Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

End of iphone contract

Options
  • 27-04-2009 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

When the end of the 18 month contract is reached, are you able to get the phone unlocked? My wifes one is up in the summer and would love to get my mitts on it but use it on Vodafone prepay APN - 20c per mb. €30 a month for a bit of browsing the papers on the train is off the wall.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

No, unfortunately. Someone questioned O2 about this on their forums and were basically told that they won't unlock it when the contract is up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭O2_Daryll

Ya O2 have the exclusive rights to carry the iPhone for the foreseeable future so handsets will remain locked to O2.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭philiporeilly

Obviously its not in O2's interest to unlock the phone for other networks, but if you know how to switch on a computer you're technically qualified to jailbreak it yourself.

Also dig out and double check your contract as there seems to be many 12mth versions out there by mistake. Call O2 on 1909 to get a copy if you dont have it as it means you can leave earlier or upgrade sooner.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

How can they do that when they unlock other phones? The contract period is up. Is it in the small print?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭rordeb

Maybe O2 will offer a similar prepay deal on data - would keep light data users happy. A happy bunny will spend more on calls and messaging !

The vodafone offe of 20c per mb is a brill deal for iphone use as most people use wifi at home.

Maybe ill jailbreak it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭666bxg

Is it a 1st gen iPhone by any chance? If so it should be easy enough to unlock

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭rordeb

Its a current model - will look on the boards to see what I need to do - would much prefer if O2 would offer a data charge of 20c per mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

mobius42 wrote: »
    No, unfortunately. Someone questioned O2 about this on their forums and were basically told that they won't unlock it when the contract is up.

How is that legal? O2 shouldn't have any right to withhold an unlock code on a phone where the subsidy has been paid off.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

How is that legal? O2 shouldn't have any right to withhold an unlock code on a phone where the subsidy has been paid off.

On what grounds would it be illegal?

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    On what grounds would it be illegal?

As the subsidy has been paid off, the user should have the right to use the phone as they see fit. What right do O2 havein refusing an unlock code on a phone which is 100pc owned by the customer. By refusing to supply the unlock code O2 are effectively controlling a phone which they have no say over.

If there isn't any legislation in place there needs to be soon as this is an abuse.

• Advertisement

As the subsidy has been paid off, the user should have the right to use the phone as they see fit. What right do O2 havein refusing an unlock code on a phone which is 100pc owned by the customer. By refusing to supply the unlock code O2 are effectively controlling a phone which they have no say over.

I still don't see how that is illegal. Immoral, perhaps, illegal, I doubt it.
    If there isn't any legislation in place there needs to be soon as this is an abuse.

How can you legislate for something like this? I am no legal expert, but I really can't see how you can make it illegal not to supply an unlock code.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Much as I'd love the iPhone, I'm sick of O2 screwing it for every cent. I'm having a good look at the alternatives, and will wait in the vain hope that Apple release it to all carriers rather than O2 exclusively.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

They sold a locked phone and that's what the purchaser gets to keep. If they sold the phone as an unlocked phone then the user would have a right to have an unlocked version.

It sucks but there you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You bought the phone on the understanding that it would only be possible to use it on the O2 network. You were never led to believe it was any other way. Therefore there was no breach of consumer law when the phone was sold. In addition, a locked phone doesn't prevent you from changing networks (most networks will give you a free phone if you switch), so there's nothing anti-competitive there either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Dades wrote: »
    They sold a locked phone and that's what the purchaser gets to keep. If they sold the phone as an unlocked phone then the user would have a right to have an unlocked version.

It sucks but there you go.

+1

whiterebel wrote: »
    and will wait in the vain hope that Apple release it to all carriers rather than O2 exclusively.

I doubt it is ever going to happen. It's all down to the US marketing machine, and the way the US mobile phone market works.

In the US, people will and do jump from operator to operator purely for a particular model of phone. AT&T have pretty much saved their own bacon in the current economic climate due to the iPhone, and revenues from it. So it makes sense, in the US, for the various carriers to have exclusive rights to a particular mobile phone model. I can't really see that changing over this side of the pond, tbh.

