Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For the kinky agnostics among you.....

Options
  • 29-04-2009 1:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭

Prudish just because we don't believe in god doesn't mean we are depraved and debased atheists need not apply :P ( yes it's a joke mods please don't spankban me )

Radical Ecstacy Weekend Workshop July - Kink/Tantra

There is an upcomonga two-day workshop called Radical Ecstacy, it is being facilitated by Dossie Easton, renowned American author, psychotherapist and kinkster. She co-wrote The Ethical Slut. Essentially, the workshop is about unlocking the potential of BDSM as a sacred practice. No previous experience required - just an open mind. There is no sex involved in the workshop.

The weekend workshop takes place in Dublin on July 18 & 19 that may appeal to anyone into Paganism, Mysticism, Polyamory, alt sexualities and other esoterics.

The website is http://www.eros-mutiny.com/

The couple which are organising this are wonderful people who are involved
    in the kink community and who have been facilitating workshops for the community over the last year.

This is a big step for them to go form an afternoon workshop to a full weekend and personally I am utter delighted to see this happen for them and
    for everyone who will benefit from this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

I saw these leaflets last Saturday night in the Academy...lets just say I'm sceptical about the spiritual side of BDSM...though I wouldn't dismiss it as a metaphorical concept.

I would go, except the fee is like 140 euros...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I was at that event as well ( the venue it's self is an unmentionable one ).
    I am not skeptical about it as all as being a practitioner of kundalini tantra I take the point of view that every orgasm is a step to the path of knowledge and enlightenment.
    It is two full day workshops in a city centre hotel from my experiences that is a good price
    for it and below par for what the likes of Tantra Ireland runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

why did this thread get deleted only for it to be reposted again :confused:

I do like a good thread that gives me ample opportunities to flex my paronomasia muscle, but I have to ask, what has this got to do with Atheism or Agnosticism?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

why did this thread get deleted only for it to be reposted again :confused:
    The thread you saw was posted by a new-reg poster with a single post - to promote an event.
    Accordingly Robin deleted it as spam.
    I do like a good thread that gives me ample opportunities to flex my paronomasia muscle, but I have to ask, what has this got to do with Atheism or Agnosticism?
    I think we can let this one slip through the relevance filter - although tbf there is a mention of a 'sacred practice'! :)

Are you saying that there are nothing which agnostics hold sacred?
    Or that an Agnostic in thier search to ponder the possiblites of the universe and ofshcrodinger's Dieties may not consider such explorations either for personal or philosphical reasons?

• Advertisement

Dades wrote: »
    I think we can let this one slip through the relevance filter

very well, letting the slipping through continue... giggity!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

I remain sceptical to say the least.

I also don't see the relevance, I mean if the posts nothing more than a tee hee hee, he said p*&£$, fine.

Otherwise you may as well open the flood gates to every whacked out new age claptrap, since it 'may' be of interest to agnostics.

As bad as organised religion is at least people have a cultural or historical reason for buying into it, but this stuff I'll never understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I saw these leaflets last Saturday night in the Academy...lets just say I'm sceptical about the spiritual side of BDSM...though I wouldn't dismiss it as a metaphorical concept.

I've frequently heard it said that being able to rise above pain gives a sort of higher conciousness or awarness, along the lines of the idea that you are not your thoughts. Certainly thats what a few have said with regards suspension. Personally, due to my not very submissive nature, the idea of that kind of thing in a BDSM scenario doesn't appeal to me, at all, at all (if that indeed is what they're getting at). Each unto their own, however.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I cannot of course speak for all atheists, but I'm pretty sure most of them who have logically come to the conclusion that god is a load of clap trap, also think the same of all that other hippy, new age clap trap. :)

Beruthiel wrote: »
    clap trap. :)

and in this instance, it could mean literally :pac:

• Advertisement

Nodin wrote: »
    I've frequently heard it said that being able to rise above pain gives a sort of higher conciousness or awarness, along the lines of the idea that you are not your thoughts. Certainly thats what a few have said with regards suspension. Personally, due to my not very submissive nature, the idea of that kind of thing in a BDSM scenario doesn't appeal to me, at all, at all (if that indeed is what they're getting at). Each unto their own, however.

