain why Galway is fuel is more expensive than a lot of other garages around the country.... I was in Cork a few months ago and all the stations were ≈ 8 cent cheaper than here, even Dublin was cheaper.

hmm, I'm surprised the above posts are allowed regarding a business in Galway without hard evidence / legitimate news sources to back it up

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

There is too much speculation in this thread.
    Stick with the prices.

Sappa you can update with us what the garage said when you approached them about the issue but I don't want this thread to be used to put any establishment in a bad light without any backup.
    Who's your mechanic that said he was sure was the fuel? I'm sure the garage will want to know when they find this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

yer man! wrote: »
    Fair enough but it doesn't explain why Galway is fuel is more expensive than a lot of other garages around the country.... I was in Cork a few months ago and all the stations were ≈ 8 cent cheaper than here, even Dublin was cheaper.

It depends on what part of Dublin you're in. This morning I saw prices ranging from 167.9c/l -171.9c/l.

On the other hand I bought petrol on Saturday in Ballinasloe for 164.9c/l

• Advertisement

Someone was saying that if everyone stopped using a certain major chain they would have to drop their prices.
    And when they did the other garages would follow suit.
    Not sure if this would work but maybe worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

biko wrote: »
    Someone was saying that if everyone stopped using a certain major chain they would have to drop their prices.
    And when they did the other garages would follow suit.
    Not sure if this would work but maybe worth a shot.

A few years ago people did this in the UK and it worked.
    They concentrated on one brand of petrol rather the the garages themselves
    Can't remember which petrol but think it was esso.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Weylin

woodquay station galway
    diesel 1.55
    petrol1.59
    no probs with the diesel so far..........

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭paulgalway

Weylin wrote: »
    woodquay station galway
    diesel 1.55
    petrol1.59
    no probs with the diesel so far..........

So petrol is 10 cents cheaper than most other stations around town ?

That is enough to sound the warning bells :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Didn't know the petrol was that low but had seen the diesel was very low there. In my opinion, anywhere that's a lot cheaper, isn't part of a big chain or where the fuel is filled for you is usually best steered clear of.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Petrol prices falling!
    Topaz's are now only 167.9c/l, a massive fall from 169.9c/l :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭yer man!

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Didn't know the petrol was that low but had seen the diesel was very low there. In my opinion, anywhere that's a lot cheaper, isn't part of a big chain or where the fuel is filled for you is usually best steered clear of.

Fair enough that's your opinion, but as I've said before some of the chains are much cheaper in most parts of the country compared to Galway so clearly there is a mark up in quite a few stations in the city. I'm assuming this woodquay station is selling at close to cost price, the chains in the city are definitely not, hence the AA looked into price fixing in the city and are still very suspicious. The fuel used in this station is supplied by EK fuels in Louth I think, it's a fully registered company and they have brand new tankers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Heard woodquay was cheap but didn't realize there was so much in the difference. How long is it open?

Petrol €168.9 in Whitestrand service station today and €167.9 in Farraghers Salthill

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Heard Ballindooley has no fuel...used be the cheapest. He said two weeks time they'll have it!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 6 SPEED

Petrol in Woodquay is 168.9 and Diesel is 155.9 Pass it every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

yer man! wrote: »
    Fair enough that's your opinion, but as I've said before some of the chains are much cheaper in most parts of the country compared to Galway so clearly there is a mark up in quite a few stations in the city. I'm assuming this woodquay station is selling at close to cost price, the chains in the city are definitely not, hence the AA looked into price fixing in the city and are still very suspicious. The fuel used in this station is supplied by EK fuels in Louth I think, it's a fully registered company and they have brand new tankers.
    Oh I agree about the price fixing. I remember doing Economics a few years ago for the Leaving and even then our teacher was going on about the cartels in and around Galway. I mean, as soon as one station has changed it's price, the next one closest to it has made the same change.

But you have to be wary of stations like this is all I'm saying. Even though the chains may be more expensive in Galway, their margins are still woefully small per litre, hence why they have the delis etc. How can a new station afford to sell so close to cost price when that's literally all it's selling? Or how can the distributor sell at a lower cost price?

