Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extra exercise but gaining weight?!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭chrism2007

cowzerp wrote: »
    For 1, nobody said anything about split sprints!
    and for 2, look at long distance runners, there all skinny and low muscled!

sonia o sullivan been 1 example.

Running will not build muscle, as i already stated (unless your a genetic freak)

Your wrong, and on a negative calorie diet you would not gain either so there is lots of truths been left out here.

+1

the whole time i read this thread i was picturing sonia o sullivan :pac:

anyone who thinks sprinting/running builds muscle hasnt a clue what there talking about

bodybuilders do f*ck all cardio for a reason

way too many people who think they know what there saying, but giving people completely the wrong info on this forum

cardio is catabolic. simple as

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

chrism2007 wrote: »
    way too many people who think they know what there saying, but giving people completely the wrong info on this forum

Tom Seabourne, who has a doctorate in exercise science. "They're all muscle from sprinting, using ATP [adenosine triphosphate] as their energy source." Sprinting recruits fast-twitch muscle fibers; slower running does not. If your goal is to increase the muscle mass in your legs, then include a day or two of sprint training each week

A clueless doctorate in exercise science.

they hand these things out to anyone these days :mad:

ntlbell wrote: »
    Tom Seabourne, who has a doctorate in exercise science. "They're all muscle from sprinting, using ATP [adenosine triphosphate] as their energy source." Sprinting recruits fast-twitch muscle fibers; slower running does not. If your goal is to increase the muscle mass in your legs, then include a day or two of sprint training each week

yes by sprinting 100 metres in 15 seconds. do you honestly think if you or i went out sprinting we would build much muscle?

our version of sprinting and hussain bolts version of sprinting are slightly different :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭celestial

ntlbell wrote: »

Well now we're talking about two different things - does running build muscle vs did the OP built muscle and this it the cause of her 'weight gain'.

The answer to the latter is no - as we've said. Re the former - of course you can build some muscle while running - any stress placed on muscle that is sufficient to trigger adaptation will results in muscle gain - but this is when someone starts off doing it for the first time - newbie type 'gains'.

Also - recruiting fast-twitch muscle fibres does not necessarily equal building muscle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

mrDerek wrote: »
    my kinda woman ;) haha

becarefull there derek, i got a warning for sayin "pics?"
    apparently asking for pics is against the rules.

guess some people dont have a sense of humor. i got asked for a video of my deadlift last week, i wonder if i should report that.

• Advertisement

chrism2007 wrote: »
    +1

the whole time i read this thread i was picturing sonia o sullivan :pac:

anyone who thinks sprinting/running builds muscle hasnt a clue what there talking about

bodybuilders do f*ck all cardio for a reason

tom platz usualy cycled 20miles after his leg workouts, cardio isnt catabolic, not eating enough calories is catabolic

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

celestial wrote: »
    Well now we're talking about two different things - does running build muscle vs did the OP built muscle and this it the cause of her 'weight gain'.

The answer to the latter is no - as we've said. Re the former - of course you can build some muscle while running - any stress placed on muscle that is sufficient to trigger adaptation will results in muscle gain - but this is when someone starts off doing it for the first time - newbie type 'gains'.

Also - recruiting fast-twitch muscle fibres does not necessarily equal building muscle.

*shurg*

I don't claim to be an expert, I didn't think one had to be to post.

I definitely gained some muscle when starting out maybe it was newbie type gains, but I was under the assumption from the poster's post she was only running a few weeks and would be seeing those gains.

But as you mentioned for me anyway it might have been the muscle's just hardening up and having more definition with weight loss.

crazy idea. why dont we try help the OP rather than argueing?

this thread is getting funny at this stage. :D

i think we need more info from the OP to be honest

fact is theres a lot of different reasons why she could have gained 5 pounds.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

becarefull there derek, i got a warning for sayin "pics?"
    apparently asking for pics is against the rules.

guess some people dont have a sense of humor. i got asked for a video of my deadlift last week, i wonder if i should report that.
    Ya see, one is just taking an interest, and one is just being a tool. Which category do you think you fell into?

Ya see, one is just taking an interest, and one is just being a tool. Which category do you think you fell into?

internet,
    serious business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Rio1... any news. Are you still keeping up the training?

Ok my weight definitely went up a few pounds for a week or two & seems to be going the other way now.
    Definitely can run/jog longer so am seeing some fitness results. Enjoying this running malarky, apart from the sore knees & hips :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

tom platz usualy cycled 20miles after his leg workouts, cardio isnt catabolic, not eating enough calories is catabolic

++1 to that - a lot of people underestimate their calorie intake .. A tough weights session followed by say 30 mins of hard cardio would have a huge calorie burn if your working your ass off ..

Advertisement