Yes, well, I wouldn't know anything about that. :pac:
    and in this instance, it could mean literally

Careful now. I'm sure you were just making a play on words, but some people might find the insinuation that the fetish scene is somehow dirty to be offensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭pts

Careful now. I'm sure you were just making a play on words, but some people might find the insinuation that the fetish scene is somehow dirty to be offensive.
    Now if there was only some kind of legislation which prevented people offending other peoples beliefs......

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Sorry, but what's BDSM?

something... something... sadomasicism?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Sorry, but what's BDSM?

something... something... sadomasicism?

Bondage and discipline.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Ah! I'll see you there.

father_ted_down_with_this_sort_of_thing.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

As bad as organised religion is at least people have a cultural or historical reason for buying into it, but this stuff I'll never understand.
    The sacred practice has thousands of years of history, just never saw it approach from the perspective of BDSM.

*runs off to find the wife*

You don't have to be a submissive to take part in power exchange and to be on the reciveing end of S&M. Esp when it is not about pain but different sensations and altered states.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Esp when it is not about pain but different sensations and altered states.

So should I assume when my OH beat me with a spatula when I proposed going to this that she was for it or against it?... I'm confused, was she trying to cause me pain or merely alter my state and give me different sensations to show her approval of the idea? (particularly my conscious state I think as she kept aiming for the back of my head.)

pts wrote: »
    Now if there was only some kind of legislation which prevented people offending other peoples beliefs......

Now there's a scary sexy strange thought....imagine BDSM being a belief system?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

*Every orgasm helps you along the road to enlightenment*

haha:D

Don't see why this thread has any relevance here.

• Advertisement

Now there's a scary sexy strange thought....imagine BDSM being a belief system?

Never heard of Gorians?

Never heard of Gorians?

It all smacks of people playing too much Dungeons and Dragons

and this is coming from the rpg mod :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I'll also be running a number of workshops this weekend.

Self immolation and your inner child.

Cure your eczema through Dervish Whirling.

Your cock in a breadbun-a guide to a doughy spiritual path.

:pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Thaedydal wrote: »
    the workshop is about unlocking the potential of BDSM as a sacred practice.
    The A+A forum is all about the lack of sacred practices -- other than the obvious giggle-factor, can somebody please remind me why this thread is here?

I'm getting double-vision and my sockpuppetometer is twitching something frightful.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

spatula

I like that word :)

count_spatula_41074.jpg

Eh eh eh....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I don't think it appears very centred around God or beliefs. From googling Dossie Easton I think she seems more of a rational sex therapist than a delusional hippy.

However, why you've posted this here, I don't know. I replied in S&S as I was interested in learning exactly what a workshop like this would entail, and that is a valid forum for discussing that, however, I don't see what it has to do with atheism and agnosticism (or even agnosticism specifically....).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

While I'm not even going to discuss my own sexual interests I do think that since its being advertised as a spirituality that it doesn't really belong here. Surely the spirituality forum would be beteer.

Also I dont see why open minded christans coulnd't participate. After all if your other half wants to be hancuffed during it then surely its ok?

But ty to T for showing how diverse ireland has become. I'm giving 3:1 odds that there will be old women outside with rosaries. 666:1 odds that they decide to use them as kinky objects after hearing what its about. and 99:1 odds that the pope will be there

It all smacks of people playing too much Dungeons and Dragons

and this is coming from the rpg mod :)

Bit more Warhammer fantasy, I would have said...However, it predates certainly WH.

Obviously they failed a few stealth rolls here....
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4996410.stm

Bit more Warhammer fantasy, I would have said...However, it predates certainly WH.

Obviously they failed a few stealth rolls here....
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4996410.stm

Perhaps less dragons and more dungeons then :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

robindch wrote: »
    can somebody please remind me why this thread is here?
    Takes people minds away from carping in the other threads and provided a great opportunity for a Father Ted pic? Sold for me anyway. ;)

Advertisement