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Oh I agree about the price fixing. I remember doing Economics a few years ago for the Leaving and even then our teacher was going on about the cartels in and around Galway. I mean, as soon as one station has changed it's price, the next one closest to it has made the same change.

Be very careful about using words like cartel. There was an investigation done a couple of years ago and they couldn't find any evidence of organised price fixing (implied in cartel).

The petrol retails claim the margins are very small (3.47% combined) margin on petrol & diesel. A penny change when their neighbour makes a change way well be nothing more sinister than looking after their own bottom line.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Does'nt explain why Galway has higher prices than other urban clusters around the country. Oil is actually delivered to Galway port, so you'd think that fuel transport costs would be a bit less than say to Castlebar.

snubbleste wrote: »
    Does'nt explain why Galway has higher prices than other urban clusters around the country. Oil is actually delivered to Galway port, so you'd think that fuel transport costs would be a bit less than say to Castlebar.

It's not higher than Dublin (northside) right now. According to pumps.ie the prices across Galway are 166.9-168.9. This week I've seen 167.9-171.9 in North Dublin (starting to ease a bit thankfully).

I can easily explain the costs in Galway - overheads are higher in large urban areas. The cost of transport will be less than the increased overheads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭paconnors

I see petrol prices are starting to reduce a bit in Galway, bout bloody time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Surfacezebra

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I filled up in Ballina (Co. Mayo) on Saturday for 157.9c a litre, a good 8-10c/l cheaper than Galway. Prices in Galway are a joke, with most stations charging the same margin over the national average surely there must be some price fixing going on among local stations?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Surfacezebra

There may be something in what your saying as i got petrol for 159.9 in sligo 2 weeks ago and most of Galway was around the 168 mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 missymooo

Was in Clifden at the weekend and petrol was 164.9 at the oil company station.. It's 168.9 at the oil company station in Moycullen.. Don't understand how there can be such a difference !

A guess is that their profit margin is much lower in the rural areas.
    Price fixing in the city is possible too of course but
    http://www.galwaynews.ie/24681-petrol-price-fixing-galway-ruled-out
    Following a major investigation, the Competition Authority has ruled out any evidence of price fixing or cartel activity between filling station operators in Galway – but is at a loss to explain why fuel in the city can cost up to 8c more per litre than in county towns.

Simply put, it's because they can. If users were to organise and figure out a strategy to decrease the price for one chain the other chains would follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

biko wrote: »
    A guess is that their profit margin is much lower in the rural areas.
    Price fixing in the city is possible too of course but
    http://www.galwaynews.ie/24681-petrol-price-fixing-galway-ruled-out

Simply put, it's because they can. If users were to organise and figure out a strategy to decrease the price for one chain the other chains would follow.

I think it was done successfully in England where one specific brand/branch of stations was chosen and this led to a decrease in the price in other stations which had a domino effect.
    Trying to find a source for that but I do remember reading about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

I might be wrong, but I've got it fixed in the back of my mind that it was Shell that was picked on to boycott in the U.K.

It really wouldn't matter which one was picked on, just spread the word not to buy one particular brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭PopIT

Diesel In Texaco in Oranmore 154.9 and petrol 164.9
    Diesel in Topaz Kilcolgan 160.9 and not sure about petrol.

That's a huge difference for the sake of a 5 minuet drive.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Diesel in Topaz Silver Strand is 155.9.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

Zzippy wrote: »
    I filled up in Ballina (Co. Mayo) on Saturday for 157.9c a litre, a good 8-10c/l cheaper than Galway. Prices in Galway are a joke, with most stations charging the same margin over the national average surely there must be some price fixing going on among local stations?

For years we've been putting up with the same carry-on in regard to heating oil.
    If only we could get organised and boycott the filling stations and heating oil suppliers simultaneously.
    Perhaps start with one or two companies that supply both forms of fuel?
    After a fortnight of zero revenue they'd be crapping themselves.
    Flipping extortionists making super-profits off our backs just when we're struggling to make ends meet.

Advertisement