I still don't see how that is illegal. Immoral, perhaps, illegal, I doubt it.

How can you legislate for something like this? I am no legal expert, but I really can't see how you can make it illegal not to supply an unlock code.

I'm asking aswell, I'm not sure what the law is in Ireland either. I do know that other countries in Europe have legislation to deal with it; where the customer knows the amount of subsidy and where the carrier is legally obliged to issue unlock codes after the subsidy has been paid off, italy is one example.

Do you not think that Ireland would benefit from similar laws?

In fact, since we're at saturation point now and the operators by-and-large all provide comparable price plans it makes sense now that the primary factor on which companies will compete is the particular models of phone which they offer. If all operators were required to be allowed to carry any phone, the market would be stagnant - people wouldn't switch to get the latest and greatest. This could lead to a cartel and price fixing on the operators' part.

So, locking the iPhone in fact increases competitiveness in the market and keeps prices down. Wait till the G1 is released here (probably by 3?), you'll see the operators going nuts to offer better and better data packages.

seamus wrote: »
    In fact, since we're at saturation point now and the operators by-and-large all provide comparable price plans it makes sense now that the primary factor on which companies will compete is the particular models of phone which they offer. If all operators were required to be allowed to carry any phone, the market would be stagnant - people wouldn't switch to get the latest and greatest. This could lead to a cartel and price fixing on the operators' part.

So, locking the iPhone in fact increases competitiveness in the market and keeps prices down. Wait till the G1 is released here (probably by 3?), you'll see the operators going nuts to offer better and better data packages.

That is honestly one of the oddest things I've read on boards. Can't agree with any of that logic. Just so i'm clear, you're arguing that restricting the products that a company can offer is good for competitiveness and the consumer?

That is honestly one of the oddest things I've read on boards. Can't agree with any of that logic. Just so i'm clear, you're arguing that restricting the products that a company can offer is good for competitiveness and the consumer?

Yeah, think about it - each company trying to out do one another by offering the best phone, with the caveat that it is used exclusively on their network.

• Advertisement

Yeah, think about it - each company trying to out do one another by offering the best phone, with the caveat that it is used exclusively on their network.

Maybe if they all sold the same products they might have to differentiate themselves in other ways? Such as price and customer service.

Price and customer service are largely intangible and unless there are massive differences in either, people are unlikely to change. Overall people tend to be loyal to providers so long as they're happy. In addition to that, when the operators are so massive and prices are fixed across the entire island (as opposed to varying per-store), it's very difficult for a particular operator to sufficiently differentiate on price without the competitors quickly catching up.

A phone however is a tangible object and a reason to switch.

Think about it this way - you're looking for a new car. Your regular car dealership is offering you a lamborghini. The one down the road is offering you a Ferrari. Both are the same price, have the same guarantee and get the same mileage. However the Ferrari has one or two minor bells and whistles and built-in GPS. And you just prefer the look of the Ferrari. So you'll buy the Ferrari.

Thus, the guy selling the Lamborghini needs to adapt and find a comparable car or change his price to steal back his customers. But if your regular dealer was also selling the Ferrari, you'd have bought it from him and the market doesn't change or benefit.

Price and customer service are largely intangible and unless there are massive differences in either, people are unlikely to change. Overall people tend to be loyal to providers so long as they're happy. In addition to that, when the operators are so massive and prices are fixed across the entire island (as opposed to varying per-store), it's very difficult for a particular operator to sufficiently differentiate on price without the competitors quickly catching up.

A phone however is a tangible object and a reason to switch.

Think about it this way - you're looking for a new car. Your regular car dealership is offering you a lamborghini. The one down the road is offering you a Ferrari. Both are the same price, have the same guarantee and get the same mileage. However the Ferrari has one or two minor bells and whistles and built-in GPS. And you just prefer the look of the Ferrari. So you'll buy the Ferrari.

Thus, the guy selling the Lamborghini needs to adapt and find a comparable car or change his price to steal back his customers. But if your regular dealer was also selling the Ferrari, you'd have bought it from him and the market doesn't change or benefit.

And if the both dealers offer the same cars?

Maybe if they all sold the same products they might have to differentiate themselves in other ways? Such as price and customer service.

As Seamus points out, the likes of customer service is hard to quantify, however, something tangible, or dare I say desirable, is not.
    And if the both dealers offer the same cars?

And that's where exclusivity comes into the mix - operators trying to out do each other to ensure this never happens. :)

Sorry, I added a bit onto the end of it. If both dealers offer the same cars, then nothing changes and prices don't drop.

In fact, if you're aware that both dealers have both types of vehicle, then you're unlikely to even bother checking what the other guy is offering and just go with your regular guy. :)

("You" being, "your average person", not you specifically)

• Subscribers Posts: 16,570 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Price and customer service are largely intangible and unless there are massive differences in either, people are unlikely to change.

Don't believe I've ever heard someone call price intangible Seamus! Couldn't disagree more with your analysis, by tying themselves to O2 apple have reduced competition, not increased it. O2 charge whatever they like, don't bother developing features like visual voicemail and people are still forced to go with them if they want an Iphone.

Your car analogy is poor, there is competition between ferrari garages on discounts (price fixing is illegal), you can bring one in from the UK and most importantly, if you sell it on to someone else they don't have to use specific 'ferrari' fuel to keep using it.

And that's where exclusivity comes into the mix - operators trying to out do each other to ensure this never happens. :)

The problem with this is they don't as far as the consumer is concerned. They outdo each other by offering the best of deals to the maker.

Sorry, I added a bit onto the end of it. If both dealers offer the same cars, then nothing changes and prices don't drop.

In fact, if you're aware that both dealers have both types of vehicle, then you're unlikely to even bother checking what the other guy is offering and just go with your regular guy. :)

("You" being, "your average person", not you specifically)

When was the last time you bought a car Seamus?:D

As Seamus points out, the likes of customer service is hard to quantify, however, something tangible, or dare I say desirable, is not.

Customer service is a lot easier to quantify than desire.

You seem to be intent on exclusive products being the one and only method that a company has of seperating itself from the competition.

When was the last time you bought a car Seamus?:D
    Personally, I'd go to a mate and wouldn't bother with a dealer. :) Yes, it was a bad example, I wasn't trying to equate it directly, but anyway :)
    copacetic wrote: »
    Don't believe I've ever heard someone call price intangible Seamus!
    But it is at levels we're talking about. Until a massive price discrepancy exists, people are largely lazy about it. That is, if O2 are charging me €40 a month and the same calls on Vodafone would be €38 a month, where's the drive to switch to Vodafone? That €2 a month comes out my account - I don't feel it, it's intangible. I'm not going to go to the bother of switching to the other provider for the sake of €24/year. Indeed, I did switch this year and my personal time involved in making that switch was far greater than €24 :)
    But if Vodafone had a great phone that O2 don't and can't stock, I'm going to go to them. Which forces O2 to find their own competing offer.

However, if O2 also stock this great phone, I'm going to stick with them for an extra €2 per month and O2 are given no reason to improve anything.

We're in limbo slightly at the moment because there is yet to be a competing device for the iPhone, despite what anyone else says. Yes, it has fanboy appeal, but there are several other factors (the app store and integrated WiFi primarily) which set it apart. If the G1 is all that it promises, then it poses very real competition for the iPhone and when the time comes for me to make the decision, I'll pick the phone that I think is better and probably barely blink at who the provider is.

• Advertisement

Customer service is a lot easier to quantify than desire.

How? :) Case and point, look at the hysteria over the iPhone.
    You seem to be intent on exclusive products being the one and only method that a company has of seperating itself from the competition.

I wouldn't say the one and only. But think about it, how many of the average Joe Soaps factor in Customer Service when buying a phone? I would say very few. They pick up the phone, check out it's features, see what the look and feel of it are, see what the keypad/screen is like.

Advertisement